Will you watch the Women's World Cup?

Bole Top

I don't understand why people having standards is suddenly a problem.

my local team play their games literally in the middle of the forest and while I can't imagine more beautiful place to watch the game and relax, I still don't go to their games because the level is comical. I also don't watch low level tennis or low level handball.

it was never a problem before this thread. I simply can't enjoy bad football. I also can't enjoy bad music or bad movies. is that suddenly not allowed or?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Will probably watch some of Norways matches.
Im going to the first game tonight, Norway v NZ. Should be an easy win for Norway, unfortunately the weather forecast isnt great, might rain during the game. Middle of winter here. Should be a decent crowd at the game.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I've not counted the responses in here, but doesn't seem like most from the comments

Maybe a poll would have been interesting
I don’t know about the forum per say but I mean In comparison to the viewership of the men’s game.

Carolina Red

Staff
It is logical. You are comparing the enjoyment offered and by extent considering whether or not it's worth your time. It's not a dig at woman's football to claim it doesn't intrigue or interest as much due to the lower pace.
I’ve not read what you said about it either.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Im going to the first game tonight, Norway v NZ. Should be an easy win for Norway, unfortunately the weather forecast isnt great, might rain during the game. Middle of winter here. Should be a decent crowd at the game.
I heard the ticket sales haven't been great in NZ but are they at least a sell out for the NZ games ?

Stack

I heard the ticket sales haven't been great in NZ but are they at least a sell out for the NZ games ?
The big games have decent crowds but the lesser games have been poor. One problem is here in NZ we are so used to walk up ticket sales that we arent that used to only being able to buy tickets online. I think there are going to be some games with pretty poor crowds, this winter has been pretty miserable weather wise here and with the games being live on free to air tv here I think we will find lots of Kiwis will simply watch from the comfort of their living room. Another problem is Football is about 4th on the ranking list of NZ interest both with respect to mens and womens sports, add in the fact we have a pretty weak team and its an uphill battle getting people to go

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
As a League Of Ireland fan, you get used to this quality of debate. People saying that the quality level just isn't for them I can respect, the highest level draws the most eyes, it's the ones chomping at the bit to tell you how they wouldn't be caught dead watching that shite and that they're brave bastions of truth for saying so that do your head in. That seems to go double for the women's game.

Stack

Nice, hope we take it. Do you have any info on the incident close to the hotels?
Incident close to the hotels is still going on. There were reports of two gunmen on a multi story building site. Apparently one is dead and the other is pinned down in one area of the building site by police. No idea what they were trying to do so its still on going. Its completely unexpected here, hopefully all sorted out soon.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They want it to succeed so badly it's becoming a joke because no criticism possible and cheering all the way. Then I get critical and when you open your eyes what you see ain't good. But I did not pay attention commenting so I'm not coming out of this smelling like roses either.
This sounds exactly like the Dutch men's team post-1998. O hope you dislike them equally.
I've seen Diego Maradonna being assulted every step of the way and he got on with it, many many examples like that. That I can get behind.
You have seen Maradona getting the ahit kicked out of him in meaningless training matches just before a WC? Well then.
It was typical female weakness where when they don't like something they throw their toys out of the pram and go home while crying about the unfairness of it all and how they need to be treated better.
You wot mate. You could just have led with 'women are lesser humans', it helps contextualize the rest of your posts.

BootsyCollins

Incident close to the hotels is still going on. There were reports of two gunmen on a multi story building site. Apparently one is dead and the other is pinned down in one area of the building site by police. No idea what they were trying to do so its still on going. Its completely unexpected here, hopefully all sorted out soon.
Thanks. Hope its nothing that interferes with the match/players and you have a great time at the stadium.
Wierd to read about things like that happening in NZ. I dont know if its because its close to the Norwegian team that i see it in Norwegian newspapers or that it seldom happens there.

Stack

As a League Of Ireland fan, you get used to this quality of debate. People saying that the quality level just isn't for them I can respect, the highest level draws the most eyes, it's the ones chomping at the bit to tell you how they wouldn't be caught dead watching that shite and that they're brave bastions of truth for saying so that do your head in. That seems to go double for the women's game.
I think one thing that some who hate the quality forget is the whole beauty of sport during these special events. There are a whole pile of teams and players you wont usually get to watch, the games all end up with their own drama and excitement and if you get into it you can get caught up in all the mini stories within games and teams. The Olympics come around every 4 years and I find myself watching sports I never ever watch and know nothing about and love all the competition and drama. Even sports that normally bore me stupid grab my attention. Last Olympics I watched kayak racing. I have no idea what the quality level was like but it was great watching all the competition and drama.
Sport doesnt have to be the very best quality to be entertaining and compelling.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The big games have decent crowds but the lesser games have been poor. One problem is here in NZ we are so used to walk up ticket sales that we arent that used to only being able to buy tickets online. I think there are going to be some games with pretty poor crowds, this winter has been pretty miserable weather wise here and with the games being live on free to air tv here I think we will find lots of Kiwis will simply watch from the comfort of their living room. Another problem is Football is about 4th on the ranking list of NZ interest both with respect to mens and womens sports, add in the fact we have a pretty weak team and its an uphill battle getting people to go
I totally expect some lesser games will not be well attended but I would expect it to be a sell out for the NZ team hosting a tournament, real shame if it isn't

Stack

Thanks. Hope its nothing that interferes with the match/players and you have a great time at the stadium.
Wierd to read about things like that happening in NZ. I dont know if its because its close to the Norwegian team that i see it in Norwegian newspapers or that it seldom happens there.
Im really looking forward to seeing your team play. Some seriously brilliant players in the team.

