WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
A lot of factors coming into play at this WWC I think.

We're seeing more teams who are fit enough to play 90 minutes, because more of them have the time to train and the coaches to make the training count.
We're seeing more pro and semipro players overall, a lot of them based in Europe or the US because of the growth in the pro game.
We're seeing countries using their overseas talent more (including ones who qualify based on their parents/grandparents) partly because more FAs (or the teams own GoFundme appeals!) can actually pay for the flights to get them to the international matches.

Net effect - appointing the right coach and putting at least some money into a national team can really make a difference.

Some national teams are underperforming at the tournament, other teams have found the right combination of teamwork, talent and luck at the right time to progress. What seems to have changed even between this WWC and the last one is that big teams can't afford to underestimate their opponents - they can't just rely on an opponent's (lack of) fitness or an opponent's lack of organisation to go through.
I think this is the real difference, the other two sort of go hand in hand with this. Along with better tactics. Morocco are probably the best example of tactics. Against Germany, they played how teams used to, played 4-4-2 and the attackers didn't drop deep. It was perfect for Germany and so easy for them as they're obviously much better footballers. Morocco probably lose it 1/2-0 at worst if they had played more defensively. All of the other smaller nations used much better tactics and managed to avoid big losses. The only exception was Vietnam but there isn't really any tactics that can make up for their lack of physicality or football ability against a motivated top nation.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Has there been anything said about why FIFA have changed the format for qualifying for the knockouts? In pretty much every competition ever, Group Winners from each group go in one half, and the runners up go in the other section. This time, they both go in the same side so they meet in the Semis instead of the final. I noticed FIFA did it for the u20 WC too, which was the first time I've ever seen it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Has there been anything said about why FIFA have changed the format for qualifying for the knockouts? In pretty much every competition ever, Group Winners from each group go in one half, and the runners up go in the other section. This time, they both go in the same side so they meet in the Semis instead of the final. I noticed FIFA did it for the u20 WC too, which was the first time I've ever seen it.
I thought it was a typo the first time I saw it.

I've read it's a logistical thing intended to reduce the number of teams having to flip between NZ and Oz between matches. It also protected the possibility of Australia v NZ in the final.

Unless someone knows better?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
First of the knockouts tomorrow.

If there's a team in the tournament who know how to sit back and shut up shop it's Switzerland. After getting hammered on the break by a sitting back Japan in the last match of the group stage, Spain need to sharpen up fast.

Meanwhile, Norway can only hope that Japan peaked too early and that after two miserable performances their 6-0 win over the Philippines shows that they are on the up :smirk:

RedDevilQuebecois

Switzerland are nowhere in this match if it wasn't for that freebie.

Almost insulting that they ended up top of their group.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Switzerland are nowhere in this match if it wasn't for that freebie.

Almost insulting that they ended up top of their group.
It's funny seeing Switzerland's defence looking this clueless. They're usually very efficient about sitting back, frustrating opponents and boring the crowd.

Whichever one goes through today, it'll be their first WWC QF. Which seems strange, but is a reminder of just how far women's football has come in Spain in the past few years.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I thought it was a typo the first time I saw it.

I've read it's a logistical thing intended to reduce the number of teams having to flip between NZ and Oz between matches. It also protected the possibility of Australia v NZ in the final.

Unless someone knows better?
Main reason is to ensure the hosts play at home throughout until the final regardless of finishing 1st/2nd in the group. Also reducing travel as you mentioned. Flight time and time difference from NZ to Perth is almost like UK to NYC.

RoyH1

Whatever the manager told the Spanish team after the Japan game worked. They’ve played much better today

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Really good performance from Spain and Bonmati is a lovely player. Batlle reminding us how much we'll miss her. After the shock of Japan, the best kind of reaction.

Switzerland were poor. They're always useless in attack but their defending looked so weak today. Stage fright maybe?

Eric_the_Red99

Excellent assist from VBR there. Timed her run perfectly and then puts the cross right into the danger zone.