Why Man Utd’s Treble In 1999 Would Always Be Superior To Manchester City’s In 2023 (F365 article)

Real Name

Who cares?
People on this forum used to say "look, Arsenal / Liverpool haven't won ______ in x amount of years," as if it makes any diffference. We have been shit for a decade. People here are obsessed with history because we can't compare or compete in the present... It gets so tiring to listen to you guys say stuff like this... putting other teams achievements down just to lift us up. It's honestly pathetic and no one cares. Move on from the past already.

Since we last won the league 10 years ago, we've accumulated a total goal difference of +205. City: +585. Liverpool: +391.
For every 5 normal posts you get one of these.

RickRudesDong

Are you sure you even watched United in CL in 1999. If you did you certainly wouldnts write that.

Rollercoaster ride. :houllier:
When did we swat one of the top contenders 4-0? Don't remember that.

We scraped through against Juve and got bent over against Bayern.

City are going to stroll to the trophy. More impressive even if more boring.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
On a basic level I think there's just generally less emotional investment in City winning.

Partly because fewer people care about City as a club, partly because instead of feeling like an unlikely triumph it instead feels like the inevitable conclusion to a very well implemented plan based on significant financial cheating. Whereas when we won (whether you liked us or despised us) it actually felt against-the-odds.

It isn't just about us either. Much though I dislike Liverpool, them winning their first league win in 30 years felt way more significant and compelling a football story than any of City's title wins in recent years.

If people want to argue that this City side are better than that United side or that they've dominated their opponents more than we did, that's one thing and there's an argument to be had. But it terms of the achievement itself their treble only feels significant from the perspective of fair play within football. Beyond that it's kinda what you expected to happen, like Lance Armstrong winning another race.

RickRudesDong

United outplayed Barca and Bayern in the group stages, outplayed Juventus away in the SF, and beat Bayern in the final with Scholes and Keane not playing. I think a lot of people forget how good United were simply because Bayern played better in the final but forget we had what would today be the equivalent of £250m worth of players absent, Scholes, Keane and Henin Berg
City also steamrolled teams in their group stages. And although we beat Juve I think "outplayed" then is a little biased, no?

But we were also scraped through by a hair against Arsenal in the cup. Although to be fair, Arsenal have pretty much bottled the league against Citeh like they did against us, so that's comparable.

Appletonred

If City win the treble then it is against a backdrop of 115 charges, if they are found guilty then it is indeed a hollow achievement and punishment will follow, however,
if they are cleared then they deserve the plaudits, we simply have to wait and see before we make any comparisons to the Utd treble winning side of 1999.

AlPistacho

City also steamrolled teams in their group stages. And although we beat Juve I think "outplayed" then is a little biased, no?

But we were also scraped through by a hair against Arsenal in the cup. Although to be fair, Arsenal have pretty much bottled the league against Citeh like they did against us, so that's comparable.
Juve were recognised as the best team in the world at the time. After going 2-0 down within 13 minutes, we absolutely murdered them. Juventus had Zidane, Dechamps, Conte, Davids, Inzaghi all in their prime. It would have been the equivalent of Man City knocking out RM 8 years ago after going 2-0 down at the Bernabou in the second leg.

Siorac

Are you sure you even watched United in CL in 1999. If you did you certainly wouldnts write that.

It was a rollercoaster ride though. Is that a bad thing now? It was awesome. Being 2-0 down at Juventus after 10 minutes and being ahead on away goals thirty minutes later is better than any rollercoaster.

Eli Zee

For every 5 normal posts you get one of these.
i think the players will feel exactly the same, but as fans, feel free to bring up past glory every time another team is winning while we lose.

"You just won, but it won't be as good as when we won almost 25 years ago!!!"

who cares...we live in the present. Do you have a Time Machine?

city could win 3 more trebles and people would still say "yeah.. but we won ours first.. haha!"

Last edited:

AlPistacho

It was definitely a rollercoaster ride. That SF Vs Arsenal, the last minute goals etc but what seems to have been forgotten is the quality of our football.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
City's treble will be more impressive. They've outplayed everyone; we didn't.

Off-field issues aside, non-United fans will remember ours as a rollercoaster ride and theirs as the best PL team ever.
What utter nonsense!!

Do you even try to understand that the footballing side of City is enabled due to them circumventing and breaking FFP rules?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Off-field issues aside, non-United fans will remember ours as a rollercoaster ride and theirs as the best PL team ever.
This City team isn’t their best in my opinion. Also the United team played much better competition domestically and in Europe.

