WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Can’t say it’s too awfully unexpected with the way the team was playing in the group stage. Carli Lloyd will be well within her rights to have a full on “told ya so” moment after she caught flack for saying they shouldn’t have been celebrating that draw.
They could have walked off the field with glum faces after the draw and they still would have got bounced

Carli isn't wrong but she's also a mopey mope. I say let people enjoy things

Carolina Red

Staff
They could have walked off the field with glum faces after the draw and they still would have got bounced

Carli isn't wrong but she's also a mopey mope. I say let people enjoy things
Nah, I agree with Carli. Celebrating mediocrity isn’t what the USWNT standard should be.

RoyH1

The world has caught up to the US womens team. They need to take the next step or will otherwise begin to fall behind once womans pro football in Europe really kicks in big time.

Japan is my favorite team to watch in this WC but I fear they might be vulnerable to a big physical team parking the bus and taking them out on set pieces.

Lightbringer

"I am proud of the women on the field," Andonovski said. "I know we were criticized for the way we played, and for different moments in the group stage. I think we came out today and showed the grit, the resilience, the fight. The bravery showed we did everything we could to win the game. And unfortunately, soccer can be cruel sometimes."

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I have nothing against the USA team or their players, but I think it's great for women's football (competition-wise without considering ratings) that they've been knocked out.

In terms of the continued progress of the sport which has already made tremendous strides, it was better for them not to win the tournament for a 3rd time in a row - I don't think it's great for any sport, men's or women's, for one team to win a quadrennial World Cup 3 times in a row. Plus they were clearly sub-standard and unimpressive at this tournament, and nowhere near as strong as they were in 2015 or 2019, so a scenario in which they still somehow scraped their way to another title playing like this wouldn't have been good look. It was like how it was crucial for other teams to challenge Lyon's dominance and topple them in the Champions League (which they won 6 times in 7 years), and likewise Germany's dominance in the European Championships (after they won it 6 times in a row).

Clearly overall numerous other teams have improved considerably, and therefore so has the depth in competition, which is great for the overall health of women's football.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nah, I agree with Carli. Celebrating mediocrity isn’t what the USWNT standard should be.
The players weren't celebrating mediocrity, they were having a good time with fans who flew all the way to Down Under to go see them.

I think one of the great things about the women game is the lack of the toxic Talladega Nights mentality of "if you're not first you're last" nonsense (I'm not sure who to blame more, Kobe, Jordan or Brady). Obviously the USWNT set high standards this version of the team are struggling to meet (due to transition, the rest of the world getting better) but that doesn't mean you put on sour faces until that happens. If they aren't training hard enough or not busting to close gaps on the pitch I'm with you, but that statement from Carli was just your usual "they don't want it enough" cliche we've normalized but really shouldn't have. We don't have proof of that yet.

And Carli seems to have unresolved problems with the women's team dating back to her time in it. Legend and all but given she's been on the end of some defeats while in the team you'd think she'd have more grace about the situation (while offering valid criticism of course)

Cantonagotmehere

Sad way to go out. Too bad, but agree it's not the worst thing for the sport/WC for them to go out, and I'm American. Not sure why Rapinoe was in the game. Feel bad for all the PK takers. Naeher was a stud.

RedDevilQuebecois

If we go by this tweet, I say there is enough material for a "Congrats, USWNT (2023)" video coming soon. I know that many of his followers are asking for a video.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The US finally played well and it was in a game which was a must win.
Im not sure why there is so much putting the boot in to this US side, the accusations of arrogance dont line up with what i saw of them here. They were gracious and accomodating with the local fans, always friendly and were really great ambassadors for their country off the field. I only ever saw them being friendly and approachable here, lots of fans and young girl players here in NZ got to interact with them and they left a great impression. Sure they didnt deliver on the pitch and some would argue thats all that matters but arrogant? I didnt see any of that sort of thing. Im sad to see them go.

