Will Liverpool's title success be the best ever?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
If they win the league then it'll be the most impressive win in PL history and Suárez's season will have been the best individual performance in PL history, I reckon. And they're playing the most impressive attacking football since us in 06/07 and perhaps even longer.
Absolute pony I'm afraid. Us in 99, arsenals unbeaten season, any season where the league winner has also won a cup are all more impressive achievements.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
This is why -
Just think on this a bit...

1950-60s, United dominated the English game with busby. Legend leaves...

1970-1980s, Shanky and Paisley make liverpool dominate the English game. Legends leave...

Along comes ferguson. 1990-2013 United dominated the English game. Legend leaves...

What's the logical outcome?
If you are implying that Liverpool will dominate for at least 10 year now then no, thats not the logical outcome.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Because we had the better first 11 and manager.
Manager? He finished behind Everton with a better squad last season.

You thought you had a better defense? And you foresaw that Sturridge and Suarez will have the season of their lives?

Are you a clairvoyant? Can you give me the lottery numbers?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I think they overspent on most players but Suarez Sturridge and Cuntinho have been signed and are absolute bargains.
If those players win the league each will represent money well spent.

Take Henderson - you'd struggle to buy a PL-suitable player as good as him for £20m based on how the current market operates.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Knew someone would pick up on that :lol:

When people dont want Liverpool to win it seems to be mostly about "they are our rivals", "dont want them to get closer to our league win record" etc. Its a small time thing to care about. Not wanting City, Chelsea and other sugar daddy clubs winning is about the bigger scale of things. When clubs like that get success it leaves a sour taste in the mouth because they only got there because of an outside influence that has nothign to do with doing the right things on and off the pitch. Liverpool have gotten the relative success they are seeing on the pitch right now the right way, and its an inspiration to clubs who dont have a sugar daddy.
Assuming those clubs can spend near sugar daddy values of money as well.......they are hardly the paupers they are being made out to be, they have spent plenty

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Assuming those clubs can spend near sugar daddy values of money as well.......they are hardly the paupers they are being made out to be, they have spent plenty
As have we. But we like to see ourselves as more rightful contenders for the title, and rightly so. All clubs spend, but its a large difference between the money clubs like ourselves, Arsenal and Liverpool spend and what we see from jokes like Chelsea, City and PSG.

I also think its unfair on Rodgers to talk about purchases like Downing and Carroll when judging his spending / success ratio.

Snipers Breath

Manager? He finished behind Everton with a better squad last season.

You thought you had a better defense? And you foresaw that Sturridge and Suarez will have the season of their lives?

Are you a clairvoyant? Can you give me the lottery numbers?
This is the problem, it seems like many of you ignored our form from January onwards, or assumed it was just a blip. W'eve been in this type of form for a year now, i've rated Rodgers since he was at Swansea, because unlike Moyes he has always played expansive progressive football, if you had asked me who was a better manager out of him and Moyes at the start of the season i would have said Rodgers.

Also again Sturridge had been great since January, and i've been watching him for a long time, so yes i did predict him to have a season like this, Suarez is Suarez, he was the best player in the league the season before.

I think its more you being totally unaware of what was going on at our club, or choosing to ignore it, rather than me being clairvoyant.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
As have we. But we like to see ourselves as more rightful contenders for the title, and rightly so. All clubs spend, but its a large difference between the money clubs like ourselves, Arsenal and Liverpool spend and what we see from jokes like Chelsea, City and PSG.

I also think its unfair on Rodgers to talk about purchases like Downing and Carroll when judging his spending / success ratio.
We aren't talking about Rodgers though, we are talking about if the skip lickers win the pl this season(which they won't) is it the most impressive ever (which it isn't)

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
This is the problem, it seems like many of you ignored our form from January onwards, or assumed it was just a blip. W'eve been in this type of form for a year now, i've rated Rodgers since he was at Swansea, because unlike Moyes he has always played expansive progressive football, if you had asked me who was a better manager out of him and Moyes at the start of the season i would have said Rodgers.

