Will we score 50 league goals this season?

The Oracle

We're 9 league games in, and we have scored just 11 goals so far.

With our lowly return up to now, averaging 1.22 goals per game, we are on course to reach 46 goals by the end of the season (1.22 goals x 38 games).

Do you think we can do better than our projected amount, and reach at least 50?

Our goals scored in the past five league campaigns:
2022/23 = 58
2021/22 = 57
2020/21 = 73
2019/20 = 66
2018/19 = 65

Irwin99

Yes but only just, probably won't hit 60.

We've only scored 70+ goals in one season since SAF retired- i find that crazy for a club built on attacking football. I do feel annoyed that Liverpool and City usually hit +75 and even Arsenal got 88 last season.

wolvored

Probably will get to 60, but still 20 goals light at least, if we want to be in Ch Lge.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We've only scored 70+ goals in one season since SAF retired- i find that crazy for a club built on attacking football. I do feel annoyed that Liverpool and City usually hit +75 and even Arsenal got 88 last season.
At this rate we'll need to change our name to Stoke United

Woziak

I genuinely think this is our biggest problem and is not that different from last season where an inform Rashford masked the biggest deficiency in the team.

We just don’t create multiple goal scoring opportunities from intricate pattern of plays, have no idea how to run off the ball to create space and when we do get wide we offer very little with quality delivery, if the delivery is ok, the strikers just don’t make the right runs at the right time, if we are being honest about our beloved team then we need to state the obvious ; we can’t put one decent cross in from either side in 90 plus minutes.

1. ETH has had 18 months and his team have never scored 5 goals in a PL game but he’s conceded over five twice against our biggest rivals and four multiple times.

2. He persists with United’s worst signing in ages, Antony, I mean this might actually be worse than Di Maria for as much as the player was a complete C… when it came to united, he had undoubted elite quality ability and when he cut in, the ball normally ended at United’s payers feet rather than 50 yards over the bar!

3. ETH has completely miscalculated the quality of the PL and I’m starting to see a lot of injuries because of his training methods and overplaying certain players. I’m sorry Malacia, Mount, Onana were not needed and we overpaid for Antony and Casemiero. However buying Casemiro at £40-45m would have have been good business. We should have saved at least £150-160m on either not buying certain players or not paying twice the market price and then the club should have gone and bought an Elite number 9 and a creative number 8.

Antony should never have been bought we could have found 6 or 7 right wingers for 1/4 money who were more suitable and we had 3 right wingers at the club when we bought him.

4. United talk about goals but right now I can’t see Rashford and Bruno getting 15 between them and that’s with pens. Garnaucho hopefully will come good but Antony, Pellistri, Hojlund and Martial will be lucky to get 10 PL goals between them.

The biggest problem with united is we really don’t have a PL proven goalscorer so we need to use any money we get from Sancho and go and buy Ivan Toney, we need a established number 9 and Hojlund needs to learn his trade from the bench, he’s just 20.

He has undoubted talent but he’s going to struggle in the PL, remember he was quoted as saying his most difficult opponent in ‘Serie A ‘ was Chris Smalling and that type of quality at CB is available to nearly every PL team nowadays.

The club should have absolute KPI’s for all the individual coaches like the set piece coach, the striker coach and if they are not achieving those results get rid and get those in that can make a difference, we got lucky again, but eventually the luck is going to run out !

Last edited:

Charlie Foley

That season was brutal. Nearly killed my love for football.
FA Cup run and win was nice, Martial, Rashford emergence, that weird run when we were playing Guillermo Varela (and beating Arsenal) Around December was horrific stuff though. Funnily I remember wins early enough against West Brom at home (2-0, Lingard lovely goal) and Watford late winner away and Herrera going mental in the dugout where I really thought we could put up a title challenge. Looking now we finished 5 points off second (71-66). Was a weird season. Sadly not even our worst since Sir Alex

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It will be close. Fully expect us to have a negative goal difference .

KD6-3.7

I think there’s a good chance we finish the season with a negative G/D. As pessimistic as it sounds I think we’ll face a thrashing when we come up against Liverpool and City and we seem incapable of putting any team to the sword to make up for it.

lex talionis

We were woeful is attack last season yet club management made signing a keeper our highest priority. We were woeful last season and we will be full of woe this season.

Wilt

Question being will we score more goals than Haaland?

Last edited:

MalaysianRed7

We’ve not won a single league or Champions League game by more than 1, which is astonishing and very poor considering what we have in attack. I do think we’ll breach 50 goals, but not by much.

Redstain

This is why the summer window was poor the budget did not address issues with this team. ETH was said to be this meticulous planner and the reality is completely opposite. The team need a multitude of attacking options to have a stronger foundation at winning games. This is arguably the worst attack I've seen under United in the last few set of years.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We’ve not won a single league or Champions League game by more than 1, which is astonishing and very poor considering what we have in attack. I do think we’ll breach 50 goals, but not by much.
We'd expect a few more but it's not 'astonishing' for what we have (very little).

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Our goal difference last season wasn’t much better, we tend to win by slim margins and lose by big ones.

Red Royal

If we ever get our proffered back 4 together, it should help our midfield and attack. Fullback injuries are hurting us a lot.

RedStarUnited

There are so many moments of bad decisions or quality that stop us from scoring more. Like when Rashford and Hojlund had that chance together after a press. Rashford should have passed the ball a bit further forward so that Hojlund runs into it, ideally with a first time finish - Like Liverpools 2nd goals against Everton yesterday. But, after Rashford has under hit the pass, Hojlund instead of taking the shot should then also have passed.

RuudTom83

If it was just a slow start to the season then it wouldn't be a worry...but as it's a continuation from last season, a season which saw Rashford hit 30 goals (which ain't happening this season) then it becomes a huge problem!

But every fan and his dog knew United needed 2 forwards in the summer...the board only managed to add a promising 20 year old CF to the squad. So eventually you reap what you sow.

OrcaFat

Yes. 60 is possible. 55 a very reasonable target. 50 a bare minimum and surely achievable.

Things need to click. I think they will.

norm87cro

Look I wouldn't think goals would be an issue if we had a relaible defense but we dont so. We should be scoring at least 2 per game and thats 76 all season and I dont see us scoring 65.

Woziak

Yes. 60 is possible. 55 a very reasonable target. 50 a bare minimum and surely achievable.

To score 60 we need to score 49 from 30 games that’s should be bare minimum we should still be looking for 65-70 goals which is just under 2 a game going forward

In the champions league We have scored 5 in 2 games but lost them both so we can clearly score goals.

Irwin99

That still feels way too low but is probably about right.

I've been thinking about this and as I said in a previous post it's so strange to me that a club that's spent such vast amounts of money in the past ten years and is built on a legacy of attacking football and entertaining its fans can rarely hit 70 goals anymore. We so rarely put teams to the sword. The managers have to share some of the blame, even Ole who was probably the best of the bunch in that regard. I had hoped for a bit more from EtH in attacking football.

OrcaFat

That still feels way too low but is probably about right.

I've been thinking about this and as I said in a previous post it's so strange to me that a club that's spent such vast amounts of money in the past ten years and is built on a legacy of attacking football and entertaining its fans can rarely hit 70 goals anymore. We so rarely put teams to the sword. The managers have to share some of the blame, even Ole who was probably the best of the bunch in that regard. I had hoped for a bit more from EtH in attacking football.
Yeah me too. There’s still time for us to start firing on a few more cylinders but I don’t see a massive glut of goals any time soon.