Why would Pogba want to leave United now?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Its on some media sites that Utd are going to offer £400k a week. Ridiculous if they do that. It will open the floodgates for rises.
Have a feeling it is more palatable to the club to overpay him than lose him for free. He is an £80m player even in this market.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I still hold out that Pogba is a very humble guy, liked by manager and players, but has the nasty "superagent' who is just wanting to milk every penny he can out of him.
Pogba's agent does what Pogba tells him to, not the other way around. If Pogba wasn't happy with Riola's approach he'd not employ him.

Pogba probably is a super nice guy but he works for Man United and knows they can well afford big, big wages.

dinostar77

Its on some media sites that Utd are going to offer £400k a week. Ridiculous if they do that. It will open the floodgates for rises.
He's got the club over a barell. Either he signs a new deal at stupid wages or he doesnt, stays put and leaves on a free next summer. How do you replace him and with whom? Who else can do those long field passes or switches of play? For all his faults (I'm in the camp that we should try to see him this summer), its cheaper to get him under a new contract and if he wants to leave next summer or summer after that then get full value for him.

wolvored

He's got the club over a barell. Either he signs a new deal at stupid wages or he doesnt, stays put and leaves on a free next summer. How do you replace him and with whom? Who else can do those long field passes or switches of play? For all his faults (I'm in the camp that we should try to see him this summer), its cheaper to get him under a new contract and if he wants to leave next summer or summer after that then get full value for him.
Well if it going to cost £104 million to keep him for 4 years and lets say someone would pay £30 million for him if we sell, that gives us £134 million to get another player and his wages. Grealish is worth £80 mill and if we paid him £250k a week to come we would be spending the same money, have a more consistant player and not have the grief he brings with his agent.
I know what I would sooner have.

cyril C

Well if it going to cost £104 million to keep him for 4 years and lets say someone would pay £30 million for him if we sell, that gives us £134 million to get another player and his wages. Grealish is worth £80 mill and if we paid him £250k a week to come we would be spending the same money, have a more consistant player and not have the grief he brings with his agent.
I won't say Grealish is a consistent player, because he has never been tested in a big team (compared with say KDB). Nor I would say Sancho will be a consistent (MU) player, because he has never been tested in EPL. We can only say Pogba has been inconsistent but a great player, if he showed up.

Knightmare7

Can we just sign him to a 3-4 year extension and then ship him out the first chance we get? Love him as a person, I think he's an amazing talent, but I'm not willing to sit through more years of him leaking to his agent that he wants a transfer. Sign him then ship him out when the market improves and watch his ass fly out the door because he thought he could hold United for ransom every time he was upset. If you don't want to play for a team, don't sign a long term contract (ahem, Harry Kane)

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I won't say Grealish is a consistent player, because he has never been tested in a big team (compared with say KDB). Nor I would say Sancho will be a consistent (MU) player, because he has never been tested in EPL. We can only say Pogba has been inconsistent but a great player, if he showed up.
Would you consider Pogba to be a luxury player then? One that throws in the occasional sublime performance or neat bit of skill? I struggle to see him as a game-changing player due to his severe lack of consistency.

CG1010

Pogba (and his agent) would definitely use the fact of only one year of contract left to demand a big pay hike from United or will likely move next year as a free agent and get a big signing bonus from his new club. Only card club have is to threaten to freeze him out for an year, which Ole may not do anyway and to me he seems to be a kind who wouldn't be affected much by it.

Given that his performances don't warrant a huge salary and there is no suitor willing to open big paycheques for him, the best option seems to be either do a swap with Varane or negotiate a 'healthy' signing bonus for him to extend the contract.

Red Royal

This just shows the absolute mismanagment that the club has done for years. Ole addressed some of it with shipping out Sanchez, and to a lesser extent Lukaku. Renewing Jones for so long was a clear feck up though.

