Will Rashford get as much stick as Pogba for his missed penalty?

chb23

Knew he was missing before he took it. I was very surprised not to see Martial take it. I thought Martial was having a brilliant game and Rashford was looking a bit lacking in confidence and choosing a couple of wrong passes

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Knew he was missing before he took it. I was very surprised not to see Martial take it. I thought Martial was having a brilliant game and Rashford was looking a bit lacking in confidence and choosing a couple of wrong passes
Martial is stone cold. Every time I look at him I see a classic penalty taker. Both Pogba and Rashford is so erratic, watching those two play is like a rollercoaster of emotions every game.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Wonder if white players would get the same amount of racism from black and ethnic minorities if they missed a penalty?
Berbatov against Everton rings a bell, he got a lot of stick for that miss, which I'm assuming included black people.

I think the way players carry themselves evokes certain reactions from people, Unfortunately those with limited brain capacities refer to race as an insult because they can't think of anything else.

Hopefully one day someone's race wont matter, sadly we seem to be quite far away from that point.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Martial is stone cold. Every time I look at him I see a classic penalty taker. Both Pogba and Rashford is so erratic, watching those two play is like a rollercoaster of emotions every game.
How many has Rashford missed for you now? I think he got slightly unlucky with this one, hit the inside of the post .. could so easily have gone in and was so close to being a perfect pen. Pogba's also wasn't that bad and was a decent save from Patricio.

But overall I've always had the idea that Rashford is a decent penalty taker, has taken a couple for England and scored (one in a wc no less) and I remember the one against PSG, another very high pressure situation. I might be wrong and he's missed a few but if it's just this one or a couple then I wouldn't see any reason to think he's not good at them, even Kane's missed a couple and he's almost a guarantee from the spot.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How many has Rashford missed for you now? I think he got slightly unlucky with this one, hit the inside of the post .. could so easily have gone in and was so close to being a perfect pen. Pogba's also wasn't that bad and was a decent save from Patricio.

But overall I've always had the idea that Rashford is a decent penalty taker, has taken a couple for England and scored (one in a wc no less) and I remember the one against PSG, another very high pressure situation. I might be wrong and he's missed a few but if it's just this one or a couple then I wouldn't see any reason to think he's not good at them, even Kane's missed a couple and he's almost a guarantee from the spot.
Today was the first one he's ever missed but then it was only like the 5th or 6th he's ever taken

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Rashford is a golden boy so will get no stick whatsoever. The reality is that he constantly flatters to deceive with his BTEC Ronaldo routine. You just knew he’d fluff his lines when the penno was given today

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
At the end of the day I don't trust any of our lot to take a pen, I'm actually more surprised when they do score

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Just goes to show what a load of horseshit all the criticism they got for last week was. There’s nothing wrong with the system they chose. Sometimes, people miss penalties. End.

starman

Pathetic agenda driven thread. Is this thread meant to be a counter to the "supposed" agenda against Pogba? All you do is show yourself up with your agenda with stuff like this...

Pogba's penalty record is awful and should never put himself forward, simple as that. Only his fanboys with their head in the sand were happy seeing him step up.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

Maybe you're right. Time will tell. I just think he gets erratic in a lot of aspects in the game, after initially doing good until things go against him. I hope that wont happen with penalties, but I expected the miss today. Also, every time he has taken a penalty, he has only had the pressure from the outside. To take advantage of being fearless when you're a young player is good. But this pressure he felt now came from the inside, since a lot was made of it when Pogba missed last time if he scored he'd be the man right now wouldn't he.

Amarsdd

Ingurlish pashunate local lad can do no wrong, evil foreigner Pogba is the one holding us back.

Racist fecks in the media will shield Rashy and somehow put this loss on Paul.
not sure if I should laugh or cry at these sort of posts here

Colin Clarke

The problem was that there was a debate. Anyone can miss a penalty.
Anyone can but nobody should. It's a target 24 feet wide and even allowing for the keeper the attacker should score. You only fail to score by missing the goal, hitting the woodwork or not placing your shot right. In the past if a player missed more than 1 penalty he was relieved of that duty and if he scored he kept that duty. Hence why Rashford is it for now but he too like Pogba should have scored.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Today was the first one he's ever missed but then it was only like the 5th or 6th he's ever taken
Very harsh to criticise then. All players will miss a few in their career.

Like I said it wasn't even a particularly poor penalty, he's had the right idea to go for the corner and it's very slightly gone wrong. Happens.

minh_loc_xoay

Very harsh to criticise then. All players will miss a few in their career.

Like I said it wasn't even a particularly poor penalty, he's had the right idea to go for the corner and it's very slightly gone wrong. Happens.
Rashford deliberately missed that pen to ease off some media pressure on Pogba.
Shame on them for thinking about their mate first and not the team! :mad:

lsd

The Oracle
Rashford was always going to miss a penalty sooner or later as he has even said himself he tries to place it the same way every time .

You are never going to be able to hit the corner every time it's impossible.

Would be better if he tried to mix it up an odd time I thought the keeper moved the other way early today he could have rolled it in had been waiting for it .

You just can't hit it perfect every time . I'd have hoped his free kicks had taught him that

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Exactly, I don't trust Pogba and Rashford on penalty, they are too erratic by nature, which makes them try crazy things on field which is good sometimes, but not for penalty. I always prefer Martial, who is stone cold, and seems to me always take those penalty nicely.

