Will we score 50 league goals this season?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We won the league in 08/09 with a fearsome front 4 but with only 68 goals. But we also went 3 months without conceding. We need to sort out a solid base first.

Irwin99

We won the league in 08/09 with a fearsome front 4 but with only 68 goals. But we also went 3 months without conceding. We need to sort out a solid base first.
That was a really sluggish season in a lot of ways which is a strange thing to say considering we were pretty close to a quadruple but the quality of football compared to the previous two seasons was a big big fall. Berbatov took a lot of the blame and his goal tally wasn't great but we just weren't firing all that well during that season. Situations with Tevez and Ronaldo didn't help.

The following year I think we got 86 goals so it was back to normal in some ways. Most Sir Alex seasons in the premier league we usually hit 70+ goals, often hitting 80+.

KeanoMagicHat

It's very rare to win the league with that few goals, you need an all-time great defence or be set up like Mourinho style playing for 0-0s. Nobody has won the league scoring fewer than 70 goals since Leicester 7 years ago. Only 2 of the last 17 league winners have scored fewer than 70 goals and only 4 of the last 17 league winners have scored fewer than 80 goals, so scoring more goals is a priority to compete.

doomy20

Of course not and I am fed up pretending we are still a top6 team when we’re clearly not.

MalaysianRed7

We'd expect a few more but it's not 'astonishing' for what we have (very little).
We have Bruno creating the most chances in Europe every season, Rashford and 2 players who cost a total of approximately £150m in our front 4. The return on our investment is not there, because you’d expect around 70 goals at least with that group of attackers.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We have Bruno creating the most chances in Europe every season, Rashford and 2 players who cost a total of approximately £150m in our front 4. The return on our investment is not there, because you’d expect around 70 goals at least with that group of attackers.
Antony has never been a big goal threat, Hojlund is completely unproven. Nothing to suggest you'd expect 70 goals from them other than cost.

Belisarius

Antony has never been a big goal threat, Hojlund is completely unproven. Nothing to suggest you'd expect 70 goals from them other than cost.
We will easily get 50. Might be a struggle to reach 60 but I think we'll get there. Hojlund, Bruno and Rashford will improve their output, probably Garnacho, Ericksen and Martial as well. Amad and Mount may even add a few.

The offence will improve immensely as the defence and midfield return to health and learn to play solidly together again.

Irwin99

We will easily get 50. Might be a struggle to reach 60 but I think we'll get there. Hojlund, Bruno and Rashford will improve their output, probably Garnacho, Ericksen and Martial as well. Amad and Mount may even add a few.

The offence will improve immensely as the defence and midfield return to health and learn to play solidly together again.
That's still not really good enough either though for a club like United. I really want EtH to succeed here but it's tiresome that we've had a decade of mostly really shite football, often laboring to wins or just seeing games out. At this rate we're probably going to have yet another season of poor goal difference and disappointing goals scored.

I just really miss that ruthlessness of our teams of old even when our defence was terrible (01-02 season for example).

Wilt

Very, and it's not even optimistic
Ok, think we can safely assume City Pool and Arse are virtual certs to finish top 4

leaving the obvious 6 to battle it out for the remaining 3 places….
Newc
Utd
Spurs
Villa
Chelsea
Brighton

Which clubs do you think Utd will ‘definitely’ finish higher than?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Ok, think we can safely assume City Pool and Arse are virtual certs to finish top 4

Newc
Utd
Spurs
Villa
Chelsea
Brighton

No guarantee at all Liverpool and Arsenal finish above Utd, we're shit at the min - things change. Heard it all last season too.

Leftback99

Newc
Utd
Spurs
Villa
Chelsea
Brighton

We'll score less than all of them. Doubt we'll finish above any.

Wilt

No guarantee at all Liverpool and Arsenal finish above Utd, we're shit at the min - things change. Heard it all last season too.
You’d get long odds Utd finishing higher than Liverpool or Arsenal

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
You’d get long odds Utd finishing higher than Liverpool or Arsenal
Not particularly long odds. I bet for a living. It's less likely to happen I agree, but it can.

You got far bigger odds after we lost to Brentford last year, and we comfortably finished ahead of liverpool. Different times, just an example.

Wilt

Not particularly long odds. I bet for a living. It's less likely to happen I agree, but it can.

You got far bigger odds after we lost to Brentford last year, and we comfortably finished ahead of liverpool. Different times, just an example.
Fair enough that’s your opinion. Personally think this Utd team is about as bad as I’ve seen seen since SAF.

laughtersassassin

It's hard to fathom just how pathetic we have been so far. I'd say we will get 50 goals which is still insanely bad.

