Will De Gea reach all time clean sheet record?

Son

You can't be serious. Pundits, fans and media alike rated him right up there.

Not now, but a mistake tonight doesn't change the past.
Yeah totally he was an absolute beast under Van Gaal. Best shot stopper I’ve ever seen in my lifetime despite his flaws.

Around 2016 he was getting us points almost single handedly. People forget Neuer has a mistake in him too due to his risky game and always did.

Helps when you play for Bayern in Germany. You might as well show off a bit as he had about 1/10th of the work De Gea had to do at his peak and zero consequences for mistakes in league matches.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There was one year where he was widely believed to be the best, but that was more due to Neuer having a dodgy season. Overall he was generally considered second to Neuer during that period.

On the one hand, being second to Neuer isn't exactly harsh criticism (probably the best keeper in history). On the other, it was at a time where there was very little competition, with the older guys either retired or not as good anymore and the next generation not having stepped up yet. He probably wouldn't have been second if it had been 5 years earlier or 5 years later.
That last line is irrelevant.

He had his years where numerous pundits and media rated him the best in the world. Scroll up the page, a couple of us have quoted numerous examples.
He didn't just sneak in for a year when Neuer was pissing about, that is outrageous revisionism.

arnie_ni

Page 5 is pure gold. Great work guys.

De gea was easily one of, if not the best keeper in the world in the wid 2010s and to say he wasn't is re writing history. There's a reason RM wanted him and we gave him the largest contract for a keeper in the world.

Everyone thought it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That last line is irrelevant.

He had his years where numerous pundits and media rated him the best in the world. Scroll up the page, a couple of us have quoted numerous examples.
He didn't just sneak in for a year when Neuer was pissing about, that is outrageous revisionism.
There's a difference between being 'one of the best' (which he was for quite a few years), and being 'the best'. Sure some commentators (probably only English-based ones) may have said he was, but in reality there was a clear gap between him and Neuer. Neuer was ridiculously good, basically like having Schmeichel with the sweeper-keeper and passing ability that all keepers are judged on now. There's no shame in being second to him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There's a difference between being 'one of the best' (which he was for quite a few years), and being 'the best'. Sure some commentators (probably only English-based ones) may have said he was, but in reality there was a clear gap between him and Neuer. Neuer was ridiculously good, basically like having Schmeichel with the sweeper-keeper and passing ability that all keepers are judged on now. There's no shame in being second to him.
Yep that's a more reasonable take.
The guy on the previous page saying that he was never the best or close to it was mad.

Then he mentioned 5 pundits he'd never heard say he was the best, and myself and another guy quoted those exact pundits all staying it. Comedy gold.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Page 5 is pure gold. Great work guys.

De gea was easily one of, if not the best keeper in the world in the wid 2010s and to say he wasn't is re writing history. There's a reason RM wanted him and we gave him the largest contract for a keeper in the world.

Everyone thought it.
Yeah I don't think matey will bother showing back up on here will he!
It's so bizarre not to remember a fair few year spell where literally everyone was basically saying we were a shambles bar De Gea's miraculous keeping saving us!

Red_toad

If De Gea did that, he would get slaughtered in here
And rightly so, just like if big Pete conceded by looking like a drunk fart holding onto the near post whilst the ball went through his feet. Luckily their disallowed 2nd didn’t count as he was awful yet again. I’m amazed Everton didn’t see how uncertain he looked all game.
Keane said at the start of the game De Gea always had a mistake in him and he certainly lived up to that in the match, terrible performance and world away from the Bournemouth game.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
There was one year where he was widely believed to be the best, but that was more due to Neuer having a dodgy season. Overall he was generally considered second to Neuer during that period.

