Why??

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
As much as I loved yesterday's result, getting one over on the dippers always feels good. But a large part of me is hacked off. WHY can't we put that effort in every week, instead of the strolling around the pitch not putting in the challenges.

United Hobbit

Agreed, if we revert to type next game....

Look what happens when you put a shift in and work hard!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I shagged Sydney Sweeney and Dua Lipa at once and my first thought was “why is Taylor Swift ignoring my calls?”

Jev

I don’t think a lack of effort has been our problem this season. Generally, I think the attitude and work ethic of the team is good. Our lack of consistency is down to risky/illogical tactics, a wobbly confidence and the fact that we just aren’t that great a side.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
As much as I loved yesterday's result, getting one over on the dippers always feels good. But a large part of me is hacked off. WHY can't we put that effort in every week, instead of the strolling around the pitch not putting in the challenges.
Agreed, if we revert to type next game....

Look what happens when you put a shift in and work hard!
But aren't a lot of matches like that? A relatively short period of high-intensity, proper football (sometimes maybe just a few minutes, but anyway) with mostly uninspired looking football for the rest of the game.

Yesterday's match added considerable madness to that, but that's more generally something you don't see often, and mostly just in high-importance or rivals matches - both of which were the case yesterday.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You're never going to get that same level of effort in every game, it's not sustainable and a lot is driven by the occasion. Of course it's easy to say "you should give your all" but it's not how it works. It's about playing as a team at a level high enough consistently, a lot of that is dependent on team organization, tactical systems etc to encourage consistency and remove/reduce the potential errors that can happen. There's high competition in the premier league, you can't simply work harder than your opposition, even if sometimes it may be enough.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because half of our team has been unavailable. We put in plenty of effort last season and had a good campaign, putting in a similar performance at OT against Pool too.

Laurencio

Let's buy some better players and be more sensible with tactics, and maybe we can.

Verward

If you have seen Liverpool play this season, they always give chances. We were good enough yesterday to put away those whereas other teams dont play as open as Liverpool so we find it hard to break them down.
Plus its one of the biggest rivalries, if this doesn't get players pumped up then I wonder what else would. So extra efforts were expected from them just like we put in great shift at Anfield to get a draw.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's a cup tie. You've absolutely nothing to lose by throwing the kitchen sink at them when you're losing and everything to gain.

That coupled with the fact it's Liverpool at home in a quarter final and the crowd are up for it, of course you're more able to bust a gut for as long as it takes. And Liverpool of course weren't. In extra time they were tired and in the bunker, and the buck toothed ballbag took his best player off after only 75 mins.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Is this not a thread about Keenan and Kel? Well that's disappointing.

Ultimately no two games are the same, though we should show it more then we do of course

tomaldinho1

Players could write the same about the atmosphere to be honest. It was electric before they even set foot on the pitch and they definitely responded to it. Whilst it’s easy to say ‘they should play at their maximum every game’, it’s much easier to run yourself into the ground when the crowd are up for a game and giving you energy.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The same tactical problems were there as all season. We are too open in the middle as we leave our players there with far too much ground to cover.

The main difference was we managed to keep ourselves in the game and then something broke our way which swung the momentum.

Also, our form in 2024 is 9W 1D 2L....we actually have been pretty consistent for nearly 3 months now. Especially for a team relying heavily on teenagers and a 21 year old striker. Our tactics just invite chaos and make it very hard for us to maintain pressure or any control. We've had four separate 4-3 games, a 3-3, a 4-2 a 3-2 comeback win. Multiple other games with last gasp winners one way or the other. The commitment isn't the issue otherwise we'd be losing games 2-0, 3-0 every other week.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I thought the same thing once we took the lead yesterday but part of me shouted that down so I could just enjoy it.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Noodlehair is pretty spot on. Can't get excited as it's unsustainable to be successful with this chaotic style of football.

Each match is like a game of basketball and we are just as likely to concede as we are to score which is unacceptable.

Even in our great wins this season, we've conceded goals and had no sustained period of control. This style of football brings no consistency. While we had to be delighted about yesterday, there's nothing I see that can bring success long term from a manager or tactical point of view.

We can get excited about some of our young players which is a huge positive.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I shagged Sydney Sweeney and Dua Lipa at once and my first thought was “why is Taylor Swift ignoring my calls?”
Taylor swift in this analogy would be like beating city right? People aren’t annoyed if we then get beat by city, they’re annoyed if we then get beat by wolves.

It’s more like, I shagged Sydney Sweeney and Dua Lipa but that 6 from the off-license is ignoring my calls

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yeah right, that’s got to be bullshit…Who’s Sydney Sweeney?
Had never heard of her until she drew record audiences on SNL a couple of weeks back.

How? Great rack, simples. Google her, well worth it.

