g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Will you watch the Women's World Cup?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Those who refuse to give Womens football a chance are already missing out

Opening match upset with hosts, who have never before won a match before, beat former World champs with a brilliant counter attack move :drool:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's interesting to see so many outright noes in here given the fact that viewing figures for women's football have grown steadily in recent years in the UK and indeed across must of Europe. The Euro 22 Final was an anomaly because it featured England - but still, it attracted around 20m viewers (the men got around 30m the year before). That's up from WWC 2019 when the top viewing figures were for the England SF loss to USA with about 11m.

Is it the same as the men's game? No, they're women. Is it entertaining? It can be - it's football, there's no guarantee that a particular match will be entertaining and even less guarantee that you personally will enjoy it. But that's not primarily about the tactical and technical quality of the top players and teams - that's high and improving.

I'll be watching a lot of games - not as many as I watched during WWC19, because of the timings. Still, I bet I watch enough to enjoy some, get bored by others and I'll probably even switch off the odd one or two completely. Not that different to how I watch men's tournaments really.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the amount of people who are taking an interest based on this thread, clearly the reach is growing rapidly.
I'm a relatively new convert to Women's football myself and I'm sure there will be many others where this is the first WWC that many take an interest in.

Unfortunately viewing numbers are unlikely to be the best they could, but more due to the time zones than outdated attitudes.

Sure there are some ignorant comments from a portion of posters here but that's to be expected and best ignored.

There is no point comparing the level of Men's and Women's football, I just see them as different things and can enjoy both. I like watching football at all levels, spending a fair bit of time watching grassroots junior football at the moment as my child is involved and obviously that is a far lower level than the Women's World Cup but I still enjoy it as I love football at every level.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I'd say that half the entertainment from sports come from the emotions you have invested. Do you care about the team, competitor or country competing? If so, then the level matters a lot less. If you for instance are English and like football then I can't understand why you wouldn't enjoy watching them play against another strong nation in the knockout rounds. I can understand it not being a top priority and not being as fun as watching the men, but surely it's still interesting? Are you telling me that even if you have nothing to do and you're zapping through channels that you'd still pick Seinfeld re-runs over a semi-final between England and the US?

Last edited:

Andersonson

Those who refuse to give Womens football a chance are already missing out

Opening match upset with hosts, who have never before won a match before, beat former World champs with a brilliant counter attack move :drool:
Its not about refusing, its more about limiting my time spent on football. I watch my local team in Norway and I watch big games in the premier league and every United match. I also have to work, spend time with my wife, kids, family and friends. If its our "job" to make the womens game profitable as well, something has to go.

I do hope, the women themselves gets interested, this cant soley be on the men. Women need to get up and support as well.

I'd say that half the entertainment from sports come from the emotions you have invested. Do you care about the team, competitor or country competing? If so, then the level matters a lot less. If you for instance are English and like football then I can't understand why you wouldn't enjoy watching them play against another strong nation in the knockout rounds. I can understand it not being a top priority and not being as fun as watching the men, but surely it's still interesting? Are you telling me that even if you have nothing to do and you're zapping through channels that you'd still pick Seinfeld re-runs over a semi-final between England and the US for instance?
For a lot of people I think the entertainment also comes from watching a sport you love being played at the very highest level, and you just don't get that in women's football. I watch United because of the emotional attachment but other games I watch because I want to see the best tactics and individual abilities.

Lower level football would be boring as feck on TV but can be fun in person. That is how I feel about the women's game.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yep, I will.

Watched the opening match with my niece just now.

Her takes on what went on were interesting. More precisely, all the things she clearly does not focus on (factors that apparently completely ruin the experience for some posters in this thread).

Dazzmondo

Watching Irish match because I took off work this week but tbh I won't watch most of it due to the awkward times. A shame about the location imo, because following on from the Euros I'd say interest in women's football is at the highest it's ever been and this would be a great chance to build on that, but most people obviously aren't going to watch games at 3:30 in the middle of the night.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Watching Irish match because I took off work this week but tbh I won't watch most of it due to the awkward times. A shame about the location imo, because following on from the Euros I'd say interest in women's football is at the highest it's ever been and this would be a great chance to build on that, but most people obviously aren't going to watch games at 3:30 in the middle of the night.
It's similar to 2002 world cup though, back then the prime time game was at 12pm I think UK time and there was another round half 9-10am but other games would be on early morning.

Still to me one of the most memorable Mens World cup's of my lifetime.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Highly unlikely. I did watch a few matches in the last one but I'm a lot busier than I was then and didn't even realise it was on until yesterday. In the first few replies someone mentioned kick off times and I can't really do them either having just looked them up.

Above all that, my passion for football declines with each passing year. I didn't watch much of the men's tournament. England v France was the only full match I tuned in for and I didn't watch the semis or final at all.Spend much more time reading about football on here than I actually do watching it nowadays. Outside of United games I don't see a lot.

Last edited:

Halftrack

It's not an attitude, it's a preference. If women could run faster than Usain Bolt I'd tune in to watch the women's 100m instead of the men's. If the quality of women's football was on the same level as the men's game I'd watch that too. But that's not the case, so I have no interest. It's no different to any other form of entertainment where we all have our own personal preference for what we enjoy consuming.
I take your point about women's football, it's almost a different game in some respects.

But elite women sprinters are 0.9 seconds slower than elite men sprintrers on average over 100m. It's not like it's an absolute snoozefest in comparison, they're still impressively fast. I'd buy that it was a preference if the average women's time was like 16 seconds, cause that'd be a bit pedestrian by comparison. And isn't it the race between the athletes, rather than the times they finish in, that's the soure of excitement?

Lightbringer

I will watch most of the games, and will be rooting for Sweden and Germany. I have watched womens worlds and euros since 20 years back at least :-) I dont compare it to mens football at all, I dont think about it, just enjoy watching the sport and skilled players!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Its not about refusing, its more about limiting my time spent on football. I watch my local team in Norway and I watch big games in the premier league and every United match. I also have to work, spend time with my wife, kids, family and friends. If its our "job" to make the womens game profitable as well, something has to go.

I do hope, the women themselves gets interested, this cant soley be on the men. Women need to get up and support as well.
That's fine, I don't expect everyone to watch it and there are many valid reasons why a football fan might choose not to watch from time zone to football saturation to no interest in International football.
My comments are more aimed at those who claim it's shit, not entertaining etc.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Maybe the knockout stages. The KO times are not very good for me. Be interested to see the viewing figures for that alone.

NLunited

Great opening match, and caught some of Aus Ire. Too bad for the misogynists.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
For the folks saying no because man are stronger and faster, do you guys enjoy any woman's sports? Tennis? Volleyball? Athletics? Any?

Why the need to compare this to men's football?

I enjoyed both wimbledon finals and just because Alcaraz would win against any woman in the tournament, it didn't make the women's final any less enjoyable.
I think with regards to Tennis (and table tennis, whose women's matches I follow as well) the drop off from men's to women's competition is not as high as it is in football (and cricket). Doesn't make it as enjoyable to watch. Don't watch athletics or volleyball to comment on them.

Even within the French ad everyone has been raving about, it was pretty clear to be that they were mixing in women's football when they showed the keeper jumping to save what looked like a slow shot.

Maybe it would benefit from some changes, a smaller field or goal size, to lower the disparity between the men's and women's game.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
$10 for the boy and $20 for me. AUD though, so £5 and £10 really. Bargain.
That's slightly less than what I paid for a couple of group games at the Euros. Very good price. Enjoy it mate.

muller

I think its fairly clear to see that anyone still thinking Women's football isn't competitive and slow and with awful quality hasn't actually watched a game in the last few years.

If they have to compare it to PL football, thats fine. It's weird.. but it's fine. Enjoy it as it is - not mens football.

Great couple of opening games.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think its fairly clear to see that anyone still thinking Women's football isn't competitive and slow and with awful quality hasn't actually watched a game in the last few years.

If they have to compare it to PL football, thats fine. It's weird.. but it's fine. Enjoy it as it is - not mens football.

Great couple of opening games.
Barca Femeni play better and more entertaining football than some men's teams :smirk:

muller

Barca Femeni play better and more entertaining football than some men's teams :smirk:
Exactly that. The fact some sit here after watching LVG ball and say they wont watch womens football as it's too boring..

United womens last year, although ultimately coming up short, really did play adventurous and exciting football. Think we only have 4 players left for next season but hoping for the same again..

