Why would Pogba want to leave United now?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
B and C are massive.

If I was a top talent reaching perhaps my last big contract. I'd be thinking how can I stack the odds in my favour to win some serious honours.

Continuing with an unproven manager and coaches who have spent 2.5 seasons to hit the dizzy heights of finishing in the same league position as the previous manager and somehow deluding the fanbase its progress... I'd bounce.

It would ultimately come down to does the ambition of the club match my talent.
All points are equally important. For example money is important for anyone especially for those who hire Mino as agent. Mino is an absolute just like Sir Alex Ferguson was. Players who joined Sir Alex's Manchester United knew that they couldn't settle for a comfortable life at mid table. The same can be said about players hiring Mino as agent. Players hire the guy because they want to make the most ££££ out of their career. Also note that players hate being accused of everything under the sun. It hurts their image and image means money, which in turn link to my first point. Thus it makes sense for Pogba to leave and go somewhere were he's appreciated and valued

If we don't get good money out of it then we would be losing the same WC player for free or on cheap TWICE only for us to probably spend some 60m on someone like Declan Rice. Let that sink in.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Reading Pogba's latest interview on Juventus, it's becoming clear that he wants to leave sooner than later.

I'm probably reading to much into the interview, but the way he spoke so highly of Juventus's training grounds left me with the impression that he's not that impressed with United's. (Rumours have been abound that it is not top quality tactics and training at United)

Yes he has an attitude, but at the end of the day I blame the Glazer's for purchasing a club they can't afford the upkeep on. United is no longer the big fish in the sea, and Pogba wants to win trophies.
The training ground work and tactics at Juve have clearly been well below that of United this past season.

They finished 4th in a one horse race (Maybe a tad harsh on Inter, but you get the point )

CG1010

There's at least 4 reasons why he should leave United

A- He would make huge money out of it
B- He could join a top club who can win important honours
C- He could join a properly run club whose got a real manager and top coaches. These people could get the best out of him in the same way Juventus and France did/does
D- He would leave a country where pundits basically blame him of everything.

It would be interested to see who will be the next scapegoat once the likes of Pogba and DDG leave to be replaced by the likes of Henderson, Trippier, Sancho and Rice
Tagline checks out. This narrative of United unable to get best out of Pogba based on handful of games is bullshit. Bruno basically completely killed this argument by coming to this same club and doing what Pogba was supposed to do. But since fans have memory of a goldfish this will go on until he moves to a new club and is again inconsistent across smaller games. And again debate over his best position will start no doubt.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Tagline checks out. This narrative of United unable to get best out of Pogba based on handful of games is bullshit. Bruno basically completely killed this argument by coming to this same club and doing what Pogba was supposed to do. But since fans have memory of a goldfish this will go on until he moves to a new club and is again inconsistent across smaller games. And again debate over his best position will start no doubt.
Pogba did very well everywhere he went apart from with us. Also let wait and see regarding Bruno. Similarly to the likes of Lukaku, AWB and Pogba he started very well only to start showing signs of decline later on

I am not saying Ole is unredeemable. He is an excellent man manager which is not something to minimise. However I strongly believe that tactically and coaching wise though we're weak

Last edited:

DavelinaJolie

Another Athletic article out, this time about why Pogba performs for France and not Utd.

Some key points are:
  • Family member (anonymous) says he needs "structure." Bad relationship with, and lack of clear instructions from Mourinho.
  • Gets on well with Ole.
  • Feels more pressure when playing for Utd, but felt happier in second half of last season.
  • May re-sign, though partly due to lack of offers.
  • Struggles against premier league teams more because they play deeper lines which cuts of space for him to pass into.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Another Athletic article out, this time about why Pogba performs for France and not Utd.

Some key points are:
  • Family member (anonymous) says he needs "structure." Bad relationship with, and lack of clear instructions from Mourinho.
  • Gets on well with Ole.
  • Feels more pressure when playing for Utd, but felt happier in second half of last season.
  • May re-sign, though partly due to lack of offers.
  • Struggles against premier league teams more because they play deeper lines which cuts of space for him to pass into.
Utterly pointless article. Outside of a few writers, The Athletic is pretty shite. All the Utd writers on there are so vanilla.

laughtersassassin

I really wonder how the club is planning on replacing him? Imo if he goes how we replace him will define our season.