I said all summer we will be fecked in terms of goalscoring. It was clear as day Rashford wouldn't repeat last year as that was obviously a purple patch. Essentially we purposely went into this season with little to no prospect of being able to increase on our already pitiful goal tally.

Disgraceful planning by the club.

We should really buy Ivan Toney in Jan and then maybe try play him and Hojlund together. Least we might start to bully some defenses. Our wingers are mostly a waste of space so it's worth a try to play two strikers.

Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Fair enough that’s your opinion. Personally think this Utd team is about as bad as I’ve seen seen since SAF.
It's not a top team.

Villa and Brighton both likly to go deep in Europe. Will Newcastle get distracted? Is Spurs a new manager bounce run? Arsenal are flattering to deceive on results so far.

So many things can change. Utd are far more like to come 6th and up than otherwise, that's my point here- will stop there!

Leftback99

Current odds suggest we're around 42% likely to finish top 6.

Redfrog

I feel like we had a negative goal difference since forever.

Belisarius

That's still not really good enough either though for a club like United. I really want EtH to succeed here but it's tiresome that we've had a decade of mostly really shite football, often laboring to wins or just seeing games out. At this rate we're probably going to have yet another season of poor goal difference and disappointing goals scored.

I just really miss that ruthlessness of our teams of old even when our defence was terrible (01-02 season for example).
I agree it's not good enough. But, sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward.

I'm glad we picked up Hojlund. He will be playing well for us for the next decade. If he doesn't move to Madrid or Barcelona, Garnacho could also be very successful here for a long time. We'll suffer a bit while they develop. But, I would much rather that than another Casemiro type signing at striker where we spend a fortune to improve for a year or two and then are right back where we started at they rapidly age out.

I just don't understand how we still don't have ANYBODY to play right wing after all the money we have thrown at the position. I really hope Amad pans out in that position.

Nogbadthebad

Probably not.

Which is why the only transfer we needed to make certain of last summer was kane.

Goalie, Mount, YTS striker? All nice, but it was essential we got someone who could give us 30 goals and assits.

Take all the new players out, put Kane in last years team, and we would be better than now. And yes, with the money we spent on those players, we could have afforded kane and his wages. There is a reason Neville expected him to sign for us.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
FA Cup run and win was nice, Martial, Rashford emergence, that weird run when we were playing Guillermo Varela (and beating Arsenal) Around December was horrific stuff though. Funnily I remember wins early enough against West Brom at home (2-0, Lingard lovely goal) and Watford late winner away and Herrera going mental in the dugout where I really thought we could put up a title challenge. Looking now we finished 5 points off second (71-66). Was a weird season. Sadly not even our worst since Sir Alex
The away game to Leicester (late November/early December) was a top of the table clash, it ended 1-1, I think we'd have gone first if it was a win. Very soon after that was the awful awful run of games that lasted till Jan.

ForeverRed1

quarter of the way through the season on 11 goals, so it’s touch and go.

just looking at the table and it’s worrying when you see that West Ham and Brentford have scored more goals than you. Really worrying. Wolves are on par with us and this is a team that is notorious for not scoring goals. Bad times.

Lack of ambition in summer costing us.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
With the amount of attacking and creative firepower we have?
Let me remind you that this so called attacking and creative firepower have scored 3 goals so far between them.

Matt Varnish

I can't see 50 league goals in this team, unless we get in a top striker in January.
Personally I think ECL qualification will be a struggle.

tomaldinho1

This all comes back to the midfield and injuries. Sort both to a decent level and we'll easily hit 50 goals but there's no balance in how we play and we really need to grow up as a team and move on from being so reliant on one or two players.

Belisarius

I was looking back at the stats from the 2019/2020 season.

Martial - 23 goals
Rashford - 22 goals
Greenwood - 17 goals

I remember thinking the front-line was sorted for years to come. It's really sad that for various reasons all 3 have sunk so far so fast. Rashford and Martial were beyond disappointing against Newcastle.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We're 9 league games in, and we have scored just 11 goals so far.

With our lowly return up to now, averaging 1.22 goals per game, we are on course to reach 46 goals by the end of the season (1.22 goals x 38 games).

Do you think we can do better than our projected amount, and reach at least 50?

Our goals scored in the past five league campaigns:
2022/23 = 58
2021/22 = 57
2020/21 = 73
2019/20 = 66
2018/19 = 65
We’re still on track for 46 goals.