Why is Jose so miserable these days?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
As insignificant as it may seem to some, I do think it'd help if he was more settled in Manchester....
As it stands, he's been living out of a suitcase for three months, 200 miles from his family. That's not ideal, even less so when the pressure is being ratcheted up and you have nowhere to retreat to.
I don't think this is insignificant at all. It suggests his work life balance is a mess, as it was at Chelsea when his father fell ill. This stuff really matters.

Parry Gallister

He's just bored of the games with the press I think.

He's lost some battles over the years which is inevitable and it's made him think twice about being so cocky again.

A bit wiser to it all I guess.
Agreed. He doesn't seem to be having fun talking to the press simply because he isn't. Don't blame him, he's done it a million times and it's still the same wankers spouting the same shite questions every 3-4 days over here and they've turned on him more than once.

InfiniteBoredom

Fergie looked proper depressed in every presser post-08.

I think it's mostly age. Hard to get jovial doing something you detest (presser that is, not the Utd job :nervous:)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

"I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather poke in the eye?
"

Chip

"I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather poke in the eye?
"
Morrissey in disguise? José's probably become a vegan too.

SATA

I think i read somewhere that he's still living in a hotel? Granted that the Lawry's is a five star, one has to think why he or the club hasn't got a proper apartment or house for him after already three months into the job

togg

I think i read somewhere that he's still living in a hotel? Granted that the Lawry's is a five star, one has to think why he or the club hasn't got a proper apartment or house for him after already three months into the job
Aren't his kids very settled in London schools? Not that he still couldn't get an apartment in Manchester I suppose. Still...it is a great Hotel!!

clarkydaz

Dont forget the Eva situation, that must be a huge drain on a person being played out in public

Drz

Wouldn't you be having to shoe horn Rooney into the team... knowing full well it could cost you the job and there is nothing you can do about it.

Plus he lost to the politics at Chelsea and Madrid.
:nono: Some could argue he lost vs himself at Madrid and Chelsea.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
His act was always going to wear out sooner than later, you go negative most of your career there will be consequences

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think it's simply because he has to control his emotions more.
All the videos I've seen of him in training, he's always laughing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yes. I also read somewhere that the club was considering organising for him to be commuting by chopper between London and Manchester. Living in a hotel long term isn't ideal.
I've lived in a hotel for four months before. The last month was depressing.

Rednails

Because he realises he is yesterday's man. Tactically, other rising Managers have passed him by.

Is Jose Mourinho up for the rebuild task at Man Utd or has game moved on without him?
Jason Burt Chief Football Correspondent Daily Telegraph.

Jose Mourinho is 53. Jürgen Klopp is 49, Antonio Conte is 47, Pep Guardiola is 45, Mauricio Pochettino? Just 44. Does the fact that Mourinho is already in his 50s matter?

Mourinho very much portrays himself – with justification – as the man who defies history, flouts convention. But football has few managers who go to a big club, one having to be rebuilt to be made competitive again, in their 50s and enjoy fabulous success.

OK, Claudio Ranieri is 64 and won the Premier League title last season in his first campaign at Leicester City. But Leicester did not need a rebuild. They just needed a shrewd Tinkerman. And it was, by common consent, a strange old season.

Ranieri won the Premier League at the age of 64

Ronald Koeman is the same age as Mourinho and has a big job on his hands to make Everton competitive again – and has made a fine start – but he is not under the same level of scrutiny or pressure.

This is not ageist. It is certainly not anti-Mourinho. United are not in crisis. It is not, after three successive defeats, asking the question as to whether – to put it bluntly – he is a bit of a busted flush even if, despite the wave of early season excitement, there remain serious concerns about his Chelsea implosion. Was that a blip or the start of a trend?

Instead it is simply to ask whether it is possible for a manager in his 50s to go to a club like United and succeed. And especially whether, in fact, football and management have moved on in a way that, maybe, Mourinho has not.

Of course, he returned to Chelsea and won the title – in his second season – aged 52 but the club he found was not vastly different from the one he had left behind. Chelsea had not moved too far away from the foundations he had laid before he was first sacked in 2007. The template was still there.

Since then he has won two league titles – respectable enough in a market where there is only one winner – but has left the two clubs he has managed to those triumphs in difficult circumstances.

This is not ageist. It is certainly not anti-Mourinho. United are not in crisis. It is not, after three successive defeats, asking the question as to whether – to put it bluntly – he is a bit of a busted flush even if, despite the wave of early season excitement, there remain serious concerns about his Chelsea implosion. Was that a blip or the start of a trend?

