Why the meltdowns and drama everytime we don't win?

Kapardin

There is no cause for alarm. But people are right to be concerned about two basic issues that have been plaguing us for 4 years now:

1) In some games, we turn up like a bunch of sleep-walkers unable to even string 2 passes together and get bullied. This happens sporadically and more so against the other Top 6 teams. We know we can do better than that.

2) We rarely seem able to overturn 2-0 or 3-0 deficits. Our heads drop when we trail.

I am a believer of Jose's methods, but these are areas in which he hasn't improved us and he needs to do so by next season.

JohnnyKills

It isn't good, but if you want to point out something show the whole picture. Arsenal is an extremely difficult away fixture this season. Spurs were demolished there in the same way they did it to us on Wednesday.
Tbf we were even battered at Arsenal. The fact that DDG was the main talking point for days after the game tells you all you need to know.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
As our old friend Heraclitus once said: "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."

Different teams, "different" managers, different times. The act of comparing the "today" with the "past" and ask why isn't history repeating itself exactly as before only brings pain and suffering. :)
Did Heraclitus prefer a flat back 4 or 3-5-2? And would he have gone for a right-foot, left-foot CB pairing?

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
There is no cause for alarm. But people are right to be concerned about two basic issues that have been plaguing us for 4 years now:

1) In some games, we turn up like a bunch of sleep-walkers unable to even string 2 passes together and get bullied. This happens sporadically and more so against the other Top 6 teams. We know we can do better than that.

2) We rarely seem able to overturn 2-0 or 3-0 deficits. Our heads drop when we trail.

I am a believer of Jose's methods, but these are areas in which he hasn't improved us and he needs to do so by next season.
I think people will always question his methods, especially when we plays without ball against top teams.

I don't like it but we need stability and Jose's transfers and methods at least bring some stability before we can kick on.

Loon

:lol:
I genuinely didn’t think we’d get a result at Spurs, but the performance was more annoying than the result.

Peanut Butter

Because we played fecking shite.

Also, since you asked, these are our results away from home against top teams (in league and FA Cup) since JM took over. Not including Arsenal as they're hardly a top team anymore.

0-0
0-4
0-1
1-2
0-0
0-0
0-1
0-2

But yeah, as you say it was a one-off wasn't it.
We're second in the league. You can throw all the toys out of the pram but thems the facts.

The amazing and incredible Spurs are fifth. FIFTH. And have won nowt in decades.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Tbf we were even battered at Arsenal. The fact that DDG was the main talking point for days after the game tells you all you need to know.
Going 2 goals up in minutes elicits a response from the home team as good as Arsenal. I would have said we battered them and then sat back waiting for a breakaway, which we got. It wasn't a battering. Spurs was. But they are a team capable of doing that to anyone and also losing to anyone away. I'm nit suggesting that we are anything to be proud of ...yet but we are one of three teams chasing shadows at the moment which puts it into perspective how good City have been

JohnnyKills

We're second in the league. You can throw all the toys out of the pram but thems the facts.

The amazing and incredible Spurs are fifth. FIFTH. And have won nowt in decades.
Who's throwing toys out of the pram?

This just smacks of childish name-calling because someone's put an argument forward that you can't counter.

Charlie Foley

Must have been given false information. Where aresenal in the top 6 when that match was played?
And it's been 9 away games. 1 win, 3 draws (Liverpool, City, Liverpool) 5 losses (Chelsea x 2, Spurs x 2, Arsenal).

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
De Gea is there for a reason and paid for the same reason such big wages. We were also much better in transition and created 4 clear cut chances. I thought despite all their shots we fully deserved that one.

But, essentially, I do agree with you. We have to do better in big games in the future, saying otherwise would be ignoring a problem when we talk about this team.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
It’s not to do with the fact we didn’t win it was the way we played. Most United fans can stomach a defeat when the team has given everything. But the fact that this team seemed to be utterly devoid of any ideas against spurs raises questions. Yep we might be second in the league but it’s worrying that with the obvious quality we have in the team there is no spark, no invention, no urgency.

unitedforeveral

Now, before I start. Last night was grim. Have a moan by all means, I wasn't impressed.

Tactics were wrong, system was wrong and the players couldn't be arsed.

Oh, and Phil Jones.

But some of us here take the moaning and dramas to a different level. It's pathetic.

We're second in the league behind a phenomenal Man City side. We had a fantastic January until last night.

In football, you lose matches and sometimes play badly. I personally feel we're about 'par' for where are right now. We've got some superb forward/attacking players, two immense midfielders and a world class GK.

We're still missing Bailly. Jones and Smalling will cause most managers anguish when a pumped up Spurs side are pressing you.

I'm not excusing last night - it was dross. But we've had matches like it under Fergie and we'll have matches like it again.

The way some on here behave though as if the end of the world is nigh. We lost a match. Move on.
The best way to forget these matches is to take a ride in the history lane. 8-2 drubbing of Arsenal, beating all our rivals time and again to prove our superiority. We will get back to the top soon. It's taking time!

JohnnyKills

I just did counter your argument. And I didn't call you any names.
Well if you accuse someone of throwing their toys out of the pram you're effectively calling them spoilt.

But anyway, you want to talk about the league table. Let's do that.

We're 15 points behind City, whose manager has been in the role the same amount of time as ours.

Despite buying Pogba, Mkhi, Ibra, Bailly, Lukaku and Matic, we're closer to sixth place than first.

If we drop into third place, what's your argument then?

JohnnyKills

De Gea is there for a reason and paid for the same reason such big wages. We were also much better in transition and created 4 clear cut chances. I thought despite all their shots we fully deserved that one.

