Why is our fanbase so toxic towards its players?

Skills

Snitch
It's a bit too easy to blame Mourinho for this but I think this toxicity goes back a lot further than Mourinho.

I would say it has existed since Moyes' days. The likes of Rio, Evra and co were getting abused back then for being cnuts and not letting Moyes do his job (or something along those lines). Club legends who had been here for 10+ years.

Anyone think this statement by Fergie has resulted in a lot of poison being directed towards the players :

The whole stand by your manager thing, I think some people literally took to their hearts. It has meant the anger, frustration and pure poison that builds up due to poor results then gets pointed mostly at the players. Either way, it's a pretty sad state of affairs and the club is not a great place to be if you're a player.

El Zoido

We’re crap and fans need to vent. What do you expect? Happy cheering, singing and dancing every time Young and Lingard have another stinker for the 10th game in a row? I’m not saying get personal, but it’s frustrating as a fan. You pay your money to watch multi-millionaire footballers prance around with minimal effort. You work your arse off at your job five days a week to watch these guys turn in a pub performance at the weekend so yeh they’re gonna get some criticism for it.

Reddy Rederson

the term "deadwood" Ive always found to be offensive. Players that had given us their best years, their best efforts, and when time caught up to them, they are called "deadwood".

On the other hand, lingard has made his own bed. Play like shit but act like you are ronaldo is never going to go down well. Then theres the fact that people want to vent, blow off steam. Better its written down in some forum than actually spewed into the world.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Funny fans call these young players/generation as spoiled entitled bunch when there is no better example of spoiled brats than the fans. They can abuse any player they want to and for any social media message but somehow players shouldn't respond just because they are players. Doesn't matter they are humans too, since they are players they should just take the abuse and move on.

Enigma_87

You know who
the term "deadwood" Ive always found to be offensive. Players that had given us their best years, their best efforts, and when time caught up to them, they are called "deadwood".
Who do you imply? If it is Young and Jones, they were probably what you call deadwood in their best years but we had to play them as we didn't have other option.

Otherwise it's nothing new really. People were slating O'Shea and Fletcher long before Jlingz.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Because most of the fans on here have no connection to the club past United being the best.

As such if we don’t have “the best” then they are shit and called tossers.

Those that feel United is more intrinsically linked with them will be more supportive.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Spoilt by the most incredible, iconic players spanning over three decades, who have been replaced by a bunch of overrated flops who aren’t giving 100% consistently on the field but fancy themselves as just as bigger celebrity hot-shots off the field?

Skills

Snitch
Seems a pretty toxic thread.
Why's it toxic? The point I was trying to make with that thread was in an era of football where a single player costs close to a £100m (and fans are clamouring for this signing), you can't run with a manager above all strategy.

It's why other clubs don't give any/every manager free reign over transfers.

Decomposing In Paris

Well most of this forum supported Man City for a couple of months there, and I've never met anyone supporting City who wasn't a knob.

passing-wind

Because many of this current squad are absolutely rubbish. Genuinely rubbish professionals who have stolen a living here considering the scale of our club we should have a much better standard of players. Our core fan base is a good bunch the away support is always strong (obviously considering the size of the club) but the regular attendee's at Old Trafford are very loyal even throughout the Moyes and Mourinho tenure.

A bad fan base is Madrid, world class players and one of the best players of this generation at their disposal and irrespective of winning three consecutive champions leagues and great domestic campaigns they still jeer and boo their own players.

Fooza

Firstly let me put this out there, we don't really know what goes on behind the scenes, all we see is the outside.

And for me the outside simply stinks with these current flock of players. The most puzzling thing was, why were our players so unfit? They were talented professionals who are playing for one of the biggest teams in the world.

Attitude, Money, Social Media importance, Contract situations, Fitness, Being used, Hearts not in it, Celebrity status etc etc

We have a lot of players who are guilty for the above. Toxic players will get toxic reactions from a fan base.

Reactions: Ødegaard

SiRed

Because we care for our club, and a lot of the evidence on social media etc point towards the players not caring.
Always the same excuses

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’ve always thought it was a weird contrast. The fans who sit on their arse and abuse the players on social media do so without putting a penny into the club. But the season ticket holders who pay their wages will applaud them every week no matter what.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Because we're used to seeing better and more talented players actually giving a shit and win trophies instead of the current batch of babies who toss their toys out of the pram at the first chance they get.

