Will Liverpool's title success be the best ever?

NK86

No it wouldn't. He still had tens of millions to spend and he inherited the world's 3rd(?) best footballer as well as the last remaining authorititive veteran English captain figure in the game. In the Premier League it would be up there with the Utd treble/Arsenal invincible/a.n.other, though. In the history of the football league it would rank nowhere near the Clough Derby and Forest first division titles, to pick an obvious immediate couple at random. I'm sure there are many others.
How would it rank among those two things? One was United fighting and winning three titles in a single season, something no English team has achieved before or since and the other was a team going unbeaten for the first time ever in the PL, again something which has never been achieved by any team in the PL.

It's bizarre how people seem to be hyping it up. It is a good achievement, nothing beyond that. If Atletico manage to pull it off in the La Liga, it will be far more impressive than Liverpool's feat considering they were also in the semis of their own cup competition and are still in the CL quarters and playing excellent stuff. While not having Liverpool's financial resources.

A1X

I like this inevitability which is being ascribed to Liverpool winning the league this season.

Personally I still think City have to cock this up massively to lose out.

Snipers Breath

How would it rank among those two things? One was United fighting and winning three titles in a single season, something no English team has achieved before or since and the other was a team going unbeaten for the first time ever in the PL, again something which has never been achieved by any team in the PL.

It's bizarre how people seem to be hyping it up. It is a good achievement, nothing beyond that. If Atletico manage to pull it off in the La Liga, it will be far more impressive than Liverpool's feat considering they were also in the semis of their own cup competition and are still in the CL quarters and playing excellent stuff. While not having Liverpool's financial resources.
But they also finished 3rd the season before, its akin to Arsenal winning the league.

NK86

But they also finished 3rd the season before, its akin to Arsenal winning the league.
I don't think it's the worst comparison. Which simply proves it's not the biggest feat, let alone the best. Those comparisons to the treble or the invincible season could not be further away from the mark.

Snipers Breath

I don't think it's the worst comparison. Which simply proves it's not the biggest feat, let alone the best. Those comparisons to the treble or the invincible season could not be further away from the mark.
Thats the whole point though, the resurgence of Atletico was sort of expected, Liverpool on the other hand finished in 7th place and most people were tipping them to finish out of the top 4 this season. Of course the two top teams are better than anything England, but Liverpool are also a worse team than Atletico, who have been good for the past couple seasons, beating Real to win the Copa Del Rey and finishing as the best outside the top two last season.

Also the United treble is a bigger achievement, but as a PL achievement, i think only the Invincibles top it in recent times, for a club to go 7th to first in recent times is unprecedented, especially when the club isn't particularly outspending its rivals like Blackburn did.

NK86

Thats the whole point though, the resurgence of Atletico was sort of expected, Liverpool on the other hand finished in 7th place and most people were tipping them to finish out of the top 4 this season. Of course the two top teams are better than anything England, but Liverpool are also a worse team than Atletico, who have been good for the past couple seasons, beating Real to win the Copa Del Rey and finishing as the best outside the top two last season.

Also the United treble is a bigger achievement, but as a PL achievement, i think only the Invincibles top it in recent times, for a club to go 7th to first in recent times is unprecedented, especially when the club isn't particularly outspending its rivals like Blackburn did.
Both Barca and Madrid spend way more than Atletico. Both have far more revenues than Atletico while Atletico was competing on all four fronts, reaching the semis and quarters of two of the cup competitions so far.

Compare that to Liverpool who were knocked out of all the cup comps very early and were not in Europe either. Regarding if this is the best PL achievement, I could argue that ours last season was as good seeing that the same squad is being torn into and called mediocre by many on here. We won the title at a canter by 11 points and were on course to break the highest PL points tally till we had a mini collapse after the Madrid result.

Snipers Breath

Both Barca and Madrid spend way more than Atletico. Both have far more revenues than Atletico while Atletico was competing on all four fronts, reaching the semis and quarters of two of the cup competitions so far.

Compare that to Liverpool who were knocked out of all the cup comps very early and were not in Europe either. Regarding if this is the best PL achievement, I could argue that ours last season was as good seeing that the same squad is being torn into and called mediocre by many on here. We won the title at a canter by 11 points and were on course to break the highest PL points tally till we had a mini collapse after the Madrid result.
Yes and both City and Chelsea spend way more than Liverpool as well.

Also the competing on all fronts argument makes sense, but if we are talking about strictly PL achievements then it should be isolated to just the PL, despite other competitions obviously affecting how well a team does in said league.

Like i said the treble win of United is a bigger achievement in all, but the PL season of 99 wasn't particularly high up in list of great achievements in PL history. And no chance of your win last season being more of an achievement than a 7th place team winning the league, your squad has been called mediocre for years, but for the most part you remain in the top 3.

