WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The US when breaking from their keeper need to be quicker, they have Vietnam stretched when they do that but their final passes in the attacking third have been messy and allow Vietnam to get numbers back. The space is there on those breaks but they keep wasting it.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
The constant hyping of the game against the Netherlands feel a bit over the top. It's clearly a better team than Vietnam but I still struggle to see them get anything against this US team. Especially with Miedema injured. Primarily because I don't expect the US to be as sloppy as today ...but anything can happy in a tourney.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The constant hyping of the game against the Netherlands feel a bit over the top. It's clearly a better team than Vietnam but I still struggle to see them get anything against this US team. Especially with Miedema injured. Primarily because I don't expect the US to be as sloppy as today ...but anything can happy in a tourney.
You do understand the Netherlands played the US in the last WC final????

York

Rapinoe woeful. Time for her to hang up the boots. A lot of unfamiliar faces to me which is a good sign!

I fully expected another Thailand like thrashing so credit to Vietnam.

RedDevilQuebecois

If it wasn't for those offside calls and a few good saves by the Zambian goalkeeper, this would be a cricket score in Japan's favor by now. Still 3-0 with an hour gone.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
3-0 to Japan now and would have been worse except for a couple of offsides. Japan looking very much like a Japan team - nice football, good teamwork.

Zambia defended well for a time but Japan are too good at using the width to get locked out for long.

Eric_the_Red99

I’ve not seen any of the games yet, but from the scores it looks like they’ve been fairly competitive so far? Is that right? I don’t think it’s good for the women’s game when there are regular drubbings at major tournaments.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Only been watching this for about 15 minutes but Japan are looking really good against Zambia, they’re carving out chances for fun and putting Zambia under pressure every time they have the ball. 4-0 at the moment and they could’ve had another 2 or 3.

There was some talk of Japan perhaps struggling in this tournament, but based on this I think they have as much of a chance as anyone except USA.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
3-0 to Japan now and would have been worse except for a couple of offsides. Japan looking very much like a Japan team - nice football, good teamwork.

Zambia defended well for a time but Japan are too good at using the width to get locked out for long.
Exactly what I thought. It's a culture that filters through to their teams in other sports too.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Japan womens and men’s teams are always nice to watch. Technically brilliant sides

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Russo starting for England - I thought it would be Daly as shes had a better season

Goals have been a problem recently but should be a matter of how many Vs Haiti

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great save from the penalty but has to be retaken.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Football's a hard game. Red card for the Zambian keeper in the eighth minute of added time.
While already 4-0 down. Ouch.

And now the retake has gone in. Such a sad ending for Zambia.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Zambia's third choice (first choice got injured) keeper saves the first penalty with her first touch as an international. But reality kicks in and the penalty had to be retaken and Japan score. I can't help but think they should have let her have that one :lol:

5-0 at ft.

RedDevilQuebecois

Just as @jojojo mentioned earlier, it is the very first time that a team gets totally outclassed in the action and on the scoreline. It could easily have been 10-0 as the gulf in quality is what it is between Japan and Zambia.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Russo starting for England - I thought it would be Daly as shes had a better season

Goals have been a problem recently but should be a matter of how many Vs Haiti
Here’s the complete lineup.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I’ve not seen any of the games yet, but from the scores it looks like they’ve been fairly competitive so far? Is that right? I don’t think it’s good for the women’s game when there are regular drubbings at major tournaments.
There's a big gap between the teams made up of full-time pros and the rest. But we are now seeing more teams who have a couple of pro players and semipro players (often playing abroad) alongside home based talent.

You've also got national FAs like Ireland who having qualified were able to give their players short-term pro contracts. That means they can at least arrive fully fit and well drilled and they're training with pro coaches, even if most of the players aren't getting regular practice against strong opposition.

The number of players, teams snd leagues is on the rise as well in most countries, so the talent pool is starting to deepen. Even so, for a team like Zambia, Haiti or the Philippines this is a big leap.

Zambia lost their first choice keeper and one of their best players immediately before the tournament. Their manager is under investigation for sexual misconduct. Fair to say, they haven't had the best buildup.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Here’s the complete lineup.

Interesting to see Toone and Russo starting - neither of them were at their best last season with United. Maybe using them against Haiti to see just how good their form and confidence is now.

Lauren James and Rachel Daly get the first choice impact sub jobs today :smirk:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Interesting to see Toone and Russo starting - neither of them were at their best last season with United. Maybe using them against Haiti to see just how good their form and confidence is now.

Lauren James and Rachel Daly get the first choice impact sub jobs today :smirk:
Yeah, that and they made great impact from the bench in the Euros. Then again England are missing some players from the team that started most games last summer.