But, essentially, I do agree with you. We have to do better in big games in the future, saying otherwise would be ignoring a problem when we talk about this team.
Fair points mate.

Djemba-Djemba

The meltdowns everytime we lose or draw are very annoying.

That said I thought Wednesday was particularly bad, probably the worst game I've seen us have since Jose took over although I didn't see Huddesrfield away.

el3mel

Yes, I'm gutted that Liverpool and Arsenal fans will be laughing. It keeps me awake at night.

How many trophies Gabe they won between them the last decade? :lol:

Aye. Thought so :) seriously? Grown folks worrying about what people on the internet think of them. Crazy
Who said I'm worried ? It's just not good enough for the sake of the forum IMO. Criticism is fair but people has gone so far this time. Nearly every player has been slaughtered to the point of labeling them not good enough, finished or we will never win the league with them. It's embarrassing.

Tapori

I do. But I had faith then that the manager would put things right.
If not Jose than who else?
Jose will get it right; you can see the progression we've made.
In 2 years time we'll be right back where we belong.
Strong finish this year, chance for a cheeky run at the CL and a good push for the FA Cup + smart business in the Summer and if we don't push on next season (irrespective of other teams), then I'll share your concerns.

arnie_ni

See update
So i checked myself:

Last season

2 0 ares
2 1 spurs
Nil nil city
Nil nil pool
4 nil chelsea

0 wins 1 goal

This season

Nil nil pool
1 0 Chelsea
1 3 us against ares
2 0 spurs

Haven't played away city yet

1 win 3 goals

Total 1 win 4 goals in 9 away games against top 6 sides
And it's been 9 away games. 1 win, 3 draws (Liverpool, City, Liverpool) 5 losses (Chelsea x 2, Spurs x 2, Arsenal).

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It's funny; the same people having a meltdown and trying to play a new save of football manager are the same ones that think Pochettino is an amazing manager, and players like Kane, Eriksen, Alli etc. are top class and/or world class players. Why are they having this reaction when losing to what they think is a top team? Is getting outplayed away from home to a top team some sort of full moon?

This was a repeat of the Chelsea game from last season. We conceded two early goals that should not have been conceded. We were the better team until the Phil Jones own goal, and got close to scoring a few times. Coming from 2-0 down is very difficult when Tottenham are on their game.

The_Order

One of the things I've noticed when we lose, is that people with agendas against certain players, get free reign to create utterly shit threads about said players, to try vindicate themselves and get others on-board.
I've noticed this as well.

Imagined waiting for your team to lose so you can satiate some kind of vendetta.

Stacks

Its probably because this team doesn't lose well. It may seem weird but you can lose with dignity, yet when we lose we look pathetic and barely put up a fight. When we lost at home to City last year, I walked away head held high as I felt we put in a solid show. Other than that and we look weak when we lose. Chelsea, Spurs(2), City, Huddesfield, probably City again when we go Etihad. Its like City defeat to Liverpool, was like our loss at OT, a bit more time and the result may have been flipped, which shows the loser were capable and dangerous. Pool fans of mine, praised their efforts at Anfield. I feel that you can almost sense games we will lose as we don't show much fight. We have the talent but not the attitude, which of course is very frustrating for a fan, when you don't do you best.

rocks13

I think the problem is that Mourinho is a manager who's all about results and unfortunately when the result goes against us all we're left with is 'shit on a stick' football.

Craig Bellendy

This is one of the reasons I got into Redcafe. It always used to be a good pick me up after a defeat.

I must admit though, over the last few years the reactions have gotten progressively more negative. So much hate towards the team and individual players sometimes.

I usually avoid it now after a defeat, at least until people's focus shifts to the next game.
Nope i still read em :) I'm fairly new here tbh so maybe after some time I'll begin to feel the same.

I can pretty much guarantee the drama queens on here are the same people that rage quit and send you a nasty message after being owned on fifa.

Receive hate mail daily ;)

engulfing

Because we are Manchester United, we are a big club and we expect to win every game we play. That's the standard we expect. Of course football is a bitch and you can lose for all kinds of reasons, but we always expect to win and to do otherwise is disappointing.

Frank Grimes

I think it's a lot to do with false dawns and fans thinking we've turned a corner. Then when we play so abjectly, as we did v Spurs and City, it shows how much work has yet to be done.

cyberman

There's a mini meltdown when we win as well.
Everything gets reset, multiple threads gets spammed with nonsense about attacking patterns or lambasting players because they're not Harry fecking Kane

SirAF

Ageist
There's a mini meltdown when we win as well.
Everything gets reset, multiple threads gets spammed with nonsense about attacking patterns or lambasting players because they're not Harry fecking Kane
This :lol:

SirAF

Ageist
I think the problem is that Mourinho is a manager who's all about results and unfortunately when the result goes against us all we're left with is 'shit on a stick' football.
Yes, but what use is «entertaining» football if you don’t win? It’s just as worthless.

SirAF

Ageist
I feel for you, if there's nothing more to the game for you other than winning.
Feel ahead, my friend.

I derive no pleasure at all from watching an entertaining match where United drop points.

In fact, that’s even worse!

Siorac

Feel ahead, my friend.

I derive no pleasure at all from watching an entertaining match where United drop points.

In fact, that’s even worse!
It's surely better than a shit match in which United drop points, isn't it?

SirAF

Ageist
It's surely better than a shit match in which United drop points, isn't it?
Not really, it would have been more infuriating to watch United play fantastic but still fail to win.. Either way, the outcome is the same.