Gaming Wii-U

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/11/07/wii-u-unboxing

Wii U has arrived in the IGN offices. We'll break down what you can expect in the coming days and weeks (for example, expect a full unboxing tomorrow, November 7 at 10am PT), but many have asked us for our thoughts on Miiverse and the console's online experience. We can't tell you about those for one simple reason - the system needs an update to add that functionality. And so will you when the console launches in less than two weeks.

We don't know much more about this update, only that it will add Miiverse, Wii U Chat (the system's 'real time communication' application), Nintendo TVii and the system's eShop. We are supposed to get access to these programs shortly before the system's launch through an upcoming system update - the same update Wii U owners will have to install in order to gain access to these features as well.

We'll update you with more as we learn it - both in terms of the process needed to add these new programs, and details on their functionality as well.

Member 39557

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/07/i-spent-the-night-with-wii-u

There's nothing quite like your first night with a new console. Learning its nuances, acquainting yourself with the feel and weight of the new controller, setting up your profile and browsing through all the menus and apps like a greedy kid in a candy store, claiming each inch and every revelation as your own. It’s a feeling that comes but once every few years, and one I honestly didn’t think I’d experience with Wii U.

Yet as I cozied up with the shiny, black Deluxe Wii U that arrived in our office yesterday, I was surprised to find these feelings flooding through me. Despite the fact that I’ve been covering the Wii U since its announcement at E3 2011 - and have intermittently played several of the launch games at various points during their development cycle - I was still taken aback by having the system so fully in my possession for the very first time. There was no chain tethering the GamePad to the television, no crowd of impatient gamers lined up behind me, and best of all, no Wii U spokes-blonde telling me how to hold a controller like this is my first rodeo. Last night the Wii U was all mine, and for all the preview events, hands-on opportunities and early access I’ve been granted thanks to my mildly insane occupation, I wasn’t expecting what I found.

It turns out Wii U isn’t simply the over-glorified Wii accessory some cynical part of my subconscious had pre-emptively chalked it up to be. It’s the future - of Nintendo, and quite possibly of my beloved hobby as well. And while I’ve only had a taste, I was pleasantly surprised by our time together. Below you’ll find some of my initial thoughts - though keep in mind my hands are still tied in regards to certain aspects of the system and its launch software (so you’ll just have to stay tuned to IGN in the coming weeks if you want to know everything… and trust me, you do).

The Lure of Tablet Gaming

Its name invokes a blast from Nintendo’s past, yet the Wii U GamePad is anything but a relic. While good in theory, in practice using the tablet controller to so directly interact with the television screen is something of a revolution. With a tap of my finger I was selecting attractions to play in Nintendo Land, interacting with the crowd of Miis that invaded the Land plaza and scrolling my way around the various menus with ease. It feels so different from using a traditional controller or even a Wii remote to interact with the television, directly connecting you to what you're touching rather than necessarily keeping you at a distance. It’s not like Kinect either, where there’s a sort of gray area between what you do in real life and what happens onscreen. Using the GamePad was so immediate, and so damn convenient, it made me momentarily forget my take-no-prisoners stance on the necessity of buttons (just momentarily).

Since Wii U’s day one update is not yet available, even to the press, a host of features still remain somewhat shrouded in mystery. I’m still largely in the dark in regards to Miiverse and online connectivity, and the latter prevented me from checking out Nintendo TVii, one of the features I’m most looking forward to. Still, simply exploring this new method of game and television control was just enough to exemplify the new system’s potential. After a night of dedicated gaming, I found myself impressed by the GamePad’s ease of use, as well as by the simple yet sharp graphics presented by New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land.

