Will Ole last beyond his next 3 games?

NJM78

I really hope not but fear he wil be, even if we lose all three games.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You have to be sensationally sh!t to get relegated, lose perhaps 20-25 games.

We'll lose plenty, but nowhere near enough.

el3mel

Well we didn't get relegated under Moyes either did we?
At that moment no one was thinking United will ever finish outside top 4 never mind finishing 7th. Now it's the standard. I'm saying it just always just like that then suddenly the unbelievable becomes suddenly a reality. There's nothing preventing us from finishing 10th or below this season on our form, which has been extending since last season regardless of who's playing. We're just refusing it because it seems madness, but on paper, yeah it can happen as long as we have Ole in charge.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
At that moment no one was thinking United will ever finish outside top 4 never mind finishing 7th. Now it's the standard. I'm saying it just always just like that then suddenly the unbelievable becomes suddenly a reality. There's nothing preventing us from finishing 10th or below this season on our form, which has been extending since last season regardless of who's playing. We're just refusing it because it seems madness, but on paper, yeah it can happen as long as we have Ole in charge.
Obviously not, but I just don't see us being that bad.

Yes we aren't playing the most fluently right now, but a team without Shaw, AWB, Pogba, Martial is a big difference. Nobody was worrying about relegation after the Chelsea match, it's just people being panicky and silly.

We will get over this bad patch and with a change of luck and some confidence IMO we will go back on a better run. I'll be absolutely shocked if we get anywhere near the bottom of the table.

arthurka

Ed will make another lazy appointment, probably the next free big name without having any plan or idea why that and that guy.
Yes that´s exactly the scenario I fear, nothing good will come from this. Just as with Ole hiring him because he did well was worse than having a plan in motion and getting the best guy available for the job. But to continue with a choice that was wrong in the first place is probably the worst idea I have heard in a long time and having him as a focus of a huge rebuild is beyond idiotic.

el3mel

Obviously not, but I just don't see us being that bad.

Yes we aren't playing the most fluently right now, but a team without Shaw, AWB, Pogba, Martial is a big difference. Nobody was worrying about relegation after the Chelsea match, it's just people being panicky and silly.

We will get over this bad patch and with a change of luck and some confidence IMO we will go back on a better run. I'll be absolutely shocked if we get anywhere near the bottom of the table.
People were already complaining after we ended up with 5 points out of our first 4 matches and by this time we weren't missing ,any players. It's not like we were on great run prior to these injuries.

Adam-Utd

People were already complaining after we ended up with 5 points out of our first 4 matches and by this time we weren't missing ,any players. It's not like we were on great run prior to these injuries.
We bossed Wolves and should have won, 1 lapse of concentration let us down.

Southampton the same.

Palace was the real turning point, a poor performance with some bad finishing.

A good win over Leicester, followed by an average one against Arsenal (could have won if Mctominay made it 2-0 with the header)

A poor performance at Newcastle.

Our 2nd string is clearly not good enough and we will struggle without Pogba and Martial every time, but we can't be playing much worse and we've still been close to winning most of them.

Let's just see how it goes.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Liverpool (H)
Norwich (A)
Bournemouth (A)

Currently 2 points above relegation and 5 points from top 4. The other contenders have fixtures where 7-9 points is conceivable for them, Where's 1-4 points is more conceivable for us.

Is the line drawn then? Or do you think he will be given more time?

I don't enjoy entertaining the idea that a legend will be sacked but at this stage, it seems a matter of when rather than if. Would love him to go on a run but I don't see how, even if I try.
Those aren't our next 3 games though, we've got away games in Belgrade and at Chelsea as well. When you factor those in as well as the 3 league games it makes well grim reading

el3mel

We bossed Wolves and should have won, 1 lapse of concentration let us down.

Southampton the same.

Palace was the real turning point, a poor performance with some bad finishing.

A good win over Leicester, followed by an average one against Arsenal (could have won if Mctominay made it 2-0 with the header)

A poor performance at Newcastle.

Our 2nd string is clearly not good enough and we will struggle without Pogba and Martial every time, but we can't be playing much worse and we've still been close to winning most of them.

Let's just see how it goes.
We didn't boss anyone actually even Chelsea themselves we didn't boss them.

We didn't create much against Wolves once they scored to get the win bar the pen. Same for Southampton, did nothing after they equalized.

