Gaming Wii-U

WeasteDevil

Interesting. I was actually in London talking to a couple of guys from down the surrey way (I'm not naming companies) who haven't had first hand experience with the system, but who obviously do know their company is keeping an eye on it. Nothing really technical, but word around the campfire is there's no problem with memory and memory access, the GPU is pretty hot, but obviously there is a major problem with the raw grunt of the CPU.

Obviously we all thought this meant it's less about what the machine can do when optimised, but more about the speed of getting anything to work on the bloody thing. They reckon it's the same route as the PS3, where it can run anything but needs separate versions of the engines to actually make anything work, but unlike the PS3 the raw grunt just isn't there to even do semi-decent ports. Nothing new to what we know, of course, but it is a bit of a ball drop from Nintendo, unless it sells shedloads next year to convince publishers it's worth it. Basically as you and I have been suggesting all along, it's capable of producing images slightly better than the current gen, but devs are fecked with anything even close to needing much from the CPU. Should run trash like COD perfectly well, obviously no problem with the likes of Mario and Zelda, but as we see with Batman the second the CPU has to actually handle anything, it needs a lot of work to get anything running smooth.

I just don't get why they didn't clock up the CPU a bit more (they could have afforded a bit more power consumption in there!), and at least gave us this gen with smooth HD at 60fps. That would then have been a decent machine capable of surviving the long term.
The CPU in Wii U should be very good at things such as tree traversal and dealing with complex structures, far far better than Cell. It would probably run something like MS Word or a Web browser wonderfully. Skyrim for example should not pose it a problem. Cell actually struggles running a full TCP/IP stack.

On another note, I was also talking to a game design student from Uni, and feck me no wonder games are more and more shit. They aren't taught any of the classics (he knew not a single designer/programmer from back in the day) and struggled with I asked him about something like Molyneux or McClean. I nearly fell off my chair when he said the main part about games mechanics looked at Rockstar primarily! fecking hell, no wonder level design and gameplay is going backwards.
Crammond, Braben, Mitsuji...????? He does know who Miyamoto is right?

WeasteDevil

Do systems always sell out straight from the shelves these days? I would have thought online pre-ordering takes the vast majority of stock.

Then again, maybe more people are becoming like us and choose to wait and see.
I don't know, as soon as you see a new Apple product, you get queue lengths going around the block at midnight.

Only two left in the store mate.

It'll be interesting to see how well they sell come the new year. Everybody loves a new toy to play with for Xmas.
With the Wii and PS3 launches, you had machines on E-bay going for thousands due to short supply. My new toy this Christmas is going to be a 3DS disguised as a Christmas present for my daughter. :wenger:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Odd thing is that the newbie doesn't even have a Wii U thread (they have a new Tombraider one). I was looking forward to wumming it, but it does not seem to exist!!! :(
Well you are by far the top poster in this thread too.

I'm afraid you are one of the few people who care so deeply.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I care deeply because I care for the direction in which gaming is going. In any case,
Yep, the one thing we've always agreed on. It's going down the pan.

do you not think that it's odd that the newbie does not have a Wii U thread?
I don't look at the newbies myself, I suppose it is a little strange and get what you are thinking, but I personally think the Wii-U has been under publicised and it's proper strange the brand awareness is less than even the 3DS was at first.

Redlambs

The CPU in Wii U should be very good at things such as tree traversal and dealing with complex structures, far far better than Cell. It would probably run something like MS Word or a Web browser wonderfully. Skyrim for example should not pose it a problem. Cell actually struggles running a full TCP/IP stack.
It's going to be good at things needed in Mario games. Shite at anything needing complex A.I/Physics at lots of characters. As I said, it's a good thing those are two areas that have stalled.

Crammond, Braben, Mitsuji...????? He does know who Miyamoto is right?
Well Miyamoto is always studied in these courses, but he wouldn't know any of the real legends.

He reckoned they spent weeks and weeks on Red Dead Redemption alone. Now as overall game design, maybe, but this was focusing on game mechanics! I mean, come on! I suppose it could be worse and been a cod or something, but no doubt they tackle all that too.