Needham

Basically agree with you. But in PL history the mass media will be mad for hyping this baby up. Only five teams have ever won the thing. I'd put Chelsea's win when they only conceded about two goals all season up there as well. But that's sullied in the eyes of many by Russian money. Blackburn's win is likewise "sullied" by Jack Walker money. We are all over the history of the Premier League but few non-Utd fans are capable of distinguishing between any of our victories apart from the year we won the treble. City's win is only momentous because of the sickening nature of QPR's injury time capitulation. Otherwise, that championship was entirely our fault, a gimme. Then there's Arsenal unbeaten. So that would leave Liverpool climbing from 7th to 1st and scoring 100 goals on the way. We both know it. It is going to be seen as much more than "a good achievement, nothing beyond that." It will be televised as a sign the Christ-child is coming back.

NK86

Yes and both City and Chelsea spend way more than Liverpool as well.

Also the competing on all fronts argument makes sense, but if we are talking about strictly PL achievements then it should be isolated to just the PL, despite other competitions obviously affecting how well a team does in said league.

Like i said the treble win of United is a bigger achievement in all, but the PL season of 99 wasn't particularly high up in list of great achievements in PL history. And no chance of your win last season being more of an achievement than a 7th place team winning the league, your squad has been called mediocre for years, but for the most part you remain in the top 3.
That cannot be taken in isolation. That is my point. You cannot discount the fact that the team has had more distractions and despite that have been up there with two of the best sides in Europe. Liverpool finished 7th last season and that alone shows how being in Europe can effect a team. The season you are out of Europe and have a good manager, you have bounced back.

My comment about our poor squad was tongue in cheek. But my point was about how we won it at a canter by 11 points while being on course for the highest PL points tally. That was a massively impressive achievement as well.

Snipers Breath

That cannot be taken in isolation. That is my point. You cannot discount the fact that the team has had more distractions and despite that have been up there with two of the best sides in Europe. Liverpool finished 7th last season and that alone shows how being in Europe can effect a team. The season you are out of Europe and have a good manager, you have bounced back.

My comment about our poor squad was tongue in cheek. But my point was about how we won it at a canter by 11 points while being on course for the highest PL points tally. That was a massively impressive achievement as well.
So you think your PL win last season is as good of an achievement as if Liverpool were to win the league this year?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I like this inevitability which is being ascribed to Liverpool winning the league this season.

Personally I still think City have to cock this up massively to lose out.
Will losing at Anfield count as "cocking up massively"?

NK86

So you think your PL win last season is as good of an achievement as if Liverpool were to win the league this year?
I honestly don't. It's just an exaggeration to point out your hyping up of your achievement if you win the title.

NK86

Basically agree with you. But in PL history the mass media will be mad for hyping this baby up. Only five teams have ever won the thing. I'd put Chelsea's win when they only conceded about two goals all season up there as well. But that's sullied in the eyes of many by Russian money. Blackburn's win is likewise "sullied" by Jack Walker money. We are all over the history of the Premier League but few non-Utd fans are capable of distinguishing between any of our victories apart from the year we won the treble. City's win is only momentous because of the sickening nature of QPR's injury time capitulation. Otherwise, that championship was entirely our fault, a gimme. Then there's Arsenal unbeaten. So that would leave Liverpool climbing from 7th to 1st and scoring 100 goals on the way. We both know it. It is going to be seen as much more than "a good achievement, nothing beyond that." It will be televised as a sign the Christ-child is coming back.
Well the media hyping it up is one thing. They will pose this as United falling apart and Liverpool rising to their throne again. Does not necessarily mean it is true.

NK86

When is the last team that went from 7th to 1st place?
If we win the title next season, will it then be considered the best PL win ever? Seeing that we are going to finish 6th/7th this season.

Your team has been under-performing for a while. You have spent shitloads on a lot of players. Just because you finished 7th last year does not hide that fact.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Liverpool have attained their title success by playing fantastic football and on a smaller budget than other top clubs. For this they should be commended.

Lets have a little dignity and class and say 'spiffing job fellows'.

Snipers Breath

If we win the title next season, will it then be considered the best PL win ever? Seeing that we are going to finish 6th/7th this season.

Your team has been under-performing for a while. You have spent shitloads on a lot of players. Just because you finished 7th last year does not hide that fact.
No because your team has one the league in the last 3 years.

