Wimbledon 2009

Alex

It was a great match, but there wasn't much drama compared to last year..not really a patch on it in entertainment terms...it was almost machine like, it just went on and on....It's great that the last 3 finals have all been 5 set classics though, especially when the womens finals have all been so dull recently
Yet they make the same amount of money :rolleyes:

The womens final yesterday couldnt have been more than 75 minutes

mehro

Ass face
Yeah, he just mouthed off to Rog, 'you had already won five times' stupid american twat
Roddick's always come across as a very decent guy with a sporting attitude. He's always taken his defeats to Roger in the best way he could have, by cracking jokes about it.

Alex

Roddick's always come across as a very decent guy with a sporting attitude. He's always taken his defeats to Roger in the best way he could have, by cracking jokes about it.
I was being overly critical, I have no problem with him really. Had it been a final v he and Nadal I would have been rooting for Roddick all the way.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Nah, I think it was meant as a joke, but since he's trying to stiffle breaking down it came out a bit bitter.. He's absolutely gutted...looks like he's gonna break down any minute. He was gracious in his speech
Sat on his chair he was curled around the dish like a child around his blanket

Alex

That is a really poorly placed 15 on the back of Roger's Nike warm up jacket

Alex

So are Borg, Nadal, and Federer the only players to win the French and Wimbledon back to back

kietotheworld

Superb Final, again. I don't think Roddick was being bitter, he was clearly absolutely gutted, probably doesn't think he'll ever win it now, after that.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Another epic final. However the "VIP" box looked pretty bored.

zing

Zingle balls
Yeah, he just mouthed off to Rog, 'you had already won five times' stupid american twat
The Federer interview felt a bit sour, to be fair. I could understand why Roddick said it.. Federer was standing there with 15 slams and being a bit condescending to Roddick, who has got 1 slam all his career..

Fantastic game by Roddick. He's comes on leaps and bounds as a player..

RK

How do you know Roddick wanted it more?
I don't know it for fact, but I believe it to be pretty obvious. He's won 6 there now, and as much as every one is special, Roddick winning his first would've been something more.

VP

The match itself was pretty boring up till the 10th game in the 5th set. It got pretty intense after that though.

Federer did come across as a bit condescending but the banal interview questions didn't help either.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He's just disapeared hasn't he Roddick...gone to have a big cry and throw some shit around in the locker room...Feel bad for him, it meant so much more to him, but Federer was better, after the 2nd set tie break collapse, I could never really see him winning it. I hope he won't pick over that for the rest of his career...another great final though which is always great to see, Murray wouldn't have gone 5 sets

manufanatic

"crazy"
never really thought roger was going to break roddick. but a few games before the end i began to see a chink in the roddick armour as he was getting a bit loose on his returns. In the end it cost him because roger wasnt going to be denied.

I dont think Andy could have played any better. Small consolation to him but for all of us it was great theater.

RK

never really thought roger was going to break roddick. but a few game before the end is began to see a chink in the roddick armour as he was getting a bit loose on his returns. In the end it cost him because roger wasnt going to be denied.

I dont think Andy could have played any better. Small consolation to him but for all of us it was great theater.
With the way Federer was playing, Murray could've won in 3 sets, and I'm not even one of those that rates Murray fantastically highly.

It's all irrelevant though, because it's just ifs and buts and possiblys.

manufanatic

"crazy"
With the way Federer was playing, Murray could've won in 3 sets, and I'm not even one of those that rates Murray fantastically highly.

It's all irrelevant though, because it's just ifs and buts and possiblys.
really 50 aces over 100 winners

i dont think Roger would have had any problems with murray.

Maybe when roger retires murray will win but doubtful

Wolfboy

No relation to Wolf Man
This is already being called a classic final - I disagree. It was tedious. By the end I didn't care who won, I just wanted a break of serve.

RK

Federer only really picked it up during the third set, never know what position each player could've been in, it's pointless having this debate.