On the one hand, being second to Neuer isn't exactly harsh criticism (probably the best keeper in history). On the other, it was at a time where there was very little competition, with the older guys either retired or not as good anymore and the next generation not having stepped up yet. He probably wouldn't have been second if it had been 5 years earlier or 5 years later.
this is fair - I forgot about Neuer having a poor(ish) season. For me, DDG was possibly that as a shot-stopper (and that, of course is the top requirement) but I've never been convinced about his all-round abilities and can't believe some think he's as good or better than Peter S and VdS. And I certainly stick by my opinion that we need an upgrade in the summer

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Several of those exact pundits, for a start. You can hear Keane and Rio say he's the best goalkeeper in the world in the below video (along with the likes of Lampard, Fletcher, Given, Scholes, etc)

And Carragher regularly did. Like here:

Here:

Here (while talking about Alison):

And so on. If you watch back videos of De Gea's highlights from that time with commentary you'll also hear commentators describe him as "the best in the world", "arguably the best in the world", etc.

As I say, you can think they were all wrong to think that. But it's weird that you missed it being said given you presumably followed us throughout that period where he was the PL goalkeeper of the year in five out of six years, which naturally generated that discussion.
Thanks for these. To be fair, I wouldn't go near the Express and some of the others are a bit niche. But am I bit embarrassed to not have heard these being discussed

However, I'll stick by my opinion to disagree with them (and saying "arguably best in the world" is a big difference to saying he is). One of the best shot-stoppers, I could agree with and wonder if that's what some meant...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Even in the final he was badly positioned for the Bayern goal.

Still our second best keeper after VdS, though.
I might have misread this, but are you blaming Peter S for letting in a deflected shot?

alexthelion

I might have misread this, but are you blaming Peter S for letting in a deflected shot?
a) It was't deflected, and
b) he was poorly positioned (covering behind the wall, not the side of the goal the ball went in).

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
a) It was't deflected, and
b) he was poorly positioned (covering behind the wall, not the side of the goal the ball went in).
always thought that got a nick but you're right it didn't. but don't agree he was in the wrong position. he had to be where he could save if it went the other way. Possibly one step wrong but that wouldn't have made a difference

Cantonalegod

The comment in response was related specifically to 1999,. I can't remember many mistakes apart from one major one and from looking I can't find any more (although there is likely to be I'm sure). I'm happy to be corrected if there's more but there was no video linked in the post to show them. Coverage was pretty good then by the way.

I do remember a bad spell for him in the early 99 season, but he turned it around in the second half.

It's probably the wrong thread for this anyway.
Champions League Final 1999.

Who do you think was at fault for the Bayern goal.

Clearly Schmeichel!

Made a move to his right, and was beaten on the keepers side without even diving.

Than nearly cost us the ECL.

MrBest

I think he has been brilliant for us during his time, maybe a 1 or 2 season wobble but that's typical for any goalie. He joined at a time when distribution for a goalkeeper was long ball and throw action, you didn't really sweep. He was brought in to be a shot stopper and for that he has massively lived it up. He was player of the season 4 or 5 times in a team that had been horrific. He saved us many times, won us points into the champions league. He is still doing it today, saved us 3 points at Wolves and made some vital stops against forest and Bournemouth when we were 1 or 2 up. Fully is a legend, up there with Peter and Edwin but for me, Edwin is the GOAT, but he joined us at 33. De gea has ample time to be even better, if we keep him.

norm87cro

The guy deserves this recognitiong but he will do it in much more seasons than big Pete. For me Big Pete will always be the GOAT and probably the most influential GK since Yashin. Mr relaibale VDS is excactly that. Didnt cock up as much but he didnt have as many games of epic proportions like Schmeichel or DDG did.

norm87cro

Clearly Schmeichel!

Made a move to his right, and was beaten on the keepers side without even diving.

Well to be fair he did make a chip save that same game, he did influence the Sheringham goal in a way, in the Fa cup he did save Bergkamps penalty, he did beat fat Ronaldo one on one in the QF and that is just on top of my head. There would be no Treble without him.

Cantonalegod

Well to be fair he did make a chip save that same game, he did influence the Sheringham goal in a way, in the Fa cup he did save Bergkamps penalty, he did beat fat Ronaldo one on one in the QF and that is just on top of my head. There would be no Treble without him.
Don't get me wrong, I loved Schmeichel, but there were plenty of wtf moments.