Say Goodbye to Universal Remotes

Another thing of note from my Wii U play time was how shockingly easy setting up the GamePad for television control is… and how very badly it made me wish I could play my Blu-ray collection on this thing. While I can't yet detail the process, suffice to say that both times I paired the system with a television (at work and then again at home), it was quick and incredibly simple. As many of us know, setting up a universal remote is usually a nightmare of inputting long codes until you finally stumble upon the one that works. With Wii U, all you have to do is select your box’s manufacturer (which is likely emblazoned just under the screen) and the system will automatically do the rest. Both times I’ve gone through this process, the Wii U synced perfectly with my television on the first try, and within a matter of seconds. After just a few moments and a few taps, I was able to adjust the volume and channels and change the input right from my GamePad, as well as power on and off both the system and my television. I very much enjoyed using the tablet controller in this way, more so than I thought I would. Who thought upping the volume on your TV could be so exciting?

It’s a small detail, to be sure, but the fact that Wii U now offers the most seamless and convenient way to control a television is still to its credit. Just be aware of the fact that the GamePad seems to have some "people issues." Specifically, I found it had trouble connecting with the system when buried behind my folded legs as I sat on the couch, or when hidden behind Brian Altano a few desks away. It’s a controller, in other words, and not a new portable to go slinging around the house. Nintendo President Satoru Iwata gave us some insight into the GamePad's range last month, and his conclusion that it depends on your apartment/house layout seems quite true. But given a reasonably clear path, the lag-free, dual screen connectivity it provides is an absolute joy - though you might want to put any lingering plans of playing Mario out on the patio to bed.

Two Screens Are Better Than One

Speaking of dual screens, herein lies Wii U’s greatest draw - and it should come as no surprise. After all, the concept of dual screen gaming was first introduced and perfected by Nintendo with its DS and 3DS lines of portable systems, and the concept is alive and well with Wii U. But despite the similarities, playing with the GamePad feels very different than cuddling up with a 3DS.

We’ve already seen the GamePad’s touchscreen used for fairly standard DS/3DS fare like interactive maps and inventory, and hopefully third party developers will figure out the wide range of other cool and creative uses for the additional screen as well. But maps aside, for the most part the dual screen implementation offered by Wii U is quite distinct. The way the system blends the scope of console gaming with the convenience of dual screens makes for something entirely new. It allows for the personal experience of interacting with something in the palm of your hand without compromising the ability to enjoy a console experience on the big screen. As an ardent supporter of portable gaming, blending these two worlds is a tantalizing prospect, and from what I’ve seen it’s one Nintendo certainly delivers on.
nlandmariochasescrn01wpjpg

Welcome to a whole new world of gameplay possibilities.

Take Nintendo Land, for example. Moving the GamePad to examine your Land plaza is at first jolting, but once you get the hang of it it’s actually really cool. In the plaza, and during some of the games, what you see on the GamePad is essentially what other people in the room see on the big screen, whether you’re twisting the controller horizontally to examine some new plaza decoration or spinning it around like mad to make everyone’s head swim. The result is a uniquely contrasting experience that brings everyone in the room together while at the same time creating a necessary separation between what the GamePad user is experiencing and what everyone else is. It’s something that’s never really been done before, and the possibilities in regards to gaming and user interface are promising. The two separate vantage points offered by the television and the GamePad also opens the door for all manner of multiplayer experiments, which seems to be the driving idea behind this Deluxe pack-in.

The level of creativity and polish conveyed by Wii U’s various features and software offerings do well to show off Nintendo’s years of experience in developing for dual screens, though games like Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U present more than their fair share of fresh ideas - and I’m only just getting started on both of them. While the concept of dual screen gaming isn’t new, it’s never been done quite like this.

These are just a few of my initial thoughts on Wii U. Pending that forthcoming software update, I’ll know more about Miiverse, Nintendo TVii, and the system’s online capabilities soon. But for now, I’m sufficiently teased by what I’ve seen. Despite my initial concerns, Wii U is very much its own system. It’s very much a step forward for the company, and unless I’m mistaken or something goes seriously wrong, for the industry as well. Needless to say, I’m quite excited to pick up my own Deluxe Wii U on November 18, and can already foresee many sleepless night at the mercy of my entertainment center’s new centerpiece.

kps88

I was certain this was going to be the first Nintendo console I wouldn't buy at launch but I'm getting seriously tempted by Super Mario Bros U from what I've been reading. Can't afford it at the moment.

If the reviews turn out to the overwhelmingly positive I might just be an idiot and spunk the cash.