I personally don't trust the club to do it and wouldn't be surprised if we have little to no plan at all.

To me we actually need to replace him with two players. A DM with very good passing ability and a more creative player like Grealish.

Unrealistic but it's what's needed

DULLAGHAN

I'm waiting for all the Pogba fan boys to explain how him having a stinker against Hungry is Ole and McFreds fault?

Undoubtedly quality at his best, but a f'n liability about 50% of the time. Hopefully PSG didn't watch that one.....

eire-red

Sometimes you watch him and wonder is he ever going to reach the level he can. This tournament should be a platform for him to dominate in that French squad, but again it's a real mixed bag.

I really don't know what we should do with Pogba. He's the type of player you want in your team, but you can't help but think we'd be so much better off with a player like Kroos who brings something so different, without the flair.

No matter where he plays, it seems like a square peg in a round hole.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

80m Euro doesn't seem that much.

Can see PSG paying it if true.
It wouldn't just be 80m though when taking into account fatman will be asking for 40m himself and whatever signing on fees Pogba asks for. That 80m suddenly turns into 140-150m when they could wait another season and save themselves 100m. It could happen if Mbappe goes to Madrid and PSG are looking for another French icon and even though they can well afford 100m is still a huge chuck of change.

It would be better for Pogba as well to wait. Instead of being paid 400m if he goes (supposedly) to PSG this summer that figure could almost double if he waits another season. Once again everthing rests on that cnut of an agent of his but we all know it's money that motivates him and not the welfare of his players.

48 hours

It wouldn't just be 80m though when taking into account fatman will be asking for 40m himself and whatever signing on fees Pogba asks for. That 80m suddenly turns into 140-150m when they could wait another season and save themselves 100m. It could happen if Mbappe goes to Madrid and PSG are looking for another French icon and even though they can well afford 100m is still a huge chuck of change.

It would be better for Pogba as well to wait. Instead of being paid 400m if he goes (supposedly) to PSG this summer that figure could almost double if he waits another season. Once again everthing rests on that cnut of an agent of his but we all know it's money that motivates him and not the welfare of his players.
It would be interesting to see how much they would save if he left for free. Agent Lard will increase his own commission demands if his contract runs down and will want a huge signing on fee for Pogba and a bigger wage if he signed for “free”. Didn’t Herrera get 300k a week for signing on a free for PSG?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It would be interesting to see how much they would save if he left for free. Agent Lard will increase his own commission demands if his contract runs down and will want a huge signing on fee for Pogba and a bigger wage if he signed for “free”. Didn’t Herrera get 300k a week for signing on a free for PSG?
Yeah it would definitely be better for all parties to wait another season. Win win for everybody except us. I still have a sneaky suspicion that everything depends on what Mbappe is going to do. If he stays then it could be Pogba runs down his contract but if Mbappe goes to Madrid then PSG would need a marque signing to appease the fans. Whether Pogba fits that bill I don't know but maybe he's the closest type of signing they could find.

All hypothetical of course.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can he play a full season as he just played the last half of the season just gone? If so, then I imagine by staying he puts himself in the very best position to maximise his contract wherever he ends up.

I just don't think he can.

He's not consistent enough and for all his moments of brilliance there are also 2 times as many moments of mediocrity. And then he has his disappearances or his never ending stream of injuries. If I was him, I'd be looking to move this summer on the back of a few good games for France against mainly mediocre opposition (I refuse to believe any national teams could regularly beat the top club teams). His value will be max this summer not next. For us, that means a fee instead of none.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
He has wanted out for 4 years now but has resigned himself to running his contract out.
Only way he stays is if noone wants him on a free and Im sure one of Juve Barca PSG or Real would take him with no transfer fee.
Crazy we didnt cash in 2 years ago

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm waiting for all the Pogba fan boys to explain how him having a stinker against Hungry is Ole and McFreds fault?

Undoubtedly quality at his best, but a f'n liability about 50% of the time. Hopefully PSG didn't watch that one.....
They have all now turned on to having a pop at Bruno now to try and deflect blame. They are absolutely shameless. Hahaha.

Bruno admittedly is having a poorish Euros so far but his contribution to United over the last 18 months is more than Pogba has done in 5 years.

He's also started something like 73 games in one calendar year for United n Portugal. He's knackered.

