Why the meltdowns and drama everytime we don't win?

Mickfoley

It was worse when we lost against Bilbao in the champions league under Fergie. Reading the forum you'd think we're managed by Big Sam fighting for relegation.

borrays

Now, before I start. Last night was grim. Have a moan by all means, I wasn't impressed.

Tactics were wrong, system was wrong and the players couldn't be arsed.

Oh, and Phil Jones.

But some of us here take the moaning and dramas to a different level. It's pathetic.

We're second in the league behind a phenomenal Man City side. We had a fantastic January until last night.

In football, you lose matches and sometimes play badly. I personally feel we're about 'par' for where are right now. We've got some superb forward/attacking players, two immense midfielders and a world class GK.

We're still missing Bailly. Jones and Smalling will cause most managers anguish when a pumped up Spurs side are pressing you.

I'm not excusing last night - it was dross. But we've had matches like it under Fergie and we'll have matches like it again.

The way some on here behave though as if the end of the world is nigh. We lost a match. Move on.
"And starting sanchez hurt us" thread ;)

Seriously one bad game and things went ape shit. Sell this, sell that, we won't win things with x,y,z in our team :wenger:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nucks

RT History Department
Now, before I start. Last night was grim. Have a moan by all means, I wasn't impressed.

Oh, and Phil Jones.

But some of us here take the moaning and dramas to a different level. It's pathetic.

We're second in the league behind a phenomenal Man City side. We had a fantastic January until last night.

In football, you lose matches and sometimes play badly. I personally feel we're about 'par' for where are right now. We've got some superb forward/attacking players, two immense midfielders and a world class GK.

We're still missing Bailly. Jones and Smalling will cause most managers anguish when a pumped up Spurs side are pressing you.

I'm not excusing last night - it was dross. But we've had matches like it under Fergie and we'll have matches like it again.

The way some on here behave though as if the end of the world is nigh. We lost a match. Move on.
Participation award generation has grown up, and they are used to winning everything at all times, in their regular life, YOU GET A STAR, YOU GET A STAR, EVERYONE GETS A STAR, and as United supporters. Now they don't know how to cope and they are an embarrassment to themselves, this club, and their friends and family.

Sagittarius13

"And starting sanchez hurt us" thread ;)

Seriously one bad game and things went ape shit. Sell this, sell that, we won't win things with x,y,z in our team :wenger:

Exactly my thoughts, disappointed with both, the defeat against spurs and childish reactions.

Last edited by a moderator:

T A

I think it could be understandable.
  • 5 years without big trophy (PL/CL) is hard enough for a winning team nurtured by the ratio ~ 1 PL/2yrs throughout 27 previous yrs.
  • City's this season dominance has been extreme and any defeat would smash our PL dream permanently.
  • This also is Jose's second year at Old Trafford. With the guy who has never lost any single league title at any club in his second years, everyone has a right to believe in something big.
With the decline of Chelsea plus the same performances of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, it should be the two horse race between us and City. Again there is nothing wrong with expecting the same tightness, intensity and aggressiveness as Real - Barca story in La Liga instead of a 15 points gap at this moment.

I mean if Jose had won the battle against a monster club like Barcelona 11-12, when his time in charge (2 yrs) even shorter than Pep's (4 yrs), people must wonder why he just couldnt do it now, with his same old enemy, with the same time in charge? Angriness and pain are inevitable, cant blame anyone for having that thought and expressing it

Coops73

Oh, and Phil Jones.

Wait! Is this one of those “fake” threads that’s doing the rounds? If not I wholeheartedly agree, if it is haha I get it very funny, you can’t kid a kidder.

el3mel

Think this is one of the biggest meltdowns Caf has ever witnesses. It's really epic. I bet rival clubs forums are reading posts here now and laughing their arses of this. It makes RAWKs meltdowns nothing compared to this. :lol:

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Generally because people making comments immediately after a performance like that just magnifies emotion, frustration, disappointment and anger.

It's hard to judge reactions in the immediate aftermath. I think it certainly highlights how far we have still to go in the rebuild. It also highlights what we have to consider if we are to get the best out of our current signings.

