Why the postponement?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
FA said at the start of the season all games will be played if the clubs have a covid outbreak, even if it means u23 or youth players having to play. City have 2 players test positive & the game is off? What’s up with that? Sounds like a ragspiracy to me.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
FA said at the start of the season all games will be played if the clubs have a covid outbreak, even if it means u23 or youth players having to play. City have 2 players test positive & the game is off? What’s up with that? Sounds like a ragspiracy to me.
It was 5 players and some coaching staff to be fair.

I can see why they'd want the rest tested before letting them play.

If the rest pass their tests then there's no reason in the world to postpone any future games though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They had 2 players test positive before the Boxing Day Game.

This sounds like quite a few more doesn't it?
It does bring the question of how many players allows a postponement though?

Everton would have rotated players though and have injuries so it doesn't look that clever a swerve if City were trying a fast one.

arthurka

If they have 16 players fit they should play, thought that was the line the FA went for.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Every manager register 25 players for competition. If you have 11 players to play then game must be played. I don't know why FA don't follow that

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Wondering if this might give City selection problems for the semi final?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think City should have “feck it I’ve had enough of this bullshit, I’m going for a pissup at my mate Everton’s house”

Okey

Precedent was set with the Newcastle vs Villa game wasn't it? I didn't agree with it then either. They're running their protocols so smoothly that Covid cases should be treated like injuries. You wouldn't postpone a game because 5 players are injured would you? Only slack I'm cutting them ia the nature of positive results might mean some time is needed to re-test everyone else.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Fa said that if you have 14 players INCLUDING u21 pros, you must play. And now they postpone this without even consulting Everton. This is unbelievable stuff.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wondering if this might give City selection problems for the semi final?
Depends if they follow the proper rules of 10 days isolating.
Bet they find a way of postponing it though. Now the final is in April they have an easy path to doing that.

Is Bernstein still involved with the FA?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Precedent was set with the Newcastle vs Villa game wasn't it? I didn't agree with it then either. They're running their protocols so smoothly that Covid cases should be treated like injuries. You wouldn't postpone a game because 5 players are injured would you? Only slack I'm cutting them ia the nature of positive results might mean some time is needed to re-test everyone else.
Why did it get called off so late is the big question?
4 hours before kick off!

Villa was at least known 3 days before.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
What if they played and then spread it to Everton players and officials who then play a few days later risking ‘bubbles’. They may be managing risk at a time where the NHS is announcing the highest number of patient levels.

Let’s see what details they provide, it must’ve been enough to justify postponing which isn’t that big a deal is it? There are lower league games postponed as well. They do need to make it clear so everyone can plan ahead better.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Depends if they follow the proper rules of 10 days isolating.
Bet they find a way of postponing it though. Now the final is in April they have an easy path to doing that.

Is Bernstein still involved with the FA?
Its going to be very difficult for us and City to find a suitable date for a rescheduling if we both get through our FA Cup and European rounds

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They had 2 players test positive before the Boxing Day Game.

This sounds like quite a few more doesn't it?
It does bring the question of how many players allows a postponement though?

Everton would have rotated players though and have injuries so it doesn't look that clever a swerve if City were trying a fast one.
Isn’t it supposed to be 15? I’m sure I saw that somewhere.

Okey

Why did it get called off so late is the big question?
4 hours before kick off!

Villa was at least known 3 days before.
Yeah that's definitely curious. Unless of course they get the results that close to kick off. Wasn't our pre season friendly called off for a result that arrived as they were on their way to the game? Can't remember clearly.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Its complete rubbish, the game should've gone ahead with city reserves/youth players.

Either that or they forfeit the game. Its giving them an advantage on other teams now as they can rest players throughout this busy period.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
If the virus has spread to a significant number of the squad and staff, then it should be postponed. This isn't a disease where we should be taking unnecessary risks over a game of football.

arthurka

I think it has everything to do with the rest results coming in late and wanting to be sure no one else is positive. But they should play tomorrow then if all is clear.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah that's definitely curious. Unless of course they get the results that close to kick off. Wasn't our pre season friendly called off for a result that arrived as they were on their way to the game? Can't remember clearly.
There's just some irony around the whole situation really.

