Will we see a new mature Pogba in the new season?

Beagle

He was quite good last season as well. But yes I agree we will see him kick on to a higher level. Winning the world cup and playing an integral part in that win will have given him huge confidence. He is going to be the best midfielder in the league.

togg

Anyone else worried that the World Cup medal will mean we’ll actually get a worse version of the player we saw last season?

His biggest problem last seadon (IMHO) was getting too caught up in his own hype. Taking too much on, taking too many touches, trying to beat too many men. Basically trying too hard to catch the eye. My worry is that “Paul Pogba, World Cup Winner” will have an even more inflated self perception. Which is not good news for United.
Yep. The self hype will be in overdrive, which I kind of understand considering his personality. I think his relationship with Mourinho will be pushed to the limit next season, possibly to breaking point. If occasionally he didn't listen to the coaches last season, he might feel even more qualified to turn a deaf ear this season.

Might be totally wrong of course.....but a worry? Yes....

GM K

What has not been tried for Pogba?
Formations have been changed for him..He has played in a midfield two. He has been moved to 'the left of a midfield three'. He has been fixed. He has been allowed to roam. Matic was bought to 'free' him. Fred has been bought to 'free' him. Lukaku was bought to replace Zlatan and give Pogba an attacking outlet. He has been given the captain's armband. He has been praised. He has been criticized. He has been played. He has been benched. Potential signings have been ignored because 'we already have Pogba' Etc. Pogba, Pogba, Pogba, Pogba. Everything is Pogba at United.

I hope he delivers big time for us before he leaves for another club. Something that seems more and more inevitable if all the rumours are to be believed.

Sing you a song

Pogba had a good World Cup without a doubt but my concern is that World Cup football suits him it has generally a slower pace leaving him more time on the ball for him to pick his passes , this is why he was such a success in Italy where football is played at this slower tempo , however put him in the premiership where everything is far more frantic and he isn’t allowed that time then he struggles.
The premiership won’t change it is what it is and that’s what makes it the most exciting and predictable lge in the world , my fear is that he just won’t be able to adapt I think he is far more suited to Italy or Spain .

Sylar

Problem for Pogba is the pricetag, so people expect him to be defensively sound (like Kante), to assist goals (like hes Ozil vs smaller teams), and to score them as well (like Ronaldo), on top of running games (like Modric).

For United, hes had people missing sitters which would have seen his assists become double figures easily (if not close to 20). And I mean actual sitters, not half chances either. With that, you can bet his performances would have been rated higher despite being the same.

I think a lot was made about Kante and Matuidi (and yes I think playing in a three gets the best out of him). But I dont think its just Kante, cos Pogba and France looked much better when Kante went off yesterday. (although thats one game).
I think one of Pogbas best games last season was Everton away. I also think for Pogba, having Mbappe and Greizman gets more out of his ability than anything we have at United. Weve seen signs of him linking with Martial and Lingard at times but not enough.

togg

I'm no tactician or particularly knowledgeable about the various styles , but I suppose the other thing to consider is that the World Cup is not the Premier League, that the football in the later is different? Perhaps that comes into it all as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I will just say three thing and people draw the conclusions that they want. According to Pogba, Deschamps talks a lot with him about positioning and tactics, he doesn't have the same instruction with France and United, his french teammates help him by repositioning him on the field.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm no tactician or particularly knowledgeable about the various styles , but I suppose the other thing to consider is that the World Cup is not the Premier League, that the football in the later is different? Perhaps that comes into it all as well.
Dunno about the football but, mentally, it’s completely different. Easy to get your head in gear for a handful of incredibly high profile games in quick succession. Different story when it comes to staying hungry and focussed through the grind of 38 league games.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I will just say three thing and people draw the conclusions that they want. According to Pogba, Deschamps talks a lot with him about positioning and tactics, he doesn't have the same instruction with France and United, his french teammates help him by repositioning him on the field.
Feck me. That’s a damning admission. Sort of thing you’d only expect to hear from a teenager.

JPRouve

Scout
Feck me. That’s a damning admission. Sort of thing you’d only expect to hear from a teenager.
Not really, it's how a team work. Other players will spot something from their POV, in this case he mentioned Varane and Griezmann as examples, and they will tell a player that he should change his positioning in order to deal with a problem, it's indicative to how Pogba is receptive to his teammates inputs and how they trust each others. Also Pogba didn't mention it but he did the same things during the WC.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not really, it's how a team work. Other players will spot something from their POV, in this case he mentioned Varane and Griezmann as examples, and they will tell a player that he should change his positioning in order to deal with a problem, it's indicative to how Pogba is receptive to his teammates inputs and how they trust each others. Also Pogba didn't mention it but he did the same things during the WC.
Sure. Footballers talk to each other on the pitch. That’s just a normal part of football. When it gets a special mention like this, though, it sounds like he needs special treatment. Which is odd. Either that or nobody talks to each other at United. Which is also odd (but unlikely)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
you'd love to think so, wouldn't you. I reckon if he doesn't improve this season, he's gone

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think it depends on three things:
1. Pogba: does he think he's beyond instruction and criticism from Mourinho after a good World Cup; is he prepared for the long, not so glamourous graft of a full season and finally: is his head still in it for this club?
2. Is Mourinho going to supplement him with quality so he doesn't have to think he's Roy Of The Rovers and can focus on himself and his game? And will Mourinho enable his midfield to express itself with the ball?
3. Are we going to settle on a system and style and let the players grow within it? Or constantly cater for the opposition and be conciliatory when facing top class sides?

