Willy Kambwala | 2023/24 Performances

BorisManUtd

Good cameo, would expect him to start in most of the remaining games, especially if Martinez/Lindelof/Varane aren't coming back.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Then have him play the 60 and bring Casemiro on, Casemiro has showed to be a liability every time he plays at CB
He probably wasn’t even ready for that! Hence why him and Evan’s had to do split shifts as neither are fit.

To put simply

Casemiro fully fit
Evan’s not fit
Kambwala not fit

Decision was common sense, ETH deserves pelters for loads, let’s not get into silly ones.

Last edited:

BorisManUtd

He probably wasn’t even ready for that! Hence why him and Evan’s had to do split shifts as neither are fit.

To put simply

Casemiro fully fit
Evan’s not fit
Kambwala not fit

Decision was common sense, ETH deserves pelters for loads, let’s not get into silly ones.
Yeah exactly. Yesterday wasn't the game to criticise ten Hag anyway, or any other big game this season. It's all the other ones where we looked bad and often got dominated.

aeh1991

This. No idead why we are playing Casemiro and not Mctom as the CB. Makes zero sense to me.
And then we concede 4 because we played 2 DMs in the central defense? If I was Ten Hag I wouldn't risk that. Same with playing Amrabat as CB. It's just a fecked situation, for everyone. I'm just glad Kambwala is back and will hopefully get some playing time for the rest of the season.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Haven't see that, what did he say?
This isn’t a direct quote by any means but something along the lines that he hasn’t seen McSauce demonstrate any outstanding ability at CB and that there was also a hole further forward that it made more sense, given his skill set, for him to occupy

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This isn’t a direct quote by any means but something along the lines that he hasn’t seen McSauce demonstrate any outstanding ability at CB and that there was also a hole further forward that it made more sense, given his skill set, for him to occupy
Well Casemiro hasn't shown any either and whilst ETH might not have seen McSauce play at CB plenty of other have and whilst he's not great he's better than what he went with!

Eriksen could have played 10 and TBH Amad would have been worth a shot there as well

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Well Casemiro hasn't shown any either and whilst ETH might not have seen McSauce play at CB plenty of other have and whilst he's not great he's better than what he went with!

Eriksen could have played 10 and TBH Amad would have been worth a shot there as well
To be fair, I’m not able to debate Casemiro vs McSauce @ CB as I’ve never seen the latter there!

In the post match presser he was stating his observations on the above and the logic for his decision.

This isn’t a go at you in any way, but I’d prefer the considered opinion of a football professional, who is living the situation, than a fan who is observing from the outside.

Then there’s the blunt reality that he’s being paid to make those decisions, and accept the consequences of them. We are not (chance would be a fine thing) and neither is the journalist asking the question. He’s been good enough to explain the logic, and accepts the consequences, that should be enough.

Varun1

To be fair, I’m not able to debate Casemiro vs McSauce @ CB as I’ve never seen the latter there!

In the post match presser he was stating his observations on the above and the logic for his decision.

This isn’t a go at you in any way, but I’d prefer the considered opinion of a football professional, who is living the situation, than a fan who is observing from the outside.

Then there’s the blunt reality that he’s being paid to make those decisions, and accept the consequences of them. We are not (chance would be a fine thing) and neither is the journalist asking the question. He’s been good enough to explain the logic, and accepts the consequences, that should be enough.
I used to think that about the so called football people at United, but from Woodward to EtH, I've realised that they are good at some things for sure but not everything.

Clearly, EtH was of the opinion that Antony is up to the task and worth £80m, same with Ole & Sancho. There are many such examples, not just related to player transfers. Likewise, some fans come out with the silliest argument - look at this very thread where posters are blaming EtH for not playing Kambwala who was actually injured. But there are some sensible posters as well.

For the record, I think it's utterly stupid to play Casemiro in defense against the better sides given his lack of speed. Besides, hasn't McT played there a few times for Scotland, I would even consider changing to a back 5.

EtH has shown little to no tactical nous and sunk us to new depths after Ole.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
I used to think that about the so called football people at United, but from Woodward to EtH, I've realised that they are good at some things for sure but not everything.

Clearly, EtH was of the opinion that Antony is up to the task and worth £80m, same with Ole & Sancho. There are many such examples, not just related to player transfers. Likewise, some fans come out with the silliest argument - look at this very thread where posters are blaming EtH for not playing Kambwala who was actually injured. But there are some sensible posters as well.

For the record, I think it's utterly stupid to play Casemiro in defense against the better sides given his lack of speed. Besides, hasn't McT played there a few times for Scotland, I would even consider changing to a back 5.

Woodward isn’t in the conversation when talking about football professionals, that’s a terrible comparison ;)

Agree totally about the silly arguments, some seem to come from parallel realities!

We will all have an opinion about who plays where, I know I do. But I’m conscious that mines worth 1000x less (probably an understatement!) than someone who’s been in the game most of their lives and is working with the players day-to-day.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Like him, hope he makes it here. The CB position needs overhaul, would be happy to go into the season as the 4th/5th CB

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

McT has played as a CB for Scotland on numerous occasions but normally in back 3, he has filled as a CB for United a few times but I don't recall if they were starts or not

AndyMUFC

Taking the talk away from him not starting, I'd be interested in seeing how a Kambwala and Martinez partnership looks at some point over the next couple of years. Feel like it's really well balanced.

Last edited:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Taking the talk away from him not starting, I'd be interested in seeing how a Kambwala and Martinez partnership looks at some point over the next couple of hears. Feel like it's really well balanced.
Same here.

I would love to see Kambwala in more games and see if he can develop. As with any other youngster, he may or may not work out, long-term, but to me it is much more interesting to give him a chance, than to play the likes of Lindelof or Evans. Lindelof and Evans have played important role for us, this season, but they are CLEARLY not part of our future. Kambwala may be.

OldTrevil

I like this kid. For me, I'd look to only keep him, Martinez and Evans and add onto them with 2 to 3 experienced CBs and another understudy.