Also again Sturridge had been great since January, and i've been watching him for a long time, so yes i did predict him to have a season like this, Suarez is Suarez, he was the best player in the league the season before.

I think its more you being totally unaware of what was going on at our club, or choosing to ignore it, rather than me being clairvoyant.
Rvp was better than Suarez last season, aguero and yay toure were better than him the season before as was rvp again.

Shinjisan

His football was dull and boring at Swansea. All possession with very little going forward. It was the same at Liverpool for a better part of last season.

Cherish the two strikers performances all you can this season. Those things don't happen with regularity.

Hindsight is always 20/20. You guys are on top, so you can twist the argument whichever way you like. I can't take that away from you. I would love to read some of your bullish posts from before the start of the season.

bonusroller

Didnt Leeds go from sinners of Division 2 to winners of the old Division 1 in one season? That was probably a bigger achievement.
They were 4th in 91 before winning 92. They didn't spend huge sums so that is more impressive but the last of the Football League titles so outside the OP's remit.

Fair do's to them if they do make it to fend off the likes of City and Chelsea, especially missing Suarez for all those games. What would be more impressive is if they repeated it next year with Champions League football. Play it again Brendan.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Than the champions? At the start of the year I would've been delighted with a top 4 finish but wasn't certain at all we could displace any of the top 4 on paper. Uniteds fall has allowed this but I never saw it coming. You must be a rich man.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
They were 4th in 91 before winning 92. They didn't spend huge sums so that is more impressive but the last of the Football League titles so outside the OP's remit.

Fair do's to them if they do make it to fend off the likes of City and Chelsea, especially missing Suarez for all those games. What would be more impressive is if they repeated it next year with Champions League football. Play it again Brendan.
Oh right I thought they came straight up and won it. Memory flail.

Shinjisan

Than the champions? At the start of the year I would've been delighted with a top 4 finish but wasn't certain at all we could displace any of the top 4 on paper. Uniteds fall has allowed this but I never saw it coming. You must be a rich man.
Exactly.

That is why you are The best Liverpool poster on this board. And one of my favourite opposition posters on here.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Surely the real question is 'Do we have enough Merseyside based threads on the homepage?"

I thought I had wandered into an odd new subforum.

Clowns.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Exactly.

That is why you are The best Liverpool poster on this board. And one of my favourite opposition posters on here.
Just think some of the Liverpool fans are getting a bit carried away. Nothing won yet. We have momentum but just look what happened to Chelsea at Palace. Anything can happen. I'm just delighted we're in with a shout and the brand of football we're playing. It's great to watch/listen to.

Snipers Breath

A lot of people saw it coming, they had glaring weaknesses in midfield that was covered by the genius of Fergie and RVP, i never rated Moyes as well so i saw us finishing higher than them give our form from January onwards.

Obviously didnt see them doing as bad as they have done.

thepolice123

No. They definitely need another season of the same with CL football. If any, I think A.Madrid's achievements has better than them this season.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
A lot of people saw it coming, they had glaring weaknesses in midfield that was covered by the genius of Fergie and RVP, i never rated Moyes as well so i saw us finishing higher than them give our form from January onwards.

Obviously didnt see them doing as bad as they have done.
So just to clarify your hand on heart honest opinion on Liverpool was that they would be top 4 this year? You must be massively optimistic.
Last year Carrick was one of the premiere leagues best players. They have massively underachieved and all would agree but the one thing united have been over the years is consistent. I would expect a bounce back and I wouldnt be writing their epitaph yet.
Next year it will be a very important one for Liverpool. If we win the league can we follow on that with more success or if not can we build on this great season and mount title challenges for the next few years. Either way it's a huge year.

Shinjisan

No. They definitely need another season of the same with CL football. If any, I think A.Madrid's achievements has better than them this season.
I don't think either are achievements just as yet. Although I think Liverpool have a better chance at the title than Atletico.

