Will Keane

lysglimt

Scout
Plus Ferguson always talked Welbeck up as being a dead cert. It's impossible to second guess really, Petrucci has looked class but its Pogba getting the first team time. I was also convinced by Josh King a year or two ago but who knows.
King and Petruccis problems have been injuries....

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
That's great news, if he's ready for that already. I just hope we can find someone who will play him constantly, if that means the Championship then that's fine with me.

Drainy

I am not sure I would call Welbeck a decent finisher - his main problem has always been his finishing. He has always looked quality in everything he has done on the pitch - but previously he often looked lazy and he never scored enough goals. His work-rate is now much better - but he is still not a good goalscorer.
well would you call him a shit finisher at reserve and youth level? No, he was decent, but his all round game was what made him special. You are also underestimating the work he went through in a game, he was actually pretty damn strong defensively for a forward.

Great news that Will Keane will probably go out on loan next season, hopefully he can do well and continue to develop

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
A friend of mine (Crystal Palace fan) has told me today that the Crystal Palace manager and a few other Championship manager were at the reserves game against Newcastle on Monday because of him.
Seems to fit with these quotes then.

Ferguson said: "Will is progressing the right way. The lad is a good finisher and has good potential.

"He needs a bit of toughening up and next year we will possibly put him out on loan. That would be good for him."
If what you said is true then what a game to score 4 goals in.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I am not sure I would call Welbeck a decent finisher - his main problem has always been his finishing. He has always looked quality in everything he has done on the pitch - but previously he often looked lazy and he never scored enough goals. His work-rate is now much better - but he is still not a good goalscorer.
I mean this is just so wrong.

IrishLegend

I think he's got a point, It's definitely not the strongest aspect of Welbecks game, he doesn't have the predatory instincts of an Owen or Hernandez.

Anyway on to Will Keane. I think this lad could have a good career with us, every time I've seen him play he's consistently good doesn't seem to do anything fancy just gets on with it. Loan to a championship side is definitely the next step. Did wonders for Cleverly.

Not seen a reserve game in a while but everytime I saw Petrucci play I wasn't massively impressed.

roseguy64

Wasn't Welbeck scoring for fun for the reserves and youth? Certainly remember him and Macheda having good goal tallies.

Hope Keane has a good loan next season. Had thought he'd stick around and be 4th striker but loan probably best for him.

SiYuan

Cafe Grandmaster 2008
well would you call him a shit finisher at reserve and youth level? No, he was decent, but his all round game was what made him special. You are also underestimating the work he went through in a game, he was actually pretty damn strong defensively for a forward.

Great news that Will Keane will probably go out on loan next season, hopefully he can do well and continue to develop
Don't know about you but I'd rather have an out and out forward than a Dirk Kuyt-esque player

Amir

Scoring for fun at youth levels is something quite a few players do. Being able to take it to the highest level, where you've got less chances and time to think, sometimes having to make it a goal out of one chance a game, is different. Welbeck is not a great finisher at the moment, but a lot of it is mentally and he's young enough so it should become better. No way of knowing how much. But if he a great footballer - and he's got all the abilities - and a good finisher, he'll be a cracking striker.

I'm hoping Will Keane does well. Haven't watched the reserves much so I can't really comment further. Having seen the goals from the 6-3 game at Newcastle I have to admit it looked at times like it was played in slow motion compared to Premier League. Which just shows the progress one still has to make.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
Scoring for fun at youth levels is something quite a few players do. Being able to take it to the highest level, where you've got less chances and time to think, sometimes having to make it a goal out of one chance a game, is different. Welbeck is not a great finisher at the moment, but a lot of it is mentally and he's young enough so it should become better. No way of knowing how much. But if he a great footballer - and he's got all the abilities - and a good finisher, he'll be a cracking striker.