No other club pays what we do in wages, hence we get nothing for player exits. The Lukaku deal was surprisingly good money for us (even though he has gone on to be a 'success).

I am a fan of Harry and AWB but clearly we overpaid.
Any other club would get £30M for Lingard we will struggle. Donny is being rumoured to go for as little as £25M.

Again, as good as a Pogba is, we need to just take the hit and over the next few years get away from the club that is constantly fleeced in the market.

izzydiggler

I can see him staying because the likes of Madrid don’t seem keen on throwing money at him. They’d take him but on half of what he is on at United - I see a straight choice of double the money to stay and then it’s an interesting decision.

dinostar77

Different types of players, grealish is great but isnt a pogba replacement. When it comes to quick transitions and a long pass to the forwards or into space, who can do that in the squad other than pogba? No one, certainly not grealish as great as he is.

Red Royal

Different types of players, grealish is great but isnt a pogba replacement. When it comes to quick transitions and a long pass to the forwards or into space, who can do that in the squad other than pogba? No one, certainly not grealish as great as he is.
Next best players at this are Bruno (but he is usually too far forward himself) and then Lindelov or McT - but nowhere near Pogba skill levels

el3mel

I can see him staying because the likes of Madrid don’t seem keen on throwing money at him. They’d take him but on half of what he is on at United - I see a straight choice of double the money to stay and then it’s an interesting decision.
If he leaves, pretty sure it'll be PSG at this point.

CaptainBirdseye

He'll go to whoever pays the highest once his contract runs down next year. Imagine the payout he's due to get from another club for coming as a free agent. Zero chance he renews imo.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Why on earth would he renew when he has wanted out of United for about 4 years?
on a free im sure a club like Real, PSG or Juve will take a chance on him. And both he and Raiola will be well compensated.
Shame he has rarely been motivated at United and we havent been good enough to interest him enough to put 100% in.

fps

Replace him with Tielemans! Perfect!

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Wouldn’t we all do what Pogba is doing if we were in his shoes? If I know I can get £400,000 a week when currently on £290,000 a week I would jump at the chance. Everyone looks after number one including me and you! Why is Pogba any different or why does he get vilified?

If your argument is that he doesn’t love United or isn’t loyal. In this day and age who is loyal?
Unless you grew up in Manchester and supported United why would anyone stay loyal?

He'sRaldo

If your argument is that he doesn’t love United or isn’t loyal. In this day and age who is loyal?
Unless you grew up in Manchester and supported United why would anyone stay loyal?
True, I remember especially Madrid's biggest stars doing this seemingly every year, and always with links to Utd.

In Pogba's case though, he may actually want to leave.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Wouldn’t we all do what Pogba is doing if we were in his shoes? If I know I can get £400,000 a week when currently on £290,000 a week I would jump at the chance. Everyone looks after number one including me and you! Why is Pogba any different or why does he get vilified?

What do United do as a club, or basically any club to earn or deserve the "loyalty" from players? I wonder. Do club show any loyalty to players as well when the players pass their best year with long contract, and not kick them out?

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
What do United do as a club, or basically any club to earn or deserve the "loyalty" from players? I wonder. Do club show any loyalty to players as well when the players pass their best year with long contract, and not kick them out?
So basically you are agreeing with me? I completely agree with what you’re saying about clubs having no loyalty to players as well. City being the perfect example. They want Laporte who everyone was raving about until Dias the new shiny toy showed up. Now Sterling and then Jesus. These are title winners and are getting binned by the club. Why should the players have loyalty?

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
True, I remember especially Madrid's biggest stars doing this seemingly every year, and always with links to Utd.

In Pogba's case though, he may actually want to leave.
Exactly. I don’t think he wants to leave. He just wants more money and rightly so.

pascell

I'm inclined to agree. They put a lid on it after Raiola's outburst before the CL game. Why else would they not have started contract talks by now, handing more and more leverage over?

