Why Pep's Barcelona and Zidane's Real aren't comparable

cyberman

No you missed his (and my) point: Real were regularly on the losing side against Barcelona.

Going back to 2013 season (including La Liga and Copa Del Ray)

Barcelona wins in El Classico: 9
Draws: 4
Real Madrid wins in El Classico: 4

That's an abysmal record for a team that you say would defeat prime tiki taka, when they couldn't do it against a worse version of tiki taka
Yeah but Barca wins big games away in the league and loses easier games away in Europe. That was happening even during the Pep days so pointing at league games is irrelevent. Pep is exactly the same way now. Controlling of games domestically yet shitting themselves in 23 gal thrillers v Monaco and Spurs.
In a league i dont think Madrid would finish higher than PSG, Bayern or Juve. Put them in a two legged tie in CL that brought the best out of Ronaldo etc and I back Real.
Madrid are obsessed with CL success for a reason, the whole club revolves around it.
Madrid have a great away record in Europe, this side has learned to keep Messi quiet in games to the point he rarely scores against Madrid anymore. Ronaldo went on a Classico riot.
If that Barca side had their customary shocker away from home then they would not get aesy with it at home. Madrid would be too direct and effective.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yeah but Barca wins big games away in the league and loses easier games away in Europe. That was happening even during the Pep days so pointing at league games is irrelevent. Pep is exactly the same way now. Controlling of games domestically yet shitting themselves in 23 gal thrillers v Monaco and Spurs.
In a league i dont think Madrid would finish higher than PSG, Bayern or Juve. Put them in a two legged tie in CL that brought the best out of Ronaldo etc and I back Real.
Madrid are obsessed with CL success for a reason, the whole club revolves around it.
Madrid have a great away record in Europe, this side has learned to keep Messi quiet in games to the point he rarely scores against Madrid anymore. Ronaldo went on a Classico riot.
If that Barca side had their customary shocker away from home then they would not get aesy with it at home. Madrid would be too direct and effective.
The topic of the thread is comparing Pep's Barcelona vs Zidane's Madrid, with no caveat as to competition.

And yeah with that record my money would be on Barcelona in a CL knockout tie against Madrid, given the evidence of the El Classico records... I don't think the CL anthem would infuse an extra level into Madrid or make Barcelona shit the bed.

It's really easy to say "oh Real only focused on the CL". I'm going to use this excuse in the SAF thread as to why he didn't win more CLs.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
No you missed his (and my) point: Real were regularly on the losing side against Barcelona.

Going back to 2013 season (including La Liga and Copa Del Ray)

Barcelona wins in El Classico: 9
Draws: 4
Real Madrid wins in El Classico: 4

That's an abysmal record for a team that you say would defeat prime tiki taka, when they couldn't do it against a worse version of tiki taka
Zidane's Madrid won 3, drew 2 and lost 2 so they have a positive record in El Clasicos actually.

Not sure what the point is though to make that head to head comparison, especially when Madrid finished a ridiculous amount of those games with only 10 men.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah, I was under the impression that Real has won more Clasicos than lost with Zidane. Also, he did have a better record in La Liga once he took over for Benitez than Barcelona, but the gap was already too big to overcompensate. People can choose to dismiss that, but it's an important factor to take into consideration, along the fact that he did win it the next season. Zidane should be criticized for the third season in La Liga, but they still won the CL for a 3rd straight time so it can't be that big of a criticism either. It's just weird to have to compare, they're both excellent coach but I think what Zidane achieved is more impressive, especially considering the Real Madrid team wasn't as good as that Barcelona one Pep was managing.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Oh come on! Real Madrid used to sit back in fear of Barcelona just like the rest of us; they looked like they were going to crap their pants. We know you're Ronaldo's biggest fanboy but let's be honest here: Pep's Barca would wipe the floor with Zidane's Madrid. And I say that as a neutral because I can't stand Barca or Real Madrid.
Football is won by who scored the most goals, not by who makes the other team 'sit back in fear'. Chelsea in 2012 and Inter in 2010 were surely happy about that. I simply believe there is skill in regularly winning games without outplaying the opposition.

I haven't argued about who would win head to head, Barca definitely had a better squad and would outplay Madrid more often than not. I'm just saying that Zidane's Madrid were a lot stronger mentally and that they were both more successful and more entertaining than Pep's Barca.

adexkola

Supports
Zidane's Madrid won 3, drew 2 and lost 2 so they have a positive record in El Clasicos actually.

Not sure what the point is though to make that head to head comparison, especially when Madrid finished a ridiculous amount of those games with only 10 men.
Don't know where you are pulling your numbers from. Let's focus on Zidane's first tenure there. Obviously the 4-0 loss happened under Benitez.

April 2016 - Win 2-1

Dec 2016 - Draw 1-1
April 2017 - Loss 2-3

Dec 2017 - Loss 0-3
May 2018 - Draw 2-2

1W, 2D, 2L

I'm not going to bother looking at Pep's record in comparison.

