Will you watch the Women's World Cup?

mitChley

Really enjoy Womens football. Worrying how many still comment on the quality.

It's not mens football, why are some so adamant about comparing them?
Because they can use the guise of comparing them to let their casual sexism out.

Bobski

Probably a bit. What I find interesting as a watcher is how it has developed. 20 years it was a genuinely abysmal standard, terrible depth of talent. 10 years ago it had clearly improved and watching the last Euro's the standard had significantly risen again, much more balanced teams in terms of gap between the best players in a squad and the weakest, solid technical base, the fitness standards had risen. I think the USA team take credit for that last part, dominated for a long time through preparation and being physically better, and the rest have responded.

So yes, interested to see if it continues, maybe even the keepers can get to a non liability state.

Bobski

Complete waste of time. I also didn’t watch United much under LvG and Moyes. I might watch the highlights of the semis and finals but not the full matches. Some of the matches will be no better than watching academy football, and I mean under 16s.
U 16 level would be much higher in truth, not that it matters.

keithsingleton

On the eve of the most publicised Womens World Cup ever, I want to gage how much interest the RedCafe massive have in the tournament

This will be the first WWC I take a serious interest in, in 2019 I watched a couple of Lionesses matches and thats it - even that was partly down to Phil Neville being the manager

I took a lot more interest in last summer's Women's Euros since it was hosted in England, watched all Lionesses game and several others on TV plus attended the epic final at Wembley

As it's in Australia & New Zealand, kick off times are going to be a problem for European audiences but I'll watch all the Lionesses' matches and get the highlights of the rest in the groups then hopefully a decent amount of the knockouts

So what level of interest do you have for this tournament? (And yes I fully expect that it will be 'None' for many!)
Yeah I’m in the category none by many, pub standard football not for me.

redsunited

No, It is for the same reason, I don’t watch lower league football. If the quality increases and become as exciting as men’s top league football, then ‘yes’ in future.

Camilo

Yeah, I hated watching my brother’s little league baseball games since it wasn’t the MLB.
I certainly hated watching my little brothers football games, because they were objectively shit. That's why I watch the EPL and tend not to watch the SPL.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Yeah, I hated watching my brother’s little league baseball games since it wasn’t the MLB.
There are many here who only exclusively watch PL football, cause they think the rest of the leagues are low quality, and that includes Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivisie, etc

mitChley

It's a good job a lot of these people support Manchester United as they seem to hate any football below EPL. They'd probably have an aneurysm if they went and watched a non league match (you should, it's great).

Pronewbie

Peep
Complete waste of time. I also didn’t watch United much under LvG and Moyes. I might watch the highlights of the semis and finals but not the full matches. Some of the matches will be no better than watching academy football, and I mean under 16s.
Yikes I'm the same too. But to be fair I recall the USA vs Japan final couple WCs ago being highly entertaining. Wouldn't pay to watch it, though.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Off topic but here in Auckland right now in our central business district we have a possible active shooter situation, massive amount of police, armed police, helicopters and ambulances have filled the area. Reason it may be relevant is there are a couple of WC teams in hotels in the area, the US embassy is nearby and the first game is here in Auckland tonight.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Absolutely. As a Canadian women's football helped get me into the sport itself.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Probably the Ireland matches because at least they can reach a World Cup unlike our shite men’s teams but not much else, the quality is really poor, unfortunately.

it’s not like tennis where the women’s game has a different sort of dimension and fluidity to the men’s game, it’s just like watching amateurs play much worse than professionals.

Stack

One thing with respect to the quality aspect. Do those of you who are complaining about the quality only watch elite level sport?

Carolina Red

Staff
I certainly hated watching my little brothers football games, because they were objectively shit. That's why I watch the EPL and tend not to watch the SPL.
That’s great. I’m sure he appreciated your support.
There are many here who only exclusively watch PL football, cause they think the rest of the leagues are low quality, and that includes Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivisie, etc
I personally don’t see the point in saying apples are shit because they don’t taste like oranges, but that’s just me.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Just like most, absolutely not.

Similarly to the WNBA it’s just not fun to watch and the interest pool is very small if any at all.

Granted nowadays you will get crucified for saying such a truth.

Massive Spanner

One thing with respect to the quality aspect. Do those of you who are complaining about the quality only watch elite level sport?
The quality is probably comparable to the National League, if even to be honest, as I saw a few Wrexham games last season and they felt like a much higher standard. And yeah, I only really watch the PL and the odd big championship game.

I do watch my home team in the League of Ireland which is also a bit shite in standard but that’s why I’ll also watch the Irish games.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Then again…..Giulia Gwinn and Alex Morgan are DEFINITELY worth watching so maybe I’ll catch a game or two’ :wenger:;):drool:

Stack

The quality is probably comparable to the National League, if even to be honest, as I saw a few Wrexham games last season and they felt like a much higher standard. And yeah, I only really watch the PL and the odd big championship game.

I do watch my home team in the League of Ireland which is also a bit shite in standard but that’s why I’ll also watch the Irish games.
I didnt frame it very well. Its not a criticism as much I was wondering about that aspect. For example I only really watch the grand slam tennis events but dont watch any other tennis. I do watch grass roots football, junior and youth football and local club stuff but thats because I have an active involvement.

damoley

Absolutely yes. Attending a couple of games and probably one of the quarter finals, be rude not to when it’s in your neck of the woods.

Carolina Red

Staff
but even our worst team post SAF would absolutely demolish any of those World Cup teams
Yes, and the winner of the Little League World Series would get demolished by the worst team in the MLB.

But I don’t see why that matters in deciding on whether or not to watch the Little League World Series.

Massive Spanner

Yes, and the winner of the Little League World Series would get demolished by the worst team in the MLB.

But I don’t see why that matters in deciding on whether or not to watch the Little League World Series.
Your example of our Utd team made no sense given the difference in quality which is the reason most people don’t watch the women’s football.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Yeah I’ll watch England.

The English womens success is brilliant on the caf….it pits the general hatred of England against the desperate urge to be seen supporting the womens game. Let the mental gymnastics begin :D

Carolina Red

Staff
Your example of our Utd team made no sense given the difference in quality which is the reason most people don’t watch the women’s football.
I was making a joke out of comparing the poor quality of recent United teams to the heady days of SAF. I’m sorry if that’s confused you.

And I’m aware of why people say they don’t watch women’s football, I just think it isn’t very logical of them to compare the women’s game to the men’s game. Comes across as very thinly veiled sexism.

SER19

It's just not for me. Not only do I find it too low quality, but any conversation around it is cloaked with gender politics and a risk of being called sexist or worse for even slight criticisms. The messaging around it can be very hypocritical too, whereby we are correctly told that it is a different sport to the mens game so pointless to compare, and also inundated with articles doing just that. Most sports watchers only really have time to watch the peak of each sport, Wimbledon finals, the Rugby World cup and the Olympics for example. Most people don't want the lesser competitions of these sports and avoid them without being patronised or judged. Lastly, the men's game and its coverage is making huge strides to be more 'inclusive' in all coverage, whereas the womens game celebrates it's almost all female coverage. So if you do watch both sports, you're not seeing equality.

In terms of other issues, there is an enormous wealth divide in the womens international game that is markedly absent from coverage.

Senior womens teams dont uncommonly arrange friendlies against under 15 boys teams, so its a reasonable marker of where the standard is. You could make an argument that in terms of elite sport, there may be no other sport in the world that receives such coverage and money, relative to the standard.

Im generally a fan of female sports and think team sports are excellent for all boys and girls. But at the moment, Im not alone in feeling like its being slightly imposed on the followers of the men's game- which so many are at pains to emphasise is a different sport.

Massive Spanner

I was making a joke out of comparing the poor quality of recent United teams to the heady days of SAF. I’m sorry if that’s confused you.

And I’m aware of why people say they don’t watch women’s football, I just think it isn’t very logical of them to compare the women’s game to the men’s game. Comes across as very thinly veiled sexism.
I literally said in my post that I knew you were being tongue in cheek.

sexism? For feck sake, I gave solid reasons as to why I will watch women’s tennis but not women’s football. Hint: because it’s entertaining.

PSV

It is logical. You are comparing the enjoyment offered and by extent considering whether or not it's worth your time. It's not a dig at woman's football to claim it doesn't intrigue or interest as much due to the lower pace.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Just like most, absolutely not.

Similarly to the WNBA it’s just not fun to watch and the interest pool is very small if any at all.

Granted nowadays you will get crucified for saying such a truth.
I've not counted the responses in here, but doesn't seem like most from the comments

Maybe a poll would have been interesting