Will Bruno leave penalties and free kicks to Ronaldo now?

James Peril

Bruno has taken a lot of high pressure penalties for us before. Just not his day, and Ronaldo played a factor in it.

Very difficult decision who takes the next one. You dont want to dent Bruno's confidence, but also the Ronaldo factor is there.
Ronaldo takes the next pen, that much is obvious. Bruno was obviously rattled by the pressure of knowing Ronaldo is next in line, so he changes modus operandi and sends it to Jupiter. He didn’t handle the pressure, he loses his rights to take penalties. It’s harsh, but harsly controversial in this business. More pressure will be on him if he is given one in the 88th minute against Villarreal, and Ronaldo would take it without breaking a sweat. Doesn’t mean he’ll score of course, penalties are 7/10 after all.

The entire point made a dozen times over in this thread is that while penalties are 7/10 overall, Fernandes's are 9/10 while Ronaldo's at 8/10. Which is why he should still be taking them.

And for the people still making the argument about Ronaldo taking a hundred more penalties, his success rate is exactly the same (i.e. significantly lower than Fernandes's) if you just look at his most recent 45 ones.

Amir

The idea that we should have handed Ronaldo the penalties is absurd when Fernandes has done so well for us. It's like putting a player ahead of the team.

Fergie said that when he tried to sign Shearer, Shearer asked him whether he could take penalties. Fergie told him that Cantona has never missed one for us, and that if he will - then maybe. If you've got something good you don't just hand it over to someone else because he's a star.

Bole Top

The idea that we should have handed Ronaldo the penalties is absurd when Fernandes has done so well for us. It's like putting a player ahead of the team.
100% agree, I wrote the same in other thread. some are also suggesting Ronaldo should be given free kicks by default as well which it's just crazy.

the goal should be individuals doing their best for the club, not the club doing what is best for a certain individual, in this case Ronaldo. I couldn't care less about his ballon d'or case. Bruno certainly earned the right to take both penalties and free kicks in last 2 years and it was correct decision from Ole.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
"We don't know if Ronaldo would have missed it. We do know Fernandes did miss it. Therefore, it was the wrong decision"

Honestly, the state of this forum today :lol: .So many people in need of either a strong drink, some basic reasoning classes, or maybe both.
Specifically on this, I absolutely agree. I cannot believe people are going in on Bruno for missing a single pen when he's scored so, so many crucial ones. Us getting a pen last season was an automatic goal FFS.

I especially remember that one he scored against LCFC to get us 1-0 up and all but guaranteed 3rd last summer. The xG (not a fan of this stat because most people are cluessless how to interpret them but still) of a penalty is 0.70-0.75 which means a quarter of penalties get missed. Even after today, I think Bruno's conversion rate is above 90%.

People sometimes really have short memories.

lsd

The Oracle
Same people crying hysterically would be saying the exact same stuff but with the names reversed if Ronaldo had missed.

Really? How many times has Bruno been named the worlds best player?

Mcking

Bruno's conversation rate is better, but you want your clutch players for the clutch situations, and they don't come much clutcher than Ronaldo.

I wonder the message it would send if Ronaldo starts taking them now. It would show how indecisive the decision makers has been. What happened to conversion rates? I mean Bruno's is still better than Ronaldo's.

RooneyLegend

Nope, this means Bruno wont be missing one for the foreseeable future. Changing to Ronaldo is stupid, what do we do when he misses one? No one scores each and every penalty.

RooneyLegend

Bruno's conversation rate is better, but you want your clutch players for the clutch situations, and they don't come much clutcher than Ronaldo.

I wonder the message it would send if Ronaldo starts taking them now. It would show how indecisive the decision makers has been. What happened to conversion rates? I mean Bruno's is still better than Ronaldo's.
Let's not act like we've never seen Ronaldo miss pens in clutch situations. Just last season he missed some.

Amir

Don't care. They will both score 99% of the time. But i think it was a mistake to not let Ronaldo take it today. Martinez og Villa players got to Bruno today. Nothing gets to Ronaldo. Certantly not some barely known Villa footballers :D
I really don't think you should decide your penalty taker at the last second during a match.

Really? How many times has Bruno been named the worlds best player?
It's funny you say that, because the other guy to have been named the world's best player as often as Ronaldo is not only also a worse penalty taker than Fernandes, but a bang-average taker in general (78%). He's living proof that being the best player in the world has nothing to do with the specific skill that is penalty-taking.

