Will Moyes be hounded out?

Platato

Psst!
I don't think the fans will be particularly different to the fans of other clubs tbh. You guys have been living in a managerial bubble for most of the past 3 decades, where speculation about the manager's performance was almost unimaginable.

Even if Ferguson put in a poor game tactics/ selection wise or perhaps even a season or two where he went by without winning something, he could always fall back on his past record as evidence of why he should have faith kept in him. Even despite this, there was a bit of dissent around 2003 (I can't remember how many people wanted him gone, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say it was a small vocal minority)

Moyes though? If he doesn't start off that well or in his first season or two doesn't win a trophy, do you genuinely believe the fans, especially the younger ones who have known nothing but domination will quietly put up with that? He doesn't have the past winning record of SAF to fall back on.

I'll be very interested to see the fans' reactions if you don't play well for a sustained period/ go through a poor run of form/ don't win a trophy for a season or two.
As will I mate. I fear some of these kids will throw their toys out of the pram. To be honest, Sir Alex and Sir Bobby are the major factors in keeping everything together at the club. They are the spearheads and basically the glue that makes everything work. When their presence is no more, I really fear for our club. It does not take much to undo someone's hard work unfortunately and who knows how United will be in the next 10 years.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
As will I mate. I fear some of these kids will throw their toys out of the pram. To be honest, Sir Alex and Sir Bobby are the major factors in keeping everything together at the club. They are the spearheads and basically the glue that makes everything work. When their presence is no more, I really fear for our club. It does not take much to undo someone's hard work unfortunately and who knows how United will be in the next 10 years.
I agree. Those who are 26 and under will no doubt start asking for his head should we go on a bad run. This is the problem when you have a long-term manager. I started to support Manchester United at the time Ron Atkinson signed Robbo, and to be honest, we were ok, not brilliant, but ok. We didn't really have the big-name players and Liverpool were forever dominating the league but I have always stuck by them no matter what. Should the younger generation be calling for Moyes's head then, it will be a case of the "spoilt brat", syndrome, and then they will go on to support someone else.

Platato

Psst!
I'd imagine he'll be supported from the get go by the fans, but depending on results that can change.I think the biggest scrutiny will come from the media, who are already salivating at the thought of him failing so they have something to rant about.

I do wonder how patient the Glazers will be with him though. United has become their cash cow and probably won't give a guy whose unproven very long if he's not successful within a couple of years.
Can you point to me where this is happening? Havent seen anything like you've mentioned.

Platato

Psst!
Not saying they want him to fail but what constitutes a failure will be a lot less for those with the minds made up.
It's very possible we'll lose a good number of fans if things go tits up.

OneUnited24

Can you point to me where this is happening? Havent seen anything like you've mentioned.
They will, right now its been about the career of SAF. I fully expect things to go sour quick if he doesn't get off to a good start.

The media like to see United do badly and be talk about it. Just see how they turned on De Gea

Platato

Psst!
I agree. Those who are 26 and under will no doubt start asking for his head should we go on a bad run. This is the problem when you have a long-term manager. I started to support Manchester United at the time Ron Atkinson signed Robbo, and to be honest, we were ok, not brilliant, but ok. We didn't really have the big-name players and Liverpool were forever dominating the league but I have always stuck by them no matter what. Should the younger generation be calling for Moyes's head then, it will be a case of the "spoilt brat", syndrome, and then they will go on to support someone else.
Definitely. As I said earlier, I do not know how we will be in 10 years. If it's how I expect it, then it's going to be disappointing for some. Basically, I think we'll find out who's here for the duration. I'm having a bit of trouble expressing my concerns but when some of these fans have only known success, it might be hard to accept years of mediocrity. If such a thing happens, I think we'll find out who was in it for their success. There'll be no criticism from me. I know some fans who are like that. Their thrill as a football fan is going from one successful club to another. It's their modus operandi. Not sure how they make it work but they do.

Once Sir Alex is gone, I fear for the worst. Until we bring someone in on an executive level who can somewhat continue his vision, I'll be less concerned. We'll see when we get there. For now, the focus is now on Moyes.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The media have been more supportive than the fans!

He's automatically taken over from Redknapp as their great hope for British managers. They need him and he'll be given their absolute backing.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Definitely. As I said earlier, I do not know how we will be in 10 years. If it's how I expect it, then it's going to be disappointing for some. Basically, I think we'll find out who's here for the duration. I'm having a bit of trouble expressing my concerns but when some of these fans have only known success, it might be hard to accept years of mediocrity. If such a thing happens, I think we'll find out who was in it for their success. There'll be no criticism from me. I know some fans who are like that. Their thrill as a football fan is going from one successful club to another. It's their modus operandi. Not sure how they make it work but they do.

Once Sir Alex is gone, I fear for the worst. Until we bring someone in on an executive level who can somewhat continue his vision, I'll be less concerned. We'll see when we get there. For now, the focus is now on Moyes.
I think this can be overstated.

I agree there's very little chance of our enjoying success at the level we've known it since the nineties, that's for sure. There are now two sugar-daddy clubs, as well as the other competition, and without Fergie it just doesn't seem plausible that we'll keep winning the league every other year.

On the other hand, it's a money game now, and barring absolute catastrophe it seems likely we'll stay too well-funded to drop into 'mediocrity' in the medium-term. Of course, long-term who can say? There might be more sugar-daddies etc. But for the moment I think we're nailed on for the CL places most years.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We should give him the support we given De Gea all along.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
A mediocre plodder, what the feck is Wenger?

