Will you watch the Women's World Cup?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
You are very invested in this and I understand your emotion. Good for you.
But THERE IS a load of irrationality surrounding this hyping up - a disproportionate and pretentious one - and people will continue pointing this out. Other than that , I'm not claiming the support and hype are itself wrong. It's the same people who are claiming to be 'just supporting' women's football who are sometimes bringing out the comparisons with the men's game. One recent example is the claim that the prize money needs to be equal to the men's game. What?? The men's WC is a world wide event - not remotely comparable to anything else. What rational basis is there for equating the reward for both, other than it being a political gimmick? Just like any other field - for example music - you deserve reward and hype proportionate to the objective level of excellence achieved - the entertainment and quality generated, not exclusively 'relative' to what other people in your field are achieving.
Its not a disproportionate amount of hype. Its the pinnacle of womens football, its the only current major football competition happening on the planet. People are attending these matches because they want to go, not because they have been fooled by some media hype or gender/politics agenda. They are going because huge numbers of them play or follow the game. They are going because the support for the womens/girls game has grown massively. You must have missed whats been happening the last 20 years.

Now you divert attention to someones claim that the prize money should equal the mens prize money. So one or two people are making that claim and all of a sudden the whole entire womens football scene means less to you???
You keep moving your goalposts to justify your view. You didnt address a single thing I mention, you just pivoted to another issue. Tremendous effort.

NLunited

As I said earlier , football is not too serious an issue to be too concerned about the accuracy of arguments. But the narrative thing isn't something I made up - The guardian is the media outlet I read mostly, and the effort the likes of them are putting to hype this up is palpable - it's much higher than what a tournament that involves many low quality football teams to be considered world class objectively deserves. Maybe the angle I'm suggesting isn't obvious or discernable because of political/gender dynamics involved - it's that the quality of women's football/tournaments hasn't reached a level relative to other men's tournaments to be hyped up to a level it currently is being hyped up, if it's purely the sporting quality that is the objective indicator of hype or attention something deserves. The men's youth tournaments carry more weight behind them in terms of the efforts, players , quality etc that's involved - but those don't get anywhere near the hype here - and the reason is that it's not purely the sporting aspect that's at play here but rather a political/gender dynamic - driven interest. Nothing wrong in that if it's presented for what it is - just as there's nothing wrong in pointing this out.
There is no political/gender driven agenda driving the media attention for the women world cup, it is simply because the interest is there.

Whether they reach the athletic level of men is irrelevant. Is that relevant during the olympics?

I find your posts deeply misogynistic, in fact you use textbook examples of arguments misogynists use.

NotThatSoph

But THERE IS a load of irrationality surrounding this hyping up - a disproportionate and pretentious one - and people will continue pointing this out. Other than that , I'm not claiming the support and hype are itself wrong. It's the same people who are claiming to be 'just supporting' women's football who are sometimes bringing out the comparisons with the men's game. One recent example is the claim that the prize money needs to be equal to the men's game. What?? The men's WC is a world wide event - not remotely comparable to anything else. What rational basis is there for equating the reward for both, other than it being a political gimmick? Just like any other field - for example music - you deserve reward and hype proportionate to the objective level of excellence achieved - the entertainment and quality generated, not exclusively 'relative' to what other people in your field are achieving.
Do you have a math formula, or some sort of model, for the appropriate amount of hype relative to enthusiasm for sport tournaments? 75 000 people in the stadium, millions of people watching on TV, how much hype would be proportionate?

jeepers

It's all good.. just pointing out that there is an amount of pretending present from some - that it's 'as good'. For ref - see the french ad or some of the media stories. Or the claims here to the effect that those who don't watch are losing out on a spectacle.
This is so stupid. Do you rage at all advertisements? Do you really think the ad for the women’s World Cup will be “it’s good, just not as good as the men’s!”.

It’s all a matter of preference and preference is subjective. You decide if you want to partake in the biggest football event in women’s football, or not.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Is this the thread to discuss the WWC?

Or just to discuss whether we will watch it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is that a new thing going into next season where you can hear the Refs voice after checking VAR? Just seen it in the Japan game where she told the players the decision and you could hear her clearly. Bit like rugby.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's all good.. just pointing out that there is an amount of pretending present from some - that it's 'as good'. For ref - see the french ad or some of the media stories. Or the claims here to the effect that those who don't watch are losing out on a spectacle.
Again you are making things up to get upset about - show me even 1 post where anyone claims the Women's game is 'as good'.

The Orange ad is not proof of this - it is a great ad though and the point being made there is that the level is better than many realise or give credit for.