You've been the biggest Captain Hindsight in this thread all day, which is saying something. I know you're not actually going to take this post in because you haven't had a useful response to any of the multiple people who've already called out your inane logic, so feel free to respond with "you're an idiot who was crying for fecking Bruno to take a penalty over the best player in the world"

Last edited:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Ronaldo should take penalties. Bruno can stay on free kicks.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Nope, this means Bruno wont be missing one for the foreseeable future. Changing to Ronaldo is stupid, what do we do when he misses one? No one scores each and every penalty.
It actually happened not long ago, when Pogba miss it, we hand it to Rashford, then to Bruno.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's funny you say that, because the other guy to have been named the world's best player as often as Ronaldo is not only also a worse penalty taker than Fernandes, but a bang-average taker in general (78%). He's living proof that being the best player in the world has nothing to do with the specific skill that is penalty-taking.

You've been the biggest Captain Hindsight in this thread all day, which is saying something. I know you're not actually going to take this post in because you haven't had a useful response to any of the multiple people who've already called out your inane logic, so feel free to respond with "you're an idiot who was crying for fecking Bruno to take a penalty over the best player in the world"
Ronaldo takes far far more penalties than Bruno over their career, the sample size just isn't the same to compare. Also, Ronaldo does take all penalties for Portugal ahead of Bruno and everyone else, especially on the bigger stages (scored a few critical ones in Euro too), he has been through all kinds of situations, unlike Bruno who has only takes it for United in the league or domestic cups, its would be even more stranger for both player if Bruno take penalties ahead of Ronaldo at United. With Bruno freaking out and ballooning it to the sky with his latest one, it just seem he wasn't in his right mind anymore with Ronaldo behind him on the spot kick. At least I've never seen Ronaldo feck up a penalty so bad, even he has missed a few in the past.

In short, Penaldo > Penandes

Last edited:

POF

Bruno should continue to take the penalties. He has been brilliant at them for United and regularly held his nerve with the game on the line.

I'm really disappointed by Ole's comments criticising Villa's players and saying it "obviously effected" Bruno. What does he think will happen now? Every opposition player/keeper will be all over whoever takes the next one.

The correct response was "of course it didn't have any effect. Bruno thrives under pressure and has scored multiple times under pressure for United. Anyone can miss a penalty." It clearly did impact him but that's the message you need to put out there. The question is, why did it impact him. Bruno usually does thrive under pressure.

The Ronaldo circus has definitely impacted the confidence of the team in a negative way. That is very disappointing and I expected Ole to handle it better.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ole is making right decision in sticking to his most trusted penalty kicker in the most crucial moment, who had best conversion rate over past 2 season.
He is making right decision in sticking to his McFred partnership which gives him better results over past 2 season too.
He is making right decision in sticking to his best/safest team throughout majority of the game, without making any major changes in regards to opponents tactics.

No I don't think he is making the right decisions at all, he is just afraid of changes. We've already lost 3 games in this early stage of the seasons against poorer opponents (Young boys, West Ham and Villa) because of his bad decisions/tactics, Its just unacceptable.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Don't care. They will both score 99% of the time. But i think it was a mistake to not let Ronaldo take it today. Martinez og Villa players got to Bruno today. Nothing gets to Ronaldo. Certantly not some barely known Villa footballers :D
Exactly. He just thrives in pressure. Don't blame Bruno though. He has been brilliant for us anyway. I do hope Ronaldo take over now.

Ronaldo takes far far more penalties than Bruno over their career, the sample size just isn't the same to compare.
No, that's not how it works. I've already covered this multiple times in the thread.

Go back and take Ronaldo's last 46 penalties, i.e. as many as Fernandes has taken in his career to date. His conversion rate in those 46 is 85%. Go further back and look at a rolling 46-penalty average for him over the years - say, since April 2016 when Fernandes took his first penalty - and it's ranged from 87% to as low as 72% (there was a spell where he had missed 13 of his last 46 - I'm guessing lsd will try and argue all 13 were in meaningless games).

The last time Ronaldo was at the 90% mark using a sample of the most recent 46 was in 2014, so if anything he's gotten worse at them recently. If you want to argue this will happen to Fernandes as he takes more and more penalties and keepers have more data on his methods, be my guest - but until it does happen, Fernandes is a better penalty taker. It's that simple.