Palace game was with our entire full lineup and Hodgson outplayed Ole on our own turf.

He was also outplayed by Bruce with a Newcastle side who was in 19th position prior to our match. Can't believe our players are worse than such side even with injuries eh ?

Defeated Leicester by a pen in early minutes and the rest of the game was a borefeast.

That's without breaking down our goals and how the majority of them are either individual skills or pens with hardly any teammplay goals there.

We have been poor with or without injuries. Of course no one knows what will happen next but I'll be the one who will get shocked if everything improve with just Martial or Pogba returning. The team's problems are far bigger than one player missing. Our tactics and play style are non existent.

MisterLupus

I sure hope he will. I also believe it'll be Christmas time at the soonest before any panicked sacking might occur - if indeed it becomes necessary. I doubt very much they even have a contingency plan is place at this time.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Those aren't our next 3 games though, we've got away games in Belgrade and at Chelsea as well. When you factor those in as well as the 3 league games it makes well grim reading
I'm referencing league games yeah. Chelsea will be worse!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
There's no chance he's getting sacked in the near future....

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
The board only signed him up on a long term deal 7 months ago. For them to admit a colossal error in choosing Ole after such a short time is resignation territory. These people have enormous egos and admitting to such a cock up is highly unlikely after such a short period. They would rather rewrite history and say it was always going to be a long term plan and the club is in transition. The shareholders will be watching the board very carefully and sacking yet another manager in quick succession isn't a good sign and could have a negative impact on the share price which has been on the slide for a year now. Sacking Ole right now is like the board admitting they haven't worked out how to stop the slide. It could be argued that sacking the manager would be a good move for the team but the reality is the boards management of the club must come under closer scrutiny at some point. They can't continue to sack managers,miss out on champions league football and lose decent sponsorship deals for ever. At some point the shareholders will want change.

I think the board will continue to back Ole as long as relegation is unlikely, which it still is, but the Glazers may start to look to restructure before the season is out.

MisterLupus

Well if we're within striking range of relegation come Christmas - I too will flip and want him replaced. And I might either overestimate myself here or (more likely) underestimate certain members of our board - but I doubt very much Woodward and pals have a more staunch approach to coping with hardships than I do (and they definitely have way more to lose). If he can't at least stabilize this vessel - keep her from sinking even further - my guess is even the upper class passengers will turn on it's captain.

Adam-Utd

The team's problems are far bigger than one player missing. Our tactics and play style are non existent.
I'm not denying this, and things do need to get a lot better.

But the 2nd string is just nowhere near talented enough. Until we can improve players nothing will happen.

Resch

If you want to replace him, you have not much time left. A new coach will need some time before the transferwindow, December is a busy month with too many matches. So the board has to decide after 3 to 5 matches ....

Adam-Utd

Fair then.
Even if I did think Ole needs to go (i'm still on the fence) who else could we get? i'm not convinced on Allegri but he seems the outstanding candidate that's available.

It just seems a bad time to make a quick decision.

el3mel

Even if I did think Ole needs to go (i'm still on the fence) who else could we get? i'm not convinced on Allegri but he seems the outstanding candidate that's available.

It just seems a bad time to make a quick decision.
I bet Poch will be available not long time from now too and we may tempt him with the idea if we start talking to him currently, he seems mentally checked out from Spurs, beside Allegri of course.

The 3 matches listed in the thread will determine Ole's fate I believe. If we ended up getting 1 or 2 points out of them we'll be in the first relegation spot or above it by one position for real. At least 6 points out of those 3 games to improve situation, either way, don't think he'll last beyond them, because it'll be very toxic around.

So for now, let's see what will happen. Nothing else we can do.

Havak

Pokemon master
It's so difficult for me to make my mind up. I think it's a big ask for him to stay if Ole doesn't get a Premier League victory from the next three League games. However, we have (on paper) a significantly easier time for the following five games (all competitions). Do the board persevere through this slightly tougher run whilst we're injury hit and give him the chance to get players back fit and win hit some form/momentum for the next set of fixtures throughout November? That's the discussion I think they'll be having. It'd be a slight kick in the teeth if, for example, we fail to beat Bournemouth after not winning any of the previous games either, but the new manager comes in and wins five on the spin. Ole could surely argue that he'd have done the same thing with an easier run of games.

I'm not saying this is gospel or anything, but it's at least a valid argument. It's probably the most likely scenario as well.

