Wimbledon 2012

Nearco

youth team player
Hand picked draw for Federer. The powers that be are obviously keen for him to reach the semis this year.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ah, best tennis tournament by far. Love Wimbledon.

So why is the draw favorable to Federer? He'd probably make the semis regardless of the draw. And then make loads unforced errors and crash out :(

Varun

Staff
Yep, definitely the most entertaining to watch. If Djoko's at his best, he'l be hard to stop.

Nearco

youth team player
So why is the draw favorable to Federer? He'd probably make the semis regardless of the draw. And then make loads unforced errors and crash out :(
He hasn't made the semis the last two years. But there are no players as good as Berdych or Tsonga in his quarter. Gilles Simon may be his toughest match. But he's one of those top twenty players who generally folds as soon as Nadal and Federer are on the other side of the net.

amolbhatia50k

He hasn't made the semis the last two years. But there are no players as good as Berdych or Tsonga in his quarter. Gilles Simon may be his toughest match. But he's one of those top twenty players who generally folds as soon as Nadal and Federer are on the other side of the net.
I know he hasn't. But I expect him to. He's better this year than last year. Still won't it sadly.

Nearco

youth team player
Once players reach 30 they never get better. And his results at Roland Garros against Djokovic kind of confirm his regression.

amolbhatia50k

Once players reach 30 they never get better. And his results at Roland Garros against Djokovic kind of confirm his regression.
Sampras won a GS after numerous loses to the likes of Safin, Roddick and Hewwit.

And Federer has looked in better touch this year than the last. He's not going to improve massively at his age but he can go further in GS's than the previous year given it's just a fortnight and a few big performances.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think Fed is capable of winning Wimbledon. But if he doesn't do it this year, it won't happen at all.

amolbhatia50k

I think Fed is capable of winning Wimbledon. But if he doesn't do it this year, it won't happen at all.
I think he has at least one more Grandslam in him. Could be any of Wimbledon, Us Open or Australian Open but the key part of his game is his serve. If he can get that back to it's best, there's no reason he can be a threat in a GS. As he gets older, he's going to struggle more in the longer rallies and the best way to keep the point short is to get a nice big first serve in. His serve is as it is hard enough to read. At his peak, it was absolutely brilliant. But he's struggling big time to get a decent first serve percentage these days.

amolbhatia50k

He just needs Nadal and Djokovic to have an off day and he'll need to be on his top game to defeat them.
Top game in terms of the best he can be today or the best Federer has to offer in general?

amolbhatia50k

Federer and Nadal really ought to be the same half. I just don't like the system.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Top game in terms of the best he can be today or the best Federer has to offer in general?
In terms of whatever he has left in his game. He'll never be able to roll back the years, so asking him to do it twice against Nadal and Djokovic in consecutive games would be impossible :lol:

Ironically though, I reckon his current self has more chance to win as compared to him in his peak. He loves playing long rallies in the past, which would play right into Djokovic and Nadal's game as they're amongst the fittest players on the tour and can run for 5 sets if needed. He knows he's no longer able to run as much as he used to now, so he's trying to end rallies much quicker, which in theory would work, if it weren't for him screwing up his service game so often lately.

VP

Nadal gets a bye to the final again.

Fed's declining rapidly but I'd still say he's a level above Murray/Del Po/Tsonga.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Is he though? Tsonga beat him on grass last year. The year before he lost to Berdych.

I don't think Murray and Federer have played at Wimbledon recently because of the seedings so I couldn't tell you. But he's no more a "cut above" on grass.

amolbhatia50k

In terms of whatever he has left in his game. He'll never be able to roll back the years, so asking him to do it twice against Nadal and Djokovic in consecutive games would be impossible :lol:

Ironically though, I reckon his current self has more chance to win as compared to him in his peak. He loves playing long rallies in the past, which would play right into Djokovic and Nadal's game as they're amongst the fittest players on the tour and can run for 5 sets if needed. He knows he's no longer able to run as much as he used to now, so he's trying to end rallies much quicker, which in theory would work, if it weren't for him screwing up his service game so often lately.
That's nonsense. Federer would be the favorite for Wimbledon at his peak.

Nearco

youth team player
I've backed Berdych and Tsonga.