As for all the rest about Ronaldo taking big penalties in big games, we're all United fans here and I presume we all watched his first spell at the club, so there's no reason to pretend he's always been ice-cold from the spot in the biggest games. He's missed in a CL final shootout, he's missed in a CL semi, he's missed at a World Cup, he's missed at a Euro.

So in short, no. Ronaldo is a great penalty taker but there are a few in the world that are better than him, and we have one of them. That's why he took it today.

Without looking at the stats, I'd imagine Fernandes is a better penalty taker but he'll let Ronaldo take them anyway because a) it's Ronaldo and b) he's great at them himself.
This was my first post in this thread before I'd checked the numbers. Still stand by it, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ronaldo is taking them all come the end of the season. But it's perfectly valid and objectively accurate to say Fernandes is better from the spot, and it's annoying to see people banging on repeatedly on the back of today's miss as if this is somehow an idiotic view.

Last edited:

Redevils.premier

Tired of players excuses. Tired of seeing Bruno and others saying they'll "bounce back". Just DO BETTER. And Greenwood... Learn to pass the ball, mate. Let Bruno take the penalties. It's OK, time will tell. I would choose Ronaldo for penalties, everyday of the week. But OK... Keep it up. Let's wait and see.

Lee565

You have to wonder whether the pressure of Ronaldo breathing down Fernandes neck to be the main penalty taker over him had an impact on him uncharacteristically sky that penalty way over over the bar

Lucky *7*

Ronaldo captains Fernandes in Portugal and takes the penalties ahead of Fernandes for Portugal. Now Fernandes is AHEAD of him as captain and taking penalties for Manchester United..

I don't understand why Fernandes can't just take the free-kicks and give Ronaldo penalties? Otherwise Ronaldo gets NOTHING.. no free-kicks, no captains armband when Harry isn't playing and no penalties.. even Messi has taken over free-kicks straight away at PSG! So I don't know why Ronaldo can't get the penalties.. as the upside is worth it. He's took them for every club he's played for and country and won trophies.. so its a tried and tested which works with proven results

it's actually a bit humiliating and embarrassing for Ronaldo now as questions will start to be asked in his home country.. I think he joined United expecting to be United's main-man (maybe promises was made to get him to join United ahead of City). And he's quickly realising that isn't the case.. I can see him losing his motivation and just picking up his pay Cheque as a 36 year old. So sitting on the bench not getting animated etc as he got criticised for that

goals are what motivates him.. and he isn't winning the Golden Boot or Ballon d'Or without taking the penalties. Penalties can add another 10-15 goals a season onto your tally as it did Fernandes last season as Manchester United got loads of penalties

I think you should keep the GOAT happy and motivated as there's trickier games ahead like Liverpool etc where you need Ronaldo in confidence and firing . Yes Bruno has a slightly better ratio but Ronaldo'a ratio is still VERY GOOD after taking over 150 penalties in his career.. plenty of high pressure ones too.. let's see Fernandes ratio after taking 150 penalties I bet it's not much different or worse than Ronaldo's.. and most of Ronaldo penalty saves have been good saves by the keeper I don't think he's ever blast one in row Z as bad as Fernandes's was. So I don't think the slightly better ratio is worth all of the above.. unhappy, demotivated and low on confidence Ronaldo

Ruud Van Nistelrooy had a worse penalty ratio than Ronaldo but he always took them as our main striker as we needed to get him happy scoring goals, motivated and in-form

I'm shocked fernandes didn't offer Ronaldo the ball he's meant to idolise him

and even more shocked Ronaldo didn't have taking penalties written into his contract. When Alan Shearer joined Newcastle he had taking penalties written into his contract.. can't believe Ronaldo has a more basic contract in 2021. Mendes got duped

seriously. You don't make your best player and the goat feel unloved

Last edited:
I thought this flood of new users with Ronaldo usernames would at least have a better understanding of the guy than "he's going to lose his motivation and just play for a cheque if he doesn't get the armband and penalties!!!"

Like, seriously.

lsd

The Oracle
You t
I thought this flood of new users with Ronaldo usernames would at least have a better understanding of the guy than "he's going to lose his motivation and just play for a cheque if he doesn't get the armband and penalties!!!"

Like, seriously.

You think the people in Portugal are not wondering right now why on earth was Bruno taking that penalty and not Ronaldo?

What do the people in Portugal have to do with any of the waffle in that post about Ronaldo feeling betrayed because he didn't take the penalty?