Quite honestly, when I saw the line up for Spurs I thought it was ambitious and might see us exposed. What frustrated many was we were actually worse second half. Thought we responded to their early goal well initially and then steadily dropped off as the game went on. After the second we didn't remotely look capable of causing them any problems .

Our big players aren't producing on the big occasions for a variety of reasons, and there's too many still here, playing alot of games that should be replaced/added to with quality.

Our season really hinges on what we do in the two cup competitions now. We should be getting top 4. Chelsea are in meltdown, the filth seem capable of feck ups. Of the top sides we have only one game left away...that's City.

Anyone taking Sevilla for granted needs to look at what we are capable of serving up, that's by no means a given. I would expect us to beat Birmingham with no issue, but Huddersfield, as we showed can be a banana skin away. We were horrible there earlier in the season.

If we find a way to get the best out Pogba, Sanchez, Martial and Lukaku then we are going to cause anyone a problem. However teams of any quality are going to create chances against us...because all of our defensive pairings have a huge capability for self destruction. Whether that's mindless challenges, running into each other, or just general feckery. As I said in another thread, people can bang on shouts goals conceded all they like. It's certainly one indicator. But when you look at us in the context of 90 minutes you see there are issues. We didn't keep clean sheets against Stoke at home and Burnley away because of good defending. The chances we gifted to two very average sides was unreal . That showed issues in midfield and at the back that need sorting. Until we do it's unlikely we will reach that consistent level we require to challenge on all fronts seriously.

nah_it_wont_happen

I don't think people are in meltdown irrationally.

Big performances in big matches are what fans want the most. However, since Mourinho joined, we have been utterly disgraceful in big matches, especially away from home.

Imagine what the United away fans are feeling. Apparently they are some of the best away fans in the country, however, they are almost regularly served ridiculous level of garbage performance by the team in the big matches. The team is not serving what the away fans deserve.

I'm not that bothered by the result, but the performance has been unbelievably stale, that hurts the most. Under LVG, despite being really poor most of the times, we used to raise our game in big matches and would fight till death and usually win those, under Mourinho it's all gone, it's totally a performance with nothing to cheer at all, no positives at all.

Last edited:

londonredmaniac

Think this is one of the biggest meltdowns Caf has ever witnesses. It's really epic. I bet rival clubs forums are reading posts here now and laughing their arses of this. It makes RAWKs meltdowns nothing compared to this. :lol:
Yes, I'm gutted that Liverpool and Arsenal fans will be laughing. It keeps me awake at night.

How many trophies Gabe they won between them the last decade? :lol:

Aye. Thought so :) seriously? Grown folks worrying about what people on the internet think of them. Crazy

The BlackGaijin

A lot of reasons. But the stupid threads are from closet City and Liverpool supporters who have to hide here because RAWK and Bluemoon suck balls.

Peanut Butter

Wait! Is this one of those “fake” threads that’s doing the rounds? If not I wholeheartedly agree, if it is haha I get it very funny, you can’t kid a kidder.
Definitely not fake. I used to enjoy reading the Caf. Not so much these days.

"OMG we r so shit"

And "City gonna win everything unless we buy 20 new players" isn't constructive, intelligent debate. It's hyperbole.

londonredmaniac

I think that's part of the problem PB. They have been exceptional so far, but let's not pretend we should be happy to be second to them. There is no reason, given the money we have spent, we shouldn't be capable of being closer to their level. They shouldn't be 15 point better than us. We should be upping our levels, not hoping theirs drop.

a world class GK.
We do, who has saved us about 9 points single handedly this season thus far. However, if I'm big Dave at this point in my career, I want some big trophies. How long does he wait for us to challenge? I hope he's here next season, but if we have another similar season who could blame him for looking elsewhere?

[/QUOTE]

We are, however he's certainly a long way from top class. He has plenty of time on his side and is a monster on his day. If we can see him develop into that consistent performer we've got a real player on our hands.

Unfortunately Jones and Smalling have both got daft mistakes in them despite being decent. They are good centre backs on their day...but we should be looking at better.

