Why??

Longshanks

As much as I loved yesterday's result, getting one over on the dippers always feels good. But a large part of me is hacked off. WHY can't we put that effort in every week, instead of the strolling around the pitch not putting in the challenges.
Did you miss minutes 30-75 where it was basically business as usual and the players were 'strolling'. The fast start under ETH is pretty common some teams particularly if they are more expansive and leave space struggle with our constant attempts at wide overloads. But as soon as our intensity levels drop and we start struggling to cover the expansive gaps our system leaves in midfield we're in trouble.

The biggest difference to normal on Sunday was the formation/system change at the end often game, Not something iv seen from ETH before the early subs have given us some more legs but when we changed shape and diallo came on we suddenly had more players in central positions the gaps in midfield were much smaller and plugged and we had much more control because of it. The players as a result seemed to be putting more effort in but it was just that they had less to cover.

RedRocket08

Did you miss minutes 30-75 where it was basically business as usual and the players were 'strolling'. The fast start under ETH is pretty common some teams particularly if they are more expansive and leave space struggle with our constant attempts at wide overloads. But as soon as our intensity levels drop and we start struggling to cover the expansive gaps our system leaves in midfield we're in trouble.

The biggest difference to normal on Sunday was the formation/system change at the end often game, Not something iv seen from ETH before the early subs have given us some more legs but when we changed shape and diallo came on we suddenly had more players in central positions the gaps in midfield were much smaller and plugged and we had much more control because of it. The players as a result seemed to be putting more effort in but it was just that they had less to cover.
The 30 minutes or so where we went missing in the 2nd half was really weird, especially as we turned it up at the end, and not just the subs - that’s a mental thing I feel.

We either play a high block or revert to a very low block as well - partly due to the fact that the quality we have can’t sustain a high block, I think when we get to that point where we can sustain a high block effectively, we’ll play more efficiently without looking gassed all the time.

Coops73

Had never heard of her until she drew record audiences on SNL a couple of weeks back.

How? Great rack, simples. Google her, well worth it.
Oh ok fair enough, I thought it was a copper from the flying squad. You’re nicked, you slag!

flameinthesun

The team is incomplete, even when everyone is fit. From a pressing perspective Rashford is a huge weakness to our press which means it cannot be as effective as it should be. Behind them when Martinez doesn't play and the press is beaten none of the other CBs are comfortable/capable of pushing up aggressively. Add another aggressive/fast CB next to Martinez and we should be able to close that space between the defence and front line when pressing.

Alongside the above, when there are periods where we need to retain the ball and are being pressed we simply still have key players in the team who are not comfortable receiving and retaining the ball under pressure. Most notably Varane and Casemiro who form the core of the team. Its no surprise we cannot build up from the back with those two in the team. Same goes when we have to sub in Mctominay into the team.

The way we set up is not too dissimilar to the tactics EtH used at Ajax. We just simply don't have enough suitable ball/pressing players in key positions. I believe with a good transfer window bringing in a ball playing CDM, ball playing RCB and realistically another Leftback or winger that we will take a huge step up.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I don't think Sunday was massively far off from what we'd previously seen this season, bar the opening 35 mins which was some of the best stuff we've played.

On another day Liverpool see that game off in the second half or we have a few deflections go our way and we hold on. Fine margins.

But we were equal parts good and bad on the weekend, we rode our luck and the cup rewarded us.

Lentwood

Liverpool set-up to win the game though - most opponents coming to Old Trafford, even now, don't do that.

We all know we struggle massively against low-blocks because we lack the quality to break teams down and we inevitably end-up conceding goals on the counter attack.

Longshanks

The 30 minutes or so where we went missing in the 2nd half was really weird, especially as we turned it up at the end, and not just the subs - that’s a mental thing I feel.

We either play a high block or revert to a very low block as well - partly due to the fact that the quality we have can’t sustain a high block, I think when we get to that point where we can sustain a high block effectively, we’ll play more efficiently without looking gassed all the time.
Me feeling was at the time in the second half it was a game management thing. Some players maybe blowing at half time, maybe some carrying knocks, Numerous players were making there returns from injuries, bench was a little bare of fitness aswell particularly in defensive areas. It may of been a ploy to sit in and stay in the game early second half than make the subs and go for it. Liverpool had plenty of ball early second half but didn't create an awful lot from it. It was only when we opened the game up that chances starting coming for both sides.

So not necessarily a mental weakness more of a deliberate ploy. Certainly looked that way to me.