Judas

Open to offers
I don't know why anyone on here gives even the tiniest feck the mood in Portugal, or the word on the street over it. Bizarre stuff to bring up, but its not a surprise given who is saying it.

More than ever Bruno needs to take the next penalty. We can't breed a toxic Mourinho atmosphere where players are scared to make mistakes.

Do people really think Martinez made a blind bit of difference to Bruno? Top players don't get phased by that nonsense.

He'sRaldo

Ronaldo captains Fernandes in Portugal and takes the penalties ahead of Fernandes for Portugal. Now Fernandes is AHEAD of him as captain and taking penalties for Manchester United..

I don't understand why Fernandes can't just take the free-kicks and give Ronaldo penalties? Otherwise Ronaldo gets NOTHING.. no free-kicks, no captains armband when Harry isn't playing and no penalties.. even Messi has taken over free-kicks straight away at PSG! So I don't know why Ronaldo can't get the penalties.. as the upside is worth it. He's took them for every club he's played for and country and won trophies.. so its a tried and tested which works with proven results

it's actually a bit humiliating and embarrassing for Ronaldo now as questions will start to be asked in his home country.. I think he joined United expecting to be United's main-man (maybe promises was made to get him to join United ahead of City). And he's quickly realising that isn't the case.. I can see him losing his motivation and just picking up his pay Cheque as a 36 year old. So sitting on the bench not getting animated etc as he got criticised for that

goals are what motivates him.. and he isn't winning the Golden Boot or Ballon d'Or without taking the penalties. Penalties can add another 10-15 goals a season onto your tally as it did Fernandes last season as Manchester United got loads of penalties

I think you should keep the GOAT happy and motivated as there's trickier games ahead like Liverpool etc where you need Ronaldo in confidence and firing . Yes Bruno has a slightly better ratio but Ronaldo'a ratio is still VERY GOOD after taking over 150 penalties in his career.. plenty of high pressure ones too.. let's see Fernandes ratio after taking 150 penalties I bet it's not much different or worse than Ronaldo's.. and most of Ronaldo penalty saves have been good saves by the keeper I don't think he's ever blast one in row Z as bad as Fernandes's was. So I don't think the slightly better ratio is worth all of the above.. unhappy, demotivated and low on confidence Ronaldo

Ruud Van Nistelrooy had a worse penalty ratio than Ronaldo but he always took them as our main striker as we needed to get him happy scoring goals, motivated and in-form

and even more shocked Ronaldo didn't have taking penalties written into his contract. When Alan Shearer joined Newcastle he had taking penalties written into his contract.. can't believe Ronaldo has a more basic contract in 2021. Mendes got duped

Even if Lionel Messi were to join people would still drone on about stats and ratios.

It's not that complex really. Your main goal-getter/talisman, the man you need confident and with the best numbers for the entire season, should take the penalties. Even if he's not that great at them. See Messi at Barca, or as you mentioned, Ruud with us.

Judas

Open to offers
More than ever Bruno needs to take the next penalty. We can't breed a toxic Mourinho atmosphere where players are scared to make mistakes.

Do people really think Martinez made a blind bit of difference to Bruno? Top players don't get phased by that nonsense.
I don't know, something phased him, that penalty was unlike any he's ever taken in his career. Maybe it was a coincidence, but it wasn't just a bad penalty, it was an appalling one.

I'd still back him bury his next one though.

Sviken

Baffling decision. People in this thread know zero about man management (and they seem to praise Ole about that). Taking one of the GOATs off the penalties because statistically Bruno is apparently 1% better at scoring them is a stupid decision. In an effort for Solskjaer to establish his non-existent authority, he shoots himself in the foot. The main man, as @beer&grill said, needs to be kept happy. Ole isn't SAF, he has no authority to stamp. The moment Ronaldo was signed, certain concessions would have had to be made. No manager so far has had the audacity to take Ronaldo off them. I don't care if the fecking goalkeeper has better penalty ability, it doesn't matter. Penalties are always given to the "leaders", the goalscorers. I'm sure Messi wasn't the best penalty taker at Barca, but it doesn't matter because he was the main man. Was he the best penalty taker in Real? Or when he was with us at United during SAF? Probably not. But SAF understood that there is more to football than simple stats. Suarez, Neymar, etc. We can go on and on. The main man always takes the penalties and Ronaldo playing second fiddle to Bruno, as good as he is, is like Ronaldo playing a second fiddle to Modric.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

A lot of made up scenarios in your head here