Why is Giggs being continually mentioned as a potential manager of United?

RustyS

Got me thinking, does the teams runs less than last season?

I don't think they run any bit less, I know passion is more than just running, but if they run the same as last year but with zero end product, surely there's more than just not giving it their all?
I can only seem to find stats for the CL and even then, I can only found this year's CL ones. However, looking at the numbers, I doubt we ran more last year. Adjusted to 90 minutes, some of the numbers are really impressive. For example RVP, the supposedly not arsed RVP, ran 41544 metres in 324 minutes. That is roughly 11.54 kilometres every 90 minutes. I'd love it if someone has PL stats and perhaps stats from last year.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
It is not motivation, it is confidence and tactics. We look like a broken team. For the most part, the players are trying. Rafael, Evra, Rooney, Januzaj, Fellaini ran around a lot and got physical and showed passion. But that amounted to nothing and will continue to amount to nothing because each player is playing on his own. Improvisation on the pitch has carried us to 7th place but you need to have a team that is clicking if you really want to be in the top 4 or anywhere near it.

The biggest difference on Sunday against Pool was not motivation and "who wanted it more". It was that a well-drilled and very cohesive team played against a group of good players who have no understanding of how to play together on the pitch. Repeat that liverpool match ten times and we would lose nine and fluke a draw.
Well said.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
I don't know about a replacement for Moyes but I would dearly I like to see Giggs replace one of Carrick or Fellaini in the midfield today. He is our most dynamic/creative midfielder (Yes, even at 40) and boy do we need that tonight. When on his game, he links up very well with Kagawa, Rooney, Welbeck and Valencia (Who I guess will be the front 4). Slow, sedate football isn't going to overturn this deficit. I hope Moyes' rolls the dice on him.

On the subject - The only interim manager I would want is Sir Alex. If not, then end the season with Moyes and assess where we are.

Lu Tze

He's boring to listen to and gives the impression that he's not very intelligent. Plus he's an untrustworthy, sneaky little shit. Sure he has a lot of footballing experience, but so do lots of other players. And footballing experience isn't everything in football management. There's absolutely nothing to suggest he would be suited to management.
This.

Siorac

Much like Seedorf at Milan, appointing a legend on an interim basis could be a smart move. Worse case scenario results remain the same from here 'til the end of the season, but at least it would be a club icon and inspiring figure at the helm.
Seedorf is in freefall at Milan though; Italian papers say that Berlusconi has already "cooled on him" and he might be sacked soon so not the best example.

I wouldn't want Giggs as a permanent manager but I'd be okay with him as a caretaker until the end of the season. At this point I can't see the players raising themselves for Moyes ever again so the sooner we are rid of him, the better. Giggs is surely respected in the dressing room, he might be able to lift the mood somewhat.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Please... for the love of god... didn't Moyes taught us something?

What has he done to merit this job?

(Before you come out with 40 years of united through and through and all that) Has he proven anyting managerial wise?

Take Keane, 35 years of passion and performances, does he make a good manager? Infact, I don't think any Ex-United player makes a good manager (midtable perhaps), name me a good ex-united manager worthy and proven for the top level football

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Take Keane, 35 years of passion and performances, does he make a good manager? Infact, I don't think any Ex-United player makes a good manager (midtable perhaps), name me a good ex-united manager worthy and proven for the top level football
What a silly post, if we were able to name you a manager, would that have any bearing whatsoever on Giggs?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What a silly post, if we were able to name you a manager, would that have any bearing whatsoever on Giggs?
what's silly?

Many here wanted Keane as managers, look at where he ended up.

If you can name one (and I don't think you can) it simply means that just because you're a red through and through and loves the club doesn't automatically make you a great manager

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
what's silly?
Many here wanted Keane as managers, look at where he ended up.
I don't belive firstly that many wanted Keane as manager, but it's moot.

WHy is it silly? I'll explain it simply, take 10 players, if 9 of them fail as a football manager, does that have any bearing on the last player? Not in the slightest. So, your reasoning of "No ex-Utd player has been a top coach, therefore GIggs won't", has about as much merit to it as saying 9 people tried to do X, but I won't bother because they failed... :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think I've read once from anyone on this forum that they want Giggs as a full time manager...

It would just be as a stop-gap until the end of the season - which is perfectly fine.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't belive firstly that many wanted Keane as manager, but it's moot.