The passing of time makes them easier to forget, and de Gea will probably be held in very high esteem in 20 years or so too.

norm87cro

Don't get me wrong, I loved Schmeichel, but there were plenty of wtf moments.

The passing of time makes them easier to forget, and de Gea will probably be held in very high esteem in 20 years or so too.
I do agree with th wtf moments and Big Pete did play in a better team my only real issue with DeGea that after more than 10 years at the club he still isnt imposing in his 5 yard box and sometimes he goes for the "futsal" stance when going one on one which can look ridicilous on a big 7 meter goal

Son

Clearly Schmeichel!

He wasn’t even close to his peak that season but he also made some huge saves. Arsenal penalty and Bayern in the final with his finger tips.

Schmeichel had some bad mistakes in him though like Bayern in the group stage.

Earlier in his career I sadly missed his peak. He looked a monster on clips I’ve seen and his reputation at the time was a GOAT keeper already even back then.

Cantonalegod

I do agree with th wtf moments and Big Pete did play in a better team my only real issue with DeGea that after more than 10 years at the club he still isnt imposing in his 5 yard box and sometimes he goes for the "futsal" stance when going one on one which can look ridicilous on a big 7 meter goal
Yes, also agree that he doesn't command his 6 yard box as he should, he is tall enough.

The other issue I have is his positioning at free kicks where it is clear that a shot will be taken.

He stays too far on "his" side of the goal, and too deep.

This effectively means he is diving forward for balls that go to the wall side of the goal.

He could certainly have a starting position further forward.

He has been beaten by long range free kicks too often.

Not withstanding the above I would be happy for him to re-sign on a longish term deal at around half his current salary.

Last edited:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I think Dave will get the record but it has to be said he has had more games to do it. Still think he’s well behind Schmeichel & VDS in the keeper roll of honour.
Schmeichel commanded his box, he dominated. Of course it helped that he was built like a stormtrooper.

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
Hope he's fine, looked like a serious injury to his shoulder.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
What's the count now? Surely it's been 12 clean sheets since this thread was started? Or is it only PL games that count?

The commentators today also said something about De Gea being the first non-British player to have more than 400 PL games for one team

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What's the count now? Surely it's been 12 clean sheets since this thread was started? Or is it only PL games that count?

The commentators today also said something about De Gea being the first non-British player to have more than 400 PL games for one team.
Commentators said that if he had a cleansheet today he'd equal Schmeichel. Also, I think they were saying that De Gea was the youngest non-British goalkeeper to reach 400 PL games.

BorisManUtd

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Aha, thanks for the correction!
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...ier-league-appearance-milestone-against-leeds

What you said was also true though, looking into it more:

Barring a late injury or bout of illness, the Spaniard is poised to become the first non-British player and goalkeeper to make 400 Premier League appearances for one club.
Commentators on my feed just made it sound like he was the youngest non-British keeper to reach 400 but all that is more impressive.

ManUnitedCanuck

Congrats to David on this achievement.

When I started the thread I wasn't sure where our team was at and if we'd be solid enough to get him over the line prior to season end. The progress in the team with the signings have helped a ton, and he's made some key saves at key times.

Well done!

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He wasn’t even close to his peak that season but he also made some huge saves. Arsenal penalty and Bayern in the final with his finger tips.

Schmeichel had some bad mistakes in him though like Bayern in the group stage.

Earlier in his career I sadly missed his peak. He looked a monster on clips I’ve seen and his reputation at the time was a GOAT keeper already even back then.
So did/does Neuer, so does Alisson.

surf

If he remains injury free and we beat Barca he's likely to make more appearances than in any prior season. He hasn't missed a game yet except for the league cup.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Shambolic debut vs City in the community shield.

The away game vs Stoke was probably his first MOTM performance. It made me a believer more than the RvP penalty save (because in the Arsenal game, he let in a saveable near post shot)

edn33

Sack Fergie, sell Giggs, sign Mourinho and help me
DDG is the best keeper for me.

Hope he stays at United forever and goes on the create newer records.

Would rank VDS 2nd followed by the great Dane.