With Jose still in charge - I am NOT looking forward to next season

ZAGREB RED

Yesterday was depressingly predictable, after the goal I never really had much faith in an equaliser coming, never mind winning. It's always the same, I get that pre-match buzz beforehand, but it's killed stone dead before HT in a lot of games.
It pains me to say it, but watching United just now isn't too enjoyable at times, made even worse by what City and, to a lesser extent, Liverpool are doing at the moment. I know United finished above Liverpool in the PL, but I would trade 4th place and a CL win for 2nd place and an FA Cup win - which United obviously didn't manage - any day.
It's not looking good just now, I hope things improve next season, but it's just hope rather than real expectation.
Obviously, goes without saying, I hope I am wrong.

Kapardin

The question is, even if we sign good players, can Mourinho get the best out of them? I can almost picture Savic and Sandro suddenly losing the ability to play a simple pass and becoming braindead, or struggling like Sanchez if they sign for us. It happens with all players who sign for us nowadays.

I was pro-Jose, and I still am to an extent, but doubts are now really bugging me. His love for Fellaini and Willian (who shouldn't be a target for us), his overdependence on Ibra first and now Lukaku with no tactics whatsoever and the attack looking far worse than it should.

Mourinho now reminds me more of LvG unfortunately. Can't get the best out of attacking players and meanwhile, his own signings have all underwhelmed due to some reason or another - Mkhi sold, Pogba inconsistent and struggling, Sanchez flopping hard so far, Bailly ostracized, Lindelof not ready. Literally the only signing of his who is indispensible is Lukaku. That being the case, of what use is it giving him money to spend this summer?

Mercurial

Yesterday was depressingly predictable, after the goal I never really had much faith in an equaliser coming, never mind winning. It's always the same, I get that pre-match buzz beforehand, but it's killed stone dead before HT in a lot of games.
It pains me to say it, but watching United just now isn't too enjoyable at times, made even worse by what City and, to a lesser extent, Liverpool are doing at the moment. I know United finished above Liverpool in the PL, but I would trade 4th place and a CL win for 2nd place and an FA Cup win - which United obviously didn't manage - any day.
It's not looking good just now, I hope things improve next season, but it's just hope rather than real expectation.
Obviously, goes without saying, I hope I am wrong.
At least wait to see what happens first. Roma gifted them that spot with shambolic performance lapse.
&
Let's hope they bottle it then!

AXVnee7

Agreed. That doesn't mean wanting Jose out but it's hard to be optimistic about next season. If Jose won't change his style of football here, then he never will.

It feels as if only an explosive transfer window will build the hype for next season.

BlueHaze

They knew once they hired him exactly what they would get, Mourinho will never change it doesn't matter what club he manages its his way of football and nothing else, thats why when you hire him you sacrifice the traditions of the club, but he would always give you a major trophy.

Problem is when he doesn't win anything all you get is dull and boring football, and eventually sooner or later a full meltdown, his last season at Real and Chelsea, he left the teams with a lot of negativity around them, dressing rooms divided, and players playing against him, I fear this is what might happen to us next season, I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: jojojo

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I still back him. You have to remember this is the most competitive of the top five leagues in Europe. In Germany it is just one team, same with France and Italy. So it is a lot harder to win the league or the FA Cup or the league cup in England. Then you have about twelve teams vying for the champions league. So bringing in a new manager and giving him 300 million to spend does not guarantee anything like it would in Germany or Italy or France. But a lot of supporters not just of United, but Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool cannot accept this. The team has to be number one and if they are not, the manager needs to be sacked. As of now Jose is one of the top five managers in the world and given what I have just said, we have to back him.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
This idea that Jose doesn't play attacking football is a farce.

Premier League
Played 38 games, scored 68 goals - average 1.7 goals a game

Champions League (group stage)
Played 6 games, scored 12 goals - average 2 goals a game

You don't get those kind of stats if you're parking the bus. The problem has been City have broken the Premier League record by scoring over 100 goals, so in comparison it looks like we don't score, but the fact remains we do. We put 3 past City for God's sake.

