Will you watch the first womens Manchester derby at Old Trafford tomorrow? (Man United vs Man City - Sun 19 Nov at 4:30pm)

Lightbringer

45 000+ tickets have been sold atm and for the first time the club has been using the main Manchester United social media channels with help of mens teams players to help doing PR for it.

Will we have any first time visitors from this board?

Everyone should get behind the ladies, the club needs any success it can get and the womens team are proud to wear the United badge.

Every UTD fan should support them, the girls deserve it!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yes I'll be watching at Old Trafford - not actually seen the Women at OT before, but been to a few games at other stadiums

It's live on Sky in the UK

Tarrou

nah, i can't get into women's football

lets be honest its shite but nobody likes to say it

Bwuk

Pretty much. If I'm at a loose end it might go on, but the standard is woeful. I reckon most amateur football sides I've played in would absolutely leather them.

I've played with/against someone who currently plays with Real Madrid ladies side, this isn't an exaggeration.

Lightbringer

There are plenty of people that likes womens football! And I would say in general people are very quick to say its shite without even watching any of it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Unfortunately people say it all the time!
The massive growth in viewing figures would suggest many don't agree though

Obviously the standard is not the same as the Men's but then our blokes are regularly shite too but we still all watch

Lightbringer

Unfortunately people say it all the time!
The massive growth in viewing figures would suggest many don't agree though
Considering womens football was outright banned in England (for how long was it again?) the WSL has come a long way! Womens football has had rough patch to overcome in England in particular because of that.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I don’t think it’s fair to compare the standard of football with the men’s game. There are too many variables in the mix (from physical traits to tactical approaches etc).

We should enjoy women’s football for what it is.

Whatsername

I‘m not interested in the women’s team so won’t be watching, I can’t get into women’s football (and this is coming from a female).

I’ve spent 40 years watching the men, in good times and bad, and that‘s where my heart lies.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I once tried to watch the women's FA Cup final and it was absolutely atrocious. Now it may have improved since then but due to my lack of time to watch stuff, there's no way I am watching.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I really tried to get into the woman’s game at the World Cup. There were a couple of decent games. Japan were excellent. But it’s very hard to watch/enjoy if you’re used to watching the men’s game. And I say this as someone who watches men’s games at a very low level (League of Ireland)

There are loads of leagues I don’t watch across Europe which produce top quality football. So if there was room in my life to watch more football I’d watch one of them instead.

EDIT: Having said all that I’ll probably watch tomorrow’s game anyway. As I can’t really be arsed with this batch of international fixtures, so may as well give this a crack.

JediSith

Great stuff. I noticed the social media push and thought it was a new thing. Wish them all the best.

Patchbeard

Thanks for the heads up, had no idea it was derby day so will give it a watch. Physically it's not the same game, but there are some exciting players who get you on the edge of your seat all the same. Hopefully Geyse starts tomorrow, as she is one of those.

Lightbringer

Not until they make the goals smaller
Now, I am a big fan of womens football, and I want the ball in the womens game to be slighly smaller or less heavy so that the women can the same kind velocity in shots as men. And I am not complaining about the state of the womens game as it is. I just think that having more heavy shots from distance will be exciting and also dont reward teams that park the bus.

But I usually get crucified by my fellow womens supporters whenever I mention this. However myself I dont find anything offensive with the proposal as I am in no way mean any foul towards women or the womens game.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
There are plenty of people that likes womens football! And I would say in general people are very quick to say its shite without even watching any of it.

It's pretty shite tbh, but it is also fun to watch at times, and doesn't have any of the pathetic whining, diving, pretending to be injured every 5 minutes, etc. That puts me off the men's game so often these days. I hope it continues to develop enough to become a decent alternative, without imheriting any of the crap.

45,000 tickets is fairly impressive.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Watch the occasional game, I’ll stick this on if I’m in and not doing a lot and I remember. I watched the second half of arsenal vs Leicester the other night, and that was decent. Bit shit seeing Alessia Russo scoring for someone else though!