Regarding the bolded, good excuse to add to "they only focused on the CL". Plus since Zidane had title winning form in his first season, he technically won the league, because nothing would have changed if he was managing from the beginning.

Good stuff.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Don't know where you are pulling your numbers from. Let's focus on Zidane's first tenure there. Obviously the 4-0 loss happened under Benitez.

April 2016 - Win 2-1

Dec 2016 - Draw 1-1
April 2017 - Loss 2-3

Dec 2017 - Loss 0-3
May 2018 - Draw 2-2

1W, 2D, 2L

I'm not going to bother looking at Pep's record in comparison.

Good stuff.
:confused:

Zidane won 3 games, drew 2 and lost 2. That's his record vs Barca during his first tenure.

Regarding the bolded, good excuse to add to "they only focused on the CL". Plus since Zidane had title winning form in his first season, he technically won the league, because nothing would have changed if he was managing from the beginning.
Who argued he technically won the league?? Don't think anyone did that.

I just pointed out he actually won more points than Barca during his first half season which I think is relevant information rather than portray it like he won the league once out of three attempts which is an unfair way to look at it.

cyberman

The topic of the thread is comparing Pep's Barcelona vs Zidane's Madrid, with no caveat as to competition.

And yeah with that record my money would be on Barcelona in a CL knockout tie against Madrid, given the evidence of the El Classico records... I don't think the CL anthem would infuse an extra level into Madrid or make Barcelona shit the bed.

It's really easy to say "oh Real only focused on the CL". I'm going to use this excuse in the SAF thread as to why he didn't win more CLs.
But they did. Ronaldo famously conditioned hinself to peak during the latter stages of the season.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Another thing that is always worth mentioning is that Zizou left Madrid with a his 3rd consecutive CL (though didn't do well in his last league campaign), while Pep left Barca on a pretty bad note, losing both the CL and league (to Mou, no less!).

mshnsh

The 2 clubs also reflect how their star players played.

Guardiola's barcelona played the game with flair, technique and was consistently brilliant from game 1 to game 50 of the season. They dominated and outplayed any team and scored beautiful team goals. This is also reflected in messi's play.

Zidane's madrid side were usually poor until Feb to march, their play was hardly inspiring but in the late stages of the season their determination (and a degree of luck) got them over the line even when they were completely outplayed. This was also reflected in Cristiano's play during those seasons.

For me, Guardiola's Barcelona is easily the best team i have watched.

Blood Mage

Going through all the games of Pep's Barca and Zidane's Madrid, the most iconic one, an immortal game, is the 5-0 clasico. Different planet.
VAR would have disallowed both of Villa's goals and possibly Jeffren's as well but a dominant, spectacular performance regardless. Xavi and Iniesta were ridiculous, the two best midfielders ever and Barca had them both playing at the same time while at their peaks, the jammy cnuts.

mshnsh

VAR would have disallowed both of Villa's goals and possibly Jeffren's as well but a dominant, spectacular performance regardless. Xavi and Iniesta were ridiculous, the two best midfielders ever and Barca had them both playing at the same time while at their peaks, the jammy cnuts.
How so? Villa was was not offside for any of them.

In addition to xavi and iniesta, Messi was outstanding as well even without getting on the score sheet.

Reactions: berbatrick

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Barcelona were the better side, as (I think) should be evident to anyone who watched both teams regularly. We can break down all the reasons why that is the case but ultimately it just is. In much the same way you can tell when one light is brighter than another; you know because you see it.

Though I will admit that this thread at least makes sense, unlike the one comparing Barcelona to the current Liverpool side.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
The fact that Ramos in particular shits the bed every time he has to play against Messi is evidence of a weakness in Real Madrid.

That only further proves that Pep's Barcelona would be the favourite against Zidane's Madrid in a knockout game.

matbezlima

Pep's Barcelona poor luck away was weird sometimes. For example, in the away games against Lyon in 2009 and Stuttgart in 2010, Barcelona played badly and also were going through many players, such as Xavi, having brief slumps. Barcelona always had slumps in February. In other cases, though, Barcelona was truly great and were actually really unlucky. Watch the full matches of Barcelona against Arsenal at the Emirates in 2010 and 2011. Barcelona was truly brilliant, but they got complacent towards the end of the matches and allowed Arsenal's comebacks when they should have sealed both ties already.

matbezlima

True, and for me the 2009 iteration was the best. The Henry - Eto'o - Messi front three had a freedom and directness that Pedro - Villa - Messi did not have, i guess Pep had not quite coached out all the individualism at that point and they were better for it imo.

The competition also dropped off, the team we fielded against them in 2011 was nowhere near what we put out in 2009.
The 2010/2011 team had significantly more fluid passing and possession without it becoming sterile, like what would happen sometimes in the 2011/2012 season. Tactically they were superior too. I also yet to see a performance as technically impeccable and of such alien technical level as the 5-0.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1228011/2...re-state-of-the-art-and-then-they-got-better/

"Due to Pep Guardiola’s reign stretching from 2008 to 2012, there’s an argument that his Barcelona was the best side of the 2000s and the best of the 2010s, courtesy of European Cup victories in 2009 and 2011.