Havak

Pokemon master
Definitely picking one of these up at launch. Going for the premium bundle with ZombiU and New Super Mario Bros. U for about £360 (unless my work gets them in then I'll just buy a discounted one instead and cancel my pre-order). I've just cancelled my Virgin Media subscription, so I've been thinking of getting Netflix - Wii U will probably be the thing I use that on as well from the looks of things.

Despite the launch line-up being strong from my point of view (I didn't get an Xbox 360 or Playstation 3), I still doubt I'll buy any other games until March, when Monster Hunter will be released. I was tempted by Fifa 13 as I'm sure it'll 'look' the best, but with no Ultimate Team or First Touch Control, I think it's a better idea to wait for Fifa 14 as it'll probably be the first time in I don't know how many years that Nintendo's Fifa game offers everything the other consoles do.. But probably even more with the likes of touch screen controls as well.

I really think (and hope) that this console is going to be the future of gaming, can't wait to pick mine up on the 30th :)

Member 39557

I'm not buying one, it's a turd, again. A few stellar 1st party titles and the rest (3rd party titles) will end up a bag of shite when they abandon it come this time next year.
I'll reserve judgement until we see how innovative they get with the 2nd screen. I like the idea of some of the multiplayer games, where the person with the tablet has a different view than the other players with wiimotes. I think this could be a very good social gaming system.

As you say though, I'm not sure how much effort the 3rd parties will put into it once the initial buzz dies down.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Since the 3rd parties are now largely all sewn up by publishers and publishers will support this, it's much like the argument made over the Wii, and the Gamecube and the N64. As always, buy the machine for the games, if there's not much for it you fancy don't get it. I won't be at launch, but no doubt I'll own one soon enough, I always do (apart from the Vita, now that's a turd!).

Oh and ignore Weaste, he only likes shiny things ;)

Member 39557

Since the 3rd parties are now largely all sewn up by publishers and publishers will support this, it's much like the argument made over the Wii, and the Gamecube and the N64. As always, buy the machine for the games, if there's not much for it you fancy don't get it. I won't be at launch, but no doubt I'll own one soon enough, I always do (apart from the Vita, now that's a turd!).

Oh and ignore Weaste, he only likes shiny things ;)
I don't doubt they'll support it. I'm more worried about most of the support being the PS3/XBOX version of a game with tacked on 2nd screen functions. A bit like when the Wii got PS2 ports with tacked on waggle controls!

Minimal effort for maximum profit.

Redlambs

I don't doubt they'll support it. I'm more worried about most of the support being the PS3/XBOX version of a game with tacked on 2nd screen functions. A bit like when the Wii got PS2 ports with tacked on waggle controls!

Minimal effort for maximum profit.
And you'd be right to worry. No doubt, as usual, only Nintendo will actually make full use of it. I'm comfortable waiting to see, though I will own one at some point, I'm in no hurry.

Member 39557

And you'd be right to worry. No doubt, as usual, only Nintendo will actually make full use of it. I'm comfortable waiting to see, though I will own one at some point, I'm in no hurry.
I probably will too. I'll wait for the price drop though, like I did with the PS3.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I'm not buying one, it's a turd, again. A few stellar 1st party titles and the rest (3rd party titles) will end up a bag of shite when they abandon it come this time next year.
Like the move and soon to be vita. Except neither had any stellar titles.

Redlambs

Look at the size of it. It's gimped to feck! It's not much bigger than a Wii. Can't wait to see the motherboard, got any shots of it?
Do we really have to go through this all again? You say it's shit, I point out that as always Sony will end up copying it. You produce some shit youtube video that claims Sony invented it back in 1950, and I make a joke about you being born then. Then you'll claim it won't sell, lack of third party support, no power, blah blah blah, and five years down the line it'll be outselling the rivals still and you'll still be in denial.

Can't we just skip to the part where I'm ultimately right, and you are banging on about the latest Sony handheld that is the best thing ever whilst being about as useful as a house brick (not to mention resembling and weighing as much as one)?

