Will Liverpool's title success be the best ever?

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Hypothetically speaking of course and in the Premier League era. 7th to 1st in the era of sugar daddies is mighty impressive hot dang it!

Kag

It would be an incredible achievement, to be fair. That squad has no right to be where it is, but Rodgers has them purring. Best football in the league, too. Wankers.

Ludens the Red

It's going to be impressive but it's not as if Liverpool have free transferred their way to this point

Mignolet 9 million
Johnson - 18 million
Allen - 15 million
Henderson - 20 million
Suarez - 23 million
Sturridge - 12 million
Coutinho - 9 million

Also the Carroll/Downing business.

REDMULLERS

Do think lack of European football has helped but...yep have to admit it's pretty damned impressive style of football. Maintain, maybe through red tinted glasses that man for man our squad is as good if not better but there's the rub, it's all about the plan, something under Moyes we sorely lack.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
No club in the world has spent as much as them since 1990 without winning their league.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
They've spent more money over the last few years than we have so hardly. This narrative that they are plucky underdogs is just wrong. They've spent a fortune.
It is a tonne harder to spend to get to the top than it is spending to remain there.

SiRed

It's going to be impressive but it's not as if Liverpool have free transferred their way to this point

Mignolet 9 million
Johnson - 18 million
Allen - 15 million
Henderson - 20 million
Suarez - 23 million
Sturridge - 12 million
Coutinho - 9 million

Also the Carroll/Downing business.
I think they overspent on most players but Suarez Sturridge and Cuntinho have been signed and are absolute bargains.

Varun

Staff
In recent times, yes. It'd be quite an achievement if they pull if off. Shows how much of an impact a manager can have on a team. That squad of players shouldnt be in the CL places, let alone winning the league.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
I think they overspent on most players but Suarez Sturridge and Cuntinho have been signed and are absolute bargains.
I don't regret spending the amounts we did on any of those players. All of them will/have/are proving that they are worth what we spent.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Tough one.. They couldn't have done it had they been in Europe for sure. And it's taken no Fergie, new managers at Chelsea & City and a lot of money to get there.

Still; they've played great football and have done it playing both young and British players so fair play to them.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
In recent times, yes. It'd be quite an achievement if they pull if off. Shows how much of an impact a manager can have on a team. That squad of players shouldnt be in the CL places, let alone winning the league.
Rodgers can claim his performance as manager was one of the best. But as a club Liverpool put themselves in a ridiculous position given their resources. They wasted fortunes over the years on the wrong players.

Varun

Staff
Tough one.. They couldn't have done it had they been in Europe for sure. And it's taken no Fergie, new managers at Chelsea & City and a lot of money to get there.

Still; they've played great football and have done it playing both young and British players so fair play to them.
Huh? Lot of money on what? I dont see anyone in that starting 11 that they've paid outrageously to get.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
In terms of where they were 1 year ago to now, yes. In the context of how many times they've been close and the amount they've spent on rebuilding team after team without being successful domestically...no.

But for them to go from 7th to 1st without spending a a huge amount. Using their January signings from last year who look like bargains now as well as getting the best from Henderson and Sterling, I think it's remarkable. They missed out of Mhiktaryan, Konoplyanka, Salah and they tried to get Costa too. They could've had an even better squad if two of those four arrived.

Winrar

Even if Liverpool don't win the league this season it'll still be viewed as a fairly successful season. Rodgers has been embedding his philosophy last season and now reaping the rewards this season with results.

Varun

Staff
Rodgers can claim his performance as manager was one of the best. But as a club Liverpool put themselves in a ridiculous position given their resources. They wasted fortunes over the years on the wrong players.
Yep, they've bought poorly of late and that had a lot to do with the clueless managers they got. Scary prospect.

Varun

Staff
Even if Liverpool don't win the league this season it'll still be viewed as a fairly successful season. Rodgers has been embedding his philosophy last season and now reaping the rewards this season with results.
No one will remember it if they dont win.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
As much as I'd hate to see them win it, it would be good for the league if they win it. Terrible for us, but to not see a sugar-daddy or us win it, when last season they were not even close to the top 4 - it's quite an achievement to be where they are right now.

Even if they don't win the league, this season has been huge for them and to get CL football back will do wonders for their club.

Detest them, but no one can deny that they don't deserve to be where they are from the way they've played this season. I had no idea the amount they have spent, as I was close to bringing up the argument that "Liverpool winning shows you can win the league without spending millions upon millions". Would be quite incredible if they and Athletico Madrid win PL and La Liga, from a footballing sense.

Still, you have to hand it to Rodgers. Some of the signings he has made have been quality, and to pick up the talents he has without European football only gives me hope that we can do the same next season.

I feel dirty showing this much admiration for them, but yeah - credit where credits due.

Still hope Chelsea wins the league over them or City.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
They've spent more money over the last few years than we have so hardly. This narrative that they are plucky underdogs is just wrong. They've spent a fortune.
The most expensive player in their team cost around half the amount that Mata, Ozil, Aguero and Torres cost. At City you have Silva, Nasri, Lescott, Toure, Aguero, Dzeko and Fernandinho who all cost more than Suárez and the same for Luiz, Oscar, Willian, Hazard and Torres. It's an incredible achievement for their squad to be where it is right now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Best ever, my hole.