WHy is it silly? I'll explain it simply, take 10 players, if 9 of them fail as a football manager, does that have any bearing on the last player? Not in the slightest. So, your reasoning of "No ex-Utd player has been a top coach, therefore GIggs won't", has about as much merit to it as saying 9 people tried to do X, but I won't bother because they failed... :lol:
Probably, just as the notions of "Giggs will make a great managers because he plays for United till he's 40, highly decorated, and well respected" holds no merits

Oggmonster

Much like Seedorf at Milan, appointing a legend on an interim basis could be a smart move. Worse case scenario results remain the same from here 'til the end of the season, but at least it would be a club icon and inspiring figure at the helm.
Seedorf isn't an interim manager, he's permanent and is doing a pretty awful job. Fans were protesting the other day so not sure whether he's improved anything really.

I'm not sure why people want Giggs as manager other than the romantic story involved in it all.

What's funny is people happily slag off the rest of our backroom staff. Moyes, Lumsden, Round, Neville....and yet Giggs is part of it but is heralded as our managerial saviour it seems? Why is everyone happy to imply Moyes etc are clueless but Giggs isn't? Just suits their argument it seems. If going to blame the rest of them he has to take some blame to.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Giggs taking over now would be like Shearer at the magpies, and like that one would probably end badly.
Not sure how it would end badly like Shearer... we're not fighting for relegation, in fact, we're not fighting for anything... so I don't really see what Giggs could do that would be anything like Shearer at Newcastle.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Seedorf isn't an interim manager, he's permanent and is doing a pretty awful job. Fans were protesting the other day so not sure whether he's improved anything really.

I'm not sure why people want Giggs as manager other than the romantic story involved in it all.

What's funny is people happily slag off the rest of our backroom staff. Moyes, Lumsden, Round, Neville....and yet Giggs is part of it but is heralded as our managerial saviour it seems? Why is everyone happy to imply Moyes etc are clueless but Giggs isn't? Just suits their argument it seems. If going to blame the rest of them he has to take some blame to.
You could equally say, why are you fabricating something that nobody - or very, very few people have said, just to make a point?!

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I'd much rather see Warren Joyce given a chance. He plays a very aesthetic style with the U21's, and if this season is to be a total write off and we look to blood some youth in while we've got the chance then who better than the previous U21's manager?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Probably, just as the notions of "Giggs will make a great managers because he plays for United till he's 40, highly decorated, and well respected" holds no merits
Precisely, but starting with someone who has spent a lot of time working closely with SAF (That also includes Scholes FWIW), then surely he has a better basis from which to build on? I think a lot of it has to do with personality, I am not sure Giggs would be a successful choice, I was just pointing out the idiocy of claiming that because we don't as of yet have an ex-united player become a top coach, that it would somehow play a part in Giggs career, but I think you realised that. FWIW, Giggs wouldn't be on my list, if it was "ex-Utd Players", I'd be struck between Laurent Blanc/OGS

Oggmonster

You could equally say, why are you fabricating something that nobody - or very, very few people have said, just to make a point?!
You're right, you could do. But the point still stands and I'll word it another way to make you happy.

Why are people so happy to see Giggs in charge til the end of the season but not say, Steve Round or Phil Neville? They're all part of the same backroom staff so how come Giggs is exempt from any of this criticism the rest of them get? And again, it goes back to the old point people used to make about Phelan where they seemed to have insider knowledge of what people did, no one actually knows what the coaches are doing.

There could even be arguments made that the likes of Round are more qualified having previous coaching experience. This is Giggs' first coaching role to my knowledge. I'm sure he's been round Fergie in the past but that doesn't automatically make him a good manager. Meulesteen and Querioz were very good coaches but not brilliant managers..

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Precisely, but starting with someone who has spent a lot of time working closely with SAF (That also includes Scholes FWIW), then surely he has a better basis from which to build on? I think a lot of it has to do with personality, I am not sure Giggs would be a successful choice, I was just pointing out the idiocy of claiming that because we don't as of yet have an ex-united player become a top coach, that it would somehow play a part in Giggs career, but I think you realised that. FWIW, Giggs wouldn't be on my list, if it was "ex-Utd Players", I'd be struck between Laurent Blanc/OGS
No Jay, I don't mean to discredit Giggs. We all love him.