The future is very worrying.

Member 39557

I'm actually starting to crave one of these, I think its because they're shiny and new.
I purchased one, and I hate myself for being such a sucker for shiny new gadgets.

So far:

Negatives:
Lots of updates, The console itself had a big update which took ages. I then put 2 discs in, and they both had updates! Then, I downloaded a game from the store, and that had a big update. Why they can't let you download the finished product, I don't know!

The load times between applications are too long, not annoyingly long, but long enough to have you drumming your fingers! Even when quitting applications to go back to the main screen. Hopefully they'll sort this out as they go forward.

The battery life on the tablet could be longer. The battery is replaceable, so perhaps they'll produce a better one in the future? For now though, you only get 2 or 3 hours before you have to plug it in.

Positives:

Portability, I played Mario upstairs on the tablet whilst the gf watched crap tv downstairs.

Had my Nephews over and we played 4 player Nintendoland. The way the game differs for people with the tablet/people with wiimotes is very well done and we had lots of fun. There really is some strong potential for social gaming here!
We also played 3 player co-operative Mario u and that was excellent too. It's a very good game.

I've played about 30 minutes of Zombie u. It's very atmospheric and they incorporate the Tablet quite intelligently so far. I don't understand the poor reviews, but maybe I've not played it enough yet to find any faults, I'll have a proper play this weekend.

Miiverse. Really is a good idea, you can post messages within games for people to find, or you can post screenshots in the games' community messageboard and people can comment and offer advice. It's also good fun just to scroll through peoples messages and pictures.

There is one benefit of Nintendo's strict policies too, as there's no trolling! (So far anyway)

So overall, I'm happy with it at the moment. It was possibly too much money, but I knew that anyway. It's different to my PS3, and I feel I have the best of both worlds.

Count Orduck

Well Miyamoto is always studied in these courses, but he wouldn't know any of the real legends.

He reckoned they spent weeks and weeks on Red Dead Redemption alone. Now as overall game design, maybe, but this was focusing on game mechanics! I mean, come on! I suppose it could be worse and been a cod or something, but no doubt they tackle all that too.

The future is very worrying.
In fairness RDR is actually a pretty good game, and as far as current developers go Rockstar aren't the worst, but do these courses think that a game being modern means it's automatically better? Christ, gaming would improve if people started making games more like the old ones.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
A futuristic device for recording Wii U gamepad footage as show in the Japanese Nintendo Direct that just aired... a camera attached to a helmet.

Member 39557

I don't think they could have made him look gimpier if they tried!

Redlambs

In fairness RDR is actually a pretty good game, and as far as current developers go Rockstar aren't the worst, but do these courses think that a game being modern means it's automatically better? Christ, gaming would improve if people started making games more like the old ones.
Well the overall packages might be ok ,but actual game mechanics are the worst aspects of Rockstar games. That might have changed if I actually accepted the job there though :lol:

But this guy was in the second year of a design course at uni and I'm not even sure the teachers themselves actually know what the term Game Mechanics refers to. For example I was talking to him about something simple like a much more inteligent auto aim system for consoles and better character control, and he looked at me with such a blank expression I just gave up.

WeasteDevil

Interesting. I was actually in London talking to a couple of guys from down the surrey way (I'm not naming companies) who haven't had first hand experience with the system, but who obviously do know their company is keeping an eye on it. Nothing really technical, but word around the campfire is there's no problem with memory and memory access, the GPU is pretty hot, but obviously there is a major problem with the raw grunt of the CPU.
Seems not to have any real SIMD/vector units either. At least Xenon has 3 quite powerful VMX units actually improved on the one in the Cell PPE. Is the use of these in XB360 for video decoding a part of what's getting Microsoft into trouble with Motorola in their patent dispute?