Lightbringer

Exactly that. The fact some sit here after watching LVG ball and say they wont watch womens football as it's too boring..

United womens last year, although ultimately coming up short, really did play adventurous and exciting football. Think we only have 4 players left for next season but hoping for the same again..
Galton, Garcia, Leon, Toone, Williams Parris, Zelem, Mannion Turner, Le Tissier, Earps, Naalsund, Hanson, Clinton, Boe Risa, Riviere and Blundell. So we have alot more left than 4 players :-)

Totally agree the womens United team have played some brilliant football the last 5 years.

If we can add the 2 brazilians we are being linked to and also scottish Watson + 1 or 2 players more we should be fine.

Problem is the with the sale never going trough, its a major distraction.

hermanski

Supports
FC Groningen
I'll watch it. As a FC Groningen-supporter and Eredivisie-watcher it's probably a step up in quality, speed and player-enthusiasm compared to what I am used to..

Reactions: Rood

York

Will definitely be watching the USWNT games. My daughter has played her entire life and she's making me get YouTube TV just to watch. I'm looking forward to the competitive games but think we're a lot more vulnerable than in recent years.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That's fine, I don't expect everyone to watch it and there are many valid reasons why a football fan might choose not to watch from time zone to football saturation to no interest in International football.
My comments are more aimed at those who claim it's shit, not entertaining etc.
Maybe some thinks it’s shit and not entertaining? I’ve watched some league one games and typically they are shit and generally I don’t watch them. I watched the play off semi final with Peterborough and Sheffield weds cos my dad is a Sheffield weds fan and it was insane….but I won’t be watching league one next year because of that. Feel free if you want to though.

90 + 5min

Two great games today. Quality might not be on Champions League level but there is passion, tempo and atmosphere have been great.

I would say more exciting if we compare to half of Premier League games.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'll watch it. As a FC Groningen-supporter and Eredivisie-watcher it's probably a step up in quality, speed and player-enthusiasm compared to what I am used to..
Damn, you waited almost a year for your first post...

muller

Galton, Garcia, Leon, Toone, Williams Parris, Zelem, Mannion Turner, Le Tissier, Earps, Naalsund, Hanson, Clinton, Boe Risa, Riviere and Blundell. So we have alot more left than 4 players :-)

Totally agree the womens United team have played some brilliant football the last 5 years.

If we can add the 2 brazilians we are being linked to and also scottish Watson + 1 or 2 players more we should be fine.

Problem is the with the sale never going trough, its a major distraction.
Haha, was slightly tongue in cheek. It is a hard one but like i've said in the Womens forum, losing future talent is tough too.

But hard to see any comings for a while with the world cup and us being months away, if ever, from a sale.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Maybe some thinks it’s shit and not entertaining? I’ve watched some league one games and typically they are shit and generally I don’t watch them. I watched the play off semi final with Peterborough and Sheffield weds cos my dad is a Sheffield weds fan and it was insane….but I won’t be watching league one next year because of that. Feel free if you want to though.
You have refuted your own point right there - first you say League One is shit and then you admit you saw a great game in League One!

That's the thing, there are plenty of shite PL games too and yes I'm sure several of the matches at the WWC will be crap but others will be great

Bobski

It should be primarily be about women getting out and supporting it, not men, especially when the inevitable pay discussion comes up.

I will happily watch a kids match in the park, at least for 20-30 mins, competitiveness is interesting.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You have refuted your own point right there - first you say League One is shit and then you admit you saw a great game in League One!

That's the thing, there are plenty of shite PL games too and yes I'm sure several of the matches at the WWC will be crap but others will be great
That’s exactly the point though…typically I’m not invested in it and the quality is poor. Same typically for women’s football for me. People coming out with ‘ooh you’ve missed out’ is like me saying the same with league one. I watched a league one game I had a vested interest in due to my dad which turned out to be insane and I still wouldn’t watch more of it on a regular basis when games are on sky.

What is this thing that people have with ‘because it’s women’s’ it’s an issue NOT to watch it? Why are people not saying the same about league one or non league ?

cafecillos

Unfortunately, although I really, really hope I'm wrong, I'm afraid that as the women's game gets bigger and bigger all that bullshit will become more prevalent, as long as there's some sort of advantage to get from it.