But IMHO we just have to be ruthless, wake up and smell the coffee, no more romantism and start appointing managers based on merit.

He might / might not come good, but if we appoint him, we'll be repeating our mistakes with Moyes all over again (i.e. Hoping / praying / he will get it right based on nothing but hopes and expectations, instead based on past successes pattern)

That's all, sorry, I'm in no mood for romantism, specially after 7 mths of Moyes

Siorac

You're right, you could do. But the point still stands and I'll word it another way to make you happy.

Why are people so happy to see Giggs in charge til the end of the season but not say, Steve Round or Phil Neville? They're all part of the same backroom staff so how come Giggs is exempt from any of this criticism the rest of them get? And again, it goes back to the old point people used to make about Phelan where they seemed to have insider knowledge of what people did, no one actually knows what the coaches are doing.

There could even be arguments made that the likes of Round are more qualified having previous coaching experience. This is Giggs' first coaching role to my knowledge. I'm sure he's been round Fergie in the past but that doesn't automatically make him a good manager. Meulesteen and Querioz were very good coaches but not brilliant managers..
It's because Round and Phil Neville are Moyes' people, Moyes brought them to the club even if Phil Neville had been a great servant to United. They are part of Moyes' reign while Giggs is a remnant of the previous era even if he was only a player up until this season.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Ah, that's a fair point then.

What I'd say to that is - they're all Moyes people... Giggs is still a Fergie person, it means nothing in reality, but on paper it's a shift from a regime that really isn't working - even if Giggs is currently still part of that regime.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He'd be a logical interim / caretaker manager for the rest of the year. Nothing more.
yes... if we go out of europe tonight with a 5-0 hammering and moyes simply has to go as his position becomes untenable then giggs is the perfect person to step in till the end of the season as its not as if he can loose anything - if we suddenly see a dramatic turn around in form and we win most of our remaining games in spectacular style then he becomes a serious contender for the full time position.
saf of course could step in till the end of the season but I think it becomes very difficult for the eventual successor if saf is ready to step in should the need arise.

Player Red

I'd much rather see Warren Joyce given a chance. He plays a very aesthetic style with the U21's, and if this season is to be a total write off and we look to blood some youth in while we've got the chance then who better than the previous U21's manager?
It is suprising/disappointing that there never seems to be many internal promotions to managerial level within clubs. You would expect to see this in the lower leagues especially. Too many ex-footballers walking into managerial positions when coaches should be given the chance.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He knows how things were done when they were done right.
He knows how Manchester United should play and therefore how they should train.
He'd demand more respect.
He knows the players and who will want to leave etc and can therefore shape the team better for the next manager.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I dont know if the problem is a lack of motivation or a lack of confidence in Moyes' tactics and ability

Moriarty

So Giggs is exempt because he was here before Moyes but Phil's 15 years at the club mean nothing?
I like Phil Neville and wouldn't want him to follow Moyes out of the door. He's one of ours. Besides, even though he's on the coaching staff, I wouldn't have thought that he's in a position to influence anything Moyes does.

IrishLegend

We can say the same with the majority of our squad, and I can understand that.

We have practically nothing to play for, do you really expect them to knuckle down and give 110%? Plus most of them have nothing more to prove, and are guaranteed a spot in the WC squad irregardless.
My brain hurts every time someone uses this word.

Walters_19_MuFc

That's my problem with all this nonsense romantism

Managers have to have tactical ability First and Foremost, it's non negotiable. Those that are unproven in that department shouldn't even make the short list, ireggardles of how popular they are.

When they have fulfilled the first criteria, then only we'll move on to other supporting criteria (likeable, commanding respect, love the club, phylosophy, etc)

Kinda like choosing a race car and picking one because they have the best sets of audio
How do we know Giggs wouldn't be tactically good enough then? I used the example of Pep being so good tactically.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How do we know Giggs wouldn't be tactically good enough then? I used the example of Pep being so good tactically.
We don't know, he might be Tsun Tsu reincarnated, I might be Einstein if give the chance to work with NASA.

Butt might turn out to be our Pep, we never know. But do you take chances like that and just "hoping he cuts it" again? This is not a playing ground, you have to earn your stripes somewhere else and come back when you're proven, as in 99% of the jobs we've had.