Member 39557

I've been impressed with it to be honest, more-so than I thought I'd be (although I was expecting the worst). The console is sleek and well built, as are the controllers. I got the ZombiU bundle with a Wii Remote Plus (never bought one of these for Wii) and New Super Mario Bros. U.

Haven't really played ZombiU much yet, literally for about 20 minutes to see what it was like. I can tell it's going to be very hit-and-miss already, but it's difficult and will last me a while when I get into it. If you like survival horror like the original Resident Evil games, you'll probably love it.

New Super Mario Bros. U doesn't really offer much different to previous games in the series, but my first night with the Wii U on Thursday was with the girlfriend and two mates playing four player with some beers. Like with the Wii, it was amazing fun. Haven't laughed so much in a long time.

Graphics wise, it's as good as anything I've seen before, which was the one thing I expected it to do as good if not better :lol:

OS is a bit slow for now but I think they're working on improving that in an update eventually, but it's not annoying slow. Interface is nice, everything is bright and fluid. GamePad works great and is very comfy despite being quite big. It already feels like the next step in gaming and I'm sure Microsoft and Sony will copy it in some way come late 2013 or sometime in 2014. However, if Nintendo's somewhat average powered console for the current time costs £300 , then if we're seeing a major upgrade these ones are going to have to be over £500 to break even.

For anyone interested, I'd definitely buy it online and probably from ShopTo. Don't feck about with the Basic pack, get one of the Premium ones.
I would recommend downloading the Rayman Legends demo. It's fantastic! Dungeon Rock is well funny.

Member 39557

TVii looks like it has good potential for sport. When this comes to Europe, I'd like to see what they can do with Football.

Sports, TVii’s Saving Grace

Nintendo TVii is plagued by a laundry list of other faults that will need to be ironed out in the future too, like stuttering menus, lengthy load times and the fact that DVR support isn’t currently available. (Or Hulu. Or Netflix.) Comments you make will also get double-posted to Facebook twice if you’ve got it and Twitter linked and you tie TVii to both. Really, what we’ve been given access to today is more like Nintendo TVii Beta, a glimpse of what the service could offer someday.

But there is one saving grace for TVii right now, in its current form – sports. Watching a live game with TVii running on the GamePad is very, very cool. I actually tested this out before heading over to NBC’s comedies, catching parts of the Poinsettia Bowl on ESPN and the end of the Timberwolves vs. Thunder NBA game.

A full record of every play in the game, in order, with stats and visual aids.

Watching both games rocked. I’m not personally a fan of any of the teams who were playing, but the streaming, constantly updated info on the GamePad screen made me feel more invested. For the football game, a display of the field gave a diagram of every single play, letting you scroll back and forth through the entire game and see every run, pass, fumble and field goal. And comment on any of them, any time after they’d happened.

For basketball, a similar court diagram gave you a visual indicator of where shots had just been launched from on the floor and whether or not they made it through the net. Constantly-updated “moments,” each available for commentary, keep a continuous scroll on the right side of the GamePad screen as well. I was impressed with the speed – when Westbrook went to the line to shoot a free throw and made it, the GamePad said exactly that and invited your comment. When he hit the second one in a row, the post about him making the first shot auto-updated itself to read that he’d made both.

It may seem to be a subtle thing, but even a not-so-much-of-a sports fan like myself could see the appeal here. I can’t wait to see how the Miiverse, Facebook and Twitter explode during huge live events like the Super Bowl.

For basketball, see where every shot in the game was launched from in one image.

The Potential is There

And so concluded my first evening with Nintendo TVii. Will I use it again? I think I will, especially to show my friends and family how it interacts with sporting events and connects you to other Wii U-owning fans watching the same games along with you. But I’d like to see Nintendo address some of the issues I encountered here when rolling out future updates for the software. We know they’re coming, as DVR support, Hulu and Netflix integration are still being prepped. So maybe, when those updates arrive, they can also give us a menu option that lets us toggle off things like “I commented on a TV Moment. I commented on a TV Moment. I commented on a TV Moment.”

Because, if they do, I may be more likely to want to comment on more TV moments.