Both have better Wimbledon records than Murray who is a lot shorter in the market.

Tsonga almost beat Nole at Roland Garros despite the fact that clay is a better surface for the Serb. He should meet Nadal in the Quarters and I give him a chance.

Berdych has a nice draw and has to beat Djokovic and Federer to get to the Final.
He has done this before.
He is 40/1.
Get on.

amolbhatia50k

Not if he faces Nadal.
It's a 2-1 record in Federer's favor at Wimbledon. And his peak was arguably 03-07. He'd easily be favorite at Wimbledon at his peak. Two guys with 3 Wimbledon's between them certainly wouldn't.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It's a 2-1 record in Federer's favor at Wimbledon. And his peak was arguably 03-07. He'd easily be favorite at Wimbledon at his peak. Two guys with 3 Wimbledon's between them certainly wouldn't.
The only Wimbledon final Federer won against Nadal, he was second best for me.

crappycraperson

Scout
He won two!?

Disagree. He was better IMO. And performed big time in the deciding 5th set.
Federer's experienced helped him to close it out. But for me Nadal was better. Also IIRC Nadal got an unfortunate niggling injury in the fifth.

Regardless, IIRC Nadal had not even won a tournament on grass by then but still pushed Fed to the brink. Then finished the job next year. I don't think Fed being fav on Wimbledon would be that cert if he had to face Novak and Nadal in their prime.

amolbhatia50k

Federer's experienced helped him to close it out. But for me Nadal was better. Also IIRC Nadal got an unfortunate niggling injury in the fifth.

Regardless, IIRC Nadal had not even won a tournament on grass by then but still pushed Fed to the brink. Then finished the job next year. I don't think Fed being fav on Wimbledon would be that cert if he had to face Novak and Nadal in their prime.
Agree to disagree.

Considering all the free points Fed got on his serve Nadal was much the better player in the last two they played.
Right, so who got those free points for Federer on his serve? Federer himself, possibly?

crappycraperson

Scout
Odd thing about Federer has been that in his last 3 Wimbldeon finals he has won 8 sets, out of which 6 have been tie breakers! One one hand it shows good mental fortitude to win tie breakers in crucial finals but someone like him should be able to win sets outright and force his opponents to steal sets via tie breakers. Instead it has been the other way around.

Seveneric

It might be a 2-1 advantage, but if they both make it to the finals, Nadal will be favorite and rightly so. He's the better player right now on all surfaces besides indoor hardcourts.

Also, random thought, but for a player of his calibre, Federer's 5set win-loss ratio is very underwhelming. Wonder why

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Like I mentioned, I feel Federer's game at his peak plays directly into Nadal and Djokovic's game. Federer used to be able to draw out the rallies to force opponents to make mistakes when they tire. This won't work against the two as they are good enough to take sets off Federer and being able to outrun him. Federer's best chance against the both of them was always to complete the game in as few sets as possible, which is what his current game is based on, trying to end rallies as quickly as possible to make up for his loss in overall fitness.

It might be a 2-1 advantage, but if they both make it to the finals, Nadal will be favorite and rightly so. He's the better player right now on all surfaces besides indoor hardcourts.

Also, random thought, but for a player of his calibre, Federer's 5set win-loss ratio is very underwhelming. Wonder why
Because he's so overwhelming at his peak that not many players even gets a chance to play 5 sets with him, and when it's a 5 set game, it's mostly down to fitness and that's one aspect which Federer has dropped off in recent years mainly due to age.

amolbhatia50k

Federer's greatness is overrated - he won 12 of 16 titles in a 4 year period when he had no serious competition (before Nadal or Novak were even 22 yrs old).
It was also his peak. What was he supposed to do?

Who is talking about right now? Federer is well behind Nadal and even further behind Djokovic today.

Jaz

A surprisingly good win for Federer today.

I still think a Nadal, Djokovic final is the most likely outcome, but I secretly hope that Federer is able to grab one more grand-slam.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Why have we not filled this thread with sharapova pics yet? It's the right thing to do!

SCM

Robson is looking good but she needs to keep moving Schiavone around the court and make the most of whatever injury she has. As the break came at the wrong time as it has given Schiavone some momentum now she needs to break back in this game or 3rd set here we come.