It's one thing for championship teams to take a pun on fresh retiring ex footballer, but it's another thing for Manchester to do so.

Before you bring up Pep, He has managed their youth setup, and I believe his vision is quite remarkable behind the screen which makes the man up there thinks he'll cut it

Walters_19_MuFc

We don't know, he might be Tsun Tsu reincarnated, I might be Einstein if give the chance to work with NASA.

Butt might turn out to be our Pep, we never know. But do you take chances like that and just "hoping he cuts it" again? This is not a playing ground, you have to earn your stripes somewhere else and come back when you're proven, as in 99% of the jobs we've had.

It's one thing for championship teams to take a pun on fresh retiring ex footballer, but it's another thing for Manchester to do so.

Before you bring up Pep, He has managed their youth setup, and I believe his vision is quite remarkable behind the screen which makes the man up there thinks he'll cut it
How can you mention Pep then say 'do you take chances like that and just "hoping he cuts it" again'? Pep, whether he had a vision or not, having very little experience was a big risk for Barca and it paid off. Without trying, it is impossible to judge how good a manager could be. That said, he didn't inherited a bad team, did he?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How can you mention Pep then say 'do you take chances like that and just "hoping he cuts it" again'? Pep, whether he had a vision or not, having very little experience was a big risk for Barca and it paid off. Without trying, it is impossible to judge how good a manager could be. That said, he didn't inherited a bad team, did he?
No dude, you don't understand.

Pep manages Barca youth team, they can more than properly asses his capability as an actual Manager (albeit youth coach)

Giggs has never given the chance to show his capabilites yet (coach =/= with manager)

If you think Barcelona appointing Pep means we can appoint Giggs and they'll both perform, you'll be at the end of the day basing it on perception without actual prove.

Why don't make either Butt, Beckham, Scholes, Phil Neville, or Gary as the manager, they are all are in the class of 92

EDIT : Take Keane for examples, he jump straight into managerial role, it doesn't work for him at the end of the day. Infact, I've been telling you that Pep is an anomaly, not the norm. Many of ex-united players jump straight to managerial, and none of them have performed well enough to even get a look at at the top club. The sample is quite against Pep, like I said, for every Pep, there's 10+ Keane.

If you're fine with us taking another gamble, then by all means Giggs is the one you oughta gamble on, he's earned it. But don't make it as black and white that he's the perfect candidate, he's far from it, far form qualified, just like Moyes.

Walters_19_MuFc

No dude, you don't understand.

Pep manages Barca youth team, they can more than properly asses his capability as an actual Manager (albeit youth coach)

Giggs has never given the chance to show his capabilites yet (coach =/= with manager)

If you think Barcelona appointing Pep means we can appoint Giggs and they'll both perform, you'll be at the end of the day basing it on perception without actual prove.

Why don't make either Butt, Beckham, Scholes, Phil Neville, or Gary as the manager, they are all are in the class of 92

EDIT : Take Keane for examples, he jump straight into managerial role, it doesn't work for him at the end of the day. Infact, I've been telling you that Pep is an anomaly, not the norm. Many of ex-united players jump straight to managerial, and none of them have performed well enough to even get a look at at the top club. The sample is quite against Pep, like I said, for every Pep, there's 10+ Keane.

If you're fine with us taking another gamble, then by all means Giggs is the one you oughta gamble on, he's earned it. But don't make it as black and white that he's the perfect candidate, he's far from it, far form qualified, just like Moyes.
Bold point 1 - Lets be honest, managing Barca's youth team and 1st team are two different kettle of fish. Bigger ego's, more pressure, etc.

Bold point 2 - Well Butt's managed our reserves for more than a year. Maybe he should get the job. :p

Bod point 2 - I never once mentioned Giggs was the perfect candidate at all. The title of the thread is 'Why is Giggs being continually mentioned as a potential manager of United?'. Therefore, I give a few reasons as to why I feel this might be the case.

Like I said in my first post, Moyes is currently the manager of Man United, therefore, it's pointless talking about other potential managers anyway, in my opinion.

Amir

I don't want him as a permanent manager, I doubt many people do.

But if Moyes is sacked in the next week (fingers crossed...) then I'd have no problem with him taking the job until the end of the season.
My one worry in such a scenario is that if he does well, it would be very tempting to give him the job permanently. Which shouldn't be on.