Marcus

I think it is impossible to press and run yourself into the ground for the full 90 minutes unless you are Garnacho. You need to play as as team so that there are periods of control, recovery to catch your breath etc. Not sure we have enough of a system to do that instead of losing possession because of hurried loose balls. For an FA Cup tie, all out attack is always the way to go as there is no draw to secure.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I don’t think a lack of effort has been our problem this season. Generally, I think the attitude and work ethic of the team is good. Our lack of consistency is down to risky/illogical tactics, a wobbly confidence and the fact that we just aren’t that great a side.
I think this is a more reasonable assessment. More reasonable than just “maximum effort lads”. Fact is Liverpool should’ve put the game to bed long before we came back. The tactics were, and remain, baffling. We are asking our midfield to cover so much of the pitch. We don’t attack or defend as a unit. Which is just football 101 really. Liverpool were sloppy to be honest and in ET they looked knackered. That’s why we won. That and some spirit, granted. But still, on another day that was a hefty loss.

It reminds me of when we beat Chelsea at OT earlier in the season. People went all hyperbolic on it, but I said then that it was a shit performance, Chelsea missed a hatful of chances and we were lucky as feck. And lo and behold we got turned over in our next match. The same will happen again. This isn’t a turning point. Just look at how we play, we are wide open. The running in midfield to pull this hapless system off, means we can get about 30 good mins a game.

It’s why Lisandro Martinez is so important. Him and Shaw. Because he actually steps forward, aggressively from defence and closes that gap somewhat. Without him we play a 5-0-5 half the time. It’s embarrassing from the manager, school boy stuff.

thisisnottaken1

I think this is a more reasonable assessment. More reasonable than just “maximum effort lads”. Fact is Liverpool should’ve put the game to bed long before we came back. The tactics were, and remain, baffling. We are asking our midfield to cover so much of the pitch. We don’t attack or defend as a unit. Which is just football 101 really. Liverpool were sloppy to be honest and in ET they looked knackered. That’s why we won. That and some spirit, granted. But still, on another day that was a hefty loss.

It reminds me of when we beat Chelsea at OT earlier in the season. People went all hyperbolic on it, but I said then that it was a shit performance, Chelsea missed a hatful of chances and we were lucky as feck. And lo and behold we got turned over in our next match. The same will happen again. This isn’t a turning point. Just look at how we play, we are wide open. The running in midfield to pull this hapless system off, means we can get about 30 good mins a game.

It’s why Lisandro Martinez is so important. Him and Shaw. Because he actually steps forward, aggressively from defence and closes that gap somewhat. Without him we play a 5-0-5 half the time. It’s embarrassing from the manager, school boy stuff.
Exactly, I feel that we were lucky that Liverpool didn’t quite have their shooting boots on.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
How cool, we have a CAF member who can post whilst fast alseep having a wet dream

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I get the Dua Lipa bit, but Sydney Sweeney is a phenomenon that I’ll never understand. She looks like Alan Partridge.

Tarrou

well I agree completely but we're a broken club after years of mismanagement

this has happened repeatedly for over a decade and putting all the blame on one manager or certain players is a bit short-sighted in my opinion

it's gonna be a slow-rebuild to get the level we all crave off the back of a lot of hard work and good decisions

but feck me sideways, that felt fecking amazing!!!!

Pscholes18

Most likely they will come out against Brentford their normal shite selfs, Rashford will go missing since he gave a decent performance/goal against Pool. The usual rigamaroll <sp>. Unbelievable result yesterday but it still doesn't change the fact that Rashford and Bruno need to go as well as the usual suspects.

TwoSheds

Exactly, I feel that we were lucky that Liverpool didn’t quite have their shooting boots on.
We had way more good chances in the game than they did. Frankly they were lucky to get 3, particularly as their 2nd came after a very clear foul in the build up. McTominay should have put his 2nd sitter away and they might not have even come back into the game at all. Shite performance my arse.

thisisnottaken1

We had way more good chances in the game than they did. Frankly they were lucky to get 3, particularly as their 2nd came after a very clear foul in the build up. McTominay should have put his 2nd sitter away and they might not have even come back into the game at all. Shite performance my arse.
Good point. We did have plenty of chances as well. It was a lot better performance than most of our games, probably our best since the games against Aston Villa and West Ham.

TwoSheds

Good point. We did have plenty of chances as well. It was a lot better performance than most of our games, probably our best since the games against Aston Villa and West Ham.
For me it was the best of the season even though we let them back into it too easily. Liverpool weren't exactly full strength but they're still a formidable team, and we probably had more injuries to key players than them anyway, so to dominate for the majority of 120 mims was a superb effort.

thisisnottaken1

For me it was the best of the season even though we let them back into it too easily. Liverpool weren't exactly full strength but they're still a formidable team, and we probably had more injuries to key players than them anyway, so to dominate for the majority of 120 mims was a superb effort.
Absolutely. In my opinion it gives ten Hag a lot more credit, although I’d still prefer for him to be replaced.

Fluctuation0161

OPTIMIST: Maybe the changes at the top of the club are filtering through to the players. A feeling of purpose, competition and direction can increase output.

PESSIMIST: We've become a bunch of game raising cnuts.