Mr angry

Supports
Bury
I can see possibly one or two points at best from the next three games. Can't see anything from Liverpool and possible draws at best at Norwich and Bournemouth.

Lee565

Yes he will be gone by then because we will only pick up just 1 point at best from those 3 games and there is no way Woodward is that dumb to think things were going to be so bad that we wouldnt be able to buy a win and sitting in the relegation zone come November.

eltigreFalcao

9 outta 9

#Olesatthewheel

On a serious note, these upcoming resuslts could prove determent on Ole's future, but I fear no sacking before the end of the season, unless we get stuck in relegation zone, something I really can't see happening. If Ole's head's meant to be chopped off, it'll wait until the end of the season, IMO

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Ed and the board have released our cup final single, their follow-up to We're Sending Our Love Down The Well. Look out for We're Kicking The Can Down The Road in the shops.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ah, we're eight games in. Thanks for reminding me. All this talk of relegation battles etc had me thinking we were further along.
Do you think we will be much better than a relegation battle after 12 games? That's a third into the season. Basically means we need results versus Norwich and Bournemouth away together with Potter's Brighton. All 3 of those sides can play us off the park.

Last edited:

Hawks2008

Really says it all that we're daunted by trips to Norwich and Bournemouth, no idea why he still has a job anyway.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's a long season, so, no, I don't think talking about a relegation battle is apt at this stage. It's much to early.
I don't just look at the stage of the season but also the level of performances (which stretches back to the close of last season, our team looks no different).

Even if you consider this season we've had 11 games now. We struggle to outperform so many mediocre teams. Our XG from open play is relegation form.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say it will get worse before slightly improving. We have enough quality to avoid any dogfight in the bottom but I don't think we're any better than Bournemouth, West Ham or Wolves let alone Chelsea Arsenal or Spurs.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Whilst I think we'll lose the next three league games (and be knocked-out of the league cup), I don't think he will be sacked after them - I think there's one more international break coming-up this calendar year, so that might be the likelier time-frame I'd think, but I'm not at all sure that would happen either.

I think he's here at least until the January window whatever happens.

SaintMuppet

With this squad it really does not matter who is the manager. Pep, Poch dammit even Fergie would have trouble squeezing much out of them.

it’s sh1t followed by sh1t followed by sh1t every game. This will continue until the club has a whole new management structure from owners down.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Whilst I think we'll lose the next three league games (and be knocked-out of the league cup), I don't think he will be sacked after them - I think there's one more international break coming-up this calendar year, so that might be the likelier time-frame I'd think, but I'm not at all sure that would happen either.

I think he's here at least until the January window whatever happens.
Heard a podcast on total football show where one of the journalists said Allegri said now or at end of season. Not any other time, so if we persist with Ole post Jan that will likely rule Allegri out.

Assuming that's true of course.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think he will. The powers that be will come to the conclusion that it will set us back further tearing up this coaching set-up after less than a year.

Then against if the results and performances are truly awful the pressure on Ole may start to grow.

Beagle

If Woodward does sack him, what does he do then? I think he will stick with Ole because there's no one else might be available.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Loose our next 5 games how can he survive? It'll be the worst run by any United manager in my life time (35 years)

That being said I dont think we will loose all of our next 5, might grab a draw or two

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't just look at the stage of the season but also the level of performances (which stretches back to the close of last season, our team looks no different).

Even if you consider this season we've had 11 games now. We struggle to outperform so many mediocre teams. Our XG from open play is relegation form.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say it will get worse before slightly improving. We have enough quality to avoid any dogfight in the bottom but I don't think we're any better than Bournemouth, West Ham or Wolves let alone Chelsea Arsenal or Spurs.
Sure, we're I. For something we're not used to this season. Don't get me wrong, I'm not picking on you, you were the only one who noted how many games we're into the league season, which is pertinent to some of the other comments.

Things aren't going well and the club will need some kind of miracle to challenge for the top four but, rather interestingly, every opposition fan I've spoken to said, from last year, that Ole's appointment is a long term one and none of them expected us to do really well this season. It's only United fans who had these (possibly unrealistic) expectations.

We all know what state our squad is in. We've had a bit of bad luck with calls and penalty misses. It's a long season and if these things even out we might do alright. Is that good enough? Generally no but in light of what needs to be done then this is the step we need to take.