The verdict: Nintendo TVii is kind of incomplete, definitely clunky and maybe more of a hassle than it's worth in its current form. But the potential is definitely there.

Castia

Iv been contemplating getting one they have a decent launch line up but the majority of 2013's major titles haven't been announced for the Wii U (yet at least) so im holding off for a while. GTA 5 alone would be enough to make me place an order.

MichaelS

Iv been contemplating getting one they have a decent launch line up but the majority of 2013's major titles haven't been announced for the Wii U (yet at least) so im holding off for a while. GTA 5 alone would be enough to make me place an order.
Don't you have a Xbox or ps3 for that?

Castia

Don't you have a Xbox or ps3 for that?
Yeah but if Im going to pay £300-£400 on a Wii U id like to have the option of buying the majority of next years top games on it. Seems pointless to buy it then spend the majority of time/money on the ps3.

MichaelS

Yeah but if Im going to pay £300-£400 on a Wii U id like to have the option of buying the majority of next years top games on it. Seems pointless to buy it then spend the majority of time/money on the ps3.
Seems pointless to buy a console to play games you can already play on your existing console.

Red_Aaron

Brought my 9 yr old one, got him nintendoland and the mario bros u too
He loves it, hasnt put it down but then he is 9 so what does he know

Have to admit it looks a total pile of crap to me, can't see anyone over 12 being a long term user.

kps88

The fact that barely anyone on here has bought one says it all. Nintendo should always launch with either a Zelda or Mario (3D) title.

What have the sales figures been like?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I'm reluctant to spunk close to £400 on it now, when it's almost a given that a price drop will follow next year.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
The fact that barely anyone on here has bought one says it all.
Don't see why TBH, until the 3DS/PSP2 thread was made I never saw anyone here say that they owned a DS.

BTW, for anyone saying they want one but don't want to spend nearly £400 on it, you can get the premium bundle from Zavvi for £259.

Havak

Pokemon master
I don't go on mine so much now, but that's because I've completed ZombiU and New Super Mario Bros. U.... And those were basically the only games I intended on buying until Monster Hunter is out in March. I did download the Rayman Legends Demo though, and it looks amazing! Plays so well too, I think that'll be another game I'll get, but that's delayed until March now as well! Sadly, while the launch line-up was far better than the 3DS, for a lot of people, we'll still have that dry spell for quite some time yet until a few more games come onto the scene.

The launch week for America saw 425,000 Wii U consoles sold - 50,000 less than the Wii on its launch. The launch weekend in Japan saw 308,000 Wii U consoles sold. The Wii U is actually already at between 1.8 - 2million units sold worldwide, so not too bad. But we have to remember that they've hit the Christmas market.

Havak

Pokemon master
Don't see why TBH, until the 3DS/PSP2 thread was made I never saw anyone here say that they owned a DS.

BTW, for anyone saying they want one but don't want to spend nearly £400 on it, you can get the premium bundle from Zavvi for £259.
Yeah, that's a great price there.

You can also get the ZombiU Premium Bundle if you'd prefer that game and want the Pro Controller, for £315 on ShopTo.net. The only reason it starts to get pricey is when you want to pick up a game like Mario and a Wii Remote Plus controller as well (which would knock it up to about £385... I think that's pretty fair though for a brand new console with two games and two additional alternative controllers).

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm also waiting until some more Nintendo stuff comes out. A 2D Mario and ZombiU isn't enough for me to pay £300 for the console with two games, not even close. I considered buying it with my yearly financial surplus but will definitely go with something else.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
It needs Zelda to kick off properly. A new franchise wouldn't help either.

I fear for Nintendo during the coming generation.

Redlambs

Do you see people running out buying them? Do you have one?
I'm not standing outside the shops, so I've no idea. I do know people with one though, more than I did the Wii, not that that means anything. I don't yet own one no, but PS3 apart, I haven't bought a console on release in ages.

But Redcafe isn't a good indication is it, or are you still going to claim otherwise?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I can't believe they added a screen to the controller.