Willy Kambwala | 2023/24 Performances

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Taking the talk away from him not starting, I'd be interested in seeing how a Kambwala and Martinez partnership looks at some point over the next couple of hears. Feel like it's really well balanced.
A lot to like about that proposition, would be great to see

Grande

Taking the talk away from him not starting, I'd be interested in seeing how a Kambwala and Martinez partnership looks at some point over the next couple of years. Feel like it's really well balanced.
I would like that as well, in theory. The caveat is that I hope we also manage to strengthen our CB positions by the next two seasons to the point where it is not really reasonable to expect Kambwala to be a regular go-to choice at 21/22, which is a young age for a CB normally.

I myself have quite a bit of patience with results when I see us giving youngaters a chance. Unfortunately, I concede that there is a large part of our fans base who will not accept those results, and it will just lead to new manager sackings or public hysteria affecting the players. It’s a vicious circle.

So I hope, in spite of my own preferance, that we will not see more than one or two of Garnacho, Mainoo, Amad, Kambwala, Højlund on the pitch at the same time on a regular basis, regardless of who is manager. Not for two or three years at least.

Hughes35

And then we concede 4 because we played 2 DMs in the central defense? If I was Ten Hag I wouldn't risk that. Same with playing Amrabat as CB. It's just a fecked situation, for everyone. I'm just glad Kambwala is back and will hopefully get some playing time for the rest of the season.
I obviously meant instead of Cas.

Marwood

I think he has to go on loan.

If there's no European football next season he'll barely get a kick(unless there's another injury crisis).

A year in the Championship would be perfect. First and foremost he needs to show he can stay fit.

Hughes35

Ah right. Sorry. Yea why not switch those players' positions, so McTom is CB and Cas is DM..
Yea, just makes much more sense to me. I understand why we tried Cas there but he's been pretty terrible in every single game.

Bwuk

I think he has to go on loan.

If there's no European football next season he'll barely get a kick(unless there's another injury crisis).

A year in the Championship would be perfect. First and foremost he needs to show he can stay fit.
Depends what we do with the CBs.

Martinez can’t stay fit.

Question marks over the future of Maguire, Evans, Lindelof and Varane.

We’ll sign maybe 2 CB tops I’d imagine but we have so many other priorities. Could see a situation where Kambwala is 4th choice next year.

Lastwolf

Martinez can’t stay fit.

We’ll sign maybe 2 CB tops I’d imagine but we have so many other priorities. Could see a situation where Kambwala is 4th choice next year.
There's no question marks at all on Varane, we haven't activated his +1 and he's had 4 months to negotiate elsewhere (excepted EPL), if he were staying we wouldn't have allowed that. Evans is a question mark but, Maguire and Lindelof will be here unless someone offers money for them, so they are staying.

Marwood

Martinez can’t stay fit.

Yeah he likely would be 4th choice but with no midweek football how often will 4th choice play? Whoever is manager next season won't be rotating his first choice CB's in the league with no Europe. All managers want consistency there.

I think you make Shaw 4th choice CB. Let Kambwala get 30 games somewhere.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Yeah he likely would be 4th choice but with no midweek football how often will 4th choice play? Whoever is manager next season won't be rotating his first choice CB's in the league with no Europe. All managers want consistency there.

I think you make Shaw 4th choice CB. Let Kambwala get 30 games somewhere.
Definitely, we will play the same CBs for most games next season - They absolute won't be injured every 5 minutes like the last several years....

Marwood

Definitely, we will play the same CBs for most games next season - They absolute won't be injured every 5 minutes like the last several years....
I said managers will want to play the same two CB's. Not that they definitely will be able to.

But if injuries are the concern Kambwala isn't the answer.

He's the most injury prone of the lot it seems.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

Marwood

Where does that come from? Source below suggests he hasn't had an injury this year simply not picked in squad at points, I don't remember him being injured, genuine question.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/willy-kambwala/leistungsdaten/spieler/780630
He's just been injured. Weekend was his first availability since.

And obviously since he came to the club he's had terrible luck with injuries. Missed a lot of youth football. An ankle injury put him out for a full year soon after he signed.

Last edited:

BorisManUtd

"To be honest, I don't really watch football" seems to be the case with many players (especially younger ones).

OsloRed

"To be honest, I don't really watch football" seems to be the case with many players (especially younger ones).
I do understand that, tbf. Every day of their lives are full of football, watching something else when he gets home might help him relax and recharge.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I do understand that, tbf. Every day of their lives are full of football, watching something else when he gets home might help him relax and recharge.
I agree, in the Overlap interview Rooney essentially says the same thing, he gets home and switches off watching regular TV, not football

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He seems like a great guy! If I was a footballer I’d be studying the game all the time I have to say. It’s very easy to follow at the top level to see where you can improve and what others are doing wrong but I assume he’s getting all that info tailored to him at the club anyway so no biggie. I hope he can play double the games next year and really put his stamp on the team. He was so brave when he had to step in it’s hard to want nothing but the very best for him. Fearless character.

JE-365

Watching the game means you can study the games and it will improve the player’s tactical awareness.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Not of our very own Ben White :(

No but in all seriousness he seems like a nice guy. I forget what exact game it was specifically but I'm still a bit scarred by one of his performances where he was really all over the place and largely responsible for a couple of goals. Think he might've come on as a sub?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Not of our very own Ben White :(

No but in all seriousness he seems like a nice guy. I forget what exact game it was specifically but I'm still a bit scarred by one of his performances where he was really all over the place and largely responsible for a couple of goals. Think he might've come on as a sub?
Bournemouth I think, slipped to let someone through.