I'm hoping Will Keane does well. Haven't watched the reserves much so I can't really comment further. Having seen the goals from the 6-3 game at Newcastle I have to admit it looked at times like it was played in slow motion compared to Premier League. Which just shows the progress one still has to make.
I think Danny is a good finisher in technical terms. He has executed some very technically difficult finishes. I think it is mostly a mental thing, like when Rooney was younger and went through long phases of goal drought yet now scores regularly.

lysglimt

Scout

At times - Welbeck was lazy when playing in the academy. And I don't remember the stats but he usually scored less than 1 goal pr 2 games and for someone of his qualities that is not exactly impressive. Esp when he had games where he scored 3-4 goals and then could go 6-7-8 games without goals.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think Danny is a good finisher in technical terms. He has executed some very technically difficult finishes. I think it is mostly a mental thing, like when Rooney was younger and went through long phases of goal drought yet now scores regularly.
Strikers should be good finishes in technical terms. It's the composure and know-how of doing the right thing under pressure infront of goal that is the determining factor. Right now he has loads to do in this respect.

lysglimt

Scout
Ok..prove me wrong....when has Welbeck ever been a good goalscorer ? I have never complained about Welbeck's all-round play which is excellent - but he has NEVER been a good goalscorer. And apart from 1 game against WBA in the academy when he scored 5 goals...his goals pr games ratio has never been that great.

His extreme work-rate which he has now - is actually something he developed when playing for Sunderland last season. He was usually not like this when playing in the academy.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Ok..prove me wrong....when has Welbeck ever been a good goalscorer ? I have never complained about Welbeck's all-round play which is excellent - but he has NEVER been a good goalscorer. And apart from 1 game against WBA in the academy when he scored 5 goals...his goals pr games ratio has never been that great.

His extreme work-rate which he has now - is actually something he developed when playing for Sunderland last season. He was usually not like this when playing in the academy.
Whilst his ratio hasn't been great yet I think what people can see is that he has the potential to be a great goal scorer the rest of his technique is that good that once he marries it to his finishing in the same way it clicked for someone like Rooney then we have a fantastic player.

Most players usually need to iron out the creases in one area, Danny's is his finishing which hasn't been particularly bad to start with.

jb8521

I think a lot of the reason for his improved work rate is Warren Joyce who used to scream keep working Danny for entire reserve games. I think it was more a laid back lack of concentration thing rather than being lazy

Will Absolute

Whilst his ratio hasn't been great yet I think what people can see is that he has the potential to be a great goal scorer the rest of his technique is that good that once he marries it to his finishing in the same way it clicked for someone like Rooney then we have a fantastic player.

Most players usually need to iron out the creases in one area, Danny's is his finishing which hasn't been particularly bad to start with.
You couldn't point at any area of Will Keane's game and say 'he needs to work on than'.

Doesn't mean he'll succeed at United of course. Fergie often favours young players whose game needs work over players who look like senior footballers in waiting. It's the potential thing, I guess.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
A loan move will do him a world of good.

I've been impressed with him this year. Classy footballer, and he can lead the line up on his own.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
You couldn't point at any area of Will Keane's game and say 'he needs to work on than'.

Doesn't mean he'll succeed at United of course. Fergie often favours young players whose game needs work over players who look like senior footballers in waiting. It's the potential thing, I guess.
With regards to the first part of your post, that is certainly true at reserve team level but we know nothing of him at the top end of the premier league with regards to his ability.

Time will tell of course.

Fiskey

He was, just speak to PS18, Mujac or Pogue who watched him loads in the reserves. He was always a hard worker, fantastically so, and always a very good finisher. He only didn't score goals when he was playing on the wing, which he did a fair bit when he first came into the academy side then played on the side of a front three in the reserves.

Collina

He was, just speak to PS18, Mujac or Pogue who watched him loads in the reserves.
Lysglimt doesn't need to talk to them, he's watching the reserves and academy just as much as them.

I think it's possible to turn Welbeck into a good goalscorer, but I don't think he's a natural goalscorer. I love him as a player though. William Keane look more like a natural goalscorer, would've been great with two local lads scoring goals for the first team!

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Lysglimt doesn't need to talk to them, he's watching the reserves and academy just as much as them.

I think it's possible to turn Welbeck into a good goalscorer, but I don't think he's a natural goalscorer. I love him as a player though. William Keane look more like a natural goalscorer, would've been great with two local lads scoring goals for the first team!
still could be couldn't it?

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
He was, just speak to PS18, Mujac or Pogue who watched him loads in the reserves. He was always a hard worker, fantastically so, and always a very good finisher. He only didn't score goals when he was playing on the wing, which he did a fair bit when he first came into the academy side then played on the side of a front three in the reserves.
No he wasn't.

