Wimbledon 2013

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Don't worry if Murray doesn't win it this time as he and Djokovic are likely to be in the final of this for many years to come so he'll have other chances.

Unless Rafa can put in a proper preparation for the grass season then the top 2 are going to dominate Wimbledon and probably the hard courts for the next few years. Personally I can see Djokovic and Murray meeting again in September at the US Open final and then again at the Aussie Open presuming they go into the tournaments as 1 & 2 seeds.
They're 26, I doubt they will have more than two finals inbetween them before, just like federer/sampras/etc, a new player or two stands up and herald a new era.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I think that one of the issues is that Murray is Scottish. In a couple of years time there is a good chance that he will be representing a different country altogether. I would imagine that Murray would probably vote to stay in the Union, all the other English based Scots that I know would vote that way if they could. Murray will certainly have benefited greatly from being British, in sponsorship terms I bet that it has earned him a few more million.

Then you have his personality, it isn't something that bothers me. I actually think that he is uncomfortable in front of television cameras when he is talking. I would be amazed if he is as dour in real life.

I am English and I did want Federer to beat him last year as Fed is my favourite tennis player ever. My heart went out to Murray after that defeat. I totally respect his achievements and I am always surprised at how so many people chose to denigrate those achievements as Murray has come up short against some of the very finest tennis players to have ever lived.

It makes me laugh when people question how he pulled a girl like that too. He is second best in the world in a much admired profession and he is a multi millionaire. He operates on a level that very few people do. I am sure that there are a lot of women find that attractive.
Ill be amazed if independence is put through. 90% of people I know are all voting no. Don't want to get into too much about it in this thread though.

Murray isn't dour away from pro tennis. I've met him a few times, got a great sense of humour. I think he realises to be at his best he has to have a serious professional attitude whenever he is at a venue, just to help his mindset. Whenever he is coaching kids etc he is always laughing and joking around. He's always struck me as a regular guy, who just happens to be in demand for interviews and dislikes giving them. His coach Lendl has the same attitude apparently.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Gonna head down to city hall for this, they stick it up on big screens and it's well sunny.

Drifter

American
Some parts of the media seems to have forgotten that Djokovic his the world number one.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
and a strong favourite. He's a godlike tennis player. Sticking with my pre-tournament pick of murray as well though :)

EvilChuck

Some parts of the media seems to have forgotten that Djokovic histhe world number one.

Spain are the number 1 team in the world and lost comprehensively to Brazil last week, so home advantage can play a big part. Murray is going to have close to 15,000 people cheering for him, and while that probably wont affect Djokovic's performance itself, it should give Murray a massive boost and maybe push him to get an even better performance

Drifter

American
I would love Murray to win this, but listening to the media some have even got Djokivic going into the game as underdog.

EvilChuck

Yeah, I wouldnt go that far with it. I think it'll be extremely close. On ability I definitely think Djokovic is slightly better, but the home crowd pushing Murray will make up that differential in ability

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think that one of the issues is that Murray is Scottish. In a couple of years time there is a good chance that he will be representing a different country altogether. I would imagine that Murray would probably vote to stay in the Union, all the other English based Scots that I know would vote that way if they could. Murray will certainly have benefited greatly from being British, in sponsorship terms I bet that it has earned him a few more million.

Then you have his personality, it isn't something that bothers me. I actually think that he is uncomfortable in front of television cameras when he is talking. I would be amazed if he is as dour in real life.

I am English and I did want Federer to beat him last year as Fed is my favourite tennis player ever. My heart went out to Murray after that defeat. I totally respect his achievements and I am always surprised at how so many people chose to denigrate those achievements as Murray has come up short against some of the very finest tennis players to have ever lived.

It makes me laugh when people question how he pulled a girl like that too. He is second best in the world in a much admired profession and he is a multi millionaire. He operates on a level that very few people do. I am sure that there are a lot of women find that attractive.

I agree with you on his personality. His problem is that he's not the type of person who is really a 'superstar' or would ever really be capable of being one. The likes of Nadal and Djokovic are the sort of guys who kind of have that look and attitude that suits being a worldwide famous sportsman, while Murray is just your average Scotsman.

He's obviously not a big fan of being in front of the camera as it's not his sort of thing and people used to misconstrue that as him being dour or moody. People have now realised that he's an average guy and people always say that off the court he's got a very dry sense of humour and is a really good person. I think people have really realised that since Wimbledon last year and have come to admire his modesty and normal guy nature.

As for the match, Djokovic is slight favourite and has arguably played better in the tournament but there's no reason why Murray can't win. Djokovic might be the better player but Murray is probably just as good on grass, and he knows he can beat Djokovic in a GS final as well.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Murray should be watching these montages with the Gladiator style music in the background before he goes out on court, no pressure Andy. :lol:

walsh

Can't help but feel that Djok will be too strong but I'd love Murray to win. feck people who hate him just because he's reserved and isn't English.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Can't help but feel that Djok will be too strong but I'd love Murray to win. feck people who hate him just because he's reserved and isn't English.
How many were cheering on his brother to his doubles title a few years ago? He was a bit more likeable than Andy but also you had the tabloids hyping up what is a normal rivalry from another sport and transplanting it here. Some once a year tennis fans who listen to the wrong newspapers got precious about that.

Last year's final here, London 2012 and the US Open much improved his relationship with the general public though.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
They were playing bloody Time by Hans Zimmer (Inception) in the background, just in case you didn't realise this was a big occasion.
Yeah it sounded like Hanz Zimmer but i couldn't recall the name.

Ironic how Barker referred to the problem of pressure right after that.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
How can any British people not want Murray to win? Don't we want winners in this country?
He describes himself as "Scottish", first so, should he lose today, it will be a great day. Come on Djoko!!!!
This.
That's because he is Scottish first. No English person ever says they are British first.
Actually, most English people do describe themselves as British first and it's only the Scotch and Welsh who clamber for some sort of national identity by describing themselves as Welsh or Scotch. Anyway, Andy Murray categorically said he is Scottish, not British in an interview in his early days. Since then he's whined about the press saying he's Scottish when he loses and British when he wins. As far as I am concerned he's a moaning Scotch wanker with a bad attitude and aptitude for choking on the big occasions. Come on Djoko.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Who cares what Murray describes himself as? It's a childish mentality to want him to lose just because he claimed he was Scottish first (how dare he!)

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
He describes himself as "Scottish", first so, should he lose today, it will be a great day. Come on Djoko!!!!
Funny how the same standard of Britishness isn't applied to English people who claim English national identity before their British one.

This.

Actually, most English people do describe themselves as British first and it's only the Scotch and Welsh who clamber for some sort of national identity by describing themselves as Welsh or Scotch. Anyway, Andy Murray categorically said he is Scottish, not British in an interview in his early days. Since then he's whined about the press saying he's Scottish when he loses and British when he wins. As far as I am concerned he's a moaning Scotch wanker with a bad attitude and aptitude for choking on the big occasions. Come on Djoko.
Murray has never played down his British identity. Early on in his career the media tried to portray him as an anti-British/anti-English Scot, but because it is evidently not true, they seem to have given up and embraced him.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Who cares what Murray describes himself as? It's a childish mentality to want him to lose just because he claimed he was Scottish first (how dare he!)
What I'm saying is he only wants people's support when it suits him. Not that that matters too much, I dislike Murray's bad attitude as a whole and distinct lack of introspect when assessing his losses.