Wimbledon 2013

NinjaFletch

Draw announced today.

Murray avoided the worst draw he could have had but will likely meet Nadal or Federer in the Semi's.

Djokovic a massive favourite for me now, easy run to the final and should be comparatively fresh compared to his rivals.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Well, what to make of that. It shows the importance of collecting ranking points over the year that's for sure. Rafa has been made to pay for his shock defeat last year and his injury. If he wins Wimbledon this year, down the suspected route of Federer>Murray>Djokovic it will be without doubt the greatest achievement of his career.

Djokovic has lucked out again and has a cakewalk to the final, he's the redhot favourite now and the only really threat could come in the shape of the peerless Tommy Haas in R4 and possibly if Berdych gets his shit together in the QF. Ferrer in the SF, is there any fecking point?

I'm still backing Murray to win it. He's not had the worst draw, but Rafa in the SF is going to be an almighty battle for this "new" Andy as Rafa is the one he's never beaten on grass. This is his time, I truly believe that.

NinjaFletch

Yeah, I think it might work out for Murray.

He should get to the Semi's easily and he'll play a Nadal or Federer who should be absolutely knackered. If he sees them off easily then he should be as fresh as Djokovic and may be better for having to play real top drawer tennis.

Still think it's Nole's to lose, but Murray is probably second favourite after that draw.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Djokovic - Nadal final with Novak winning it.

If Federer over comes Nadal, Murray and Novak to win this one then there can be no debate that he is the best of all time. If Nadal does it as well then he also puts him in there as a contender now.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Even Tsonga is in that death half. fecking hell, Novak might as well had made the draw himself

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Djokovic - Nadal final with Novak winning it.

If Federer over comes Nadal, Murray and Novak to win this one then there can be no debate that he is the best of all time. If Nadal does it as well then he also puts him in there as a contender now.
There's no debate that Federer is the greatest ever for me but if Nadal wins this, beating the top 3 along the way then he gets an awful lot closer to challenging Fed's legacy. I'm seeing a Djokovic v Murray final and Murray to win it. As Wimbledon is Federer's only chance of adding another Slam to his collection, it won't be this year barring a miracle set of results.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Even though it's grass Ferrer will breeze through to the SF's, his route is hand-picked.

Liam147

On Probation
Yeah, I think it might work out for Murray.

He should get to the Semi's easily and he'll play a Nadal or Federer who should be absolutely knackered. If he sees them off easily then he should be as fresh as Djokovic and may be better for having to play real top drawer tennis.

Still think it's Nole's to lose, but Murray is probably second favourite after that draw.
Just doesn't quite work that way. Whilst they should have a harder game than Murray, you're kidding yourself if you think it'll be like THAT final. These are some of the most finely tuned athletes in the world and it won't be an all-out marathon. And if Tsonga turns up he can easily take Murray to five.

It'll really show in the final though. Playing a potential 10 sets to Nole's six is real difference.

Zen

Poor Rog. Nadal could do 5 sets vs him, Murray and Djokovic in one day though. Think he'd be up for winning that QF though, just to give their rivalry a bit of closure, exacting revenge for 2008, holding his advantage on grass, but can't see it.

NinjaFletch

Just doesn't quite work that way. Whilst they should have a harder game than Murray, you're kidding yourself if you think it'll be like THAT final. These are some of the most finely tuned athletes in the world and it won't be an all-out marathon. And if Tsonga turns up he can easily take Murray to five.

It'll really show in the final though. Playing a potential 10 sets to Nole's six is real difference.
No of course, but you'd have to think that in all likelihood Nadal v Federer will be a gruelling game and Murray's game against Tsonga considerably less so.

Liam147

On Probation
No of course, but you'd have to think that in all likelihood Nadal v Federer will be a gruelling game and Murray's game against Tsonga considerably less so.
As I said, it totally depends on which Tsonga turns up. He's more than capable of going all five with Murray, and just as capable of losing in three.

Similarly it's hard to state how Federer and Nadal will do individually. In any case you'd expect Djokovic to be in considerably better shape than his opponent should he make the final.

It's rare I go big with outright bets (tends to be a fiver here and there), but I've stuck £20 on Nole winning. Cannot see past him and 5/4 is a very good price for someone who, should he make the final will be odds-on favourite.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Gruelling for Federer yes as he won't beat him. Nadal has barely played a grass court match in 2 years so I guess who knows how he'll perform. It's grass so you can never write Federer off but from what I've seen this year he's fallen behind the "top 3".

Murray will beat Tsonga 9 times out of 10 so there's no worries there for me. Murray's game is a nightmare for the serve and volleyers out there, especially on grass as he returns so well and is probably the best tactician in the world.

Nadal's fitness is just not an issue, anyone who has seen him since January will tell you that. And with the shorter points on grass, he'll be exerting less energy anyway. It's going to be Nadal v Murray in the SF and we will see what the new Murray is made of, Nadal has been his nemesis at SW19 like no other man has. I think the one player that Murray is scared of is Nadal. He'd take any other player over playing Nadal at Wimbledon. Still think Andy's going to win it though! He'll need a bit of luck along the way though...

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
As I said, it totally depends on which Tsonga turns up. He's more than capable of going all five with Murray, and just as capable of losing in three.

Similarly it's hard to state how Federer and Nadal will do individually. In any case you'd expect Djokovic to be in considerably better shape than his opponent should he make the final.