People criticise Beckham for his off the pitch branding activities, but his effort and performance on the pitch was always there, unlike some players we have in the team right now.

Skills

Snitch
Firstly let me put this out there, we don't really know what goes on behind the scenes, all we see is the outside.

And for me the outside simply stinks with these current flock of players. The most puzzling thing was, why were our players so unfit? They were talented professionals who are playing for one of the biggest teams in the world.

Attitude, Money, Social Media importance, Contract situations, Fitness, Being used, Hearts not in it, Celebrity status etc etc

We have a lot of players who are guilty for the above. Toxic players will get toxic reactions from a fan base.
Was Darron Gibson a toxic player when he got hounded off social media?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Spoilt by the most incredible, iconic players spanning over three decades, who have been replaced by a bunch of overrated flops who aren’t giving 100% consistently on the field but fancy themselves as just as bigger celebrity hot-shots off the field?
Don't you know, It's all the lazy foreigner's fault. We just need to run around more.
Get fecked local lads brigade

Last edited:

Fooza

Because most of the fans on here have no connection to the club past United being the best.

As such if we don’t have “the best” then they are shit and called tossers.

Those that feel United is more intrinsically linked with them will be more supportive.
The squads after Fergie I felt some connection and was more supportive even if they were not 'the best' or successful. This past season I've felt zero and by the end it's grown to hate. I really dislike how fans are pressured to believe in a sense of 'delusion' rather than just saying it straight...

These players are just not united.

Was Darron Gibson a toxic player when he got hounded off social media?
My post isn't directed to one off players in the past...

The fletchers, the o'sheas may have had abuse by fans. Was is justifiable? Not for me as they were still players that played their hearts out for the badge.

I'm talking about a period where most of our players are just not showing it all for the badge and don't really care. You're misconstruing what I mean by a toxic player. Gibson for me wasn't. Someone like Sanchez is and I could name a lot more in this current team.

Reactions: Gandalf Greyhame

Shark

@NotShark
I’ve always thought it was a weird contrast. The fans who sit on their arse and abuse the players on social media do so without putting a penny into the club. But the season ticket holders who pay their wages will applaud them every week no matter what.
Why should fans of Manchester United applaud mediocrity no matter what? Especially players like Sanchez, makes absolutely zero sense. Wouldn’t it be in paying fans best interest to applaud a team that’s not taking the piss.

Bobski

I don't think this is an exclusively Utd thing. We live in the instant gratification age and social media loves the angry reaction, condemnation and blame culture. Add the absurd wages further weakening connections between fans and players and it is going to happen.

RedorDead21

Desperate to be back to where we were and blaming them for everything wrong at the club. They are 'customer facing' so get the brunt of it.

SiRed

PLEASE find me any examples on social media of our players not caring.
Oh i dont know. What would be a good example for you? Obviously there isnt one where they literally say ' i dont give a f*ck' but there becomes a point where after each and every tiresome performance they say the same old cr*p......... We must stick together, we are disappointed with the performance blah blah blah,,,,,, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT THEN.
Stop the clothing brands
Stop the flirting with Madrid
Stop trying to build a a reputation as a 'lad' outside of football

Focus 100% on improving your abilities as a professional footballer at one of the biggest clubs in the world instead of becoming complacent.
Stay a few hours late every training session until you sort your sh!t out
Show a bit of passion on the field rather than accepting mediocrity
Be big enough to know that your not good enough to represent this football club and request a transfer

Because there is a queue of players willing to do all that for this club.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

This kind of horseshit epitomises our current over-privileged fanbase. It’s all groundless crap used to deflect from the true reason why they dislike the players so intensely, and that is because they simply aren’t winning is trophies. We had some real horrible shits at our club over the years, and players who have shown genuine examples of a lack of commitment and dedication, but they’ve sorted themselves out and won us silverware so all is forgiven.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Oh i dont know. What would be a good example for you? Obviously there isnt one where they literally say ' i dont give a f*ck' but there becomes a point where after each and every tiresome performance they say the same old cr*p......... We must stick together, we are disappointed with the performance blah blah blah,,,,,, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT THEN.
Stop the clothing brands

Focus 100% on improving your abilities as a professional footballer at one of the biggest clubs in the world instead of becoming complacent.
Be big enough to know that your not good enough to represent this football club and request a transfer

:lol:

That is absolutely mental.