People going on about Madrid but their decline this year is clear (they could have even lost to Chelsea if Chelsea wasn’t so shite)

MoskvaRed

Comparing United’s treble with City’s potential treble is, to use a cycling analogy, like comparing Greg Lemond’s Tour wins with Lance Armstrong’s. City are “unbelievable” in that sense.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It was a rollercoaster ride which made the season so great and memorable. The team just never accepted defeat. We were a very attacking side which left us open at times.

It started as early as the early round FA Cup game against Liverpool when Owen scored in the 2nd minute or so. We then scored a late equaliser before Solskjær won it (probably the 2nd most important goal he ever scored for us).
We then went behind in the 2nd leg against Inter, went behind in both games against Juve, played a man down in the FA Cup semi against Arsenal AND Schmeichel needed to save a penalty, went behind against Spurs on the final day in the league while needing a win, then before we could even properly feel that a CL final had started, we already went behind.
I was actually shocked we weren’t behind in the FA Cup final.
That team just knew how to create chances and score goals, no matter the situation or opponent.

KeanoMagicHat

1989 I think.

Well I watched that match and United were second best for 90 min. A prime example of a smash and grab win.
The point was about English teams in Europe though, not Bayern. In 1999, it was seen as a big deal for an English team to overcome an Italian team like that away from home in a comeback.

It was definitely a rollercoaster ride. That SF Vs Arsenal, the last minute goals etc but what seems to have been forgotten is the quality of our football.
Yeah we were probably as good a side in 1999-00 overall, if not better. But we had to pull out of the FA Cup for the Club World Cup thing/favour to try to get England the World Cup. And then just one bad game in the CL against Real Madrid in Old Trafford and that was that.

RomfordRed75

Apart from Citys blatant cheating, Uniteds will be better because:

1. Beckham, Butt, Scholes, Giggs and the Nevilles. Pretty much half of the first team were academy products.
2. Beating a great Arsenal side (who had come off a double the year before) to the title and in an FA Cup semi final. No teams going up against City come close to that side.
3. Far harder run (and far better teams) in Europe at that time Barca, Inter, Juve and Bayern twice. Most of those sides would beat 95% of this seasons CL teams.
4. The 99 side actually won the treble....City haven't actually won 3 trophies yet (or even 2).

giggs-beckham

Clueless
United in 99 were way more entertaining than City. City are very mechanical. United were flawed, eg would often go down etc, but had the best free flowing style I’ve seen. The link up between Yorke and Cole was amazing, one twos inside the oppositions box etc.
What I wanted to say also. Our one touch football peaked in that season, breathtaking at times. City, not so much

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Good article although digs at Celtic, PSV and Ajax trebles isnt needed.
Wrongly so, because back then there were no farmer leagues.
Given that Bosman Law wasn't a thing yet, so it was uncommon for talented players to play abroad strengthening foreign clubs, while weakening their home league.

sparx99

1989 I think.

Well I watched that match and United were second best for 90 min. A prime example of a smash and grab win.
Utd were second best but we also had our two first choice centre midfielders missing.

It wasn’t nearly as one-sided as often gets reported now though. The early goal allowed Bayern to be confident and they got chances through Utd chasing an equaliser as much as anything. We had chances before the two corner kicks.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Given that Bosman Law wasn't a thing yet, so it was uncommon for talented players to play abroad strengthening foreign clubs, while weakening their home league.
There were plenty of farmer league teams in the EC, it was much easier to win but was far harder to get in to, today it's the opposite

In 1968 to get to the final United played Hibernians of Malta, Sarajevo, Górnik Zabrze and Real Madrid, in 1978, Liverpool played 1st round Bye, Dynamo Dresden, Benfica and Borussia Mönchengladbach

theralyst

This is embarrassing. If they win the trebel all ifs and buts is a treble.

Saying it's hollow, cheating etc would mean nothing coming from United fans
Why is it embarassing to say it's hollow if they have allegedly (most likely) cheated their way to a treble? Why would that mean nothing coming from a United fan? Since when have we had 115 charges levied against us?