It's rare I go big with outright bets (tends to be a fiver here and there), but I've stuck £20 on Nole winning. Cannot see past him and 5/4 is a very good price for someone who, should he make the final will be odds-on favourite.
If he faces Murray in the final I'd have it at 50/50 I really would. Djokovic beat Murray in his favourite conditions at the Aussie where he is so good it cannot be explained. Murray has beaten him at the US and last year at the Olympics, and hopefully that SW19 crowd will inspire him again.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
It would be nice to see someone other than the "big 4" win a grandslam. Last time was Del Po at the 09 US Open I think.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Murray has rarely performed against Nadal in Grand Slams, but his best form (late last year) came at a time when Nadal was injured, and I think Murray playing like that will beat Nadal on grass and hard courts more often than Nadal would beat Murray. I expect Fed to reach the quarters but I think he will be quite comfortably beaten by Nadal. Djokovic v Murray final, with Murray taking it in 4 close sets. Boom!

TheBest

SPNTBP
Murray has rarely performed against Nadal in Grand Slams, but his best form (late last year) came at a time when Nadal was injured, and I think Murray playing like that will beat Nadal on grass and hard courts more often than Nadal would beat Murray. I expect Fed to reach the quarters but I think he will be quite comfortably beaten by Nadal. Djokovic v Murray final, with Murray taking it in 4 close sets. Boom!
I would say it was Djokovic who wasn't as good as he was earlier. I'll still pick nadal to beat him. Murray obviously has improved and I'll give him a much better chance now but still nadal will be the favourite imo.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Hope Nadal wins this and can hopefully get closer to Federer's 17 slams

NM

Hope Nadal wins this and can hopefully get closer to Federer's 17 slams

To be honest, he will get it just by playing the French on a yearly basis in a while. I wonder how the world will see Nadal if he has the most slam titles but has like 10-12 of them at the French.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
If he gets to 17 regardless of how many of them are French then he has a very good claim of being the best ever. I'd say even if he gets to 15/16 he has a strong claim

NM

If he gets to 17 regardless of how many of them are French then he has a very good claim of being the best ever. I'd say even if he gets to 15/16 he has a strong claim

How would he have a strong claim if 80% of them are on one surface? I'm just curious. He needs more wins in the Aussie and US IMO.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
How would he have a strong claim if 80% of them are on one surface? I'm just curious. He needs more wins in the Aussie and US IMO.
Nadal has a much better head to head record and has beaten Federer in finals of 3 different grand slams including beating him at Wimbledon where as Federer has only ever beaten him at Wimbledon. And it's not like Nadal is shite on other surfaces mind. He has reached the finals of all the slams at least twice.

NM

Nadal has a much better head to head record and has beaten Federer in finals of 3 different grand slams including beating him at Wimbledon where as Federer has only ever beaten him at Wimbledon. And it's not like Nadal is shite on other surfaces mind. He has reached the finals of all the slams at least twice.
True, but then people will point out that without Nadal around, Fed would have around5 French opens too..

I just find it amazing that two players with such different styles are probably two of the best around.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
True, but then people will point out that without Nadal around, Fed would have around5 French opens too..

I just find it amazing that two players with such different styles are probably two of the best around.
We're very lucky to be witnessing two of the very greatest tbh. Lord knows how many slams Djokovic would have won had neither of them been there

Seveneric

:lol: Djokovic's draw. Even though he's not a natural grass courter, If he doesn't make it to the final, then he might as well give up on winning Wimbledon again.
I kind of expect the final to be Djokovic-Murray with Djokovic winning. I think Murray has improved a lot since his last slam meeting with Nadal in 2011 and if Murray meets either Nadal or Federer, I really don't expect it to end in 3 sets which would mean fatigue would factor in the final. If Federer somehow makes it to the final though, I expect him to beat Djokovic.

JP77

Hoping for a Nadal win. Anybody but Djokovic or to a lesser extent Federer.

On the other side of things, I'd be shocked if Serena doesn't win. Coming in with a 31 match winning streak, can anybody stop her? Can't see it, greatest female ever for me. Venus had to drop out though, gutted :(

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Serena winning would be a depressing outcome IMO, hoping we don't see that.

I think both Robson and Watson are in her side of the draw, it would be great if they were involved in such a giant killing but it is also asking for the "gallant in defeat" headline.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I just want Rog to win this 8th and that will be it. My fanboyism at an end. Do it with this deathly draw and be the man.

But sadly I think that extra gear has now gone.

NM

I just want Rog to win this 8th and that will be it. My fanboyism at an end. Do it with this deathly draw and be the man.

But sadly I think that extra gear has now gone.
It is.. 27-28 are the peak for a tennis player.. 30 and you are done.. He will do well to win another slam ( i hope he does)

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
For sure. He still has the skill and finesse though. Like a technical player beating a brute.

But Djokovic just has to much power, Nadal has a freakish athletic ability and ability to make 30 ridiculous get winners a game and Federer's silk aint what it used to be.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If I just turn up on the day is it possible to get centre court tickets?

Seveneric

Serena winning would be a depressing outcome IMO, hoping we don't see that.
Then you'd better hope she gets injured or is distracted, because there's no one in the WTA who's going to stand up to her game and beat her. She's just so far ahead of even the #2&3 players is unreal.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
This Darcis lad would want to get a break soon. Can't keep on not capitalising on break points against Nadal.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Rafa is usually terrible in the first week of Wimbledon. Best time to knock him out.

Abbsta

All this shouting/growling or whatever it is putting me off. Maria just overdoes it I think. I don't remember M. Seles being this bad.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Steve Darcis, a 29 year old journeyman from Belgium, has just won the first set against Nadal. Rosol can't strike twice though.
Has anyone watched Goffin before? Always impresses me when he plays, but he seems to draw the big guns in pretty much every Slam in the first round. Lost the first set against Tsonga in the tiebreak and will have to watch the highlights of that later.