Will we be up to speed for the Leeds game?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The lack of fitness was one of the main reasons for the 6 - 1 against Spurs last season. Also how awful we were again Palace and Brighton. Deserved to lose both and were incredibly lucky to win one of them.

Very worried about the start to the season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We need to start of the season much better this time round. No better way then to start it against Leeds, will be a tough game but they play an open game and that will play into our hands, we will tear them apart again. Especially now with sancho who is miles better in the final 3rd then any of our other attackers. Can see us scoring plenty of goals especially since we will have our fans back in the stadium!

RedDevil@84

What like the club behaved with Romero last season? De Gea has no future here and that needs to be made clear to him.
Why? Why should the club hound him? This "he has no future" is something you have in your head. The club has given no indication that they are unhappy with De Gea situation. Leave alone that we haven't signed any quality keepers to replace him. The club seems pretty happy to let Henderson and De Gea compete for the no 1 spot.

Chief123

Not long before the first game of the season and most of the ‘stars’ are still not back training. Rashford won’t be available for a while and Sancho and Varane will need sometime to settle in. Leeds will be all pace and movement and I worry that we won’t get into the game and possibly lose the opener. What do you think?.
It’s going to be extremely difficult playing the fittest team in the league who will have had a proper pre season together. Will be a very tough game.

JB7

Why? Why should the club hound him? This "he has no future" is something you have in your head. The club has given no indication that they are unhappy with De Gea situation. Leave alone that we haven't signed any quality keepers to replace him. The club seems pretty happy to let Henderson and De Gea compete for the no 1 spot.
It’s not in my head, it’s clear to anyone with a rational thought in their head. De Gea does not suit our game or the defenders in front of him and I’d be shocked if he’s happy to sit on his money as a backup goalkeeper. If that is the case that he’s happy then fine crack on.

RedDevil@84

It’s not in my head, it’s clear to anyone with a rational thought in their head. De Gea does not suit our game or the defenders in front of him and I’d be shocked if he’s happy to sit on his money as a backup goalkeeper. If that is the case that he’s happy then fine crack on.
That is not my point. The club at no point has thrown De Gea out of the equation. If the club had any idea to completely ditch De Gea, they would have actively put him in the market this summer. Or at least given some feelers to media/agents that he is up for grabs.
Personally, I don't think Henderson improves the team by leaps and bounds or something. I would be scared to go into the season with Henderson as no 1 and Heaton as backup.

JB7

That is not my point. The club at no point has thrown De Gea out of the equation. If the club had any idea to completely ditch De Gea, they would have actively put him in the market this summer. Or at least given some feelers to media/agents that he is up for grabs.
Personally, I don't think Henderson improves the team by leaps and bounds or something. I would be scared to go into the season with Henderson as no 1 and Heaton as backup.
Both statistics & results back up the vast improvement with Henderson in goal alongside the clear eye test seeing how much more comfortable the defenders are in front of him. Whether he is the long term answer, I don’t know. But it is clear that we need an offensive goalkeeper to compliment our defenders and De Gea is not that style of goalkeeper & never will be.

MrSingh2002

Are you expecting the fitness team/coaches to rock up in the middle of the players holidays and perform fitness tests on them!?

I think you may have misquoted Ole somewhat aswell, I belive he said something along the lines of 'the players on holiday all have there own programmes to follow while away, but until they return I can't be sure how fit they are and wether they will be ready for the 14th' or words to that affect anyway.

Basically if the players have been professionals and followed there programmes than they should be OK, but there is a chance some may have laxed on there programmes and might not be ready.
No misquoting Ole. He said "I don't have a scooby about the international lads fitness". You can find the interview if you want.

In this day and age of watches and vests being able to tell your BP and heart rate I'm sure the medical team could arrange players to run a few miles while wearing a device that gets them enough data to determine some metrics of fitness.

Surely we don't pay salaries of strength and conditioning coaches and fitness experts to not do that outside of the playing season. In sports where its a game of inches I'd hope we're not as stupid as Oles statement sounded.

theklr

No misquoting Ole. He said "I don't have a scooby about the international lads fitness". You can find the interview if you want.

In this day and age of watches and vests being able to tell your BP and heart rate I'm sure the medical team could arrange players to run a few miles while wearing a device that gets them enough data to determine some metrics of fitness.