Yesterday we had the superior possession, over twice as many shots as Chelsea, more shots on target then Chelsea but it just didn't happen. But we attacked more then they did.

Furthermore, when he was managing Real Madrid, in the 2011/12 season his team scored 121 goals, setting a league record averaging 3.1 goals a game. The guy knows how to play attacking football.
The Chelsea keeper barely had a save to make yesterday. So if the efforts are not bothering the keeper then they are only stats.
The second half was more direct but barely troubled the keeper.. and yet again it was in reaction to going behind. Why not go out and attack a team while staying organised at the back. United's front players are like a fussball table front line. Static.

United have spent alot of money so in fact we have a better squad than most other clubs so we do score a few goals but most of the time this year we scored zero goals when it mattered. There are also a few games that we scored 4. Overall 68 goals is a poor return for a club of Uniteds resources.

ARSENAL scored 74 in the league this year. 74. 6 more than United. Yet they were miles off the pace. How do you perceive that stat?

Mourinho may know how to play attacking football but ive yet to see him send out a team with that tactic while here.

I hope he goes. I know he's not going anywhere so I can only hope he changes the mentality and gets some creative attacking players into his system

Mercurial

I still back him. You have to remember this is the most competitive of the top five leagues in Europe. In Germany it is just one team, same with France and Italy. So it is a lot harder to win the league or the FA Cup or the league cup in England. Then you have about twelve teams vying for the champions league. So bringing in a new manager and giving him 300 million to spend does not guarantee anything like it would in Germany or Italy or France. But a lot of supporters not just of United, but Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool cannot accept this. The team has to be number one and if they are not, the manager needs to be sacked. As of now Jose is one of the top five managers in the world and given what I have just said, we have to back him.
Emotions are running high, we are in a collective state of starvation to varying degrees, only pure 1st tier silverware win can cleanse us soon. It's not in our DNA to watch other rival fans heckle us at work, pub etc. I have faith that we will get there and we grew more now than vs under moyes/LVG.

Bearded One

I think many reactions are over the top and whilst I do not agree with Jose's every move/action/behaviour/tactics, I have to say it was always going to be a tough job getting us back to challenging so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

RedStarUnited

Winning yesterday wouldn't have changed opinions that have been formed over two years. It would merely serve to somewhat justify what Mourinho serves to offer. But when the trophies aren't there, what you're left with is very little in the way of satisfaction or enjoyment. That isn't spoiled rhetoric. It's the feelings of people with busy lives that watch football because they think it's fun - only to find it a relentless chore. For those that pay money for it every week, it's an even bigger kick in the balls. Entitlement isn't at the heart of the Mourinho debate at all. It's the lack of joy - all around.
Perfectly put.

Nikelesh Reddy

No we won't. You will be calling to replace the same lads this time next season.
He has to be given another season,he will definitely be given another season...We can't keep sacking managers at the drop of a hat....And who are we going to appoint?Pochettino?He's on a long term contract,there's no way in hell that Levy will let go of him this summer.Tuchel has already agreed to join PSG....Simeone and Allegri are staying put....

I want Jose to be given another season at the very least....And there's no top manager available this summer...So it makes no sense to get rid of Jose....

Kag

The evidence is plain to see, unless of course you're either thick or ignorant. It's The treatment by their manager and what knowledgable pundits in the media have alluded to (i.e what Lampard recently said about Pogba, or what has been reported about Shaw's history). Maybe I shouldn't have included Lingard in the list, but the rest of them have been dropped at some point during the season because they refused to do the basics of their role, or refused to work for the team and instead decide to sulk. That's not strong mental strength. It's really as simple as that and it does not take a genius to see that.
Ah, as I thought, based on the grand sum of diddly squat.

They should all smile more, get a marine cut, throw their mobile phones in the bin and choose to pick the starting eleven themselves. That'll do it.