Instead it is simply to ask whether it is possible for a manager in his 50s to go to a club like United and succeed. And especially whether, in fact, football and management have moved on in a way that, maybe, Mourinho has not.

Of course, he returned to Chelsea and won the title – in his second season – aged 52 but the club he found was not vastly different from the one he had left behind. Chelsea had not moved too far away from the foundations he had laid before he was first sacked in 2007. The template was still there.

Maybe though Mourinho is the same but not the same. His methods have not evolved that much in recent years and unlike Sir Alex Ferguson – the man he dreams of emulating – he has not refreshed and changed his backroom staff in search of new ideas, new faces, new energy, new impetus. It is largely the same loyal personnel: Rui Faria, Silvino Louro and so on, who have followed this serial achiever across Europe. Except Mourinho is not quite the trophy-gatherer he once was, either. Between 2002 and 2010 he collected six league titles and two Champions Leagues.

Since then he has won two league titles – respectable enough in a market where there is only one winner – but has left the two clubs he has managed to those triumphs in difficult circumstances.

Mourinho's right-hand staff have not been changed Credit: PA
Mourinho may well still be a great coach – and few would sensibly argue otherwise – but is he still the Special One? It is surprising that he has not adapted more throughout the years and, specifically, has not adapted his spiky management in a game that has changed. Players need to be treated more subtly. The early weeks of Mourinho at United were full of stories of how he has brought a lightness and belief back to a club straitjacketed by the claustrophobic management of Louis van Gaal but there have been glimpses in the past week, with those three defeats, that he still has the style of management that can cause unnecessary conflict.

Interestingly, he has – again – turned it on to the younger players. After the defeat by Manchester City there was the claim that the game was too big for some of his players with the finger pointed – by implication – at Jesse Lingard and new signing Henrikh Mkhitarayan. After the defeat by Watford on Sunday he stoked that further with the suggestion that players lacked mental strength with the focus on “the left-back”, i.e. 21-year-old Luke Shaw.

Luke Shaw was singled out in United's defeat at Watford Credit: Reuters
Against Feyenoord in the Europa League last midweek there was the archetypal Mourinho attempt to display his displeasure in a triple substitution that always looks like it says more about the manager than the players.

So United knew what they were getting. A manager in his 50s such as Mourinho is not fundamentally going to change his ways although he has to be smart enough to adapt and there have been glimpses in the last few games that, when the pressure is on, he reverts to default mode.

There was logic in Mourinho’s appointment and there are signs that it will work out and he will be a success. Either way it is far too early to call it and certainly far too early to say it will fail. United reasoned they needed a big manager, a big personality, with a big profile, a man who could carry the club – they thought it was Van Gaal – especially as across the city, City had signed up Guardiola.

But while there is a freshness, a burst of new ideas and energy to Guardiola’s approach at City – just as there is with Klopp at Liverpool and with what Pochettino has done at Tottenham Hotspur – we are still waiting for that with Mourinho at United. A swagger has returned, although it has faltered of late, but a swagger and a barrel-load of big signings are not enough. Where is Mourinho’s big idea? The big bang really to get United moving once more?

Mourinho has 15 years of – mostly – astonishing success behind him in a remarkable career spread across four leagues. Few will top that or come close to maximising resources in the way he has done so. But there has been a sense for some time that football has moved on while, maybe, Mourinho has not. It is just a theory and a man of his talent, charisma and belief should demolish it. But it is a theory that will gather momentum unless that happens quickly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...-for-the-rebuilt-task-at-man-utd-or-has-game/

In todays DT, Christophe Dugarry is quoted as saying "Mourinho's last tactical success was that CL semi-final between Inter Milan and Barca. I think he has lost the plot. He believes he has become more important than the team."

SteveW

Lost something like 17 in last 30. He should be miserable

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
In todays DT, Christophe Dugarry is quoted as saying "Mourinho's last tactical success was that CL semi-final between Inter Milan and Barca. I think he has lost the plot. He believes he has become more important than the team."
That's ridiculous. When was Guardiola's last one then if they are just going to ignore the big league matches he's won

I remember a lot of people being impressed when he managed to find a way to stop that Liverpool team

It was only 1 season ago that he achieved this

The people writing Mourinho off one season after he won the league title easily are probably the same who said Fergie was finished in 2005

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
That's ridiculous. When was Guardiola's last one then if they are just going to ignore the big league matches he's won

I remember a lot of people being impressed when he managed to find a way to stop that Liverpool team

It was only 1 season ago that he achieved this

The people writing Mourinho off one season after he won the league title easily are probably the same who said Fergie was finished in 2005
Mourinho has had some wonderful tactical performances since the 2010 Champions League semi final, i'd agree but why bring Guardiola in a Mourinho specific discussion when Guardiola wasn't mentioned?

