Will you watch the Women's World Cup?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Definitely. From next Monday onwards I have two weeks vacation and I’m starved for football.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Considering that I watched the women's Ashes, yea probably watch it if the time is convenient.

MichaelRed

Considering that I watched the women's Ashes, yea probably watch it if the time is convenient.
What? That's like saying I'll obviously watch the Premier League because I watched the World Snooker Championship.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'll keep an eye on it. Travelling at the moment and the timings are a bit shit. Should be fairly open with a US v Germany/England final my call.
Ye kick off times are a big issue - thankfully first England game is Saturday

I have low expectations for Lionesses - big players retired and injured since the Euros win so will be a miracle to repeat that

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

I have low expectations for Lionesses - big players retired and injured since the Euros win so will be a miracle to repeat that
I've got Germany knocking England out in the QF. But if England sneak that they might make a final. Agreed it's a big shock if they win it.

No. I don't mind watching semi pro/amateur level football in person but on TV it's just too slow and error prone.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Yeah I'm afraid England will go out (relatively) early.

Andersonson

Nah, the womens game doesnt interests me. Looking forward to a summer without football, my wife says

redshaw

Is it on UK TV and other European countries?

Last I heard there was a broadcasting rights issue with many not paying what FIFA wanted or something

We need an rvn

Well I just broke my ankle / tibia on Saturday and in a boots with orders to completely rest it and not to stand on it until I have the op in two weeks time, after which I'll be in a cast or boot for 6-8 weeks.

I was going to watch some of the matches anyway but looks like i'll be in it watching most of them now

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Last I heard there was a broadcasting rights issue with many not paying what FIFA wanted or something
This was sorted out so all matches are free to air in UK

For UK viewers, the TV channel list for the group stage matches is here - all times are UK.

20 July, 08:00: New Zealand v Norway - BBC
20 July, 11:00: Australia v Republic of Ireland - ITV

21 July, 03:30: Nigeria v Canada - BBC
21 July, 06:00: Philippines v Switzerland - ITV
21 July, 08:30: Spain v Costa Rica - BBC

22 July, 02:00: United States v Vietnam - BBC
22 July, 08:00: Zambia v Japan - BBC
22 July, 10:30: England v Haiti - ITV
22 July, 13:00: Denmark v China - BBC

23 July, 06:00: Sweden v South Africa - BBC
23 July, 08:30: Netherlands v Portugal - BBC
23 July, 11:00: France v Jamaica - ITV

24 July, 07:00: Italy v Argentina - ITV
24 July, 09:30: Germany v Morocco - ITV
24 July, 12:00: Brazil v Panama - ITV

25 July, 03:00: Colombia v South Korea - BBC
25 July, 06:30: New Zealand v Philippines - ITV
25 July, 09:00: Switzerland v Norway - ITV

26 July, 06:00: Japan v Costa Rica - ITV
26 July, 08:30: Spain v Zambia - BBC
26 July, 13:00: Canada v Republic of Ireland - ITV

27 July, 02:00: United States v Netherlands - BBC
27 July, 08:30: Portugal v Vietnam - ITV
27 July, 11:00: Australia v Nigeria - BBC

28 July, 01:00: Argentina v South Africa - ITV
28 July, 09:30: England v Denmark - BBC
28 July, 12:00: China v Haiti - ITV

29 July, 08:30: Sweden v Italy - BBC
29 July, 11:00: France v Brazil - BBC
29 July, 13:30: Panama v Jamaica - ITV

30 July, 05:30: South Korea v Morocco - BBC
30 July, 08:00: Norway v Philippines - BBC
30 July, 08:00: Switzerland v New Zealand - BBC
30 July, 10:30: Germany v Colombia - ITV

31 July, 08:00: Costa Rica v Zambia - ITV
31 July, 08:00: Japan v Spain - ITV
31 July, 11:00: Canada v Australia - BBC
31 July, 11:00: Republic of Ireland v Nigeria - BBC

1 August, 08:00: Portugal v United States - ITV
1 August, 08:00: Vietnam v Netherlands - ITV
1 August, 12:00: China v England - ITV
1 August, 12:00: Haiti v Denmark - ITV

2 August, 08:00: Argentina v Sweden - BBC
2 August, 08:00: South Africa v Italy - BBC
2 August, 11:00: Jamaica v Brazil - ITV
2 August, 11:00: Panama v France - ITV

3 August, 11:00: Morocco v Colombia - BBC
3 August, 11:00: South Korea v Germany - BBC

We need an rvn

UK, Germany and I believe one or two more have settled the dispute I believe.