Work to do, but as you say not the end of the would by any means. We need to show some sort of reaction tomorrow and get moving again. No silly dropped points, good performance and some sort of cohesion.

londonredmaniac

Definitely not fake. I used to enjoy reading the Caf. Not so much these days.

"OMG we r so shit"

And "City gonna win everything unless we buy 20 new players" isn't constructive, intelligent debate. It's hyperbole.
Hopefully everyone is feeling better after tomorrow. If we don't win tomorrow this place might explode!

Safa Boy

I don't think it's really the losing that gets people upset. It's the performances we sometimes see from the players. No passion, no fight, no nothing. We also lost important games under SAF, but it was almost never down to a lack of passion or fight. I think people just want to see that United again and you can't really blame them. It was incredible to watch.

Bestietom

We all know that we lose sometimes but if we are to lose I would expect top professional footballers to at least try.

londonredmaniac

I don't think it's really the losing that gets people upset. It's the performances we sometimes see from the players. No passion, no fight, no nothing. We also lost important games under SAF, but it was almost never down to a lack of passion or fight. I think people just want to see that United again and you can't really blame them. It was incredible to watch.
Agree to an extent.

Karlkim SK

I also see a lot of our fans praise and get excited when we win or in a good run. I think that's normal that a lot of our fans moan and get dramatized when we lost. The fans with positive attitude just have to post more to balance them out.

Zoo

It’s been like this ever since we lost our SAF security blanket. Transition is tough.

Saying that we’re having a good season on the back of winning two trophies last year, it’s just that City are having a stormer

Infra-red

The nature of the competition also contributes - you're only ever a bad run of 2-3 games away from being well outside the top 4 and scrabbling around trying to salvage the season. This makes people nervous.

shield

It is the manner in which it happened. Apart from that very promising 20 min period before the 2nd goal, we got absolutely destroyed by Tottenham. A well fought 1-0 or 2-0 can be tolerated. We just gave up. Forget, about goals we conceded, we did not even manage to threaten them. Also, this is not the first time we have performed like this against a title contender, and what is worrying is that this is becoming a habit.

This is a team having Pogba, Sanchez, Martial, Matic and Lukaku. I am sure we might manage to play well in the future (fingers crossed), but at the moment at least, given the amount of money we have spent, the players we have, it is quite obvious why we feel outraged after such a tepid performance against a team which has nowhere close to the amount of resources we do.

Crimson King

Completely agree.

Losing is never fun but I was just so angry at the lack of fight after the 2nd goal went in the other night. I know it must be hard, you're playing a good team riding a high after a great start, everything's going their way and nothing seems to be coming off for you, but you can't just throw in the towel like that.

I think for a lot of United fans who grew up during SAF's reign (a majority of people on here I imagine) thought that this spirit was part of the club's DNA. However, now it feels like that mentality left with the great man, or at least was eroded away by Moyes and to a lesser extent LvG.

I just want to see that again on a more consistent basis. We get bullied by teams sometimes. So many of our players lack bottle. Valencia and Sanchez were the only two with any fight the other night. We probably miss Bailly's aggression in defense, Smalling and Jones are good defenders but they both come across as too 'nice'.

We were pretty much bitch slapped by Spurs the other night, and it didn't feel good. Perhaps if they hadn't scored so quickly things would have panned out differently, but after that it rarely looked like a contest.

Craig Bellendy

United supporters are passionate pure and simple, some of us have trouble controlling our emotions so we vent our anger on here.

my partner never understands why i scream and shout when im watching a game, exactly the same thing.

I personally enjoy reading these kind of posts, reminds me im not the only 1 hurting

Rake

It is the way we played that drives me mad and this is not the first time we have done so. We have been constantly poor against top opposition (bar 1-2 games) with most of the players underperforming and Mourinho being totally lost on how to influence the game once the "plan" doesn't work out. The mentality of the players is that if the pre-game plan goes to shit, there is nothing they can do afterwards or at least that is how it seems.

It is like watching the same game over and over again.