What shouldn’t be up for question, though, was which of those teams was better.

Guardiola’s 2009 side were clearly wonderful, helping to revolutionise the game and repopularise possession play at a time when football had become very defensive. And it’s entirely possible to argue that its individuals were better than those in 2011 — Samuel Eto’o and Thierry Henry could be preferred over Pedro and David Villa, while many would insist Yaya Toure was better than Sergio Busquets.

But collectively, the 2011 side was far superior.

By now, Leo Messi’s role as a false nine wasn’t a mere alternative but Guardiola’s default style. His understanding with Pedro and Villa was magnificent. [...]"

matbezlima

Football is won by who scored the most goals, not by who makes the other team 'sit back in fear'. Chelsea in 2012 and Inter in 2010 were surely happy about that. I simply believe there is skill in regularly winning games without outplaying the opposition.

I haven't argued about who would win head to head, Barca definitely had a better squad and would outplay Madrid more often than not. I'm just saying that Zidane's Madrid were a lot stronger mentally and that they were both more successful and more entertaining than Pep's Barca.
Chelsea 2012 was just lucky as hell, both against Barcelona and Bayern that year. And the only thing that Zidane's Real has over that Barcelona is mentality. Barcelona were so used to easily destroying adversaries that they could be really shaken, nervous and lost in the few times that this was not the case.

Last edited:

matbezlima

Yeah, I was under the impression that Real has won more Clasicos than lost with Zidane. Also, he did have a better record in La Liga once he took over for Benitez than Barcelona, but the gap was already too big to overcompensate. People can choose to dismiss that, but it's an important factor to take into consideration, along the fact that he did win it the next season. Zidane should be criticized for the third season in La Liga, but they still won the CL for a 3rd straight time so it can't be that big of a criticism either. It's just weird to have to compare, they're both excellent coach but I think what Zidane achieved is more impressive, especially considering the Real Madrid team wasn't as good as that Barcelona one Pep was managing.
Zidane's big merit was man management. Tactically, he did nothing special and Real's football was never that great, unlike Pep's Barcelona. People forget that Barcelona before Guardiola assumed was in serious crisis and Xavi and Iniesta were nowhere near as unanimous as now. Guardiola was bold in trusting them and getting rid of Ronaldinho and Deco, while making Messi the new star. Barcelona took football to its highest technical levels ever and also left a big impact tactically.

adexkola

Supports
Zidane's big merit was man management. Tactically, he did nothing special and Real's football was never that great, unlike Pep's Barcelona. People deliberately forget that Barcelona before Guardiola assumed was in serious crisis and Xavi and Iniesta were nowhere near as unanimous as now. Guardiola was bold in trusting them and getting rid of Ronaldinho and Deco, while making Messi the new star. Barcelona took football to its highest technical levels ever and also left a big impact tactically.
Fixed. It's like flat earthism.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
The fact that Ramos in particular shits the bed every time he has to play against Messi is evidence of a weakness in Real Madrid.

That only further proves that Pep's Barcelona would be the favourite against Zidane's Madrid in a knockout game.
To be fair it wasn't only Ramos..

In the 15 Clasicos that Pep managed, Madrid saw 8 red cards. Ramos only got 2 of those :lol:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Chelsea 2012 was just lucky as hell, both against Barcelona and Bayern that year. And the only thing that Zidane's Real has over that Barcelona is mentality. Barcelona were so used to easily destroying adversaries that they could be really shaken, nervous and lost in the few times that this was not the case.
I think that mentality comes not only from having big game players but from their adaptability as a team. While Pep's Barca had a plan A that was enough to outplay any opponent, Zidane's Madrid were different. If a certain plan wasn't working they knew they could change things up easily. They could control the midfield for large periods of the game in similar fashion to Pep's Barca at times but they also could sit deep, play on the counter, they could win games through set pieces, attack through the middle or through the flanks, they were better physically... they were much more complete as a team.

Madrid won it in 2017 with their possession football of Modric, Kroos and Isco enabling them to control and overcrowd the midfield. Then in the first knockout tie of 2018 they go to Paris away and leave Modric, Kroos and Isco on the bench in order to play a flat 4-4-2 with Lucas Vasquez, Casemiro, Kovacic and Asensio behind Ronaldo and Benzema and they go on to completely control the game by playing an entirely different brand of football.

Zidane's big merit was man management. Tactically, he did nothing special and Real's football was never that great
You're not giving Zidane the credit he deserves, his plan A didn't involve anything special tactically but his ability to adjust their way of playing midway through those CL matches was incredible and deserves a lot of praise.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Zidane's big merit was man management. Tactically, he did nothing special and Real's football was never that great, unlike Pep's Barcelona. People forget that Barcelona before Guardiola assumed was in serious crisis and Xavi and Iniesta were nowhere near as unanimous as now. Guardiola was bold in trusting them and getting rid of Ronaldinho and Deco, while making Messi the new star. Barcelona took football to its highest technical levels ever and also left a big impact tactically.
And yet Zidane achieved more on the European stage than Pep did in his first three years of coaching. He also came back to a mess of a Madrid side and got them to first place which they since fell down to second and it remains to be seen how the season finishes, if ever.