Amerifan

Yesterday: “It can’t be Pogba, it must be Rashford.”
Today: “It can’t be Pogba or Rashford, it must be Martial.”
After every miss it can’t be that guy and must be someone else.

By the end of the season DDG will be taking a PK.

haram

Anyone can but nobody should. It's a target 24 feet wide and even allowing for the keeper the attacker should score. You only fail to score by missing the goal, hitting the woodwork or not placing your shot right. In the past if a player missed more than 1 penalty he was relieved of that duty and if he scored he kept that duty. Hence why Rashford is it for now but he too like Pogba should have scored.
Ok tell that to every professional footballer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Same. He was a bag of nerves which is understandable considering that just the game before Gaz spent 30 minutes ranting on TV about how treacherous and selfish Pogba was for daring to take the penalty himself. Penalties are already stressful without this kind of crap. Gaz think that just because he was tucked in the right surrounded by absolute world class players like Ronaldo/Beckham, Stam, Rio, Vidic, Schmeichel, Keane, Carrick, VDS etc who carried most of the burden that he knows everything about football. He clearly doesn't. Way bigger and more experienced players then Pogba and Rashford had failed penalties before. No one needs the drama

devilish

Can we blame the media when they echo what most of us here are saying ?
Yes. We're mere fans writing on a forum meant to fans like ourselves. Gaz is a club legend spouting shit on national TV. Its different.

devilish

Why all the hypocrisy?
its not hypocrisy but more about taking responsibility of what you are and at what platform you're speaking upon. Gary Neville himself knows that. As a player he once told Roy Keane then already a pundit to go easy on Manchester United which was, back then, in a crisis. So he definitely understand the impact a legend can have over the team when speaking on the media.

Maybe it's time for Ole to do a Sir Alex and tell the 'media' to back off.

RedCurry

I don’t know why someone would give Pogba more stick than Rashford. But I know that I prefer a penalty taker who can hit the ball clean and hard. I used to hate Rooney taking penalties for the same reason I hate Pogba taking them. Except Pogba’s penalty technique is even worse than Rooney’s.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
its not hypocrisy but more about taking responsibility of what you are and at what platform you're speaking upon. Gary Neville himself knows that. As a player he once told Roy Keane then already a pundit to go easy on Manchester United which was, back then, in a crisis. So he definitely understand the impact a legend can have over the team when speaking on the media.

Maybe it's time for Ole to do a Sir Alex and tell the 'media' to back off.
If they did they're called glazer stooges.

PaulRich

Al the end of the day Pogba did actually put his on target and made the keeper earn his money...............just saying like

devilish

If they did they're called glazer stooges.
There's a difference between going easy on the club and going easy on the players. All Gaz has to do is to extend his 'courtesy' towards homegrown talent to foreign talent as well. That's not hard for anyone who isn't remotely xenophobic right?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There's a difference between going easy on the club and going easy on the players. All Gaz has to do is to extend his 'courtesy' towards homegrown talent to foreign talent as well. That's not hard for anyone who isn't remotely xenophobic right?
The last time he did that he's called protecting his brother the england assman.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This is the problem with Ole's stupid system, precisely. Who takes a penalty shouldn't ever be up for debate. Now some want Pogba, some want Rashy and others are nominating Martial.

This is such unnecessary insanity caused by nobody else but Ole. Just Why?

Snafu17

So you don’t see Chelsea fans racially abusing black players whilst singing songs about Drogba?
The fallout to Pogba's penalty possibly happened because of racism. Rashford getting preferential treatment over Pogba cannot be is not racist. It's xenophobic if anything.

In Rainbows

Do I think he cares deeply about united?

No
Come back to me next year when he and his agent take a £30,000,000 bonus pal.
How bitter are you? And what makes you think he doesn't care about United? Because he wants out due to the fact that we're a shambles at the moment? He had a choice and clearly wanted to win trophies with United. However, he does value his career more than anything just like every footballer on the planet. You think if United were like Leeds, players would play for the shirt? No they wouldn't. Players leave if they feel there is a better opportunity for their short career. Hate to break it to you, but that's the truth. In fact, many of our legends chose United for that very same reason. Fortunately, they came to a United with Fergie at the top winning trophies or competing for trophies every season.

jem

He’s the only thing keeping United even partially relevant in world football but ok.
Yeah, his Champions League performances were inspirational - really made the rest of the world sit up and take notice of United again.

Member 113277

Rashford is a golden boy so will get no stick whatsoever. The reality is that he constantly flatters to deceive with his BTEC Ronaldo routine. You just knew he’d fluff his lines when the penno was given today
Nonsense. Rashford's penalty strategy was clear - low, hard in the corner. He got unlucky by a few inches. Those types of penalty are unsaveable - Palace got lucky and made the most of it.

devilish

Well. The last time he shown courtesy, he's lambasted equally for protecting his fellow brits. Now that he complains about pogba you lambasted him on why he doesnt extend his courtesy.

All and all, fans are always right. Anything that's against them are deadwrong.
The word of a legend on TV carries far more weight then ours on a forum. Now if Gaz is more loyal to us then to sky then he will stir away from this unfair criticism. If he wants to be considered credible then he would treat local and foreign based United players in the same way