Not going to happen mate, he has a fantastic team base to work with, Ferguson to give him advice, you sad fecker!
Come on peter, for some reason the newbies like you, I'm now going to make you look like a total twat. fecking hell, I've probably not really been in this forum for five years, but now I'm going to take you and your nonsense on.

Let's go!
Come on you fat cockney twat!
:lol: I love how Weaste went from fairly calm, to completely ready for war in the space of 4 minutes.

EvilChuck

They will, right now its been about the career of SAF. I fully expect things to go sour quick if he doesn't get off to a good start.

The media like to see United do badly and be talk about it. Just see how they turned on De Gea
But at the same time, we should remind people that we had patience with De Gea, and in just his second season with the club he's been voted into the team of the year which isnt bad considering that 18 months ago he was a 'complete flop'. If we have some patience with Moyes, and assume that he will need time to adjust to playing sat-wed every week, we have seen enough from him as a manager to know he can get the best out of the players, and once he does adjust then we could have a manager who could last for another 20 years of domination at the club

OneUnited24

But at the same time, we should remind people that we had patience with De Gea, and in just his second season with the club he's been voted into the team of the year which isnt bad considering that 18 months ago he was a 'complete flop'. If we have some patience with Moyes, and assume that he will need time to adjust to playing sat-wed every week, we have seen enough from him as a manager to know he can get the best out of the players, and once he does adjust then we could have a manager who could last for another 20 years of domination at the club
Oh I agree and think as fans a majority of us will remain patience (I don't think the younger ones will) but I don't expect the media to have the same patience

wonnie

I think if he shows promise, be it through transfers, team selections, or tactics that will buy him sometime regardless of results. I mean we can probably afford to finish 2nd or 3rd in the league next season. But in the hypothetical that we don't win the league for the second season running than questions will be asked.

Moriarty

I hope the lessons of history have been well learned. I'm pretty certain that Bobby Charlton remembers what happened when Busby called it quits with something akin to horror.

I refuse to believe that Moyes' appointment is anything else than the coming to fruition of a long planned event. Everything is in place at United to allow a seamless transition and continued success on the field. The infrastructure, especially the Academy, has been built from the ground up by Fergie and it's a very solid structure. When Busby left, the team was creaking with age and was carried through games by the skill of Charlton and the genius of Best. The youth system was producing the odd gem (McIlroy) but it fell into disrepair when Atkinson took over, though it did produce Whiteside at that time.

I agree with you about the influence of Charlton and Fergie. They're the links to the past and the ones who will ensure that traditions are maintained. It's up to Moyes to build on that and that will be the toughest part of the job.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Oh I agree and think as fans a majority of us will remain patience (I don't think the younger ones will) but I don't expect the media to have the same patience
Of course, it's just the younger fans who might lose patience. None of the older fans ever act like spastics. Sure they never criticised SAF either did they? :rolleyes:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think if he shows promise, be it through transfers, team selections, or tactics that will buy him sometime regardless of results. I mean we can probably afford to finish 2nd or 3rd in the league next season. But in the hypothetical that we don't win the league for the second season running than questions will be asked.
Yep, if he seems to be doing things right in terms of transfers, ambition, style of play, tactics and the way he handles the pressure, then I'll have no problem with 3rd place. At the same time, how often have we disagreed with SAF in terms of transfers, tactics, team selection etc.? I think it's inevitable Moyes will have doubters and criticism until he has success here, that's just the way football works. Fans can be idiots and our fans are no different from any others. Still, the majority will be fair to Moyes, I think.

Platato

Psst!
I hope the lessons of history have been well learned. I'm pretty certain that Bobby Charlton remembers what happened when Busby called it quits with something akin to horror.

I refuse to believe that Moyes' appointment is anything else than the coming to fruition of a long planned event. Everything is in place at United to allow a seamless transition and continued success on the field. The infrastructure, especially the Academy, has been built from the ground up by Fergie and it's a very solid structure. When Busby left, the team was creaking with age and was carried through games by the skill of Charlton and the genius of Best. The youth system was producing the odd gem (McIlroy) but it fell into disrepair when Atkinson took over, though it did produce Whiteside at that time.

I agree with you about the influence of Charlton and Fergie. They're the links to the past and the ones who will ensure that traditions are maintained. It's up to Moyes to build on that and that will be the toughest part of the job.
Aye, the two situations aren't quite so synonymous. It'll be more interesting to me to see how we fare once those two are gone. Glad you understand my perspective

OneUnited24

Of course, it's just the younger fans who might lose patience. None of the older fans ever act like spastics. Sure they never criticised SAF either did they? :rolleyes:
Oh don't give me that, as a fan base a lot of our younger fans (and I include myself in that bracket) haven't experienced a prolonged period of little or no success. And I can wager when things get bad it will be the ones who are used to success that will be the most vocal or they were back in 2006

redpie

Wenger has gone 7 years without a trophy but he stays in a job because of Champions League qualification season after season.
Finishing out of the top four is more dangerous to Moyes' longevity at United than not winning something.

Andrew~

Wenger has gone 7 years without a trophy but he stays in a job because of Champions League qualification season after season.
Finishing out of the top four is more dangerous to Moyes' longevity at United than not winning something.
Wenger works for Arsenal...

The Neviller

I've been vocal about not believing Moyes was the man to take us forward, but Fergie was right in his speech, we need to get behind our new manager. There will be no negativity from me on this.

Welcome to the club David, you've a tough act to follow, a class act, but you'll have the support of the best supporters and biggest club in the world.