DarkXaero

He has to be given another season,he will definitely be given another season...We can't keep sacking managers at the drop of a hat....And who are we going to appoint?Pochettino?He's on a long term contract,there's no way in hell that Levy will let go of him this summer.Tuchel has already agreed to join PSG....Simeone and Allegri are staying put....

I want Jose to be given another season at the very least....And there's no top manager available this summer...So it makes no sense to get rid of Jose....
Allegri could be available. The likes of Jardim and Sarri could also be available, and they're managers with an attacking mindset. Pochettino should be able to leave if he wants to.

northender

Supports
Preston North End
If I was a United fan, one of the things that would concern me the most at the moment is not just the 19 point gap or the style of player, but the building blocks for the future, or complete lack of them, which Mourinho is putting in at United compared to Guardiola at City. It could lead to another huge re-build a couple of years down the line when Mourinho leaves.

Shaw and Martial may leave. He is not getting the best out of Rashford. He has signed Sanchez and hopes to sign Willian and Alderweireld who will all turn 30 soon enough. Albeit expensively, Guardiola has laid foundations for the future with the signings of Sane (22) , Laporte (23), Stones (23), Ederson (24), Jesus (21), B. Silva (23), Mendy (23) and so, whereby they can now add little by little and have consistency within a very talented young squad.

What Mourinho does in the summer might define not just next season, but the next 4-5 for United. If he spends £200m on 28-30 year olds, sells young talents like Shaw and Martial, and gives players like Fellaini (30) and Young (32) new deals, it may bring some short-term success in the next season or two, but leave a huge re-building job afterwards for the next manager having to bring down the age of the squad. It shouldn't really be allowed to happen but Woodward seems totally in awe of Mourinho. Trophies are important but the handling of young players with the targeting of older ones suggests Mourinho just wants to win trophies for himself rather than build something at United.

el3mel

Their build up play is significant better than ours.
Simeone plays a boring style that will bore everyone to death if he comes here, but he does it so efficiently, something that Mourinho did in all his previous teams and surprisingly struggling to do it here. Atletico counter much, much better than us, but all other Mourinho previous teams were also countering much better than us.

Charles Miller

Atletico Madrid is praised because they're comfortable with the underdog status in their league. United dont have this "privilege" even when there are stronger teams in the EPL.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Last 4 matches we scored just one goal, it's all a bit shit really.

Smores

Allegri could be available. The likes of Jardim and Sarri could also be available, and they're managers with an attacking mindset. Pochettino should be able to leave if he wants to.
Poch isn't attacking enough for the caf. They only got 6 more goals than us despite having the best striker in the league and second best atracking midfielder.

Alabaster Codify7

It's the lack of anything that scares me.
Look, I want attacking, entertaining football. But if Jose was doing a Simeone and we were a defensive juggernaut who won with ruthless efficiency, I could overlook the lack of excitement. But we have neither.

Defensively, we're nervous, clumsy and panicky - if we didn't have DDG, our goals against column would probably have been hit by an additional 15 goals or something, this season.

Going forward, we are simply a non-entity. I'm not sure exactly what Jose is planning here. I am not looking forward to next season in the slightest and have stopped caring who we sign, as they will undoubtedly under-perform.

Andersons Dietician

Poch isn't attacking enough for the caf. They only got 6 more goals than us despite having the best striker in the league and second best atracking midfielder.
Being an attacking side isn’t just determined by how many goals you score but if you attack better and more frequently and take the risk of putting yourself in harms way to score. You could win every game 1-0 and still be considered attacking. However for me i’d Class Poch somewhere between the two schools of Jose and Pep. His team seems to have shades of both, the large physicality and then the finess of say a Pep side.