Redlambs

It's gimped and overpriced as a piece of hardware. Again!
What's the alternative? Make a super powerful machine that you have to take a hit on, lose money and have to sack a load of British staff?

And when you see how much Apple sell shit like the iPad for, and Sony hardware like the Vita, then I don't see how the price point on the Wii-U is bad. Plus, do you know the hardware inside the control, or what is in the actual machine anyway?

WeasteDevil

More or less, yeah.

They are making the same mistake again. As soon as the next XB and PS land, the thing will be deserted once more, and it's not because of general market conditions and competition from other devices either, it's because it will not be possible to simply port games down. The Microsoft and Sony consoles will again take 66%+ of the market.

Havak

Pokemon master
The technology in the controller is more advanced than most people think (or believe). I think that's where the price comes from in comparison to the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 releases. The 360 and PS3 were £300+ on release (maybe more like £280 for the 20gb Xbox).

I know it's about six years down the line, but Nintendo's basic package for the Wii U is more like £250-60, which is cheaper than the consoles it's supposed to be better than were at release (and well, as far as power and technology goes other than being able to play Blu-Rays, it is better even if not by as much as tech experts would expect). I think the technology in the GamePad makes up the cost with no Blu-Ray player. The PS3 is value for money but I don't think Nintendo are overcharging us that much for this machine at all.

I know you'll be looking at the premium bundle only because that's more like £300-330 - but for all the extras you get as well as a full retail game this time (rather than a preview game like Wii Sports and in certain bundles an additional standard controller) I think that's pretty decent in comparison to the launch of the PS3 and Xbox 360.

I will admit Nintendo probably are overhcarging, but I think Microsoft are even more guilty for that. The only reason you can't criticise Sony that much is because they stuck a Blu-Ray player in it. But considering it's Sony, I think they're just fecking off that add-on now and not even taking it into account when selling machines, because customers often don't give a shit either. With the likes of Netflix and other ways to download HD movies, I don't see the point in even owning a Blu-Ray or DVD player anymore...

The GamePad controller for Wii U will probably retail at around £100-150, so if we took that out of the equation and imagined that it only uses a standard controller, you're looking at more like a £100-150 machine as well... Half the price of an Xbox 360 at release for something that is better even if we're six years down the line. I bet six years down the line again the Wii U would be cheaper than your general Xbox 360 and PS3 are after that length of time.

Some people are far too critical of Nintendo sometimes. I can't see much of a point in Nintendo just deciding the make their console exactly the same as their rivals every time but having better exclusives. That may not make sense to some people as that would probably mean Nintendo should win every time, but as you can see in the past with the Gamecube and Nintendo 64, it just doesn't work like that. Even with exclusive titles (for a while) like Resident Evil 4, an amazing game, the Gamecube still sold the least. The chavs will always buy the Xbox or Playstation just because, and with the majority of the population being those kinds of people, Nintendo has to find other means of attracting customers and developers as they're going to be shafted by the third party no matter what.

People are writing off the GamePad very early - but I think it'll quickly become the next development in gaming and something that is always used from now on (maybe not in every game ever made, but on pretty much every console as an option). Basically everything other than the Eye Toy style of gaming has been brought into the fray by Nintendo and that is something that will probably always continue (and why Nintendo seemingly release their consoles first).

I know Sony fanboys will rip into this, but they're just being ignorant IMO. I just can't see much of an argument. The mighty powerful PS3 got outsold by over 30% by a white box with sticks you wave about like a knob-head. Now Nintendo actually add HD, more power, a new innovation that looks like the future industry standard and seemingly more third party support than before (for now) and people will still find things to bitch about.. For a new console, it's very affordable. The Playstation Vita cost about as much as this thing for fecks sake. Now THAT is a joke.

WeasteDevil

The technology in the controller is more advanced than most people think (or believe).
It really isn't. It's basically a relatively small (and low-res) non-capacitive touch screen, a few buttons, some wireless stuff, a screen buffer, and a small DSP type chip for the decompression of images sent from the console.