Serving was stupidly good from both players all match though.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
Magnificent from both Roddick and Federer

The intensity and hunger was immense from both

Although Roddick might have pulled it off later the turning point for me was that 2nd set tie break. Had he got it I can't have seen Rog pulling it back but it evened everything up and Roger deserved it for his sheer will to win

Fantastic exhibition of power serving from both players

As for Murray, imo he'd have been buried by Federer who would have destroyed his weak 2nd serve ...but that's for another day

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
At some point I started to count celebrities (not tennis related) in the stands. SAF, Kissinger, Ballack, Allen, Crowe, Coulthard...

CasaStreets

Still gutted for Roddick, superhuman effort that would have brought him the trophy against anyone else.

Career defining moment for Roddick now, if he can take this form into his next tournament, or sulk over this and lose focus in his training...

arjwiz

The fact that watching 5 straight hours of a tennis match felt nothing near that much indicates the greatness of this match. I wasn't hoping for a break of serve like someone opined earlier. I was looking for this to go on much longer!

Nadal-Federer last year still had that something special, but this was another astonishing game by 2 people in the peak of their form. (yes, Federer too)

The Law of Denis

I feel really bad for Roddick, if I was him I'd probably be destroying something right now. Both really deserved to win.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That was truly exhausting. It felt it would never end and i was a bundle of nerves through the 5th.

That's the best i've seen Roddick play. His serve was a literally flawless, he barely made any errors (apart from two that cost him the match) and he was vollying with authority.

Roger was well below par. I thought he had apart from his serving, which was bordering on bizzare (in a good way), the rest of his game sortof semi-turned up. For the first time i was seeing Roddick dictate to him from the back of the court, which was a rather odd sight. I just think he never got going. He wasn't striking the ball the way he does normally and his movement came across as laboured at times (which was strange for someone who doesn't touch the ground during a tennis match). But his sheer composure when he's severely under pressure, considering the weight of making history bearing on his shoulders, is something amazing. He was actually down two match points today, when he was 15-40 on his serve in the latter games of the 5th. And came up with some big serves and subsequent simply but easy to screw up under pressure winners. Whereas Roddick lost the match with two big errors on his forehand (i think).

All in all i can't bring myself to criticise Roddick. He almost did what noone thought he was capable of doing, and he played above himself (which i know is not possible, but you get the point). And delighted for Roger :). Happy :)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I think Roger was very ordinary today. His serve was unreal though. Still, delighted for him. Absolute legend.

Brophs

The One and Only
A few things...

Good match, and epic in duration rather than quality. Despite Federer being my favourite player, I was disappointed for Roddick. He was fantastic again, and it's the best I've seen him. Ever. His ground strokes have come on so much.

Also, he didn't seem pissed off to me when he said 'but you'd already won it five times'. It was just a bit of banter between two players who get on well. If he was a little pissed off who could blame him, he'd just lost the biggest match of his career.

I also don't think he was disrespectful by leaving before Federer. From memory, that's what often happens-the winner is allowed to take the applause, and the loser makes off sharpish.

Roddick comes across as a top lad, and on this year's evidence, and player who has improved his game beyond measure. Hopefully he kicks on again and puts pressure on the top four in the next few years.

Alex

Oh come on, was there really a need for 15 on your tracksuit Roger? Great champion but the man is an absolute arrogant wanker.
Yeah I know, I mean I am sure he was the sew it on last night whilst watching Golden Girls. Nike did it clearly, I reckon he could care less.

Vidicious

Flop
Yeah I know, I mean I am sure he was the sew it on last night whilst watching Golden Girls. Nike did it clearly, I reckon he could care less.
I still think hes a wanker, compared to the humble and modest nature of the likes of Bjorg and Laver, he can have all the titles he wants but he'll never hold that place in peoples hearts the two mentioned did. Fair play today though, wasnt as hungry as Roddick but the better player clearly.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
I still think hes a wanker, compared to the humble and modest nature of the likes of Bjorg and Laver, he can have all the titles he wants but he'll never hold that place in peoples hearts the two mentioned did. Fair play today though, wasnt as hungry as Roddick but the better player clearly.

Seen this a few times now - how on earth was he not a hungry as Roddick? fsakes - he was immense at 11 -11 or something he was 30 40 down - a virtual match - point but fought back