Beobachter

The US finally played well and it was in a game which was a must win.
Im not sure why there is so much putting the boot in to this US side, the accusations of arrogance dont line up with what i saw of them here. They were gracious and accomodating with the local fans, always friendly and were really great ambassadors for their country off the field. I only ever saw them being friendly and approachable here, lots of fans and young girl players here in NZ got to interact with them and they left a great impression. Sure they didnt deliver on the pitch and some would argue thats all that matters but arrogant? I didnt see any of that sort of thing. Im sad to see them go.
Agreed. Have to assume it's general distaste against a successful/dominant team and the country in general, as well as a bunch of off-field political circumstances. I always abhor the 'too arrogant/not wanting it enough' argument in any kind of sport discourse; not saying that athletes can 't have hubris, but most of the time it felt like the ones commenting along that lines projected their own arrogance (if that makes sense) to make up for their lack of ability to grasp most technical/tactical nuances.

Heading into the tournament, I felt the US lacking in two key aspects that they used to always have: strong goalkeeping and cutting edge. I was wrong about the former; a couple of dodgy moments against Portugal aside, Naeher was superb. They missed their best goalscorer (Mallory Swanson) badly though, Morgan's past it and Smith wasn't ready yet at this level. Even then, they're ultimately only denied from advancing because of Musovic's goalkeeping. They're no longer the sole dominant force, which is a good thing, but should come out of this just fine.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Agreed. Have to assume it's general distaste against a successful/dominant team and the country in general, as well as a bunch of off-field political circumstances. I always abhor the 'too arrogant/not wanting it enough' argument in any kind of sport discourse; not saying that athletes can 't have hubris, but most of the time it felt like the ones commenting along that lines projected their own arrogance (if that makes sense) to make up for their lack of ability to grasp most technical/tactical nuances.

Heading into the tournament, I felt the US lacking in two key aspects that they used to always have: strong goalkeeping and cutting edge. I was wrong about the former; a couple of dodgy moments against Portugal aside, Naeher was superb. They missed their best goalscorer (Mallory Swanson) badly though, Morgan's past it and Smith wasn't ready yet at this level. Even then, they're ultimately only denied from advancing because of Musovic's goalkeeping. They're no longer the sole dominant force, which is a good thing, but should come out of this just fine.
I think it’s more about the networks etc who don’t follow the sport a lot hyping them up. I don’t think that anyone believes that the players are arrogant & go to games with some superior feeling. In my personal opinion anyone who appreciates women’s football at its core has respect for US team for what they have done to bring the sport forward

RoyH1

Some of the stuff in social media against the US team is (and I hate the term but here it really fits) is toxic as pheck. And the weird thing is that most of it is coming from the US itself. Intense incel and MAGA vibes. I don't really understand why they rub so many people the wrong way over there.

RedDevilQuebecois

On my own behalf, what makes me stand with a beef against the USWNT is a severe lack of overall humility for a very long time. That arrogance mostly came to the surface during the 2019 World Cup, namely OTT goal celebrations as they battered Thailand and then that tea cup celebration against England. If losing finally teaches that team some humility, then it's good for everyone concerned. I do not need nor want to go into incel/MAGA bullshit here.

My favorite team being Japan, I love their kind of silent approach as they fight to boost the game in Japan and even abroad. What they do on the pitch is the kind of artistry I can rally behind. They have been an example to follow since 2011, not just as athletes but also as people.

Last edited:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
This looks like its going to settle into a nice arm wrestle of a game, Nigeria are going to give England a decent battle

Nogbadthebad

Nigeria are pressing well. I question whether they can keep it up for the whole game though, and I think England's better players will make a difference when the game gets stretched.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
England are all over the place. Completely getting bullied all over the field

P.S to make things worse BBC have the commentary slightly ahead of the video

Nogbadthebad

To her left and the goal was wide open, went where the keeper was.

I think Russo is great, but she's not a natural striker in the way that Smith from the US or Rachel Daly are.

NoPace

Eh, the last 4 Men's World Cup winners from Europe have failed to get through the next group stage and it's clear that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier of teams have improved over the years.

Canada won the Olympics and we lost 4-0 to get bounced out of the group stage. I think it's fine to celebrate getting through, they just seemed to be poorly coached on the ball and lacking real midfield creativity.