Wimbledon

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
Gutted for Roger :(

In a way, despite losing, I think last night's final proved Federer is still the better player. Everyone's been writing him off this year, saying his powers are waning and they have a point. He's getting on a bit now at 27. But he matched Nadal, a man you could argue is at his absolute peak, almost right to the bitter end and took 2 sets off him. If the Nadal of today could play the Federer of a couple of years ago, Federer would be the clear favourite.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
great match!
Was amusing to listen to McEnroe at the beginning talking the match up. I wonder if this match is being billed as better than McEnroe/Borg back in the day. It certainly had all the drama of those epic matches.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gutted for Roger :(

In a way, despite losing, I think last night's final proved Federer is still the better player. Everyone's been writing him off this year, saying his powers are waning and they have a point. He's getting on a bit now at 27. But he matched Nadal, a man you could argue is at his absolute peak, almost right to the bitter end and took 2 sets off him. If the Nadal of today could play the Federer of a couple of years ago, Federer would be the clear favourite.
Share your sadness GG. :(

Still want him to show his class the next two years and teach the youngsters a lesson or two and prove hes still the best. In a sense its good, Rogers for the first time not invincible. First time hes being really forced to think of improving.

WeasteDevil

Wanted Federer to win but fair play to them both, it was an ace tennis match
I wanted Federer to win as well as I didn't really want to have to put up with the media "we all want to suck Nadal's cock" fest that is now going on and will probably last for a month. Almost 30 odd % of balconies and windows have Spanish flags waving off them/out of them as it is, they don't need any more encouragement.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
What an amazing match.

Not the only one then who wanted Federer to win but as the game went on my admiration for Nadal kept going up. He deserved to win. I still think Federer is the better all round player although he is fading away from his best - which is always sad to see from a great sportsmen.

Dominant

I wanted Federer to win as well as I didn't really want to have to put up with the media "we all want to suck Nadal's cock" fest that is now going on and will probably last for a month. Almost 30 odd % of balconies and windows have Spanish flags waving off them/out of them as it is, they don't need any more encouragement.
Except that the media has been sucking Federer's cock for years now. :rolleyes:

Brophs

The One and Only
Why do people care what the media say? if you have your own mind, their opinion should be academic.

zing

Zingle balls
can someone PMSG me a torrent link to download the match?

reddevilcanada

Don't you live in Spain? They've won teh Euros and and now this, if that's not some cause for joy, then I don't know what is. At least they're realistic, not like the deluded English media who suck the national teams cock like they're the best in the world before they can even qualify. Can you imagine the madness if it was England who had such success?

Dominant

Why do people care what the media say? if you have your own mind, their opinion should be academic.
I agree. But those who are seriously thinking that the media wanks more over Nadal than Federer should think again. Federer was consistently hyped as the "best player ever" for the past few years. Now Nadal is being tipped to beat Federer in this year wimbledon only and some people can't take it?

Spoony

The People's President
Was like a young fighter against one who's just past his peak, and perhaps doesn't have the same hunger. Nadal deserved it. . .he was brilliant. Federer did well to take it as far as he did. I don't think he would've deserved the victory had he won, as Nadal played the better stuff.

That's my last post on tennis.

Don;t watch much tennis anymore. Loved the Becker, Lendl, Wilander, Edberg et al era.

amolbhatia50k

I agree. But those who are seriously thinking that the media wanks more over Nadal than Federer should think again. Federer was consistently hyped as the "best player ever" for the past few years. Now Nadal is being tipped to beat Federer in this year wimbledon only and some people can't take it?
Any player who has dominated a sport the way he has will be hyped as that. It only makes sense. Why should the media have wanked over Nadal these past four years? Federer's been miles ahead.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Don;t watch much tennis anymore. Loved the Becker, Lendl, Wilander, Edberg et al era.
I loved watching McEnroe, Becker, Noah and the likes.

I hated Lendl's playing style, just too mechanical for my liking...

Nearco

youth team player
If the grass courts going to get slower it's going to favour returns to feet making serve/volley more difficult, they should go back to a slicker surface, make the game different.
And go back to the bad old days when chumps like Ivanisevic and Kraijcek could win it. That would be a backward step imo/

lynchie

Any player who has dominated a sport the way he has will be hyped as that. It only makes sense. Why should the media have wanked over Nadal these past four years? Federer's been miles ahead.
Won the French Open 4 times in a row? Beaten Federer 5 times? Been the only player to come close to beating Federer at Wimbledon?

Not much really.

hiro

a bit late post on this but..

what an amazing match of tennis that was. seven hours I was glued in front of the telly, even when RF was two sets down I still stubbornly believed that he could take this further and when he level the sets to 2-2, I was nearly shaking, especially because Nadal was so close to winning in the 4th set tiebreak.

I'm gutted Roger lost, but it was a wholly deserved victory for Nadal. Both of them were amazing but I think Nadal edged Roger just a bit, because Roger somehow only able to convert 1 of his 13 breakpoints and his net play and volleys were sometimes poor.

Ít was an enthralling match though, and it's just a real shame that one of them has to end the match being labeled as the loser, because none of them deserve that label after that match. It's good for the sport that Roger is not alone in the top of the tennis world anymore - I think with Nadal so close it should keep Roger motivated for a long time.

I just don't agree with the way many of journalist say Roger's power is dwindling and his era is over. Barring AO this year, that man got into the final of every single tournament he entered - by no mean his power is declining.

Here's hoping that the Federer - Nadal rivalries will go on for a long time and gives us many great matches like yesterday.

amolbhatia50k

Won the French Open 4 times in a row? Beaten Federer 5 times? Been the only player to come close to beating Federer at Wimbledon?

Not much really.
Lets keep this year out of it considering we're talking about hype of the past and this year things in the media will change.

3 French open compared to 11 grandslam titles? Its an easy one. Nadal did well on one surface but Federer just won almost every other grandslam there was to win.

Dominant

I never said the media must WANK over Nadal the past few years. Please try to read first before commenting.

Spoony

The People's President
I loved watching McEnroe, Becker, Noah and the likes.

I hated Lendl's playing style, just too mechanical for my liking...
Noah was a showman. Brilliant to watch. When I first started to watch tennis, properly, McEnroe was just past his peak. . . I think Lendl was number one. Recall watching Becker for the first time, became a fan straight away. . .he was dynamite. Probably the first of a new breed.

The new rackets made a big difference, they allowed big serves and all that. Which is why it's virtually impossible to compare the likes of Borg to Sampras. That said, I think Borg's the best player ever. But Becker will always be my favourite.