With France, the approach doesn't change and the belief in what they are and what they do gives the collective a conviction of purpose we've not had here since Fergie retired. Instilling belief and then allowing expression on top of it would see a Pogba you could rely upon for 7s or 8s all season long no matter whether he's played deep(France) or further forward (Juve).

gza the genius

No. Convincing/motivating him to play a certain way for six games or so to win a world cup is much different from convincing him to play a certain way for an entire season. I just think Pogba and Mourinho don't get along and therefore Pogba seems to lack motivation for us.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
One thing that's occurred to me about this narrative regarding Pogab being a much more mature, pragmatic and effective player at this World Cup is the contrast to how he got on at the Euros in 2016. That was playing in the same team, under the same manager, in a tournament where France were the host nation. And he ended up getting (justifiably) slated, after a run of poor performances.

The only difference between then and now (other than, obviously, his age) is that we was playing for Manchester United before the WC and Juventus before the Euros. Perhaps the Manchester United coaching staff deserve some credit for the more disciplined and effective version of Paul Pogba we're finally seeing on the world stage?

JPRouve

Scout
One thing that's occurred to me about this narrative regarding Pogab being a much more mature, pragmatic and effective player at this World Cup is the contrast to how he got on at the Euros in 2016. That was playing in the same team, under the same manager, in a tournament where France were the host nation. And he ended up getting (justifiably) slated, after a run of poor performances.

The only difference between then and now (other than, obviously, his age) is that we was playing for Manchester United before the WC and Juventus before the Euros. Perhaps the Manchester United coaching staff deserve some credit for the more disciplined and effective version of Paul Pogba we're finally seeing on the world stage?
He was good at the Euro though, people weren't happy because he was in the same conservative role, at the time on here it was Deschamps who was lambasted because he was putting shakles on Pogba, a player that everyone wanted to see play higher. Also we always go back to Pogba's own words, Deschamps and Mourinho are different persons and give him different instructions.

RedDevil@84

Don't really expect him to be wonderfully different. Hopefully signing of Fred makes him better.
I somehow feel he is more motivated for France than Utd. Maybe I am wrong.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Anyone else worried that the World Cup medal will mean we’ll actually get a worse version of the player we saw last season?

His biggest problem last seadon (IMHO) was getting too caught up in his own hype. Taking too much on, taking too many touches, trying to beat too many men. Basically trying too hard to catch the eye. My worry is that “Paul Pogba, World Cup Winner” will have an even more inflated self perception. Which is not good news for United.
That's probably not healthy. One of your players just won the world cup and you think he'll turn into a diva.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He was good at the Euro though, people weren't happy because he was in the same conservative role, at the time on here it was Deschamps who was lambasted because he was putting shakles on Pogba, a player that everyone wanted to see play higher. Also we always go back to Pogba's own words, Deschamps and Mourinho are different persons and give him different instructions.
Really? I remember him as being poor. I think his contributions in the WC are being a little over-hyped but he’s been miles more effective/impressive than he was in the Euros IMO.

And I’m not alluding to specific instructions from Mourinho vs Deschamps. I just think you can argue that his development as a player leading up to this tournament is something that the United coasching staff (all of them, including Carrick etc. ) maybe deserve a bit more credit for.

JPRouve

Scout
Really? I remember him as being poor. I think his contributions in the WC are being a little over-hyped but he’s been miles more effective/impressive than he was in the Euros IMO.

And I’m not alluding to specific instructions from Mourinho vs Deschamps. I just think you can argue that his development as a player leading up to this tournament is something that the United coasching staff (all of them, including Carrick etc. ) maybe deserve a bit more credit for.
He was pretty good, iirc he had the best defensive stats of the competition for a CM. It's just that it wasn't what people wanted from him but it was exactly what Deschamps wanted, particularly with Matuidi who despite what some think isn't at his best in a midfield two.

Varun

Staff
Don't think it will have much of an impact. He was fine with the restricted role because it's the world cup. He'll want more freedom here which isn't a problem because that's how we're building up anyway.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
“Turn into”?
One thing is to be a bit flamboyant and tricky on the ball, the other is to win the World cup and use it as justification to play for yourself.

At the moment, Pogba is just that type of flair player. If in the new season he dials things up by 100% then he will be a diva.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
One thing is to be a bit flamboyant and tricky on the ball, the other is to win the World cup and use it as justification to play for yourself.

At the moment, Pogba is just that type of flair player. If in the new season he dials things up by 100% then he will be a diva.
Dunno about 100% but yes, that's exactly my concern. A concern which is, according to you, "not healthy".

FWIW, it looks like we also disagree on whether being "flamboyant and a bit tricky" can be a negative. Last season it was frequently exactly that. Taking too long to release the ball, taking on too many opposing players and generally trying to do too much. It wasn't a problem in every game he played but it was an obvious weakness in his game that often made us less effective as a team.

Kapardin

Pogba doesn't seem to be meeting eye to eye with Jose and even talked up a potential transfer away from us. Therefore, it might be challenging to get him to find the same level of motivation he had with France.

But if Jose can properly motivate him and he has a storming season, he might consider staying. Things change in football.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Dunno about 100% but yes, that's exactly my concern. A concern which is, according to you, "not healthy".
I'd say it's not healthy. Unless you know Pogba personally you will have no idea how he will react to this. All you've done is used his indulgent style of play to surmise that he is an indulgent person in general. It might even get worse if you're using his social media antics to judge how he is as a person, there's no way you can get an understanding of his personality from social media snippets.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone that says there is something wrong with Pogba's attitude. Plenty have said there is something wrong with his consistency but not his professionalism.