Firstly you have Liverpool is the one city that is actually allowed fans.
And then you'd have had 2,000 fans turning up, only for them to be at more risk of getting covid from the players!

Big call for the FA to make for both City v Chelsea at the weekend and then our game.
I'm fairly confident our game will go on. Newcastle had a massive problem in their camp and only called one game off. So there's no chance City can get away with calling what would have been 3 games off by then. Unless this current situation is the tip of the ice berg and they're about to have 10-12 more players test positive imminently.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think it has everything to do with the rest results coming in late and wanting to be sure no one else is positive. But they should play tomorrow then if all is clear.
This is a scenario you can be certain won't happen.
They're already wondering about the weekend's game.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Rules must be the same for all. Fa new that this could happen so they made a rule about it. Why change it now? Now every club can ask for delay even if they have 2 or 3 players out

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rules must be the same for all. Fa new that this could happen so they made a rule about it. Why change it now? Now every club can ask for delay even if they have 2 or 3 players out
They had 2 players and 2 staff out for Boxing Day.

This is a whole heap on top of that.

Okey

There's just some irony around the whole situation really.

Firstly you have Liverpool is the one city that is actually allowed fans.
And then you'd have had 2,000 fans turning up, only for them to be at more risk of getting covid from the players!

Big call for the FA to make for both City v Chelsea at the weekend and then our game.
I'm fairly confident our game will go on. Newcastle had a massive problem in their camp and only called one game off. So there's no chance City can get away with calling what would have been 3 games off by then. Unless this current situation is the tip of the ice berg and they're about to have 10-12 more players test positive imminently.
Nah. I'm pretty sure it'll only be one game called off, like Newcastle. The postponement allows them repeat the tests and determine who's safe to stay in the playing squad. They'll likely be more than enough to constitute a match day squad. Shouldn't take more than 48 hours to clear up.

arthurka

This is a scenario you can be certain won't happen.
They're already wondering about the weekend's game.
I know it won't happen but why not? It's certainly better then to pile up later. Plus there are a lot of games tomorrow anyway.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Unless there’s a pre-agreed cut off point for how many players are out before a game is called off, they should get on with it. If you can field 11 fit players with a full quota of subs then the game should be played.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Everton confirmed that
Yeah, it's strange. But this season has been very strange on the whole. Not allowing the 5 subs, then voting on it at least once again, after the season has started. Allowing some teams to have supporters present and not others. The scheduling. And now this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know it won't happen but why not? It's certainly better then to pile up later. Plus there are a lot of games tomorrow anyway.
Because what happens between today and tomorrow?
They've called it off because of the amount testing positive rather than other test results not coming in, surely?

And even without fans (although Everton are allowed them), police would never allow a game to be re-arranged 1 day on.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The Christmas fixtures being so close together made something like this inevitable. They need time to determine whether there’s been further spread throughout the staff and squad.

This is the only sensible choice when the NHS is already being absolutely battered.

Okey

If it's sorted in the next 48 hours, they should be able to play this game this week. Citeh's next game is Sunday. Everton is Friday but then no game for 8 days after that. They can play Thursday and move Everton's next game to Sunday. The TV guys can go do one.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If it's sorted in the next 48 hours, they should be able to play this game this week. Citeh's next game is Sunday. Everton is Friday but then no game for 8 days after that. They can play Thursday and move Everton's next game to Sunday. The TV guys can go do one.
As if :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No doubt City will be fine and dandy ready for the Semi Final Tie having lots of rest... as their next few games will be postponed...
If the training facility is closed, they can’t train. Where do you propose they go if they have to isolate? It only takes a week to start to lose condition if you don’t train at all. Lots of rest does not mean ‘not training’ it only applies to the intensity of match play.

SuperiorXI

Throws a spanner in the works as far as fairness is concerned. How can it be right that the rest of the PL are put through a rigorous set of fixtures while City get the rest and postponement? Surely they have to offer the same to the other teams to make it fair.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If they are going to cancel games they need to be more transparent with everyone about how many cases there actually are and why the game was postponed due to the guidelines they had prior. You can’t just have a rule saying that 14 fit players is enough if City did have that and it was still postponed.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Silver lining here is that if our unimportant SF gets postponed, we can play Burnley and get that game on the board.