But I hear far too many saying Zidane is just a glorified locker room psychologist or something with no tactical prowess and it's just wrong and often comes from Barcelona fans. A team like Madrid never needed major adjustments the way Barcelona did. And let's not get it twisted, Barcelona was filled with talents as well but it needed some changes. Anyone coming into the team knew that Ronaldinho was on his way down, partied too much, and was close to Messi, a potential Ballon d'Or. Getting rid of R10/Deco wasn't as bold as you make it out to be, especially with the information they had at the time and the emergence of Xavi and Iniesta (who, regardless whether they were unanimous or not were clearly great players in the making, I'm not giving him tactical genius for using them).

There's plenty of examples of Zidane making key tactical adjustments in games or his starting XI to get his team crucial wins whether in the CL or La Liga, just a simple search will show you better examples than I could put into words. But ultimately, the title of this thread is correct, you can't compare two different situations, with different teams. Zidane is clearly a great manager, because a great personality is only going to last so long in a locker room full of champions, you need more than that. His game & man management, his squad rotations and convincing CR7 to rest (a miracle on its own), ability to motivate and inspire, the simple change of tactics for everybody to grasp and apply right away (as soon as Zidane took over, he won more points in the league than any other team right away until the end of the season, but the gap was too big to make up in the end). And it's been pretty easy to see the difference in performances when Madrid is managed under Zidane as opposed to anybody else that's been in charge recently.

Barcelona needed a tactical revolution because their game focused mostly on a Ronaldinho, on his way down, creating as much as possible; Real Madrid never needed such a shift to play consistently winning football. Sometimes, less is more, and that recognition and application in a simple system that the entire team can follow is also the mark of a tactician. He recognized the strengths of his team and exploited them, but the simplicity of his system is its own brilliance, and it's reliant on the players he has. On the same token, tiki-taka doesn't work without Xavi and Iniesta as the leading orchestrators, it's not a full-proof system that Pep can just bring to, or teach to just any team. You adjust to the personnel you have. Zidane kept it simple because that's what Madrid needed, they're not the kind of team that you should bog down tactically with players like Marcelo (who's up and down now but was great for Zidane), or someone like Isco who needs freedom and creativity to shine. Casemiro has pretty strict guidelines to follow in the midfield, the rest was about exploiting Benzema/CR7 and getting the ball to them.

At the end of the day, no one can argue with the results and these are two special coaches, but Pep has shown he can bring success to several teams and leagues (although, he does pick very easy situations where the chance to fail is minimal), and I'd like to see Zidane eventually do the same.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
There are a million things that can go wrong in a long campaign, big decisions going for/against you, the schedule, playing more CL games, etc. etc., so winning by 1-2-3 pts just means that you won, and that's what matters in the end, but it isn't the absolute barometer of you being the clear best side, neither is winning the CL, but the thing is that a league title is always inferior to CL, plus, as much as certain posters like adexkola like to push that dumb narrative, losing a league campaign by 1-2-3 points over 38 games is way less of a margin than losing KO ties in CL. That's just elementary math.

Over the course of those 4 CLs over 5 seasons, the only outlier is Zizou's last Liga, where the title was lost early, and he pushed the focus on CL. The others ended as below:

2013-14, Atleti won by 3 pts
2014-15, Barca won by 2 pts (Carlo goes out)
2015-16, Barca won by 1 pt (although Zizou started with a much bigger margin, having replaced Benitez)
2016-17, Madrid won by 3 pts

The results during Pep's reign weren't really dissimilar either, but we have to remember that in his first season Madrid had a way way inferior squad and freaking Schuster at the helm. Madrid didn't go past CL's last 16 until 2010-11, when Mou came in.

2008-09, Barca won by 9 pts (Schuster LOL)
2009-10, Barca won by 3 pts (Pellegrini)
2010-11, Barca won by 4 pts (Mou's 1st season)
2011-12, Madrid won by 9 pts (Pep's last season, having already lost to Di Matteo in CL)

As you see, the table doesn't suggest an almighty side that leaves the league in its wake by 20 pts or something. The less said about Pep's away record in CL even against half decent sides, the better. Zizou is miles ahead in that regard.

Last edited:

adexkola

Supports
@MVBDX

We will always differ in opinion on how important the CL (alone) is. Ultimately you think that one extra CL and coming close in the league 1 year is enough to outweigh 2 extra La Ligas, 2 Copa Del Rays, coming close in the league 1 year, and 2 CL semifinals. Not taking into account Real's versatility vs Barcelona's sheer dominance against domestic and Continental rivals. I'm on the other side. Ultimately when I seize power and ban non-champions from the CL this conversation will be a moot point :D

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Madrid's game in 2017 vs Bayern will rival that. a phoney red card to Vidal plus 2 blatant offside goals all at Bernabeu
Still, that Real team has two more CLs. Barcelona has one, which was won against a mighty United side including Fabio at left-back and Giggs in central midfield.