Surely we don't pay salaries of strength and conditioning coaches and fitness experts to not do that outside of the playing season. In sports where its a game of inches I'd hope we're not as stupid as Oles statement sounded.
Those players are on a holiday though.
Wont take long to figure it out when they’re back.

Blood Mage

Hope he plays Heaton in goal. De Gea needs a message or he’ll never fecking leave.
De Gea is still a very good keeper even though he may no longer be world class. We should give him the boot just because he's bad at saving penalties?

Longshanks

I'm not sure remotely monitoring bp and heart rate is going to tell you an awful lot about the realitive fitness levels of elite athletes especially considering the varying conditions of where the players may be. Wouldnt be very scientific and somewhat pointless when ideally you want the players to relax and switch off for a few weeks so there mentally refreshed for another season.

I'm pretty sure the players would of been told to keep themselves in shape so they don't have to go through masses of conditioning training when they get back and its more just about getting 'match sharpness' back.

JB7

De Gea is still a very good keeper even though he may no longer be world class. We should give him the boot just because he's bad at saving penalties?
Yeah that’s exactly what I said isn’t it?

We should move on because our defenders need a commanding offensive goalkeeper behind them whereas DDG sits on his line at all times which creates a massive corridor of uncertainty which tends to be where we haemorrhage goals & everyone blames the defenders but they mysteriously stopped with Henderson (and even Romero) is goal.

Whether Henderson is the right choice long term remains to be seen but for the immediate future he has to be the choice and Heaton is also closer to the correct style of goalkeeper we need than DDG. Obviously DDG is a much better goalkeeper than Heaton but not for our defence.

Nicolarra90

I hope he doesn't play the likes of Lingard, Perriera and the sort. I hope they were played to keep them match fit and load them off before the end of the window. I really really wish Elanga gets a run out this season and I hope it starts at the Leeds game what with the home advantage and all.
Who's that guy?

Bestietom

I hope he doesn't play the likes of Lingard, Perriera and the sort. I hope they were played to keep them match fit and load them off before the end of the window. I really really wish Elanga gets a run out this season and I hope it starts at the Leeds game what with the home advantage and all.

Heaton/Henderson
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Matic/Mctominay
Bruno VDB
Sancho Greenwood James

I'm guessing this will be the line-up keeping in mind that there isn't any new signing that happens by then and even if so, I'm guessing it will take time to finalize. I really hope Martial is fit by then and can start. I don't expect Ole to start De Gea for the Leeds game.
Yes, looking like this will be our lineup for first game.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Thought he was supposed to be back training by now. Cavani I'm not sure when he's back and he needs to be cautiously managed anyway, while out wide I doubt Sancho will start right away, Rashford out so I can see Martial much sooner than starting Dan James.
I'm confused, hasn't Cavani had a free summer? He should have been the first one back, welcoming the others in with a nice cup of tea.

FPL addict

Supports
Leeds Utd
For info...Leeds have another friendly in Amsterdam v Ajax tomorrow night and a final friendly v Villareal on Saturday. Should give some idea of the centre back injury situation. They have had a pretty full on preseason tbh.

MUFC OK

I think we're set for a slow start again. Leeds are the last team I'd want to face on the opening day because you just know Bielsa will have their fitness levels off the chart - he demands it.

Dread to think what our starting XI will be and I'd be surprised if we get the win.

Btw, the last time we had a good start to the season was in 2017/18 when we had 8 preseason games and faced Spurs, Man city, Barcelona and Real Madrid x2. The majority of training was in hot weather in California too.

justsomebloke

I don't think you can continue carrying two GKs who both expect to be no 1 indefinitely. Or even for very much longer. It's not conducive to getting the best out of either of them. Sooner or later to be a top GK, you need the confidence that comes from being the starter night in night out, through the season as a whole.

savais

I think we're set for a slow start again. Leeds are the last team I'd want to face on the opening day because you just know Bielsa will have their fitness levels off the chart - he demands it.

Dread to think what our starting XI will be and I'd be surprised if we get the win.