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Mourinho has had some wonderful tactical performances since the 2010 Champions League semi final, i'd agree but why bring Guardiola in a Mourinho specific discussion when Guardiola wasn't mentioned?
Barca fan joining a United forum to go around telling people to not have random digs at City manager. What next

Adebesi

I dont think this has been posted elsewhere, apologies if it has. I almost created a new thread for this as I think its very interesting but it does fit quite neatly in here - or, what I think the most interesting point in it does anyway.

The Chelsea fan on there breaks Mourinho's career down into two phases much like a lot of us have done, pre and post Madrid, but its interesting getting his perspective on it given Chelsea saw the best of him in England. Since Madrid he has been pretty miserable as we have all seen but also his whole approach to the game, and to risk, has arguably changed as well. Interesting this is linked back to the issue of wanting to create a dynasty (both here and at Chelsea) and how that might be altering his approach to the media. The more important issue is whether it is affecting his management of his own squad.

I dont think there's any reason to think he cant find a hybrid between his young and older selves: someone with his youthful conviction that he was right, blended with his more recently acquired... maturity? Is that the right word? Is Mourinho mature? Is there actually anything better about the version we see now than the old Mourinho? OK Ill try again: I think Mourinho can rediscover his former touch as a manager, his conviction and his swagger, but updating it to account for football's more recent evolution, and also toning himself down a bit.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Considering the quality of our team, there's not plenty to be happy about. Mou has a big challenge ahead which may be even bigger than the one he had with Chelsea last season (ie an ageing side, complacent players etc) and he knows that if he mess this up, then his career at top level is gone.

Martial_Law

Cos he keeps getting a glimpse of Rooneys fat scouse arse in the changing room and that image can be nothing but detrimental to the mind.

Borden

I don't know, but I don't like it. Pre-Madrid Mourinho could be a bit of a prick at times, but at least you couldn't deny his charm and charisma. This Mourinho has neither. He looks like a neutered version of his younger self.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Did none of you cnuts watch this? Mourinho talking to the press while in charge of Porto. Does he look any happier in this clip than he has done in recent press interviews?
Bump. Watch the damn video!

Far too many armchairs psychologists on here and in the sporting pages of the press. He's always been a dour twat in press conferences. Apart from, maybe, when his team is on some kind of spectacular run of good form. Which sure as hell isn't the case right now. My one and only worry with him is when he starts losing his rag and ranting about refereeing conspriracy theories. The calm yet sullen version we're seeing at United is just business as usual.

CM

As soon as he got back to Chelsea the second time I noticed he had lost his joie de vivre, i think it started when he was at Madrid. It does seem to be getting worse tho, by my calculations he'll have died from grumpiness by 2021.
Here's hoping lol

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
As soon as he got back to Chelsea the second time I noticed he had lost his joie de vivre, i think it started when he was at Madrid. It does seem to be getting worse tho, by my calculations he'll have died from grumpiness by 2021.
I hope you used Essien's calculator, otherwise it's not looking good for Jose!

Someone

Something
Mourinho is extremely insecure and it makes him really depressed sometimes. I don't think he handles failure and criticism well at all which is really important for a good leader. The stark difference between him and fergie in that regard is that fergie hated losing and you could really see it on him but the next day would always be business as usual, he wouldn't allow it to get him. Even in his last year as a manger fergie looked vibrant and coping easily with the pressure of the job, i just don't get that with mourinho at all, he looks more depressed, paranoid and drained by the year.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Number of reasons..
5) Hasn't had full control of a team since Inter - this is a big one, arguably the biggest one that has wore him down. He's gone from total control at Porto, strong control at Chelsea (although this wasn't quite complete control - he must have thought it was an anomaly), total control at Inter.. to barely any control at Madrid (you can't ever get total control at a club like that) and then to another lack of full control situation at Chelsea (where incidentally, I don't think he actually wanted to be there.. it was the United job he really wanted). It must irk him that being such a proven manager when he is given full control, that at this stage of his career he still has to fight to be given full control.
Just to clarify that in no way he had total control at Porto, who's president was and is Pinto da Costa. And he was almost a starting manager then. What he had was a very competent sporting direction and club management then, who had his back and allowed no Casillas type of thing (like when it happened with Baia).