Abraxas

I do wonder if sometimes his performances for France are completely exaggerated. It's hard to say because I would imagine very few of us, including journalists watch all of France's matches in full.

The tendency is one of picking out a handful of fixtures and making sweeping conclusions. The thing to consider is even a tournament win is relatively short periods of form compared to a season. We already saw this characterisation of Pogba always being wonderful in blue when France put up a decent showing in the first game, yet when we see a lacklustre performance against Hungary that is somehow unlikely to alter the built up narrative - these become very difficult to shift.

Even during the WC win, I didn't see spectacular, he did well. He's had good phases for us too, let's not forget - is that really a pattern? There were ten other blokes in that team as well, it didn't have to be the Paul Pogba show just because they win.

Is there really evidence for such a definitive pattern as "he plays great for France and less so for United."? People are so reactionary and results dependent now that my suspicion is they won a WC so Pogba can have done nothing wrong, they won the first game in this so he's always fantastic for France. I've seen rubbish showings as well but they don't change anything do they?

Statistically there seems very little basis for the idea which makes me even more suspicious.

TrueRed79

Can't wait for the day when he is gone. Has there ever been a player at Utd that polarises opinion like he has. Bottom line is that he hasn't been a success here. It hasn't worked out and it's time to move on.

DULLAGHAN

They have all now turned on to having a pop at Bruno now to try and deflect blame. They are absolutely shameless. Hahaha.

Bruno admittedly is having a poorish Euros so far but his contribution to United over the last 18 months is more than Pogba has done in 5 years.

He's also started something like 73 games in one calendar year for United n Portugal. He's knackered.
Yeah Bruno badly needs rested, his form dropped off pretty badly for us towards the end of the season. Ole really needed to give him a rest and Donny needed minutes. Unfortunately the latter doesn't seem to have the managers trust.

CG1010

Pogba did very well everywhere he went apart from with us. Also let wait and see regarding Bruno. Similarly to the likes of Lukaku, AWB and Pogba he started very well only to start showing signs of decline later on

I am not saying Ole is unredeemable. He is an excellent man manager which is not something to minimise. However I strongly believe that tactically and coaching wise though we're weak
Bruno has far surpassed whatever Pogba has done with us. I also feel Ole is quite limited tactically, but not because he doesn't maximise Pogbas abilities. That's all down to the man not being able to focus and play consistently.

el3mel

If he doesn't extend we will sell this season if we end up dropping the price. We won't let him go on free, surely we aren't that stupid.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If he doesn't extend we will sell this season if we end up dropping the price. We won't let him go on free, surely we aren't that stupid.
It's always better to get something for a player than nothing at any other club but ours. United don't seem to know when to cut their loses and run, especially with Pogba. They'd rather keep an unhappy, unmotivated player another season if the asking price isn't met so I'm not fully in accordance with your last sentence.

Hazard went for £140m in his last year of his contract but that is just pure and simple stupidity. Spurs got £20m for Eriksen which Levy gladly took because it made no sense keeping him for another season if he really wanted to go. I can see us trying to play hardball which will backfire big time.

The only way I can see us getting a half decent fee for Pogba and if PSG are interested is if Mbappe goes to Madrid. Then we'll have something to play hardball with. Failing that I can't see us letting him go at a cut rate price.

Mwooyo

Bruno has far surpassed whatever Pogba has done with us. I also feel Ole is quite limited tactically, but not because he doesn't maximise Pogbas abilities. That's all down to the man not being able to focus and play consistently.
Everyone misses the point. Bruno has done his best work for united whenever pogba is also playing. Infact bruno goes into a slump whenever pogba is out for a lengthy time. There is no player who can carry manutd week in, week out for a whole season. People who blame pogba for showing up in bits dont understand this...he must be surrounded by good players. Pogba is an icing on the cake kind of player...you dont buy him and play him with mactominay/fred all season...and then expect miracles. Pogba delivers for france because he is surrounded by top quality players. Kante, Mbappe, ddembele, griezman...all top top players. If pogba fails, one of them steps up. Fergusson actually understood this principle...its why he bought nani, anderson, tevez to accompany ronaldo and Rooney. There is no top player who has carried manutd to a title single handedly besides eric cantona...and even eric had help