It's definitely on in the UK, first matches tomorrow morning from what I've just seen on the tv guide.

But trust FIFA to hold countries like the UK to ransom for £££ while other countries don't pay near as much

Crickus

Its on whilst i am at work monday to friday. Maybe watch England games on the weekends if they on.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Yes! The match KO times will make watching live a challenge.

whitbyviking

I’ll watch some games if they are on and I’m in front of the TV. Biggest problem with the women’s football are the commentators telling us every 2mins how great things are, how wonderful equality is, how they are more successful than the men etc etc. if they just concentrated on the product instead of hectoring, lecturing and sermonising it would be much more pleasant to watch. Let the product speak for itself. There is some good stuff being played and it is its own game, nothing to do with the men.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I'll watch the Ireland games if I'm at home. Maybe the final but the season will have started by then so I might not be too bothered

JuriM

Terrible time for my schedule I either almost pull an all nighter or have to wake super early. But I watched last WC and Euros and it was cool!

Wilt

Will watch England ….though won’t bother if they’re playing cannon fodder.

Probably have it on in the background in case something interesting happens.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Just because women can’t match men physically doesn’t mean they can’t be awesome.

I will watch if I have time. Lots of skilled players, women’s football has come a long way. If you doubt women can match men’s skills watch this video: she obliterates Stephen Curry’s record.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...-starry-3-pt-contest-july-14-2023/vi-AA1e2eQV
Attacking wise is decent, but the defensive part is completely shit.
The quality of defenders and goalkeepers in women's football looks semi-proffessional, due to lack of physicality and weak tackles.

i will watch a couple of games, but no more, the quality overall is very very poor, the last men's WC was kinda poor already, can't imagine myself watching something even worse than that.

Newtonius

Nah i tried watching a few league games but i don't like it pretty obvious political correctness gets in the way of entertainment, realistically need to cut the scale of the pitch by at least 25%. I can see why they don't for the purposes of grassroots football but these big tournaments are not grassroots football.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Nah i tried watching a few league games but i don't like it pretty obvious political correctness gets in the way of entertainment, realistically need to cut the scale of the pitch by at least 25%. I can see why they don't for the purposes of grassroots football but these big tournaments are not grassroots football.
Isn't the problem that women's teams often have to play on men's football pitches as they don't have access to their own resources?

I do agree with you though in terms of what the sport should be. There's nothing wrong with smaller pitches (or goals) and it would probably make the game more entertaining/unique in itself.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
No probably not. I find it hard to watch as much football as I used to anyway. Was proper obsessed until LVG killed it for me and I’ve never recovered that same level of interest. When I try to watch women’s football i come away thinking it’s just not entertaining me

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
No probably not. I find it hard to watch as much football as I used to anyway. Was proper obsessed until LVG killed it for me and I’ve never recovered that same level of interest. When I try to watch women’s football i come away thinking it’s just not entertaining me
Not even to support your Irish ladies at their first ever World Cup?

PSV

Isn't the problem that women's teams often have to play on men's football pitches as they don't have access to their own resources?
Given that a lot of stadiums are multi-use between sports you'd think just moving some goalposts and drawing some new lines to be a minor shuffle. Sure it'll be akin to watching football in an Olympic stadium, but that's a minor disadvantage.

muller

Really enjoy Womens football. Worrying how many still comment on the quality.

It's not mens football, why are some so adamant about comparing them?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
No it's like Vauxhall Conference played by midgets and everyone jeering you whenever you think it

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Probably some of the first week's matches with my daughter while we're in the Netherlands and have access to a tv that broadcasts it. Not sure what (if anything) we'll do once we're back home in Canada. My daughter is really looking forward to it!
Not one second. Our dutch gals quit a training match the other day for it being too aggressive. Can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. But the news will be full of it so I guess I will see some "highlights".
Wasn't it Ireland - Colombia that was cancelled? Didn't see that mentioned for the Netherlands. Here's a news report on that match:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38009307/ireland-wwc-warm-match-called-overly-physical-play

According to the article: "Sources told ESPN that Ireland's Denise O'Sullivan was taken to hospital for treatment on a shin injury after a series of robust challenges." Makes sense to me to walk off if that's what's happened. Why would you risk serious injury in a training match just before the tournament starts?

Abizzz

Will possibly watch 2 or 3 matches. So about the same as the last mens world cup.