I do think football fans who aren't watching are missing out - that doesn't mean I think it's on the same level as the Men's WC, but it's still enjoyable in its own right.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It's as if they stated televising kids school plays. The pretend enthusiasm, the whitewashing of everything obviously shit makes the sport seem less serious than it is. If something isn't awful it's apparently amazing. If something is awful then let's not talk about that, look at how enthusiastic the crowd is.

People who treat it like a parent treats a 4 year old's painting they've stuck to the fridge and gasp and marvel at it, like it's something Van Gough's paintbrush just shat out, are doing more harm to the credibly of the sport than they realise.

The fact the coverage of this 'elite level sporting event' is treating it as an 'everyone's a winner' sports day, is the most revealing thing about it. I'll start taking women's football seriously once it starts treating itself like a proper sport.

Millions watch and enjoy women's tennis. Because it's presented as, and treated like, a proper sport. "Oh she missed that back hand volley but she's so brave look at all these people at centre court" isn't a thing because in serious sport that nonsense would not be tolerated.

Women's golf is indistinguishable from men's golf. They don't go in for that "She's 11 over par but she's very brave and an amazing Kween" utter shite they do with women's football coverage.
So you're not watching a sport because of the commentary? That seems pretty stupid. Almost all football commentary is shit.

wolvored

Watched first half today and its the most sexist panel by the 'experts'. Why do mens games have to have a token woman, but womens games dont have the token man?

erikcred

Is this the thread to discuss the WWC?

Or just to discuss whether we will watch it.
From the content, it looks like a thread to discuss why people who don't do exactly what you do are wrong.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Can you link these posts? I don’t doubt their existence but I want to read what they said.
To come back to this after asking if you could point me in the direction of these posts, as looking myself I still haven’t been able to find a single post of this nature myself, and I’d like to read the posts you mention as I think there’s a decent chance you might be misrepresenting them based on your previous posts.

From the content, it looks like a thread to discuss why people who don't do exactly what you do are wrong.
There’s a bunch of posts stating “I’m not going to watch it” or “it’s not for me” that have been completely ignored because they’re just giving an opinion. The poster who made a post like a few of the above which have contained certain argument or lied about something then it’s natural those posts will get pointed out, especially when how bat shit crazy some of the arguments have been.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Joel Miller

I’m watching it. I’m just desperate for any sort of football to watch right now so the Women’s WC is a welcome place holder as far as I’m concerned.

MattyLT

Of course I'm watching, cock in hand and everything. If you can't appreciate this current crop of Instagram friendly female footballers, then there's something wrong with you. You're probably sexist, or something. But me, I'm old enough to remember when they all looked like a bunch of lesbians. Gotta appreciate how far female football has come since then, you sexist pigs.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Women’s World Cup: this time the world really is watching
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ld-cup-this-time-the-world-really-is-watching

Step off the plane at Auckland airport and you step on to the pitch. Well, a pitch, a mini artificial pitch, with a little stand in which those waiting in arrivals can sit while their friend or family member struts on to the turf to meet them, pulling a suitcase that disagrees with the surface.

In New Zealand and Australia Women’s World Cup fever has well and truly taken hold, with advertising, flags, welcome signs and merchandise on show. There is a buzz, in New Zealand because it is so rare that these players get to play in front of home crowds, being such a long way to go for friendlies, and in Australia because there is a real undercurrent of excitement at their prospects in the tournament.

The vibe is very different from that which welcomed fans arriving for the 2019 Women’s World Cup in France, where if it was possible for a country to shrug its shoulders, that is precisely what would have happened if you had asked it whether the tournament was even taking place. France felt out of step with the demands of a growing game with an increasingly captive audience, but Australia and New Zealand feel as if they have quickened pace with delight to keep up with the ever-growing women’s game........

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ld-cup-this-time-the-world-really-is-watching

Demyanenko_square_jaw

if you think that's how the music industry works, you are beyond naive.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Women's World Cup 2023: England v Nigeria watched by 5m on BBC TV
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66439299

England's dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Nigeria in the last 16 of the Fifa Women's World Cup was watched by more than five million on BBC TV.

There was a peak audience of 5.2m on BBC One and an additional 2.6m streams across BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport Online, as the match coverage received the highest viewing figures of the competition so far in the UK.

There were also more than 2m requests on digital platforms for highlights and clips from the game, which kicked off at 08:30 BST on Monday.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Women's World Cup 2023: England v Nigeria watched by 5m on BBC TV
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66439299

England's dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Nigeria in the last 16 of the Fifa Women's World Cup was watched by more than five million on BBC TV.

There was a peak audience of 5.2m on BBC One and an additional 2.6m streams across BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport Online, as the match coverage received the highest viewing figures of the competition so far in the UK.

There were also more than 2m requests on digital platforms for highlights and clips from the game, which kicked off at 08:30 BST on Monday.
What did you expect, we're being shoved this nonsense down our throats...