Matt Varnish

I'll be at work, but it's not moment too soon for the women to get the recognition they deserve.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Not until they make the goals smaller
I agree.
The level has improved but some of the goalkeeping is atrocious. I did enjoy some of the games at the WC, but I think you need to like it for what it is and not compare it to men's football. Just don't see myself watching it regularly but I definitely hope it goes from strength to strength and leads to more and more girls playing football.

Demon Barber

Now, I am a big fan of womens football, and I want the ball in the womens game to be slighly smaller or less heavy so that the women can the same kind velocity in shots as men. And I am not complaining about the state of the womens game as it is. I just think that having more heavy shots from distance will be exciting and also dont reward teams that park the bus.

But I usually get crucified by my fellow womens supporters whenever I mention this. However myself I dont find anything offensive with the proposal as I am in no way mean any foul towards women or the womens game.
I'll crucify you for this ;) Personally I think it is fine as it is. That said, in women's cricket they use a smaller ball and the boundaries are (or are allowed to be) shorter.

Lightbringer

I'll crucify you for this ;) Personally I think it is fine as it is. That said, in women's cricket they use a smaller ball and the boundaries are (or are allowed to be) shorter.
Yeah, I do agree its fine as it is, but think it could be fine as sweet wine with a few tweeks ;) I think we have gotten some interesting responses in this thread overall. I also managed to convince a man on facebook to buy tickets to the game, so I am pretty satisfied with myself.

Note: I also managed to get quoted by horsechoker in the "Posts that feel sexual but aren't" thread :D

I reckon thats the stable commanders unique way of approving this thread and the womens team :devil:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Thanks for the heads up, had no idea it was derby day so will give it a watch. Physically it's not the same game, but there are some exciting players who get you on the edge of your seat all the same. Hopefully Geyse starts tomorrow, as she is one of those.
Job done for the this thread then !

I'm sure Geyse starts - some other selection headaches for the manager between Parris, Miyazawa, Ladd, Garcia and Malard though

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's pretty shite tbh, but it is also fun to watch at times, and doesn't have any of the pathetic whining, diving, pretending to be injured every 5 minutes, etc. That puts me off the men's game so often these days. I hope it continues to develop enough to become a decent alternative, without imheriting any of the crap.

45,000 tickets is fairly impressive.
No VAR either is a massive bonus !

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I'll be there with seven of my family, it'll be a first Women's team match for one of them. We include one current and three former men's season ticket holders. None of us had been to a women's pro match before United women started, two of us have Women's season tickets now.

Personally it irritates me that the biggest crowd for a women's match at OT is for England not United. In fact I think the record women's club crowd at Old Trafford isn't for a United match either - that record is almost certainly held by a pre-ban match and a team called Dick, Kerr Ladies. We'll get there - in fact we should get that club football record today.

Why go? Who knows you might like it - it might be worth a try at £15/head. You'll even be able to get tickets near your friends and family - more or less impossible at OT normally. You won't see men's football, they're women. You will see a decent standard of football - it's massively changed over the past ten years. Who knows - ten minutes in you might be like my brother (who watched the Busby Babes as a kid) shouting at the fullback to stop passing it sideways and get it down the wing to Galton.

Darkhorsez

I'll be there with seven of my family. We include one current and three former men's season ticket holders. None of us had been to a women's pro match before United women started, two of us have Women's season tickets now.

Personally it irritates me that the biggest crowd for a women's match at OT is for England not United. In fact I think the record women's club crowd at Old Trafford isn't for a United match either - that record is almost certainly held by a pre-ban match and a team called Dick, Kerr Ladies. We'll get there - in fact we should get that club football record today.

Why go? Who knows you might like it - it might be worth a try at £12/head. You'll even be able to get tickets near your friends and family - more or less impossible at OT normally. You won't see men's football, they're women. You will see a decent standard of football - it's massively changed over the past ten years. Who knows - ten minutes in you might be like my brother (who watched the Busby Babes as a kid) shouting at the fullback to stop passing it sideways and get it down the wing to Galton.
Such a great post! Enjoy!