@MVBDX

We will always differ in opinion on how important the CL (alone) is. Ultimately you think that one extra CL and coming close in the league 1 year is enough to outweigh 2 extra La Ligas, 2 Copa Del Rays, coming close in the league 1 year, and 2 CL semifinals. Not taking into account Real's versatility vs Barcelona's sheer dominance against domestic and Continental rivals. I'm on the other side. Ultimately when I seize power and ban non-champions from the CL this conversation will be a moot point :D
It will not, as you can still win the league and win the CL next season, while completely fecking it up domestically.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Late 2000s was indeed a very difficult time but Pep only started at Barca in 2008/09. 2009 was a very strong year as they went through two top teams in Chelsea and United, after that I don't think it was a tough period judging by how the other top teams were doing. The english teams massively declined, Dortmund, Juve and the oil clubs weren't about, Bayern and Madrid were good but would go on to become a lot better. That Barca team really should have won it 4 times in a row between 2009 to 2012, getting knocked out by Inter and Chelsea was criminal. It might be a bit crazy to say this but I honestly think they underachieved by winning 3 league titles and 2 CL titles in 4 years.

For Zidane's Madrid, people downplayed their wins over Simeone's Atletico but the truth is that team knocked out Pep's Bayern at their best, MSN Barca twice and this current Liverpool team. Them plus Barca, Bayern and Allegri's Juve made high enough competition imo. City and PSG always shit themselves but they have great squads too.
Zidanes Madrid did not beat Peps Bayern

Ancelotti Madrid beat Peps Bayern
Zidanes Madrid beat Ancelotti and Jupps Bayern

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
@MVBDX

Pep won 2 CLs and 3 Ligas in 4 years.
Zizou won 3 CLs and 1 Liga in 2.5 seasons (yep, 2 and a half, since the first Liga was basically unwinnable, he even won his only Clasico in that half season, and don't forget that was the MSN Barca side who were quite formidable, having won the treble in the previous season, not some terrible side managed by Schuster or the always average Pellegrini, who make up 2 out of 3 Liga wins of Pep).

And no, Barca under Pep didn't have sheer dominance against continental rivals, I hope that's a joke. They struggled massively in so many away CL KOs. That's far from dominance, meanwhile Zizou has the best CL KO record of all time, meaning results against some of the best of the best, in the most prestigious competition.

freeurmind

weak willed
I'm sure Pep's side would trade the "better side" moniker for those CL medals.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Real Madrid's squad depth in 2016-2017 was insanely good. Their La Liga matches that season which they used their second string team in, with the likes of Ronaldo on occasions not even travelling to the stadium, were pretty fun to watch. The 6-2 win away to Depor was one such example.

They were better than Pep's Barcelona at adapting to different circumstances and tactical approaches from opponents and finding a way to win a tough CL match; in-particular winning 5 away knockout matches out of 6 in 2017 and 2018 (2 vs. Bayern, 1 vs. Juve, 1 vs. PSG and 1 vs. Napoli) was incredibly impressive. In a big CL match, you could be pretty confident that the Ronaldo-Marcelo link on the left, or Kroos and Modric in midfield etc, would deliver. Plus they did win La Liga matches away to Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Valencia during that Zidane's 2.5 year first spell.

6 players started both the 2014 and 2018 CL finals for them (Ronaldo, Ramos, Benzema, Modric, Varane and Carvajal), while Bale, Marcelo and Isco started one of the finals and came on as a substitute to make a significant impact in the other, so despite the managerial change from Ancelotti to Zidane, that bulk of that team really won the tournament 4 times in 5 years.

The 2nd best period of dominance of the competition in the CL era after Real Madrid from 2014-2018, was Real Madrid again from 1998-2002 with 3 wins in 5 seasons and another semi-final appearance in 2001 (Bayern and them were the 2 best teams that season).

Last edited:

adexkola

Supports
Zizou won 3 CLs and 1 Liga in 2.5 seasons (yep, 2 and a half, since the first Liga was basically unwinnable, he even won his only Clasico in that half season, and don't forget that was the MSN Barca side who were quite formidable, having won the treble in the previous season, not some terrible side managed by Schuster or the always average Pellegrini, who make up 2 out of 3 Liga wins of Pep).

And no, Barca under Pep didn't have sheer dominance against continental rivals, I hope that's a joke. They struggled massively in so many away CL KOs. That's far from dominance, meanwhile Zizou has the best CL KO record of all time, meaning results against some of the best of the best, in the most prestigious competition.
What is your obsession with away KO games? Do you wank to a tally of away results Real obtained (you probably do, fair enough).

Zidane did very well in that aspect but you don't get extra trophies for winning away from home. At the end of the day you need to win the tie. Was that your strategy for City? Concede the home game, lure them into a false sense of security and then go for the away win at the Etihad? Ditto with Ajax, did you relax after another away win, not thinking to defend home court?