Denis' cuff

Frustrating but better to lose to the berts, Chavs and Spurs rather than Bournemouth or WBA at home. We’ve played all the top teams, mostly away and are still 3 pts clear of the chasing pack, despite the other night.

Work in progress.

Crimson King

United supporters are passionate pure and simple, some of us have trouble controlling our emotions so we vent our anger on here.

my partner never understands why i scream and shout when im watching a game, exactly the same thing.

I personally enjoy reading these kind of posts, reminds me im not the only 1 hurting
This is one of the reasons I got into Redcafe. It always used to be a good pick me up after a defeat.

I must admit though, over the last few years the reactions have gotten progressively more negative. So much hate towards the team and individual players sometimes.

I usually avoid it now after a defeat, at least until people's focus shifts to the next game.

acnumber9

What way should fans react? We're not a mid table club ffs.
And yet we have fans here whining that we aren’t as organised as a mid table team. I think that’s the kind of complaint that this thread is referring to.

arnie_ni

8 away games against top 6 sides since jose took charges. 1 goal no wins
We scored 3 against Arsenal
Where do you get your stats from :lol:
I was sent a picture that appeared to be from a ssn broadcast.
So i checked myself:

Last season

2 0 ares
2 1 spurs
Nil nil city
Nil nil pool
4 nil chelsea

0 wins 1 goal

This season

Nil nil pool
1 0 Chelsea
1 3 us against ares
2 0 spurs

Haven't played away city yet

1 win 3 goals

Total 1 win 4 goals in 9 away games against top 6 sides

JohnnyKills

Oh, and Phil Jones.

Because we played fecking shite.

Also, since you asked, these are our results away from home against top teams (in league and FA Cup) since JM took over. Not including Arsenal as they're hardly a top team anymore.

0-0
0-4
0-1
1-2
0-0
0-0
0-1
0-2

But yeah, as you say it was a one-off wasn't it.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Because we played fecking shite.

Also, since you asked, these are our results away from home against top teams (in league and FA Cup) since JM took over. Not including Arsenal as they're hardly a top team anymore.

0-0
0-4
0-1
1-2
0-0
0-0
0-1
0-2

But yeah, as you say it was a one-off wasn't it.
How convenient. Their only home defeat in the league so far and even with that better home record than Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool.

redchamp

Sign of the times.

More broadly in the world, balanced views are lost - because people who have controversial or more extreme views are heard more and given more of a platform. Also, instant gratification / lack of patience reigns supreme in 2018. Makes sense it's found its way to football and our fanbase. We don't win? We're a rich man's Stoke, sack Mourinho, Lukaku is terrible, Pogba should stop worrying about haircuts!!!

MrPooni

This cretin perfectly encapsulates some of you lot after a loss.

JohnnyKills

How convenient. Their only home defeat in the league so far and even with that better home record than Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool.
Ok, include Arsenal if you want mate. One win in nine isn't much better than zero wins in eight, is it?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Oh, and Phil Jones.

This is nothing

Should have seen this place in the Summer when City signed Bernado Silva.

The toys were thrown from many prams then.

fergieisold

Oh, and Phil Jones.

I think the issue this time and the response is more warranted. It was certainly more worrying than just a bad day! It showed up our team and players as miles away from challenging for anything seriously - mainly due to their mentality.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Ok, include Arsenal if you want mate. One win in nine isn't much better than zero wins in eight, is it?
It isn't good, but if you want to point out something show the whole picture. Arsenal is an extremely difficult away fixture this season. Spurs were demolished there in the same way they did it to us on Wednesday.

Fuzzy Dunlop

I mean if Jose had won the battle against a monster club like Barcelona 11-12, when his time in charge (2 yrs) even shorter than Pep's (4 yrs), people must wonder why he just couldnt do it now, with his same old enemy, with the same time in charge? Angriness and pain are inevitable, cant blame anyone for having that thought and expressing it
As our old friend Heraclitus once said: "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."

Different teams, "different" managers, different times. The act of comparing the "today" with the "past" and ask why isn't history repeating itself exactly as before only brings pain and suffering. :)