That should be reserved for a team with a record points total, an undefeated campaign or winning the league along with one or more cup competitions.

It will be a standard league win, made unusual by their lack of involvement in any other competitions from very early on in the campaign.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Erm, in a word, no. That would be us in 1999 considering we held off a great Arsenal side as well as winning the FA Cup and CL.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Huh? Lot of money on what? I dont see anyone in that starting 11 that they've paid outrageously to get.
Surely all that matters is how much the club have spent in general - rather than just on the first team? With the money they've spent, should we be surprised they're challenging? Not at all - they should have been every season.

If Fellaini stops getting into United's team under Moyes, do we just ignore the money that Moyes spent on him and only consider the money spent on the players playing?

Anyway, I admire their football a lot and also the amount of British and young talent they're fielding. It's great to see.

I definitely think that it's relevant that they haven't been in Europe though. I don't think they could have done it if you had - they've benefited this year from under performing in past seasons.

SiRed

I don't regret spending the amounts we did on any of those players. All of them will/have/are proving that they are worth what we spent.
20 mil on Henderson currently isnt great business. He has only had 6 months of good form but dont get me wrong is he carries on this way then yes. Money well spent.
18 on Johnson is a bit ridiculous and then over 50 mil on Carroll and Downing is extortionate.

I suppose all teams have there far share of wasted money. We are in no position to judge right now :)

Winrar

No one will remember it if they dont win.
Remember that there weren't a lot of expectations for Liverpool at the beginning of the season, they've arguably exceeded their goal this season even if they didn't win it.

And who's to say they can't continue this run into the next season. Only thing that'll hinder them will probably be the congestion from added European schedule, but if Liverpool stick with Rodgers I don't see them struggling for too long.

Now I think "best ever" is an exaggeration, but it'll be a deserved one nonetheless if Liverpool goes on to win it.

Hitchcocker

Read the OP, guys. It's not suggesting they are the best ever side but the best ever "story" to a PL success which is quite possible. An underdog slipstreaming to the finish thanks to the heroics of Suarez who is top scorer in spite of missing the first quarter of the season or so.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
20 mil on Henderson currently isnt great business. He has only had 6 months of good form but dont get me wrong is he carries on this way then yes. Money well spent.
18 on Johnson is a bit ridiculous and then over 50 mil on Carroll and Downing is extortionate.

I suppose all teams have there far share of wasted money. We are in no position to judge right now :)
it was 16m on Henderson and he has had 18 months of good form.

Johnson has been worth the fee.

Downing and Carroll were silly. Thank god for fat sam.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool

Henderson cost £16m. And it's a myth that he's only been good for this season. He's been good for over a year now, it's just that Sky and co. Have only begun to point it out this year.

£18m on Johnson was done because Portsmouth owed us quite a bit of money. He's been a good player for us too. In every season bar this one, he's consistently been one of the best four or five right backs in the league.

Varun

Staff
Surely all that matters is how much the club have spent in general - rather than just on the first team? With the money they've spent, should we be surprised they're challenging? Not at all - they should have been every season.

If Fellaini stops getting into United's team under Moyes, do we just ignore the money that Moyes spent on him and only consider the money spent on the players playing?

Anyway, I admire their football a lot and also the amount of British and young talent they're fielding. It's great to see.

I definitely think that it's relevant that they haven't been in Europe though. I don't think they could have done it if you had - they've benefited this year from under performing in past seasons.
I'm not denying that they've spent but the reason for their success and the players responsible for it arent the ones they paid a lot of money for which is why I didnt agree with the original post citing money as a factor.

Remember that there weren't a lot of expectations for Liverpool at the beginning of the season, they've arguably exceeded their goal this season even if they didn't win it.

And who's to say they can't continue this run into the next season. Only thing that'll hinder them will probably be the congestion from added European schedule, but if Liverpool stick with Rodgers I don't see them struggling for too long.

Now I think "best ever" is an exaggeration, but it'll be a deserved one nonetheless if Liverpool goes on to win it.
what am saying is, if they win it, this will be remembered as a great title win. If they come 2nd, it'l be forgotten. Nothing more, nothing else. If they win it next season, that season will be remembered. History books dont remember a valiant title attempt that resulted in no trophies in the end.

Winrar

what am saying is, if they win it, this will be remembered as a great title win. If they come 2nd, it'l be forgotten. Nothing more, nothing else. If they win it next season, that season will be remembered. History books dont remember a valiant title attempt that resulted in no trophies in the end.
I see your point.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Why is this even a question on a Manchester United forum? I don't want to come over as a prize tool (though my frustration at Liverpool's success sorta makes me not care much right now) but why are we going out of our way to big them up?

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan
Are you sure about that? You have spent an awful lot over the last couple of years on transfers; Mata, Fellani, DDG, RVP, Zaha, Young, thats almost £140m.

Thisistheone

Nothing will top our title in 1999 IMO.

But it will be an incredible achievement.