We haven't been spending shitload on players since Rodgers has been here, certainly not in comparison with City and Chelsea, Sir Alex said we needed 7 or 8 players to even start challenging and most people on here agreed with him.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
No it wouldn't. He still had tens of millions to spend and he inherited the world's 3rd(?) best footballer as well as the last remaining authorititive veteran English captain figure in the game. In the Premier League it would be up there with the Utd treble/Arsenal invincible/a.n.other, though. In the history of the football league it would rank nowhere near the Clough Derby and Forest first division titles, to pick an obvious immediate couple at random. I'm sure there are many others.
Suarez was not the 3rd best player in the world when he came in. When he came in Suarez was still being beat with the "he can't finish" stick.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
According to everyone now we were completely and utterly garbage last season and yet we won the league by 12 points, so does that not rank as one of the best title successes ever? Winning the league by a significant margin with a load of shite in the team?

:rolleyes:

Chabon

Having the title effectively wrapped up by mid-March, on account of having more points at that stage than anyone has ever had, can be considered a reasonably impressive achievement. It's a major shame we took the rest of the season off after the Madrid debacle, because it stopped us taking a place alongside Mou's Chelsea as an all time great side.

I honestly think the best title win was us in 2007. We managed to overhaul a Chelsea side which seemed unstoppable (some people genuinely thought it was going in the direction of Rangers in the 90s) with a substantially cheaper squad. And we did it with just as much panache and swagger as Liverpool have shown this year, whilst also going close to winning the other two major competitions.

Last edited:

NK86

No because your team has one the league in the last 3 years.

We haven't been spending shitload on players since Rodgers has been here, certainly not in comparison with City and Chelsea, Sir Alex said we needed 7 or 8 players to even start challenging and most people on here agreed with him.
SAF always loved rubbing it in. Does not mean he actually meant it. Moreover, your team has been under performing for quite sometime. You bought Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Skrtel, Henderson, Allen, Sakho, Mignolet and a few more I am sure over the last 2-3 years. You have spent a lot on them and they have all played a pretty big part in this season. So you should not deny that. Your winning will be nice achievement. The best? Not a chance. Especially since you have not been involved in Europe at all or any other cup competitions for any long time. Basically, you guys get a whole week's rest between fixtures almost all the time while all your contenders have had to work around a more congested fixture list.

simon_xazza

Erm... Liverpool have spent more than United over the last 5 years.... Did we get any credit for "doing it on a tight budget"?. They spend a lot of money. They should expect some ROI.

NK86

Erm... Liverpool have spent more than United over the last 5 years.... Did we get any credit for "doing it on a tight budget"?. They spend a lot of money. They should expect some ROI.
That's why I don't understand this talk of the best ever PL win. No way is it even close to being the best ever. Just because they finished 7th last season does not automatically make huge.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
It would be the most impressive by far. Which is why it is paramount that they don't win. I'd take City or Chelsea in a second. I really wanted Arsenal to win but we all know how that went.

Liverpool winning the league the year Fergie is no longer manager just makes me sick. This is another reason why the knives are out for Moyes on here. We have far more talent than them in every position bar center midfield and we have loads of experience.

This all feels like a bad dream. What makes it worse is that I will be cheering for City and Chelsea for the next few weeks.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Nope. Let's just look at it clearly, over the past few years, if you had more then 3 league losses, it'll be pretty hard for you to win the league. It's taking a combination of the greatest manager in the world stepping down to the rest of the top 4 being maddeningly inconsistent and Liverpool overachieving for them to be with a shot at the title. If Sir Alex were still our manager, we'll be sitting comfortably at the top instead of being in 7th.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Liverpool have attained their title success by playing fantastic football and on a smaller budget than other top clubs. For this they should be commended.

Lets have a little dignity and class and say 'spiffing job fellows'.
Agree with this but I'd suggest it's the thread title that's getting a few posters' backs up, mine included.

Great achievement, yes. Best ever? For feck sake.

itso 7

It will be impressive but not the best ever as we have done so on less and Arsenal once did so on less without a loss ! It will leave a bitter taste in the mouth though, come on Jose do something !!!

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It will be impressive but not the best ever as we have done so on less and Arsenal once did so on less without a loss ! It will leave a bitter taste in the mouth though, come on Jose do something !!!
I don't know about it, 95 points is still the greatest achievement in my opinion. That season changed the landscape of the league, Sir Alex changed our approach and instead of aiming to rack up the wins after Christmas, we had to absolutely win from the start of the season and that led to Sir Alex's approach towards squad rotation.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
No, it's not the "best ever" but Liverpool fans will make it out to be if they were to win.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Agree with this but I'd suggest it's the thread title that's getting a few posters' backs up, mine included.

Great achievement, yes. Best ever? For feck sake.
It is a question. Not a statement. Besides I wanted to titillate the Liverpool fans before they lose out on the title and end up with nothing from the season.