Sure the way they will win the treble is impressive in a pure domination sense, but they cheated to get there so feck 'em. There's no romaticism about their treble, it was always just a case of when not if they would get it.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
There were plenty of farmer league teams in the EC, it was much easier to win but was far harder to get in to, today it's the opposite

In 1968 to get to the final United played Hibernians of Malta, Sarajevo, Górnik Zabrze and Real Madrid, in 1978, Liverpool played 1st round Bye, Dynamo Dresden, Benfica and Borussia Mönchengladbach
Football has changed, the concept of top leagues is modern, due to the massive money put into Football.

You can't look at names cause 70s football was pretty much different than modern football, and there were not 6-8 teams concentrating best talent in the world while letting scraps for the rest like it happens now.

Guardiola wouldn't be able to print his football brand with only 3 foreigners allowed per team.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Football has changed, the concept of top leagues is modern, due to the massive money put into Football.

You can't look at names cause 70s football was pretty much different than modern football, and there were not 6-8 teams concentrating best talent in the world while letting scraps for the rest like it happens now.

Guardiola wouldn't be able to print his football brand with only 3 foreigners allowed per team.
Of course it's changed, but I was referring to the point saying there were no farmers leagues back then, there were

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why is it embarassing to say it's hollow if they have allegedly (most likely) cheated their way to a treble? Why would that mean nothing coming from a United fan? Since when have we had 115 charges levied against us?

Sure the way they will win the treble is impressive in a pure domination sense, but they cheated to get there so feck 'em. There's no romaticism about their treble, it was always just a case of when not if they would get it.
Because we're in bad position anything else is sour grapes.

The best way is to knuckle down and win it back

I've been laughing at RAWK for years for their "yeah they're so boring to watch" or "they're just buying everyone cliche". And i enjoy their reveling.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Why is there a need to compare anyway?

Different eras, different opponents, different many more other factors. It’s like comparing Puskas with Ronaldo, and Maradona with Messi. Compare Messi with Ronaldo, that’s fine (and interesting enough).

Real Name

Yes, calling all leagues except EPL farmer leagues, especially ones from the past is so wrong.

What about games prior to the final?

I meant the CL but yes, FA cup was a rolloercoaster and that's what made the whole thing so special.

Real Name

i think the players will feel exactly the same, but as fans, feel free to bring up past glory every time another team is winning while we lose.

"You just won, but it won't be as good as when we won almost 25 years ago!!!"

who cares...we live in the present. Do you have a Time Machine?

city could win 3 more trebles and people would still say "yeah.. but we won ours first.. haha!"
So you should remember the past only when you're winning and other team is losing?

I bet you're great at parties.

Real Name

Sure. Helps abit. But i dont think fans care too much about other clubs achievement other than theirs

Do you remember 9 treble winners? When? Who? What? How? At most it's oh it's them
That doesn't change the fact City is facing 115 charges.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So you should remember the past only when you're winning and other team is losing?

I bet you're great at parties.
15 years ago today we won sounds shit when the other team are winning it today.

Been there in 1999, dont give a feck when the Scousers yell but we won it 5 times or waving 19 on our face. I laughed in amusement seeing how they try to belittle our treble calling We're lucky, brown fergie envelope, etc.

Because.. we actually won the bloody thing

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That doesn't change the fact City is facing 115 charges.
They tamper with their financial and sponsor yes. But they still play better football than us.

Even then we're hardly 2nd behind them. It'll be Liverpool with 3 title. I dont know which is worse. City got docked and the title given to the scouse? Buy i think we got 2 for Mou and ole 2nd.

Still...

Real Name

They tamper with their financial and sponsor yes. But they still play better football than us.

Even then we're hardly 2nd behind them. It'll be Liverpool with 3 title. I dont know which is worse. City got docked and the title given to the scouse? Buy i think we got 2 for Mou and ole 2nd.

Still...
Nobody denies they play better football. Nor that they cheated and if they havent they wouldnt have been able to afford all the players they have.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
There's a strange trend developing online where people seem to think the late 90s was like the medieval times.

Real Name

15 years ago today we won sounds shit when the other team are winning it today.

Been there in 1999, dont give a feck when the Scousers yell but we won it 5 times or waving 19 on our face. I laughed in amusement seeing how they try to belittle our treble calling We're lucky, brown fergie envelope, etc.

Because.. we actually won the bloody thing
So we shouldnt ever remember and create threads about past glories just cause we havent won it in a while?
I simply dont get this logic. We should all feel sorry for ourselves and repeat every day how shit we are and how great Cityis.

Real Name

I'm not sure, did you call City best PL team ever already. I didnt see that in 5 of your posts.
Do you think they're the best PL team ever?