Trophy Room

All a bit meh for next season. This is made worse by the exploits of our fiercest rivals. We will be much the same next season in terms of style of play. I just wish it will more along the lines of how we played in the begin of the last season before Pogba got injured. Not sure if new players will change much.

buckooo1978

On the goals issue it is clear we didn't score enough and our total was bloated by big wins at the start of the season when we were scoring 4 regularly

our attack has been pretty ineffective in many games and we've struggled to create quality chances. We've relied on Lukaku and Fellaini at times in games when our ideas have looked very limited. Yesterday we fashioned 1 decent chance really with that Lingard pass to Rashford - apart from that though we had the Pogba header which was a rare defensive lapse by Chelsea.

Yesterday was also reflective of a wider problem - the quality of our football has only really been good in small phases of games - we tend to play really slowly for 45 minutes or more and turn it on for a short period or when we go a goal.

We don't create enough chances in games - simple as that - our expected goals for the season was 59 - 6th best in the league and just ahead of Crystal Palace which isn't good enough. Playing better for longer and creating better chances is the thing we need to improve.

SteveW

Don't even care about results anymore. Just want to enjoy watching United again. I don't look forward to games anymore. That's never happened before

ZAGREB RED

At least wait to see what happens first. Roma gifted them that spot with shambolic performance lapse.
&
Let's hope they bottle it then!
As regards the CL final, I am not looking forward to sitting watching desperately hoping for Liverpool to lose. Could go either way but I'm not sure of a Real win, should be a few goals but hopefully more for RM.
In terms of Mourinho, I am still undecided, to be honest. I still have hope he can turn it round but I'm not sure he will but am still willing to sit on the fence for the moment.

Tyinde

The problem is, after 2 years, we don't see any stable attack tactic at all. Kick the ball long forward and look what the front 3 can do is basicaly our attack plan in the last 2 years.

Btw. defending is also not as good as it looks like, without DDG is just as bad as attack.

If more transfer windows is the answer, well, any1 can do the job not just JM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercurial

As regards the CL final, I am not looking forward to sitting watching desperately hoping for Liverpool to lose. Could go either way but I'm not sure of a Real win, should be a few goals but hopefully more for RM.
In terms of Mourinho, I am still undecided, to be honest. I still have hope he can turn it round but I'm not sure he will but am still willing to sit on the fence for the moment.
Real are very much out of shape but they have the experience and organisation behind it.

Fergies Slippers

I think if we get all the right players we desperately need in (RB, LB, CM and a proper RW), the outlook of the team changes. Its then up to Jose to show what he's made of.

Jose has a proven record of winning leagues, including this one, and no longer has anything to hide behind.

If we are still then playing the same slow, clumsy football serious questions need to be asked not just of manager but the squad as a whole. At present we look nothing like team, let alone one that should be challenging on all fronts.

Cloud7

That isn't spoiled rhetoric. It's the feelings of people with busy lives that watch football because they think it's fun - only to find it a relentless chore
Don’t forget mate, there was a guy on here who literally said the words “football isn’t entertainment. If you want entertainment then go watch a movie”

To be honest I don’t know the lives that people on here live, but I fail to see how they are willing to stomach mind numbing football on the off chance the team wins something. Football is supposed a break from the mundane, something to take your mind off of your day to day life. Sure seeing the team winning is cool, but the team winning doesn’t actually add anything to my life. If I’m not enjoying the football then what is the point?

Of course someone is going to comment “why bother watching then” or “go support another team”. Those comments have become more common on here and they are absolutely disgusting. They completely disregard the love we all have for the club, in a desperate attempt to “be a better fan”

Smores

Being an attacking side isn’t just determined by how many goals you score but if you attack better and more frequently and take the risk of putting yourself in harms way to score. You could win every game 1-0 and still be considered attacking. However for me i’d Class Poch somewhere between the two schools of Jose and Pep. His team seems to have shades of both, the large physicality and then the finess of say a Pep side.
Well no if you've got a rubbish attack then you could of course be attacking without being high scoring.

That isn't the case. You can't have top players in top form playing creative attacking football whilst not being high scoring, that doesn't make any sense either the players aren't as good as made out or they're not that attacking. Its clearly the latter.