WeasteDevil

I know Sony fanboys will rip into this, but they're just being ignorant IMO.
Why would they? Some of them have been using the remote play feature between PSP and PS3 for a very long time. It was never standard however, and was underused, but Wii-U isn't doing much that different. I can use my VITA as a PS3 controller. Microsoft have the Smartglass stuff.

Redlambs

Why do you hate Nintendo so much Weaste? I think that's the route we should go down, because arguing with you is like talking to a parrot sometimes.

So what is it? Did Mario saville you up or something? Did Princess spurn your geeky advances? Or did you put that brick Vita thing up too high and it fall on your head sticking you in a brain loop?

Havak

Pokemon master
I've never played a PS3 with the Vita as a controller, but I'd be amazed if it can work like the GamePad. The latency on the controller is just 1/60 of a second, you'll notice no difference when playing the games and watching both screens. The way the Wii U compresses the data being transmitted is something else (apparently). It's a lot more than 'just having a screen on your controller' like using a Vita as a pad. I think once we've learned more everyone will release it's actually not even comparable (Vita to GamePad).

Havak

Pokemon master
Why do you hate Nintendo so much Weaste?
My guess would be not liking the Nintendo exclusive games, which is fair enough. Any other reasons can generally be argued for and against for every console. Third party support is the one major factor, but that's all opinion based like everything else. I've just had the Wii this generation and can honestly say there hasn't been a game released on another console that made me want to buy it. I've wanted a football game but I could go without Fifa for a while as even when they do add more to it, it's the same old shite. But now I can buy it on Wii U anyway (even though I'm gonna wait for 2014's).

Redlambs

My guess would be not liking the Nintendo exclusive games, which is fair enough. Any other reasons can generally be argued for and against for every console. Third party support is the one major factor, but that's all opinion based like everything else. I've just had the Wii this generation and can honestly say there hasn't been a game released on another console that made me want to buy it. I've wanted a football game but I could go without Fifa for a while as even when they do add more to it, it's the same old shite. But now I can buy it on Wii U anyway (even though I'm gonna wait for 2014's).
Err, gotta be honest with you I wasn't expecting a serious answer to that post :lol:

Havak

Pokemon master
I know you were joking but the question was still a valid one :lol:

The Wii has (as far as I can remember) outsold the 360 by around 24million units and the PS3 by about 30million. But collectively the 360 and PS3 have outsold the Wii. I don't know why Weaste was seemingly combining the sales of those two in comparison with Nintendo... Because they're probably more directly in competition with themselves than they are with Nintendo :lol:

Havak

Pokemon master
In the end it won't. You forget, Wii is dead, the other two are not.
I can't see the final... two or so years I guess of sales for those two consoles being over 30million when in six-seven years they've only sold 60-70million... But we'll see.

I reckon with the Wii going down to less than £100 though a lot of people who never got one will pick one up now. The Wii will still sell a lot for a little while longer. It also depends on how many people jump ship to Nintendo instead of buying a machine that could well be the weaker one for a few years.

Admittedly there won't be as much in it, but I wouldn't bet on either of them outselling the Wii in the end.

WeasteDevil

I can't see the final... two or so years I guess of sales for those two consoles being over 30million when in six-seven years they've only sold 60-70million... But we'll see.
It's called price! PS3 is only just hitting a mass-market price point.

Have a guess how many PS2s have been sold since the XB360 was released? Go on, have a stab at it........

Havak

Pokemon master
I know the PS2 is still selling well in Japan at least, which is one reason why it's still ahead of the Nintendo DS in all-time console sales. The figure will be higher than people expect so I'm not even going to guess it. But I think the Wii price drops will be enough to keep it ahead of its 'competitors', despite the release of their next console and the price drops of the PS3 and 360. The Wii might even outsell the Wii U for a couple of months during the release window.

Redlambs

I don't hate the old Nintendo at all, and as a software company I think they are great. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the toy that is the Wii that was bought by thousands upon thousands of OAP homes around the world.
Sony are a bigger rip off, look at the Vita. But I'm so glad you enjoy the toy that is the Vita that was bought by tens and tens of OAP's like you around the world.

;)