Last edited:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
From promotion to Champions

Liverpool 1905
Everton 1931
Spurs 1950
Ipswich 1961
Notts Forest 1977.

Amazingly all of the above retained the title.

Snipers Breath

So just to clarify your hand on heart honest opinion on Liverpool was that they would be top 4 this year? You must be massively optimistic.
Last year Carrick was one of the premiere leagues best players. They have massively underachieved and all would agree but the one thing united have been over the years is consistent. I would expect a bounce back and I wouldnt be writing their epitaph yet.
Next year it will be a very important one for Liverpool. If we win the league can we follow on that with more success or if not can we build on this great season and mount title challenges for the next few years. Either way it's a huge year.
Hand on heart i did, i expected them to be in the race for 4th with us and Spurs.

I'm not writing them off either i think thwy will be back next year provided they get rid of Moyes.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Hand on heart i did, i expected them to be in the race for 4th with us and Spurs.

I'm not writing them off either i think thwy will be back next year provided they get rid of Moyes.
I think that's inevitable now.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Best in recent times.

Liverpool don't often win major titles (these days)... But when they do they do it very excitingly.

Gazza

Liverpool remind me of United in 2006/07, the way the signs of a good team materialized in the second half of the previous season, and then the sense of adventure and playing without expectations or pressure that made them great to watch, the way individuals stepped up their work (Evra, Vidic, Carrick, Saha) and even the regeneration of an older player in Scholes/Gerrard. And of course an individual taking the league by storm (Ronaldo -> Suarez).

TR1985

At the start of the season you would not have thought that, you would have been twitching about Suarez leaving / being out for start of season, having a squad that finished with just 62 points last year (Even we might beat that this year! and a manager that for large parts of last season a lot of your fans wanted out.

So no, this is not what you would have thought at the start of the season, 3 months in , maybe.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Liverpool remind me of United in 2006/07, the way the signs of a good team materialized in the second half of the previous season, and then the sense of adventure and playing without expectations or pressure that made them great to watch, the way individuals stepped up their work (Evra, Vidic, Carrick, Saha) and even the regeneration of an older player in Scholes/Gerrard. And of course an individual taking the league by storm (Ronaldo -> Suarez).
Yeap. Except in our case, we were also involved in CL and reached the semis. Not to mention also made the FA cup final! The lack of squad depth that season cost us that season, we were close to throwing away the league as well. Liverpool have been lucky in that sense. Was no surprise we beefed up our squad next season with 4 new players

Mister Ed

They have really taken our place, haven't they. Hopefully only for this year, but seeing as things are now could be for a longer while.

Liverpool have been very impressive, it might indeed be one of the most impressive title wins in a long while. The counterpart is our demise has been the most impressive aswell, I have seen no team fall that low so fast. Painfull shit, seems like all the when Fergie is gone, your time will be over bullshiters were spot on all these years.

thepolice123

Blackburn won the PL in the midst of our dominance as well didn't they? Look where they are now.

Liverpool crashed out early in the league cup and by February was only playing for the league. Their fixtures has hardly been grueling. A.Madrid were challenging on all 3 fronts for the majority of the season and they are in the CL semis on the verge of breaking the Real-Barca strangehold. If both of them win the league, its pretty obvious which is the better achievement isn't it?

Blasphemy

I think Suarez's performance this year is the best any players ever played in a Premier League season, never seen a player so single handedly carry a side so low on quality elsewhere to a title. He scores or plays a key part in almost every goal they've scored this season. Ridiculously good player.

Snipers Breath

At the start of the season you would not have thought that, you would have been twitching about Suarez leaving / being out for start of season, having a squad that finished with just 62 points last year (Even we might beat that this year! and a manager that for large parts of last season a lot of your fans wanted out.

So no, this is not what you would have thought at the start of the season, 3 months in , maybe.
Look at the form we had in the last six months of last season, i was expecting us to be involved in the fight for 4th place.

Hardly anyone wanted him out last season, don't see what made you come to that conclusion.