Stack

I totally expect some lesser games will not be well attended but I would expect it to be a sell out for the NZ team hosting a tournament, real shame if it isn't
I think the NZ games are all close to sell outs as well as the USA games.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It's interesting to see so many outright noes in here given the fact that viewing figures for women's football have grown steadily in recent years in the UK and indeed across must of Europe. The Euro 22 Final was an anomaly because it featured England - but still, it attracted around 20m viewers (the men got around 30m the year before). That's up from WWC 2019 when the top viewing figures were for the England SF loss to USA with about 11m.

Is it the same as the men's game? No, they're women. Is it entertaining? It can be - it's football, there's no guarantee that a particular match will be entertaining and even less guarantee that you personally will enjoy it. But that's not primarily about the tactical and technical quality of the top players and teams - that's high and improving.

I'll be watching a lot of games - not as many as I watched during WWC19, because of the timings. Still, I bet I watch enough to enjoy some, get bored by others and I'll probably even switch off the odd one or two completely. Not that different to how I watch men's tournaments really.

Roosney

Heck yeah. Finland didn't qualify but still heck yeah. Love me some football tournaments during summer holidays.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'd probably have a few of the games running on the side, but these woke kickoff times the MSM keep pushing on people will probably make that too inconvenient.
When did kick off times become woke?

Red Star One

I actually enjoy having some holidays from football and struggle to even keep up to date with United these days, so I guess I keep it light that until the start of the season

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Very confused by some of these random kick off times.

3:30am, 2am, 1am, 3am, but also 12pm and 1pm.

Has there ever been a tournament with a 12 hour difference between kick off times?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Hahahahaa
Yeah normal kick off time here in NZ for an evening game. 7:30pm on a Thursday night.
Some people just moan because it's not in their time zone, some of the comments in this thread are pathetic, given the status of football in NZ it does seem a little surprising it's being hosted there though, is/was there a reason?

Stack

Has there ever been a tournament with a 12 hour difference between kick off times?
Maybe some sort of typo in the times published where you are? 1pm your time is probably 1am here so we wouldnt have a game at 1am. Im presuming you are in the UK?

Carolina Red

Staff
It's interesting to see so many outright noes in here given the fact that viewing figures for women's football have grown steadily in recent years in the UK and indeed across must of Europe. The Euro 22 Final was an anomaly because it featured England - but still, it attracted around 20m viewers (the men got around 30m the year before). That's up from WWC 2019 when the top viewing figures were for the England SF loss to USA with about 11m.

Is it the same as the men's game? No, they're women. Is it entertaining? It can be - it's football, there's no guarantee that a particular match will be entertaining and even less guarantee that you personally will enjoy it. But that's not primarily about the tactical and technical quality of the top players and teams - that's high and improving.

I'll be watching a lot of games - not as many as I watched during WWC19, because of the timings. Still, I bet I watch enough to enjoy some, get bored by others and I'll probably even switch off the odd one or two completely. Not that different to how I watch men's tournaments really.
Well said

Stack

Some people just moan because it's not in their time zone, some of the comments in this thread are pathetic, given the status of football in NZ it does seem a little surprising it's being hosted there though, is/was there a reason?
I think initially Australia wanted to host it alone but were short a couple of venues so we got added in to the bid to sell the bid to FIFA.
Also there is that thing where FIFA tries to grow the game. Even in Australia Football would be the 3rd or 4th most popular game with respect to domestic crowds.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Why do some people care so much that some people don’t watch women’s football? There’s loads of football I don’t watch.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I think initially Australia wanted to host it alone but were short a couple of venues so we got added in to the bid to sell the bid to FIFA.
Also there is that thing where FIFA tries to grow the game. Even in Australia Football would be the 3rd or 4th most popular game with respect to domestic crowds.
TBH it would be 5th at best, Union, League, Aussie Rules and Cricket would come ahead

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Desperate attempt to give the US and Europe TV audiences something to watch. They've tried to schedule so the big teams (with the biggest TV rights deals) can air at a time when most people in their country are awake. Not always possible of course, but they've tried.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
You are probably right. The good thing with the Aussies is they love big sporting events and turn up in big numbers for them.
Yeah and they talk a lot of shite as well, I came across many Aussies in my long ago cricketing days!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

It's because there are various time zones involved - 4 hrs between the most Western and Eastern host cities I think

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Maybe some sort of typo in the times published where you are? 1pm your time is probably 1am here so we wouldnt have a game at 1am. Im presuming you are in the UK?
There are just matches scheduled at ridiculous times. Pattern seems to be American or European countries involved.

Desperate attempt to give the US and Europe TV audiences something to watch. They've tried to schedule so the big teams (with the biggest TV rights deals) can air at a time when most people in their country are awake. Not always possible of course, but they've tried.
This seems mental, and something that's going to have to be abandoned after the group stages anyway, surely?