Smores

Don’t forget mate, there was a guy on here who literally said the words “football isn’t entertainment. If you want entertainment then go watch a movie”

To be honest I don’t know the lives that people on here live, but I fail to see how they are willing to stomach mind numbing football on the off chance the team wins something. Football is supposed a break from the mundane, something to take your mind off of your day to day life. Sure seeing the team winning is cool, but the team winning doesn’t actually add anything to my life. If I’m not enjoying the football then what is the point?

Of course someone is going to comment “why bother watching then” or “go support another team”. Those comments have become more common on here and they are absolutely disgusting. They completely disregard the love we all have for the club, in a desperate attempt to “be a better fan”
That is all true in a world where most don't support thier local team, for everyone else football is about just that supporting your team.

I doubt any countries fan base at the world cup will care how they win that trophy.

We'll have a chance at a domestic cup again, but league and CL will likely prove to be beyond us. In answer to your second question, the answer is "nothing" - the best managers are all in jobs.
Changed my mind. I was drunk and depressed last night; it was all too raw:lol:

Get rid of Jones and Smalling and sign a world class centre half and left back. We are improving, but it's yet to really click. We need our x-factor signing, Sanchez, to be the man Hazard is for Chelsea. We've gone from sixth to second in the league; with the right transfer activity in the summer, we could be in the hunt next season. It's vital Jose gets the squad right in the transfer window.

An Irish Red

The two big issues I have with him is his negativity and his fascination with limited players and neither of these problems is likely to change.

We'd be better off going for someone like Sarri and letting them clear the squad out and build something because this isn't working.

RedStarUnited

People love saying this but none of them can show a modern era example of a manager in Jose's predicament turning it around and winning. On the other hand, the current back to back European champions who are on course for another win would never allow this to happen at their club. Madrid sacked Benitez mid season and have since reaped the reward of it. Chelsea sack managers for fun in the last decade and yet have won everything in the same period.

Jose himself says the days of managers staying at a club for decades are over. he is already 2 years in his stint with us so at best we have 2 more years of him before he leaves us anyway.

soccerMad

Next season will be interesting, you should be looking forward to it. There are only 2 scenarios - Jose will sort out the mess with a good transfer window and we finally look like a football team OR it's gonna be a meltdown. Either way it should be interesting :lol:
Jose will need to do something. Get players in, promote youngster, change tactics, whatever. Next season will be his third season with us.

We will need to start off with a bang. A few bad result and pressure will be mounting. We must show progress.

goober88

For me is a lot of our problems begin with Jose and as long as he is staying, I dont see how we will improve. I cant even get excited for new signings because I feel they wont change enough to get us to the level we need to be at.
It took me a while to realise it but what you people have done is whined and whined to the point where you've convinced yourself that the only way for us to win is to play attacking football and not Jose-ball; that the only progress, therefore, is attacking football, which means, of course, that Jose's football is not progress; consequently, there is no hope under Jose, and that Jose must leave.

It's impressive what emotional trauma can do to a man. You have really distorted things in your anguish. It's all bullshit. We can win playing Jose's way. See all his career, Chelsea last season and Leicester playing the year before. Football fans can't look past the last game when it comes to judging a player and they can't look past the current season when it comes to judging what works. Man City were very attacking this season so that's the only way to win.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Well no if you've got a rubbish attack then you could of course be attacking without being high scoring.

That isn't the case. You can't have top players in top form playing creative attacking football whilst not being high scoring, that doesn't make any sense either the players aren't as good as made out or they're not that attacking. Its clearly the latter.
What if you come across DDG in goal and a very good Defense? So of course you can have top players, playing attacking creative football and not be high scoring through out the years with Fergie we’ve been that team. We’ve put loads of people to the sword and absolutely battered them and only won games by a goal or even worse drawn. Games against Blackburn and Brad Friedel come to mind when we’d rip them open and lay siege to their goal only to come away with a narrow win or draw.

So no your assertation I’m sorry but it’s a little foolish. You can be attacking and score no goals. The goal tally isn’t the only thing that determines if you’re a good attacking team or not.