wolvored

Its on some media sites that Utd are going to offer £400k a week. Ridiculous if they do that. It will open the floodgates for rises.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Its on some media sites that Utd are going to offer £400k a week. Ridiculous if they do that. It will open the floodgates for rises.
400 is a lot but given the size of the club I guess we are always going to have a few players on crazy deals. The problem is do we get value for money? DDG, Sanchez, declining Rooney, Pogba? Our mega contract is almost the kiss of death at this point. I think I would still sign him up. You can’t just let a 90million pound player leave for free. I feel like PSG will always take him if we decide to part ways in the future. They’d probably have no problem matching the wages either.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I hope we are able to sell him this year.
I think we'll either offer him a nice juicy contract (more likely) or hell leave on a free. Don't see anyone signing him this summer sadly.

Jibbs

I think we'll either offer him a nice juicy contract (more likely) or hell leave on a free. Don't see anyone signing him this summer sadly.
Agree. May be PSG might be tempted to get both him and Varane this year before they become available for free and many more clubs can afford them both.

CG1010

400 is a lot but given the size of the club I guess we are always going to have a few players on crazy deals. The problem is do we get value for money? DDG, Sanchez, declining Rooney, Pogba? Our mega contract is almost the kiss of death at this point. I think I would still sign him up. You can’t just let a 90million pound player leave for free. I feel like PSG will always take him if we decide to part ways in the future. They’d probably have no problem matching the wages either.
I doubt very much because then Bruno, Rashford and Cavani will also ask for the same amount of money , with them arguably being more influential in the team than Pogba.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I doubt very much because then Bruno, Rashford and Cavani will also ask for the same amount of money , with them arguably being more influential in the team than Pogba.
Would be.interesting to see the fan reaction if Man United said "we've offered Paul a 4 year extension on the same salary (£250k or whatever it is) but he's rejected it and will leave at the end of his contract.

You fellas would go nuts, right?

CG1010

Would be.interesting to see the fan reaction if Man United said "we've offered Paul a 4 year extension on the same salary (£250k or whatever it is) but he's rejected it and will leave at the end of his contract.

You fellas would go nuts, right?
Overall for United fan base, I think the feelings towards him fluctuate as much as his performances. He goes hot and cold and so do we towards him. Personally, I would go nuts only to the extent that we didn't sell him this year and recoup some money but I won't mind him leaving especially if its over-unreasonable demands.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Overall for United fan base, I think the feelings towards him fluctuate as much as his performances. He goes hot and cold and so do we towards him. Personally, I would go nuts only to the extent that we didn't sell him this year and recoup some money but I won't mind him leaving especially if its over-unreasonable demands.
It's going to be difficult to sell him with less than a year on his contact. Yes Chelsea sold Hazard for a lot when he had less the same time left as Pogba but that was Pre Covid.

I think he'll stay and get a big pay rise.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

While he is a good player (although inconsistent) I would cash in this summer.
If he has a decent Euro we might get 40 Mio from PSG, Real or Juve.

I do not believe that any of those are a real improvement from a footballing perspective, but I am sure he wants to go to another league so as long as the transfer is done in a fair and straight forward way I am fine.

TrustInOle

Adding on another year of his wages also, just to lose him anyway. We should by now have a clear understanding of what he wants, if not then by the end of the Euro's, if he isn't signing we surely have to sell now, transfer fee + freeing his wages up for a year could be huge for recruitment. The opposite would mean we lose close to £80-100m.

RatPack

Sell him and sell him now. Getting 20 or 30 mil this year is better than nothing next year. He will most likely be injured half the year and the rest will be Riola running his big mounth. Offer him to Real with money in exchange for Varane.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm inclined to agree. They put a lid on it after Raiola's outburst before the CL game. Why else would they not have started contract talks by now, handing more and more leverage over?

Getting £40m+ this summer would be a good result rather than losing for free.

Red Royal

I would love for Pogba to extend his stay at United, as he has amazing skill and I think he was very good last year, and with a solid DM and CB pairing behind him could be even better.

However surely we cannot make the mistake of increasing his wages to an insanely high price (£400k per week??) for 5 years. That would be impossible to attract or retain other players without paying them at least overinflated wages. E.g is Bruno or Shaw going to be happy on a small fraction of those wages.

I still hold out that Pogba is a very humble guy, liked by manager and players, but has the nasty "superagent' who is just wanting to milk every penny he can out of him.