He was often lazy and didn't really develop the 'hard-working' aspect of his game until his Sunderland loan. And his goalscoring stats at lower lvls are also less tham impressive if i remember, certainly not more than 0.6 gpg or so. Macheda was always the greater goalscorer of the two.

LoveInTheAsylum

I think Welbeck has always had great finishing ability, he's just not yet a goalscorer. At the moment he lacks that single-mindedness/greed in front of goal (unlike someone like Sturridge, to make that incredibly tired and lazy comparison - or maybe Will Keane, though I have not seen nearly enough of him). But Welbeck has great finishing technique and ability I think, I believe the clinical/selfish side will come quite easily to him in time. More importantly I think he instinctively reads a game well and gets into the right positions, parts of goalscoring which are much harder to teach.

Er, Will Keane...the rumoured loan move to a Championship club next year should be perfect I think. It would be fantastic to see some of last year's Youth Cup winning side to make it into the first team over the next few years.

Drainy

Had a quick look in the past threads on Welbeck for coaches comments about Welbeck's workrate pre-loan to Sunderland and found this quote from 2008 attributed to Paul McGuinness;

“He's got a smooth and languid style,” says Paul McGuinness, his coach at Under-18 level. “But don't let that fool you, because his style sometimes disguises the fact that he is a really hard worker.

Danny is a very talented and skilful player with good all-round technique. He's strong, quick, good defensively as well as going forward, and he's a real leader, too. He is a good personality to have around the dressing room.”
https://www.redcafe.net/f40/welbeck-play-ghana-187977/

Fiskey

No he wasn't.

He was often lazy and didn't really develop the 'hard-working' aspect of his game until his Sunderland loan. And his goalscoring stats at lower lvls are also less tham impressive if i remember, certainly not more than 0.6 gpg or so. Macheda was always the greater goalscorer of the two.
I just don't agree with the hard-working aspect. I'm pretty sure I saw him first as a 15 year old and was always impressed with how hard he worked. And although it will be difficult to quantify through stats I'm sure that the only reason his scoring rate for the academy?reserves wasn't stellar was the amount of time he spent on the wing, when he played up front his finishing was always good and clinical.

mo0

should also be noted he was part of the England team that won the U17s Euros in 2010 along with Johnstone and Thorpe. strong side (Barkley, McEachran, and more).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Had a quick look in the past threads on Welbeck for coaches comments about Welbeck's workrate pre-loan to Sunderland and found this quote from 2008 attributed to Paul McGuinness;

https://www.redcafe.net/f40/welbeck-play-ghana-187977/
There you go. That pretty much blows the "only started working hard after Sunderland" theory out of the water.

I never remember him being lazy. He's always covered lots of ground. Can look very casual on the ball, mind you. That's his style though.

I also don't remember him as a player that missed loads of chances, especially in his final season for the reserves. He was pretty effective in front of goal. Capable of all sorts of finishes.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
should also be noted he was part of the England team that won the U17s Euros in 2010 along with Johnstone and Thorpe. strong side (Barkley, McEachran, and more).
He was one of England's stand-outs in that tournament, playing as an attacking midfielder more than anything. If you'd told me then that he'd be well on his way to becoming a capable target-man 2 years down the road I wouldn't have believed you. His physical development has really been exceptional. As has his bro's.

mo0

tweeted that he was at the England Football Awards at SGP - commented his recovery is progressing well.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
really? I didn't think he was on twitter? His older brother said a while ago that neither of the twins were on there unless that's changed now?

But looking forward to seeing him back in action.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
oh right, I was thinking he might have meant that.

ciderman9000000

He just tweeted: "Redcafed that I tweeted about Will Keane's recovery - Confused them by talking about my own tweet rather than just talking normally - Hence this tweet about redcaffing about a tweet for clarification - Off now to redcafe about this tweet about redcaffing about a tweet about Will Keane's recovery."

Fergie's gum

He just tweeted: "Redcafed that I tweeted about Will Keane's recovery - Confused them by talking about my own tweet rather than just talking normally - Hence this tweet about redcaffing about a tweet for clarification - Off now to redcafe about this tweet about redcaffing about a tweet about Will Keane's recovery."
Will Keane is that you?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Van Velzen has been with the U/21's since returning from Antwerp.

Will Keane is back running at 100%...not sure what ball work he has been doing...
Just wanted to post this in here, Will Keane has finally been spotted moving faster than a walk!

Thanks as always Mister Music!