Why I don't think we should sack Solskjaer...now

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Nothing in my post says we should be winning the league every season. Ole is damaging the club. How can being the worst manager with the worst results not damage the club? You think results dont matter? Well then lets just get relegated. No harm done. How do you think we look like to the rest of the football world? Incompetent, useless, a joke? That ruins our reputation. That ruins attracting star players. That is a slap in the face of our history. That dismantles our club.
No one said a new manager will bring instant glory. The past managers have proved that. But what choice do we have. Give in? Oh well the past managers didnt work and yeah this one is the worst we have but we cant see any reason to believe it will get any better so lets just stick at it. Thats the most ridiculous view. If a country is failing they vote for a new administration. If a company is failing they hire a new CEO. If a football club is failing they hire a new manager. Unless your Kodak.
I feel like you’re arguing with yourself. Rather than anything I actually suggested.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Not sure where in the post you replied to was it mentioned that Utd should be winning the league every time. It just mentions there should be some accountability in the way we perform on the pitch. Our performances has been atrocious, in some games we did not even have a shot on target in an entire half even against average teams. How is expecting better just shots on target in games being precious? Its fans like you that just suppress any rational expectation.
The club is in a better state than it was in the fi al throws of Jose’s tenure.

I have expectation. I just have a sensible timeline attached to it.

POF

If they get rid of Ole now, who is heading up the recruitment strategy? Who has ultimate responsibility for identifying players with "United mentality" that is going to bring about the culture shift that is the club's "long term strategy"?

Or was that long term strategy just a 6 month waste of money?

If the club hires another manager without putting a modern senior management structure in place around him, they really will never learn.

Godfather

It really isn't. The squad is a shambles and paper thin. The only thing better now is that we don't have a toxic manager at the helm. Although a good mood overwhelmed Ole isn't much better.

It really isn't. The squad is a shambles and paper thin. The only thing better now is that we don't have a toxic manager at the helm. Although a good mood overwhelmed Ole isn't much better.
Exactly, we’ve extended players we never should have, we’ve alienated the likes of Lukaku and have replaced him with someone who barely scores, we’ve alienated Matic and right now we’re playing Fred and Andreas. We sold Fellaini and well, see Andreas again.

We’re in a worse state, but as I say, the players are more likable as is the manager so to many that equals “better state”.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I’m really not certain it is, is this simply based on us having more likable younger players? Because in every other aspect of football, we look in a much worse state.

Club. Not team. We support a Club. Not a first 11. Nor a squad.

I don’t trust Woodward.
I don’t rate Ole as a manager.

But I do trust every single player decision that Ole has made. In. Or out.

Long term on the pitch performance won’t improve much with him at the helm. But a period of calm, time to plan long term... he can sit in that chair for that.

Note that this is ALL predicated on the Board having a long term strategy.

lex talionis

There are only two compelling arguments for keeping Ole through the end of the season, at which time he should be sacked.

The first is that he really is the right manager for United and that he only needs time and the additional transfer window to strengthen the squad to the point where his successor can successfully manage the squad to a top four contender next season.

The second is that there is no realistic chance of signing a quality manager as his successor at this time.

I'm not convinced by either argument, although we forum posters really have no idea who is and not reasonably attainable right now. Maybe Allegri wants to come to United but needs a full season off before committing himself to one of the toughest jobs in the entire sports world.

We're basically effed, mates, and we'll be having this same conversation for the next 5 months. Hope of getting back into the CL next season is dim, although not fully extinguished. Hope of bringing in top class players is also dim and we've been reduced to having to settle for the likes of Fred. Unless something changes soon, this is what we better be prepared to live with for quite some time.

UnrelatedPsuedo

There are only two compelling arguments for keeping Ole through the end of the season, at which time he should be sacked.

The first is that he really is the right manager for United and that he only needs time and the additional transfer window to strengthen the squad to the point where his successor can successfully manage the squad to a top four contender next season.

The second is that there is no realistic chance of signing a quality manager as his successor at this time.

I'm not convinced by either argument, although we forum posters really have no idea who is and not reasonably attainable right now. Maybe Allegri wants to come to United but needs a full season off before committing himself to one of the toughest jobs in the entire sports world.

We're basically effed, mates, and we'll be having this same conversation for the next 5 months. Hope of getting back into the CL next season is dim, although not fully extinguished. Hope of bringing in top class players is also dim and we've been reduced to having to settle for the likes of Fred. Unless something changes soon, this is what we better be prepared to live with for quite some time.
Cant we just.... enjoy the good games and be disappointed at the bad ones?.... Like all football fans?

Tell me that we won’t win a title until 2025 and I’m absolutely fine. Tell me we’ll threaten for two thirds of a season for the next 6 years but fail.... Fcuk that.

We are a football club. Wear it well. We went 26 years without a league trophy. Liverpool went longer. We can take some time to build a better house.

Wilt

Mourinho was sacked after 17 games and 26 points.

Utd have to beat Spurs, City and Everton for Ole to surpass Jose by a mere one point.

Who would have dreamt a year after sacking Mourinho we would have made absolutely zero progression?

leontas

While I broadly agree with the OP, I don't think we should just let Ole continue till the end of the season and hope for the best. If we act now, we can still salvage something from this season.

If we finish outside CL places (which is still a semi-realistic target), we'll have challenges to attract the players we want in the summer and then we risk handicapping any new manager coming in.

Kurton

I'm not sure how the club is better than it was in Jose's final weeks of management. We have fewer points than we had under Jose last year with the same number of games. We have lost more games than we did around the same time last year. We are two losses away from being 16th and given the next two fixtures, that's highly likely. We struggle to score goals and once we do the money Ole squandered on defense isn't able to keep the lead for more than a few minutes irrespective of the opposition. I had a realistic expectation for us to be around 7-8th places given how thin squad is, but we have been floating around an average position of 11th most of the season. I'd like to know what your expectation is, 15th?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I'm not sure how the club is better than it was in Jose's final weeks of management. We have fewer points than we had under Jose last year with the same number of games. We have lost more games than we did around the same time last year. We are two losses away from being 16th and given the next two fixtures, that's highly likely. We struggle to score goals and once we do the money Ole squandered on defense isn't able to keep the lead for more than a few minutes irrespective of the opposition. I had a realistic expectation for us to be around 7-8th places given how thin squad is, but we have been floating around an average position of 11th most of the season. I'd like to know what your expectation is, 15th?
The Club. Not the results.

For what feels like the hundredth time : It will take years to get back to where we all want to be.

We need to lower the age of the squad, get a sensible wage structure, give our youth players time, space and opportunity to grow, get rid of players that can’t or don’t contribute, ensure that almost all signings are young & hungry.

All of those things are happening. Sadly not at the same time that we’re winning football matches.

If we had a strong January window, decent cup runs, finished in the top half of the table, brought in a top manager in June: I’m happy.

cyril C

Tactics, let's talk about Tactics. I don't care whether it is 433 or 4231 or 532, what is missing, and most evident since day 1 of this season, since there is no more excuse, is the lack of team play. We have been a 1 trick pony - counter-attack team only. While this works against top teams (at the expense on possession but people seem to complain less on Ole than Mourinho's defensive tactics), it is terrible against bottom clubs. We have no organisation at the back, no organisation in the middle, and I only see Rashford making solo run into a defence pack of 4 defenders . If Ole should be sack soon, it should be his lack of TACTICS. Just putting names down as 433 or 4231 is primary school stuff, the squad needs to work as a team,. which we are not.