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
What is your obsession with away KO games? Do you wank to a tally of away results Real obtained (you probably do, fair enough).

Zidane did very well in that aspect but you don't get extra trophies for winning away from home. At the end of the day you need to win the tie. Was that your strategy for City? Concede the home game, lure them into a false sense of security and then go for the away win at the Etihad? Ditto with Ajax, did you relax after another away win, not thinking to defend home court?
Maybe you do? He did win 3 CLs in a row thanks to that, which is unprecedented. The main reason other great sides struggle with repeating CL success is struggling away from home, they can't deal with the pressure at Turn, Anfield, Munich etc., while for Madrid under Zizou it was all the same.

City tie is up in the air, not to mention that it has no bearing on the discussion whatsoever, there's no BBC, no prime Modric/Marcelo and whatnot, it's almost a new side in the making with Vinicius, Velverede, Mendy, Rodrygo etc.

And Ajax wasn't under Zizou, what does it have to do with anything? Should we count Barca getting 7 upped by Bayern as Pep's results? You've really lost the plot.

adexkola

Supports
Maybe you do? He did win 3 CLs in a row thanks to that, which is unprecedented.

City tie is up in the air, not to mention that it has no bearing on the discussion whatsoever, there's no BBC, no prime Modric/Marcelo and whatnot, it's almost a new side in the making with Vinicius, Velverede, Mendy, Rodrygo etc.

And Ajax wasn't under Zizou, what does it have to do with anything? You've lost the plot.
Just trying to understand why you wank to away game victories.

Again, excellent work by Zidane's team to win all those away games. Netted them one additional trophy over that Barcelona. Which, again, you think outweighs 4 domestic trophies. 4/2.5 > 7/4. Yup.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid

Again, excellent work by Zidane's team to win all those away games. Netted them one additional trophy over that Barcelona. Which, again, you think outweighs 4 domestic trophies. 4/2.5 > 7/4. Yup.
Only a simpleton would compare a CL or even a Liga title to a Cup.
You can bet that Pep would swap every other mickey mouse trophy of his for another CL.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

Pep had 4 years, Zidane had 2 and a half. Pep won 3 of 4 leagues and 2 of 4 CLs. Zidane won 1 of 2 leagues and 3 of 3 CLs. Against tougher opposition too, at least domestically.

matbezlima

I think that mentality comes not only from having big game players but from their adaptability as a team. While Pep's Barca had a plan A that was enough to outplay any opponent, Zidane's Madrid were different. If a certain plan wasn't working they knew they could change things up easily. They could control the midfield for large periods of the game in similar fashion to Pep's Barca at times but they also could sit deep, play on the counter, they could win games through set pieces, attack through the middle or through the flanks, they were better physically... they were much more complete as a team.

You're not giving Zidane the credit he deserves, his plan A didn't involve anything special tactically but his ability to adjust their way of playing midway through those CL matches was incredible and deserves a lot of praise.
Real was a more versatile team. Barcelona, specially Pep, was devoted to not only winning, but winning with a philosophy that the players had to follow like a religion. That's why Guardiola got rid of Eto'o (Barcelona's top striker in the 2008-2009 season), who did not fully accept Guardiola's philosophy, and this remains the biggest mistake of Pep's career. It might have been the difference between Barcelona not winning the UCL in 2010 and they winning it. Ibrahimovic was a great player, but his individualistic play style weakened Barcelona's traditional plan A. Ibra should not have started the games against Inter, he should only be brought in the end. As Michael Cox said: Guardiola used what should be his plan B as his plan A against Inter. He should first have tired Inter's defense with quick wingers and then in the final stages of the matches bring Ibrahimovic. Guardiola did the opposite.

Coming back to the main subject, Barcelona was so specialized and precise in their passing combinations and precision in tight spaces that they took the whole sport to a newer, higher technical level than ever. Their technical level still remains unmatched and will be unmatched for a long time. I mean, watch these two full games below, this is the best football I have ever seen.

And it's not like Barcelona couldn't or didn't have the players and technical quality to slightly switch their possession play to a more direct and vertical one, they were just too stubborn to do this most of the time. Watch the full match below, in which Barcelona did not really play much tiki-taka. A great performance.

Zidane's Real was great and a jack of all trades, but they never came close to reach these heights. It can be argued that other teams from the 2010s, like Bayern 2012-2016 and Barcelona 2015, or even Real 2012, could reach technical heights of precision, speed, dominance and control similar or better than even Real 2017, which was by far the most dominant Real team coached by Zidane, they were truly great in 2017.

To be fair it wasn't only Ramos..

In the 15 Clasicos that Pep managed, Madrid saw 8 red cards. Ramos only got 2 of those :lol:
Real Madrid really was violent and hot-headed against Barcelona in that time. Understandable considering how Barcelona had defeated Real five times in a row. The situation reached a boiling point in the series of 4 Clásicos in two weeks in 2011 in which Real just wanted to stop Barcelona at all costs, including kicking Barcelona's players, Mourinho's trash talking to belittle Barcelona's achievements, letting the grass at the Bernabéu be taller than ideal to hinder Barcelona's passing game and also parking the bus, with Mourinho having three holding midfielders and PEPE as his DM!