Btw, the last time we had a good start to the season was in 2017/18 when we had 8 preseason games and faced Spurs, Man city, Barcelona and Real Madrid x2. The majority of training was in hot weather in California too.
I think it will be a slow start, but to be expected, as majority of the squad get up to speed, fitness wise. Think we will draw at home to Leeds.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

Vaccines aren't 100% effective. You can still get Covid (although it is very unlikely you'll get sick).
Just want to make this point here as I've seen loads of misinformation flying about on the topic and I'm not assuming your view on the matter btw - but you are significantly less likely to contract covid after double vaccination - it's not purely about reducing severity.

justsomebloke

Just want to make this point here as I've seen loads of misinformation flying about on the topic and I'm not assuming your view on the matter btw - but you are significantly less likely to contract covid after double vaccination - it's not purely about reducing severity.
No, of course. Vaccines greatly reduce the risk of being infected with Covid. The effect depends on the type of vaccine and whether you've received 1 or 2 doses as well as how much time has passed since the last dose received, but we're generally speaking about a 80-95% efficiency. It just isn't 100%, meaning that it remains possible for people who have been vaccinated to become covid positive. Though they much more rarely get sick, and also have less likelihood of passing on the virus.

MUFC OK

No, of course. Vaccines greatly reduce the risk of being infected with Covid. The effect depends on the type of vaccine and whether you've received 1 or 2 doses as well as how much time has passed since the last dose received, but we're generally speaking about a 80-95% efficiency. It just isn't 100%, meaning that it remains possible for people who have been vaccinated to become covid positive. Though they much more rarely get sick, and also have less likelihood of passing on the virus.
Agreed. The seatbelt analogy is a good one.

Devil may care

No, we are likely going to start with Maglof and McFred and possibly James, but nobody else is really settled either, Liverpool haven't made a signing, Chelsea are still trying to get Kounde and a striker, Spurs main man is acting the cnut and Arsenal are Arsenal.

i can see Leicester getting off to a flier and City will be the same machine as last season.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Leeds pre season results have been quite simply....awful.

They are still finding their feet with players returning also, I am sure we will be fine.

justsomebloke

No, we are likely going to start with Maglof and McFred and possibly James, but nobody else is really settled either, Liverpool haven't made a signing, Chelsea are still trying to get Kounde and a striker, Spurs main man is acting the cnut and Arsenal are Arsenal.

i can see Leicester getting off to a flier and City will be the same machine as last season.
Well City have even more players than we do who figured at the Euros or CA (and Leicester has quite a few too).

But I think you're right, generally about the impact. The fact our big transfers was done early, as you mention, should be a plus for us compared to other big clubs. Maybe the smaller teams with fewer internationals will be a bit less affected, but there aren't many teams in the PL without several key players who's been playing international football this summer.

James35

That five player combination gives me nightmares. I am really looking forward to it being a thing of the past.

Frustrating how long it it's taking to finalise Varane deal as he seems very likely to miss the opening game now. Hopefully Ole will at least keep James far away for the starting 11 and play Sancho left with Greenwood on the right.

We cannot afford another bad start.

justsomebloke

I'm praying we play Sancho on the right and Leeds play Junior Firpo, reckless fouler that he is, on their left back.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all

City weren't a machine in the beginning of last season. They started pulling away towards the middle of the season

Devil may care

Well City have even more players than we do who figured at the Euros or CA (and Leicester has quite a few too).

But I think you're right, generally about the impact. The fact our big transfers was done early, as you mention, should be a plus for us compared to other big clubs. Maybe the smaller teams with fewer internationals will be a bit less affected, but there aren't many teams in the PL without several key players who's been playing international football this summer.
There's certainly the potential for some opening day upsets with the Euros and extended holidays cutting into the season start.

That five player combination gives me nightmares. I am really looking forward to it being a thing of the past.

Frustrating how long it it's taking to finalise Varane deal as he seems very likely to miss the opening game now. Hopefully Ole will at least keep James far away for the starting 11 and play Sancho left with Greenwood on the right.

We cannot afford another bad start.
I'd be more frustrated if we were the only ones in this situation, I mean James should be sold, but it seems every one of the bigger clubs have either not gotten a signing done or are in the same limbo as us with players returning. The defence having to wait for Varane is irritating but manageable, it's the dreck midfield that's an issue as we don't even have anyone coming in as of now, hopefully Sancho and Cavani will be in training before the end of this week so they have a chance of starting.

City weren't a machine in the beginning of last season. They started pulling away towards the middle of the season
True but the machine was well oiled by the end and I don't see any reason it would go back to sputtering at the moment.