Getting £40m+ this summer would be a good result rather than losing for free.
They might have for all we know, might just be going at a snails pace.

I can see Raiola and Pogba both being happy for him to leave for free next summer, means a higher signing on fee for them both.

Next summer is going to be a crazy market, Haaland cut price release clause, Pogba and Mbappe leaving for free. Wouldn't surprise me to see them all head to Real either.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
So basically you are agreeing with me? I completely agree with what you’re saying about clubs having no loyalty to players as well. City being the perfect example. They want Laporte who everyone was raving about until Dias the new shiny toy showed up. Now Sterling and then Jesus. These are title winners and are getting binned by the club. Why should the players have loyalty?
It is just a job, and everyone wants to get pay more. It is the norm now players will leave on a free to get bigger contract else where, and also the transfer fee rise to a level players can't switch job anymore. Depay's 2 year contract with Barca is a good indicator. The risk however is if the player suffer a long term injury, then he will be on his own.

cptkeane1993

Next best players at this are Bruno (but he is usually too far forward himself) and then Lindelov or McT - but nowhere near Pogba skill levels
In this case, can we move Bruno to a no. 8 with Grealish at no. 10. Alternatively, VDB at no.8 directly replacing Pogba

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
In this case, can we move Bruno to a no. 8 with Grealish at no. 10. Alternatively, VDB at no.8 directly replacing Pogba
From what I hear VDB is being sold and has no future with us, but with or without VDB I would be extremely happy if we sell Pogba and buy Grealish instead. Instant improvement.

cyril C

Would you consider Pogba to be a luxury player then? One that throws in the occasional sublime performance or neat bit of skill? I struggle to see him as a game-changing player due to his severe lack of consistency.
Yes I would agree with Luxury. In fact, worse than Lux, because start him u are damn, bench him u are also damn.

::sonny::

Free agent next year like Donnarumma, already decided fo that.

Players are not really owned by the clubs, they are only on rent for some year

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
A few Reasons why Pogba wants to leave United:

1. Signing on fee is bigger if he moves to anew club
2. Trophies
3. Potential increased wage if he threatens to leave
4. More income : less tax in Fance or was it Monaco only?
5. He doesn't like Manchester, or Manchester United

ATXRedDevil

They might have for all we know, might just be going at a snails pace.

I can see Raiola and Pogba both being happy for him to leave for free next summer, means a higher signing on fee for them both.

Next summer is going to be a crazy market, Haaland cut price release clause, Pogba and Mbappe leaving for free. Wouldn't surprise me to see them all head to Real either.
Sadly, I think you may be right.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He wants to win trophies and the story with us so far is that theres more of a likelihood we battle for top 4 than the league title. He's probably looking at the Kane saga as reference and seeing the most sensible thing would be not to extend. He unlike Kane has a good opportunity to leave to somewhere that can guarantee trophies more than us and he'd be stupid not to take that opportunity. If for example he renews next season and we are not close to the title then that renew will look stupid if he is truly ambitious about winning trophies. I'm sure wed go right back to hearing about a new challenge and how he should play for Bayern from his brothers

MUFC OK

He's not winning the PL/CL here in the next 3 years imo. At board level we aren't ambitious, we don't want to be the best and so we won't be. Year on year we do not address the deficiencies in our squad and so I can understand why, at 28 he would want to compete for the biggest trophies. There arent many better midfielders in the world, yet there are many better football teams than United.

lex talionis

Pogba does have to decide whether club management are finally serious about building a PL/CL contender. And if not, whether that matters to him; and if not whether hitting the wage jackpot, which at least United are still able to offer him, is king.

RuudTom83

United have backed themselves into a corner with this one...terrible planning again to let it get to the summer and not have him signed up.

With the Euro's happening in the summer United could have used that as leverage and simply stopped playing him in the first team until he signed or publicly asked to leave.

Jibbs

United should get rid of him asap. 50m should do it. Get Tielemans.