Only a simpleton would compare a CL or even a Liga title to a Cup.
You can bet that Pep would swap every other mickey mouse trophy of his for another CL.
You are making it seem as if Barcelona was not extremely winner during Pep's reign. 2 UCLs is truly great! Overall, they won 14 out of 18 official titles in Pep's four seasons. And Barcelona only lost four games in the 2009-2010 season, they were still clearly the best team in Europe despite not winning the UCL. And the 2011-2012 season was an end of cycle, the team was being bad in away games at La Liga and seemed to lose focus, though still a great team that was defeated by Real only once in that reason, beat Real at the Bernabéu two times and reached the UCL semi-finals, being eliminated by a freakishly lucky Chelsea that defeated a great and far superior Bayern team in the final in similar freakish luck fashion. Overall, there is not much difference between Pep's Barcelona and Zidane's Madrid when it comes to winning titles, both squads were insanely winning!

Real Madrid's squad depth in 2016-2017 was insanely good.

They were better than Pep's Barcelona at adapting to different circumstances and tactical approaches from opponents and finding a way to win a tough CL match; in-particular winning 5 away knockout matches out of 6 in 2017 and 2018 (2 vs. Bayern, 1 vs. Juve, 1 vs. PSG and 1 vs. Napoli) was incredibly impressive. In a big CL match, you could be pretty confident that the Ronaldo-Marcelo link on the left, or Kroos and Modric in midfield etc, would deliver. Plus they did win La Liga matches away to Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Valencia during that Zidane's 2.5 year first spell.

Answering you both: Barcelona's "bad" away record is not as simple as you say, as if Barcelona was bad playing away. All needs context. Zidane's Real won plenty of away games playing really badly. They were so inferior to Bayern in both legs in 2018. Pep's Barcelona poor record away was weird sometimes. For example, in the away games against Lyon in 2009 and Stuttgart in 2010, Barcelona played badly and also were going through many players, such as Xavi, having brief slumps. Barcelona always had slumps in February. Still, Barcelona's performances at home against Lyon and Stuttgart were so fantastic that the poor performances away did not matter: 5-2 and 4-0 respectively. In the case of Barcelona's 1-1 draw against Bayern in 2009, Barcelona had won the first leg at home 4-0 in a fantastic performance! They played the second leg against Bayern at a very slow pace. Also, there were some cases, though, in which Barcelona was truly great playing away at the UCL and were actually just really unlucky to draw or lose. Watch the full matches of Barcelona against Arsenal at the Emirates in 2010 and 2011. Barcelona was truly brilliant, but they got complacent towards the end of the matches and allowed Arsenal's comebacks when they should have sealed both ties already! And I would like also to highlight Barcelona's great 3-2 victory over Milan at San Siro in 2011 in a technically fantastic match!

6 players started both the 2014 and 2018 CL finals for them (Ronaldo, Ramos, Benzema, Modric, Varane and Carvajal), while Bale, Marcelo and Isco started one of the finals and came on as a substitute to make a significant impact in the other, so despite the managerial change from Ancelotti to Zidane, that bulk of that team really won the tournament 4 times in 5 years.
By your logic, why not put Barcelona 2015 together with Pep's Barcelona? After all, Barcelona had 6 starters from the 2011 UCL final in the 2015 UCL final too.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Real was a more versatile team. Barcelona, specially Pep, was devoted to not only winning, but winning with a philosophy that the players had to follow like a religion. That's why Guardiola got rid of Eto'o (Barcelona's top striker in the 2008-2009 season), who did not fully accept Guardiola's philosophy, and this remains the biggest mistake of Pep's career. It might have been the difference between Barcelona not winning the UCL in 2010 and they winning it. Ibrahimovic was a great player, but his individualistic play style weakened Barcelona's traditional plan A. Ibra should not have started the games against Inter, he should only be brought in the end. As Michael Cox said: Guardiola used what should be his plan B as his plan A against Inter. He should first have tired Inter's defense with quick wingers and then in the final stages of the matches bring Ibrahimovic. Guardiola did the opposite.

Coming back to the main subject, Barcelona was so specialized and precise in their passing combinations and precision in tight spaces that they took the whole sport to a newer, higher technical level than ever. Their technical level still remains unmatched and will be unmatched for a long time. I mean, watch these two full games below, this is the best football I have ever seen.

And it's not like Barcelona couldn't or didn't have the players and technical quality to slightly switch their possession play to a more direct and vertical one, they were just too stubborn to do this most of the time. Watch the full match below, in which Barcelona did not really play much tiki-taka. A great performance.

Zidane's Real was great and a jack of all trades, but they never came close to reach these heights. It can be argued that other teams from the 2010s, like Bayern 2012-2016 and Barcelona 2015, or even Real 2012, could reach technical heights of precision, speed, dominance and control similar or better than even Real 2017, which was by far the most dominant Real team coached by Zidane, they were truly great in 2017.