Sired do you like David Beckham?

Reddy Rederson

Who do you imply? If it is Young and Jones, they were probably what you call deadwood in their best years but we had to play them as we didn't have other option.

Otherwise it's nothing new really. People were slating O'Shea and Fletcher long before Jlingz.
Its a term used for anyone that is not currently cutting the mustard. Even if said player was great before. Young and Valencias current performances have rewitten history and they were never any good. Which just isnt true. Mata is part of the current deadwood. Why? Because he doesnt run very fast. Like thats all he has to his game. Carrick was getting abused something fierce a few years ago. He was deadwood in all caps. Fletcher, rooney, blah blah blah. You name the player that started to decline still wearing our shit, they got abused. And if they hung around too long, they got the deadwood label.

USREDEVIL

I don't support the toxic name calling, mocking, being aszholes to players unless it's obvious they do not care. Some people on here have to remember this is a new generation of young people, one's brought up on social media. They'd be oddballs if they were not into it. They seem to think that having a personality is unacceptable and look back with rose tinted glasses that prior generations were all business, never cared about money, and were real men. So i think it's a mix of frustration that these players collectively aren't up to united standards and the bias against the new generation of social media loving kids.

We ought to slate them for performances and work ethic, but not what they like doing on their day off, or what they wear or their hairstyle. Enough name calling and belittling.

Reactions: Ødegaard

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Stop the clothing brands

So what you’re saying is you can give no examples. Instead you cite outside interests like ‘clothing brands’ as an issue, as if you think they lock themselves in a cupboard after double training and rewatch last weeks game, self-flagellating after every mistake they notice.

Can you show me evidence they aren’t putting it in? They aren’t staying late after training? They aren’t approaching the manager with suggestions on how they can improve things? Show me where they aren’t ‘DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.’

Reddy Rederson

This kind of horseshit epitomises our current over-privileged fanbase. It’s all groundless crap used to deflect from the true reason why they dislike the players so intensely, and that is because they simply aren’t winning is trophies. We had some real horrible shits at our club over the years, and players who have shown genuine examples of a lack of commitment and dedication, but they’ve sorted themselves out and won us silverware so all is forgiven.
Thats just it though isnt it? Players get away with anything when they make the effort on the pitch. We dont have anything else to talk about in regards to lingard. Hes done nothing of worth on the pitch, and hes turned the dial his social media profile all the way to the right. You play like shit, people will call you on it. Act like you are the dogs back bits, and people will be quick as feck to call you on it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why should fans of Manchester United applaud mediocrity no matter what? Especially players like Sanchez, makes absolutely zero sense. Wouldn’t it be in paying fans best interest to applaud a team that’s not taking the piss.
I’m not saying they should, just that the contrast stood out to me.

Fooza

Where am I basing my claims on just trophies? I'm sorry but that is horseshit. I see it how it is when I think a team on a lot of money/wages playing for a team who is one of the biggest in the world didn't pull their weight over a season. And it wasn't just the odd one or two you're mentioning that we've had in the past.

What I say..
It has NOTHING to do with them not winning any trophies.
It has NOTHING to do with them coming in the position they did in the table.

It's all about their performance and attitude on pitch I base it on this year - which in my opinion is also the result on their attitude out of the pitch.

Edit: and their attitude of wanting to play for and not for a manager, which was very visible to see this year.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

On the other hand, lingard has made his own bed. Play like shit but act like you are ronaldo is never going to go down well. Then theres the fact that people want to vent, blow off steam. Better its written down in some forum than actually spewed into the world.
You are making them sound as if they lost a leg in the battlefield, fighting the enemy while being paid on minimum wage. Most of these players were already out of depth in their prime. The reality is what it is. We've got the second highest salary bill for players who are neither good nor very hardworking. In fact we are the lower part in terms of hard work. Our team is made up of players in the search of their final big pay cheque and a mix of very average players. They should thank their gods that they ended up with us. A well managed top club wouldn't have signed them in the first place and they would instead be lingering at Villa, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn, Torino or China were they belong to.

Don't feel too sad about them either. They will retire as filthy rich people from the money ordinary working people had paid to watch these rubbish 'playing football' at their beloved club. They are probably laughing themselves to the bank right now. Meanwhile they will publicly say how disappointed they are about their performances despite knowing, fully well, that they cant do better in the first place.