Wimbledon 2015

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
is underway.

Djokovic and Serena involved in surprisingly tight first sets.

amolbhatia50k

I would have thought you lot get out of the transfer tweets thread once in awhile.

darioterios

I thought of posting there but felt Wimbledon deserved a bit of importance. Niall doesn't like megathreads either.
I think posting there will notify many more people who have been in the thread some time. Unless there's some early earthquake, I don't think even the main tennis thread will attract much attention until the weekend. most likely the sole way to keep this thread relevant is us keeping juggling until then:lol:

saivet

Still contemplating whether I should attempt to get tickets via ticketmaster for the men's quarters or men's final. I wasn't interested in buying tickets for tomorrow, but I had a trial run of the process and could have got myself one ticket on centre court tomorrow for £70.50. Quarters would cost £119 + booking fee and the final £160 + booking fee. I'm struggling to justify it, but I just feels that I should at least try.

amolbhatia50k

Still contemplating whether I should attempt to get tickets via ticketmaster for the men's quarters or men's final. I wasn't interested in buying tickets for tomorrow, but I had a trial run of the process and could have got myself one ticket on centre court tomorrow for £70.50. Quarters would cost £119 + booking fee and the final £160 + booking fee. I'm struggling to justify it, but I just feels that I should at least try.
Do the public even get tickets Quarters/semi finals /finals? Given the amount of celebrities there I assume it must be impossible to get or cost a fortune.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Just tuned into the Brown - Lu game and while the players are hitting away, the british commentator's can't stop gushing over how incredibly awesome it is that Murray has a female coach. She is a woman, we get it, now get on with it....

amolbhatia50k

I think posting there will notify many more people who have been in the thread some time. Unless there's some early earthquake, I don't think even the main tennis thread will attract much attention until the weekend. most likely the sole way to keep this thread relevant is us keeping juggling until then:lol:
Wimbledon > transfer tweets

Giggsy92

The commentators in general are pretty annoying, they talk far too much which inevitably leads to them rambling on about something completely unrelated that no one cares about. John Inverdale's the worst for not shutting up, don't mind him as a presenter but he's a terrible commentator... And he's doing the Federer match of course.

saivet

Do the public even get tickets Quarters/semi finals /finals? Given the amount of celebrities there I assume it must be impossible to get or cost a fortune.
Yeah they do. You can get tickets via the public ballot (you get no preferences, just the luck of the draw) which has already been done and also on ticketmaster because they're a sponsor. They sell tickets on ticketmaster for centre court and court no.3 at 9am the day before play, but tickets get sold out within about 2 minutes. I imagine they go even quicker for those days mentioned. The prices I mentioned are the prices you get on ticketmaster or the ballot. Unless you know a guy or a members to some sort of club, tickets are crazily expensive.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The commentators in general are pretty annoying, they talk far too much which inevitably leads to them rambling on about something completely unrelated that no one cares about. John Inverdale's the worst for not shutting up, don't mind him as a presenter but he's a terrible commentator... And he's doing the Federer match of course.
In general, I think english commentary on tennis is leagues ahead of what we get here in germany. Most of those guys aren't annoying, they are simply unbearable.

It's understandable that they talk about Murray on the english channels, but have some common courtesy and keep it to a minimum as long as they guys not playing and focus on the two doing battle on the court right now, instead of hyping up an issue that never was one (Mouresmo).

At least McEnroe is commentating the Murray match for ESPN (?). I kinda like the old grump.

amolbhatia50k

Couldn't watch it, goddamnit! Did Federer look as promising as the result (and playing time) suggests?

Kukushkin fighting bravely but I guess he'll crumble soon.
He played really well. I'm just going to savour watching the great man another Wimbledon. Will be 34 soon which in itself is hard to believe given the way he's playing. His level at his age deserves a grandslam or two but he just comes up short in the big matches late into the draw these days.

saivet

Watching Bouchard now (future Mrs) and she's struggling. Lost the opening set on a tie break.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München

saivet

Last years finalist Bouchard out in the first round against a qualifier.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Last years finalist Bouchard out in the first round against a qualifier.
She's apparently been poor since that final.
Saw a stat on twitter saying since July 2014, she has lost 24 matches and won 17. Not sure if accurate but she's had a dreadful 2015 for sure.
Had a fair few injuries I think, she retired at the tournament just before this with an injury again. Was always going to be a close to impossible task for her to get anywhere at this years Wimbledon.

I also agree with @RedSky ... :drool:

It's alright though, time for LisickiCaf :D

Pentagruel

Halep is the only true surprise on the women's side. Bouchard has been in complete free fall for a while now and any and every player can beat her. Suarez Navarro also is a grass court disaster so it's not shocking she's out. Halep though, while in a slump I actually expected to win at least the first round. Typical WTA I guess, though the ATP isn't looking much better these days in the overall scheme of things. It's becoming difficult to see any rhyme of reason in tennis with Federer and Nadal declining. I guess we've been spoiled with champions as of late with only Serena and Novak soldiering on for now. The new generation doesn't yet inspire but who knows in a couple of years.

saivet

Nishikori withdraws. Couldn't come over that calf injury

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
In my defense, I caught the snippet when he went up 3-1. The eejit handed it back to Djokovic tho.
Didn't see the first 3 games, but I can imagine what happened. Nieminen wasn't even that good 9 years ago when he was in the top 20.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Niemenen is still playing?!
Yes, and nobody knows why... always disliked him, not as a person but as a player. Utter boredom. He's basically another Victor Hanescu (aka the guy Djokovic gets to destroy in round 2 of what feels like every other tournament...)

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
So, with this game done and dusted and the admirable old man Haas being outclassed by Raonic it is time to watch Kyrgios vs. Monaco, at least until A. Zverev takes the court.

Last edited: