Will our forwards wake up from their slumbers in time to challenge for the league? | No. Hibernating now

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
That’s because we often retreat into our own area when we go ahead in games. Either we hold on or the other team score, then we have to open up again. We’re literally set up to win by 1 goal.
Your description is more accurate to Spurs than United. We try to score again when we lead, get good chances but are most of the times let down by rubbish finishing from our underperforming forwards. Meanwhile Spurs have two of the most clinical forwards in the league but by design constantly find themselves defending one goal leads, simply because they stop attacking after taking the lead.

Last 10 mins are almost always backs to the wall for any side defending a one goal lead. That's not unique to United. Just a couple of weeks ago Bayern were knocked out by a lower league team who pegged them back, scored a late goal and forced extra time. City almost dropped two points against Brighton because of a late surge. Retreating is the go-to plan for most teams defending narrow leads when opponents throw the kitchen sink late on in games.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Will our forwards wake up from their slumbers in time to challenge for the league?

No.

Falcow

They are not in a slumber. They are just not good enough. Rashford seems to be a bit slow on the up take or something while Martial seems to pop at least two valium before each game.

Then there is Bruno who must have money on with Paddy Power on the amount of times he will will give the ball.away, I cant think of any other explanation.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Martial has been very poor this season but he's outdone himself in this game. His only telling contribution was losing yet another 50-50 which indirectly led to their 2nd goal.

bsCallout

Will Rashford ever head a ball? Just lets the other team with it every time.

SER19

Would gladly see the back of martial now. Terrible season and has no fight whatsoever

bsCallout

Martial has been very poor this season but he's outdone himself in this game. His only telling contribution was losing yet another 50-50 which indirectly led to their 2nd goal.
And a goal that should have stood but I agree with the sentiment.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That was a fecking disgrace from Martial. He really shouldn't be starting for a long time until he pushes himself into consideration as a sub. He's been complete garbage and is only getting worse. No idea how Greenwood came off before him. Mistake from Ole that.

Womp

idiot
How much blame can you put on them? They are almost always surrounded by 2-3 players at all times due to the fact that our passing and movement is so fecking slow and predictable. It's rly no surprise that as soon as some of Bruno's individual productivity dried up, we have looked far less effective. This is simply put a terribly coached team who relies on individual brilliance.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They're out of form, but Ole hasn't helped them. Too much tinkering and Rashford on the right doesn't work. Martial playing despite low confidence doesn't help either.

bsCallout

They're out of form, but Ole hasn't helped them. Too much tinkering and Rashford on the right doesn't work. Martial playing despite low confidence doesn't help either.
That's a lot of crap excuses just trying to put it all on Ole.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's a lot of crap excuses just trying to put it all on Ole.
It's not excuses though. Look how Rashford played against Liverpool when used on the left. Martial has been out of form for a while too..

Keep trying the same thing, keep getting the same result. Call it an excuse though

::sonny::

No, in few games the squad will disappear from the top of the league, like Tottenham did

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm not sure what Ole can do apart from sign them up for extra shooting lessons

Rashford has had better games on the right before, that's not an excuse for getting a shot off

Peterfeeter

I think Ole selects Martial in order for him to regain confidence but that is not working. He is short of confidence and form. He needs to be on the bench and watch Cavani and Bruno running their socks off. If he sulks ,tough luck.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
12 - Bruno
8 - Rashford
5 - Cavani
4 - Martial
3 - McTominay, Pogba
2 - James, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka
1 - Greenwood, Beek, Lindelof

Are any of the bolded players capable of going on a prolonged scoring run? We need at least one consistent goal threat for the remainder of the season (12+ goals from the remaining 16 games).

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
12 - Bruno
8 - Rashford
5 - Cavani
4 - Martial
3 - McTominay, Pogba
2 - James, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka
1 - Greenwood, Beek, Lindelof

Are any of the bolded players capable of going on a prolonged scoring run? We need at least one consistent goal threat for the remainder of the season (12+ goals from the remaining 16 games).
The answer is almost certainly yes as they are all capable but just haven’t really shown it this season. I think Greenwood is one we have to hope will start getting afew more goals as his recent form has picked up, I could see him going on a run where once he starts scoring he could be hard to stop.

hubbuh

Greenwood was unfortunate to be denied a goal against Southampton. If he gets consistent game time I'd back him to score around 10 goals.

bsCallout

In a bizarre way most of our strikers have improved as players, in my opinion, becoming better team players but they've sacrificed goals it seems. It will work itself out and they'll be better for it, they are all young.

They really have an opportunity to kick on and make this season something special.

Crashoutcassius

I think rashford is on course for a good season, cavani will play a lot more in the second half of the season so could get ten more, greenwood had a spell out of the team which I personally associate with off the field stuff as well as just being managed by ole but if that trio gets most of the minutes from now it could well be better numbers. I'm sure martial will play plenty as well

Brightonian

Of course, they all have done in the past (bar Greenwood, who to be fair to him has never really had the opportunity). Martial has been quite out of form this season, and Rashford's been sort of in and out. But actually both Greenwood and Cavani are quite unlucky not to have scored a handful over the last few games - both have had some very good chances stopped by good saves or last-ditch blocks. They're both getting in the right places, making chances and taking shots. I expect to see goals from both.

And even Martial was denied a perfectly legal goal against Sheffield which would now mean he'd be on 3 in 3.

I'm not worried. We've managed to stay in touch with the top of the table with our strikers in variable or indifferent form. With four quality forwards getting regular game-time, it's almost certain at least one of them will have a really good run of goals in the second half of the season, and that might just be all it takes.

Robbie Boy

Greenwood will come good, i'm sure of it...
He was very good on Tuesday, it was a much improved performance. I'm confident the goals will come. He's had some personal and off field issues which have clearly affected him.

Denis' cuff

The coaching debate can go on forever but at 12 years old, I knew I had to find space to make myself available to receive a pass, just as it was instinctive to help a team mate out when he was being pressed. We’ve seen numerous examples of players standing by, as if in a trance as the game passes them by. There’ve been plenty of videos put up to illustrate to those who don’t even notice it during a match

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The coaching debate can go on forever but at 12 years old, I knew I had to find space to make myself available to receive a pass, just as it was instinctive to help a team mate out when he was being pressed. We’ve seen numerous examples of players standing by, as if in a trance as the game passes them by. There’ve been plenty of videos put up to illustrate to those who don’t even notice it during a match
I just don't think it's that simple for some players to do what seem to be obvious to do for us behind our screens or if we compare to someone who excel it.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Bar that Saints game, our front three in general have been woeful. Given their form and output, we are lucky to be in top four because Bruno compensates for them.

In the league, none of our forwards have even hit double figures after 24 games:

Rashford: 8 goals, 8 assists
Martial: 4 goals, 5 assists
Cavani: 6 goals, 2 assists
Greenwood: 1 goal, 1 assist

Of course, the man carrying us:
Bruno: 14 goals, 10 assists