why not swap Martial for a familiar face? (Ronaldo)

Born2Lose

Unfortunately I suspect the hierarchy at Juventus don't make their footballing decisions based on Nike's advertising or the stats in computer games.

DoomSlayer

No, it's a bad idea. We need to use both Cavani and Martial this season, whilst focusing on finding that top number 9 for the next summer. Sancho, a CM that can play in a 2 and Varane would be a great summer, in the current financial situation because of the pandemic.

dinostar77

On a similar note, here's an article from a real madrid fan channel suggesting that they could give us Varane and get Greenwood or Wan Bissaka in exchange

https://therealchamps.com/2021/07/08/real-madrid-3-player-swap-manchester-united-varane/amp/3/
Read that. Not sure how much football the writer of that article has seen wan bissaka play. His attcking play is an area that needs development and as for playing in midfield as a right sided midfielder, ive never seen him deployed there while at Utd.

As for Greenwood, not a chance in hell. Pogba? Fill your boots.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why is Ronaldo returning still being considered? He's 36, doesn't need to return to a league where he would have to contribute here and there and be brutalized by thuggish defenders. He's near the end of his career and needs a slower league where he would bang in a couple of goals before jetting off to the US to live out his fantasy celebrity dream.
As opposed to those charming sweet gentlemen in Italian teams?

Read that. Not sure how much football the writer of that article has seen wan bissaka play. His attcking play is an area that needs development and as for playing in midfield as a right sided midfielder, ive never seen him deployed there while at Utd.

As for Greenwood, not a chance in hell. Pogba? Fill your boots.
I posted that article sort of as a wind up, cos the author comes across like he has looked up 'good young manchester united players' on football manager and considered his research done. Imagine buying wan bissaka to use him in midfield! Imagine thinking there's a chance in hell we'd let greenwood go for less than a world record bid! It's an example of how fans can see the possibility of swap deals which is absolutely implausible to anyone with more detailed knowledge of things.

But back to the thread, swap deals are pretty much never satisfying or plausible - we are hoping that we can swap an out of form player who most of the forum isn't fussed about keeping for Juventus's top scorer over the last 3 seasons. On a footballing level and on a marketing level, Juve would be mad to take that deal. And also I think that bringing in Ronaldo now would destabilise our squad and our summer at a point when it genuinely seems like we are developing a long term transfer strategy.

Luke1995

I feel like if the club was looking at the possibility of signing Ronaldo, they wouldn't have offered Cavani a new deal. So this is highly unlikely to happen.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Ronaldo would be great here if, and that's a big if, he accepts being a Zlatan/Cavani type figure that doesn't play every game all the time. Unleash him of the left every now and then and that's a title winning player.

just a thought I’ve had. We all know Martial is inconsistent, there’s no knowing which version of himself shows up in a season yet immensely talented and valuable.

...with there being reports/rumours that Martial would be open to joining a new club - which I’m fairly certain United would not mind doing as long as they have the adequate cover (the only thing stopping them from doing so imho) - what’s stopping both United & Juventus from swapping the 2 players?

Martial would go to a top club in a new country to rejuvenate his career. Ronaldo would come back to OT with a final kick at the can to win major trophies/accolades. Juventus get financial relief not to mention 10 years younger. United get arguably the worlds best striker who’s nearing the end of his playing career to help propel them to their final evolution as a core/team AKA to put it all together and start winning competitions.

is there any reason, from the players to the clubs, that you can think of why this wouldn’t work? Seems like it would be a rare win-win scenario all around.
We’re building a team that isn’t, or shouldn’t, be reliant on one player. Why ruin that by signing Ronaldo who at his current age does score a lot but contributes little else to the overall match and would need to become the focus of all our play to get the best out of him?

I’d much rather: our goals be spread out amongst Cavani, Rashford, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba etc

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Maybe it's just me but I'd hate to have Ronaldo back now. He had his prime years in Madrid and is on ridiculous wages. Plus he's not that good anymore.
He'd still be top scorer in the Premier League. I'd easily take Ronaldo for a season or two. At some point you have to just let go of reason and live with football romance you know. Ronaldo coming home is the dream of dreams.

dinostar77

This thread is obviously entirely speculative as there have been no reports of any substance linking ronaldo to Utd. Only thing i have seen is reports of Ronaldo extending his contract at Juventus while taking a paycut.

choccy77

Ronaldo position wise, wouldn't fit into the team at present.

But of course would be great to see him in a United shirt again, but many reasons why it won't happen.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
just a thought I’ve had. We all know Martial is inconsistent, there’s no knowing which version of himself shows up in a season yet immensely talented and valuable.

...with there being reports/rumours that Martial would beJe open to joining a new club - which I’m fairly certain United would not mind doing as long as they have the adequate cover (the only thing stopping them from doing so imho) - what’s stopping both United & Juventus from swapping the 2 players?

Martial would go to a top club in a new country to rejuvenate his career. Ronaldo would come back to OT with a final kick at the can to win major trophies/accolades. Juventus get financial relief not to mention 10 years younger. United get arguably the worlds best striker who’s nearing the end of his playing career to help propel them to their final evolution as a core/team AKA to put it all together and start winning competitions.

is there any reason, from the players to the clubs, that you can think of why this wouldn’t work? Seems like it would be a rare win-win scenario all around.
The fact it's unlikely Juventus would see Martial as worth such an exchange.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
But of course would be great to see him in a United shirt again, but many reasons why it won't happen.
It really shouldn’t happen. We should be looking forward not backward. Great, great player. Arguably the greatest, but I’d hate to see him milking us for money and showing us a shadow of his old self. He’d be a big disappointment for most people.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Ronaldo would be great here if, and that's a big if, he accepts being a Zlatan/Cavani type figure that doesn't play every game all the time. Unleash him of the left every now and then and that's a title winning player.
You do know he is 44 though Utd. people?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
You want a familiar face that suits the squad better? swap Martial for Carrick or Scholes

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’d take him back as a rotational player on a vastly reduced and reasonable salary, under the condition he was coming as something of a mentor and rotational contributor to a club that he should love. He’s obviously score a ton of clutch goals.

But given that he’ll want an exorbitant salary, want to be top dog, have the team built around him and cater to him, have a prima Donna attitude, and cost an absolutely fortune in wages and destroy our wage structure. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. This is Manchester United not MLS.