Will Rashford get as much stick as Pogba for his missed penalty?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Nonsense. Rashford's penalty strategy was clear - low, hard in the corner. He got unlucky by a few inches. Those types of penalty are unsaveable - Palace got lucky and made the most of it.
You can't afford to be unlucky too much in this level.

Ronaldo paid for that unlucky miss with 1 extra year. Baggio never really bounce back after that 94 miss.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The word of a legend on TV carries far more weight then ours on a forum. Now if Gaz is more loyal to us then to sky then he will stir away from this unfair criticism. If he wants to be considered credible then he would treat local and foreign based United players in the same way
Did we? Treat them equally? The term british core preferred is in itself a show of non equal treatment

chb23

This is the problem with Ole's stupid system, precisely. Who takes a penalty shouldn't ever be up for debate. Now some want Pogba, some want Rashy and others are nominating Martial.

This is such unnecessary insanity caused by nobody else but Ole. Just Why?
To be honest, i don't find anything wrong with nominating a group of players to take. The most confident one should take it on the day.

Member 113277

You can't afford to be unlucky too much in this level.

Ronaldo paid for that unlucky miss with 1 extra year. Baggio never really bounce back after that 94 miss.
Sky1981, you're right, missing a critical penalty comes with a big downside.

The point I was making is that Rashford was unlucky, whilst Pogba's was likely to be saved by a decent keeper. From seeing both players take penalties, I'd expect Rashford's conversion rate to be somewhat higher due to the placement consistency and power of shot, but he is not infallible. Few are. https://www.cfchistory.com/charlie-rackstraw

Member 113277

Sky1981, you're right, missing a critical penalty comes with a big downside.

The point I was making is that Rashford was unlucky, whilst Pogba's was likely to be saved by a decent keeper. From seeing both players take penalties, I'd expect Rashford's conversion rate to be somewhat higher due to the placement consistency and power of shot, but he is not infallible. Few are. https://www.cfchistory.com/charlie-rackstraw
I don't subscribe to Pogba being a rotten penalty taker, either, he will score the majority of kicks that he takes.

SuperiorXI

We've shot ourselves in the foot by creating this situation and manifesting more pressure on the penalty taker. If we just sorted it out before the game started we'd have none of this.

It's B Rubble

Rashford and Pogba are being racially abused by teenagers wanting a reaction. These troll accounts are going to be the news all season when a black player messes up. I know united fans wouldn’t act like this and it’s upsetting to see other forums spouting “Man Utd fans stay classy” or “typical as they were the most racist bla bla”. I honestly think those accounts are run by supporters of other clubs trying to make our supporters look like troglodytes. We may criticize our players, but feck off this racist nonsense is not from real United fans.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Nonsense. Rashford's penalty strategy was clear - low, hard in the corner. He got unlucky by a few inches. Those types of penalty are unsaveable - Palace got lucky and made the most of it.
It’s indicative of his lack of consistency. As a club we have missed an insane number of penalties over the last few years and it’s because we have no one reliable to put the ball in the net. Liverpool and City would not have passed up the opportunities we have in the past week, nor would they be moaning about VAR.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I just read a short piece by Mitten where he talks about the pens that weren't awarded (the Martial one was a stonewaller) and asks what's the point in getting them as we don't score them. Then he goes on to say Martial should be tried out next. He's got 5 in 6. Rashford has 6 in 7. I agree those two should be the takers, but to change to a third taker now would just be incredibly stupid. We stick with Rashford. He was unlucky. It wasn't a bad pen. And having Pogba take the Wolves one disrupted his flow.

I expected a bit more from the Athletic than what I'm currently reading.

Member 113277

His conversion rate is below the global average, he basically misses 1 out of every 4 he takes.
I wrote 'he will score the majority of kicks he takes' - 3 out of every 4 is the majority - I'm surprised he converts 75%. I'd still rather have someone else take them, though.

It’s indicative of his lack of consistency.
IIRC, Rashford has 6/7, that's good, over 85% - we'll see if he maintains that. I believe that Messi averages about 77% and Ronaldo 83% - given that both have taken over 100, that's impressive to my mind.

We stick with Rashford. He was unlucky. It wasn't a bad pen
Agreed, 4 inches to the right ......

Alemar

Best penalty takers always look at the goalkeeper and send the ball to another corner. Our penalty takers never look at where the GK is going

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I wrote 'he will score the majority of kicks he takes' - 3 out of every 4 is the majority - I'm surprised he converts 75%. I'd still rather have someone else take them, though.

IIRC, Rashford has 6/7, that's good, over 85% - we'll see if he maintains that. I believe that Messi averages about 77% and Ronaldo 83% - given that both have taken over 100, that's impressive to my mind.

Agreed, 4 inches to the right ......
Are you counting some friendly pens? When it has mattered he is at 67%, granted it’s a small sample. None of our takers fill me with confidence.

Member 113277

lsd

The Oracle
You always know where he is going to put them which is never a good sign

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Looked like he was going for a new run up to have as his 'thing' there to me. Just fecking take the pen man.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We're an embarrassment when it comes to penalties.

They're nearly as bad as our corner kicks and that's saying something.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Neville : "Rashford didn't score the penalty out of sympathy because VAR caused a wrong decision. Now if you excuse me, Paul Pogba, Paul Pogba, Paul Pogba, Dubai, Zidane"

Scholes.92

Just let Young take them. Wasn’t he decent for Villa?
one thing i'd give young in general is he's usually consistent and reliable with his play for me. He's had the odd moment such as barca this yeah but even though you can argue his quality which is down to age, I personally think his mental strength is great so yeah i'd give him a go. He can't be any worse surely :confused:

nameischarles

What a poor runup and kick by Rashford, I think he even hesitated in the last millisecond after that runup.

Krul guessed right on Martial but again was a subpar penalty.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
We can barely take a corner, penalties is another kettle of fish.

Like that for years. Even when Rooney was here he was not convincing at penos.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Both penalties should have been retaken. The goalkeeper was off his line and moved too early.

Robin

He was at least 2 feet off his line for the first one, I’m not convinced it was a penalty in the first place, if that had been given against us I would have been on the pitch !!!

croadyman

He was at least 2 feet off his line for the first one, I’m not convinced it was a penalty in the first place, if that had been given against us I would have been on the pitch !!!
Yeah we were very lucky that the first penalty was given because definitely felt James pushed himself into the defender, did look like Krul was off the line with that one though and maybe Rashford felt guilty it had been given in our favour but he needs to be more ruthless in that situation.

hobbers

Rashford's penalty was shockingly poor. Martial's wasn't great but nothing especially bad about it.

Krul standing 2 yards off his line for both definitely helped. VAR being the awful joke that it is.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Both penalties should have been retaken. The goalkeeper was off his line and moved too early.
He managed to get two steps off his line for both penalties, pretty ridiculous how keepers can keep getting away with it. No wonder LvG subbed him on in that world cup game, Krul seems to face every penalty from about a yard away.