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The simplest answer is that he is probably hardwired that way. When he is winning and everything is going great, depressive tendencies are kept under wraps. When things are not going well or he is worried they will not go well, people like him have a hard time taking it in stride.

As with all personality disorders, the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder occur repetitively and to a significant degree. While many people exhibit some or all of these symptoms at various moments in time, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they have narcissistic personality disorder. With narcissism, the symptoms don’t just appear once in a while – they are a consistent part of their makeup. They always impact their relationships. When these symptoms are present consistently, a diagnosis can be made by a qualified professional. Keep in mind, though, that narcissisms very rarely seek treatment so many are never officially diagnosed.

• Exaggerated sense regarding their accomplishments and talents
  • Unreasonable expectations of favoritism
  • Striving for constant admiration and attention
  • Obsessive self-involvement
  • Inability to feel empathy; lack of a sincere interest in others
  • Use of others to get what they want in life
  • Belittlement of others to boost their fragile self-esteem
  • Slightest criticism is met with rage and/or shame
  • Inability to maintain healthy relationships
  • Fantasies revolving around personal success and attractiveness
Problems Often Associated with Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Ironically, most narcissists are not really bothered by their symptoms. They have an amazing ability to rationalize their problems or blame them on someone or something else – they very rarely take any personal responsibility for their problems. However, their personality disorder often does create significant problems in their life. These may include:
  • Alcohol or drug abuse
  • Frequent relationship conflicts with significant others, friends, family members, coworkers, and employees or employers
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Suicidal tendencies
  • Co-occurring mental disorders

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Just to clarify that in no way he had total control at Porto, who's president was and is Pinto da Costa. And he was almost a starting manager then. What he had was a very competent sporting direction and club management then, who had his back and allowed no Casillas type of thing (like when it happened with Baia).
Relatively for a football manager, total control. He had a brilliant relationship with Costa who allowed Mourinho to revamp side as he wanted and ensure all the youth teams/reserve teams sang of the same hymn sheet. Mourinho was given the chance to create a blueprint for Porto. Both have utmost respect for each other.

::sonny::

I don't just mean last night I mean in every pre and post match interview / press conference he's had since he arrived at United - he looks thoroughly depressed. I can't remember the last time I saw him smile. Is managing United really that bad? He should be happy! Can someone really motivate players like that? What happened to the mischievous / glint in the eye Jose of old?
He is changed, he is a different person now

Long Ball

Don't underestimate the influence of his father.

Tiger woods wasn't the same golfer judging by majors won after his father earl passed away. Then all the "transgressions" stuff started

But then again, everyone is just reading too much into it

snk123

Another press conference - same miserable Jose. Cheer up Mourinho!

SirAF

Ageist
The simplest answer is that he is probably hardwired that way. When he is winning and everything is going great, depressive tendencies are kept under wraps. When things are not going well or he is worried they will not go well, people like him have a hard time taking it in stride.
:rolleyes:

Adebesi

Bump. Watch the damn video!

Far too many armchairs psychologists on here and in the sporting pages of the press. He's always been a dour twat in press conferences. Apart from, maybe, when his team is on some kind of spectacular run of good form. Which sure as hell isn't the case right now. My one and only worry with him is when he starts losing his rag and ranting about refereeing conspriracy theories. The calm yet sullen version we're seeing at United is just business as usual.
I watched it. And yes, he looked like a right moody bastard in it.

But seriously, you see a difference between what he was like when he was at Chelsea in his first stint and now, right? I mean, it is probably easy to exaggerate the difference - maybe he has changed no more over the last 12 years than either of us have, and in all our cases it comes down to nothing more sinister than aging. But he definitely seems to have changed to me. Maybe its a case of him always having a moody git in him, but he gets more outings these days. And he always had that mischievous sense of humour within him as well, but it gets less airtime these days.

I hope it isnt age though cause Id like to see more of that latter side of him while he's our manager. Maybe when things are going better, we are regularly winning games, maybe we've secured a trophy or two and he doesnt feel under so much personal pressure, maybe itll all come out again. Maybe the size of the task at hand is a bit of a mood killer.

Again, notwithstanding the fact he was always capable of being a moody git, even when he was winning things. But who knows what was going on in that video, maybe he was pissed off about something specifically, something not related to when he last won a trophy. You'd really need to go through a lot more press conferences from that era to draw any larger conclusions.