Real Madrid really was violent and hot-headed against Barcelona in that time. Understandable considering how Barcelona had defeated Real five times in a row. The situation reached a boiling point in the series of 4 Clásicos in two weeks in 2011 in which Real just wanted to stop Barcelona at all costs, including kicking Barcelona's players, Mourinho's trash talking to belittle Barcelona's achievements, letting the grass at the Bernabéu be taller than ideal to hinder Barcelona's passing game and also parking the bus, with Mourinho having three holding midfielders and PEPE as his DM!

You are making it seem as if Barcelona was not extremely winner during Pep's reign. 2 UCLs is truly great! Overall, they won 14 out of 18 official titles in Pep's four seasons. And Barcelona only lost four games in the 2009-2010 season, they were still clearly the best team in Europe despite not winning the UCL. And the 2011-2012 season was an end of cycle, the team was being bad in away games at La Liga and seemed to lose focus, though still a great team that was defeated by Real only once in that reason, beat Real at the Bernabéu two times and reached the UCL semi-finals, being eliminated by a freakishly lucky Chelsea that defeated a great and far superior Bayern team in the final in similar freakish luck fashion. Overall, there is not much difference between Pep's Barcelona and Zidane's Madrid when it comes to winning titles, both squads were insanely winning!

Answering you both: Barcelona's "bad" away record is not as simple as you say, as if Barcelona was bad playing away. All needs context. Zidane's Real won plenty of away games playing really badly. They were so inferior to Bayern in both legs in 2018. Pep's Barcelona poor record away was weird sometimes. For example, in the away games against Lyon in 2009 and Stuttgart in 2010, Barcelona played badly and also were going through many players, such as Xavi, having brief slumps. Barcelona always had slumps in February. Still, Barcelona's performances at home against Lyon and Stuttgart were so fantastic that the poor performances away did not matter: 5-2 and 4-0 respectively. In the case of Barcelona's 1-1 draw against Bayern in 2009, Barcelona had won the first leg at home 4-0 in a fantastic performance! They played the second leg against Bayern at a very slow pace. Also, there were some cases, though, in which Barcelona was truly great playing away at the UCL and were actually just really unlucky to draw or lose. Watch the full matches of Barcelona against Arsenal at the Emirates in 2010 and 2011. Barcelona was truly brilliant, but they got complacent towards the end of the matches and allowed Arsenal's comebacks when they should have sealed both ties already! And I would like also to highlight Barcelona's great 3-2 victory over Milan at San Siro in 2011 in a technically fantastic match!

By your logic, why not put Barcelona 2015 together with Pep's Barcelona? After all, Barcelona had 6 starters from the 2011 UCL final in the 2015 UCL final too.
I see Pep's PR machine has worked on you, because you sound like Xavi, oh they won but we were better, football lost.... I'm sure his philosophy worked great for him losing CL after CL against worse squads. Just look at City going out against Monaco, Spurs and whatnot, save me the philosophy talk.

And no, neither of Lyon, Stuttgart, or even Arsenal or Milan around 2009-2011ish were "great" sides. They were way way past it. Yet, Pep struggled playing away to such inferior sides.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

They were neither more successful or entertaining, but the entertaining point specifically, I would much rather watch Barcelona in that era than Real in the other era. Unfortunately Barcelona of that time often get lumped in with Spain of that time, who played boring, defensive tika-taka, whereas Barcelona with Messi were a different animal and played to entertain.

I'd actually argue that Real Madrid were better opposition to Barca in Pep's era than Barca were to Real in Zidane's era, yet Barca still won most leagues under Zidane. Real Madrid got 100 points in 2011-12, 96 points in 2009-10 and 92 points in 2010-11. That Mourinho team was exceptional but they had an all-time great team to beat, whereas Real Madrid under Zidane never did.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I see Pep's PR machine has worked on you, because you sound like Xavi, oh they won but we were better, football lost.... I'm sure his philosophy worked great for him losing CL after CL against worse squads. Just look at City going out against Monaco, Spurs and whatnot, save me the philosophy talk.

And no, neither of Lyon, Stuttgart, or even Arsenal or Milan around 2009-2011ish were "great" sides. They were way way past it. Yet, Pep struggled playing away to such inferior sides.
I'll take it you only take winning into account and think that when a team doesn't win, it means they "struggled"...
Pep's Barça dominated those teams in 90mins despite not winning away.

A big difference between Pep's Barça (and other Pep teams) and Zidane's Madrid is that you can feel the fear of other teams from the beginning of any game against Pep's Barça, they basically all entered the games only trying to defend and create half chances and make the best out of those chances. Zidane's Madrid (despite being a great team on paper and actually winning the CL) never seemed to put the fear of God against teams, teams actually came out and tried to outplay them which often ended up in Madrid's favor.

There's a reason why Pep's Barça is considered by many as the greatest team ever...