With Jose still in charge - I am NOT looking forward to next season

King Andow

Well, I feel the same and i'm quite sad, actually. I'm a little curious about our transfer window and that's it. Mourinho is our Wenger now, that's not fun.

Pyro19

Honestly the fact that people think Mourinho tells his players not to make runs and purposely play slow football is insane. A guy who’s the most decorated and successful manager in recent PL history and one of the most successful managers in the world in the 21st century and yet he doesn’t know that you need movement and to play quickly. Seriously what’s the logic here? 95 points in the league, record before this season but is completely clueless in how to attack and even fans with basic tactical knowledge understand better than him?

Always find these comments weird
Read my quoted post again.

Mourinho will always be a risk-averse manager that tells his players to play safe and commit the least amount of errors because he believes that a team that makes the least mistakes will win. That's not playing to win rather playing not to lose until the opponent commits a mistake. This is the majority reason why we've struggled against the bottom side teams but managed to win against the top half teams.

I wish people would actually watch Mourinho teams throughout the season and judge the playing style on that instead of tossing random statistics about how a once great manager is actually the second coming of fergie and is now suddenly going to start playing attacking football if we just toss him 500 million more.

His teams have always played drab,shit and uninspired football but he's managed to make his style work in the past and win. That was the ONLY reason he's been tolerated at these clubs by both the supporters and the players.

Guess what? He hasn't won anything worthwhile for a few years now.

Ban

Read my quoted post again.

Mourinho will always be a risk-averse manager that tells his players to play safe and commit the least amount of errors because he believes that a team that makes the least mistakes will win. That's not playing to win rather playing not to lose until the opponent commits a mistake. This is the majority reason why we've struggled against the bottom side teams but managed to win against the top half teams.

I wish people would actually watch Mourinho teams throughout the season and judge the playing style on that instead of tossing random statistics about how a once great manager is actually the second coming of fergie and is now suddenly going to start playing attacking football if we just toss him 500 million more.

His teams have always played drab,shit and uninspired football but he's managed to make his style work in the past and win. That was the ONLY reason he's been tolerated at these clubs by both the supporters and the players.

Guess what? He hasn't won anything worthwhile for a few years now.
Well that's not true.

Berba's_Flick

I love it. Fellaini literally started 3 games this season in the league. 3 freaking games and people go absolutely crazy over him like all we do is hoofball to him every single game.

Boggles the mind how a guy can start 3 games a season yet be so hated by a fan base. Why the hell shouldn’t Mou want to keep a guy who’s willing to only start 3 games yet is able to come off the bench and win us games against teams like Arsenal.

This use of Fellaini as a stick to beat Mourinho with is beyond moronic. A manager get stick for having no plan b, manager get stick for having a plan b. You just can’t win
That's what it's come to unfortunately. Instant gratification. Had we won the cup yesterday half these reactions wouldn't exist. This thread wouldn't exist. I might be the minority but I actually expect us to mount a challenge next season.

Berba's_Flick

I’m looking forward to next season with him in charge. I can feel this transfer window will be huge for Jose and us.
Me too. I am sure there will be major changes. All this Martial love in appalling. He needs to step up his game, plain and simple. If he wants to sulk because he gets dropped, this isn't the place for it. If that's what his attitude is like I wouldn't shed a tear if he was sold.
We are in need of players and more in need of MEN! I for one fully excpect Mourinho to sort it out and mount a serious challenge next season

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Me too. I am sure there will be major changes. All this Martial love in appalling. He needs to step up his game, plain and simple. If he wants to sulk because he gets dropped, this isn't the place for it. If that's what his attitude is like I wouldn't shed a tear if he was sold.
We are in need of players and more in need of MEN! I for one fully excpect Mourinho to sort it out and mount a serious challenge next season
Exactly. Our biggest problem this season, aside from looking clueless in Attack, is mentality. A lot of our players are not mentally mature enough. And it’s even worse that fans defend them over the manager. Players like Martial, Pogba, Lingard, Shaw, need to grow the feck up. It’s no surprise that it’s players like Lukaku and Matic, players that are mentally strong and José trusts, are among our best performers this season.

Sereques

For me is a lot of our problems begin with Jose and as long as he is staying, I dont see how we will improve. I cant even get excited for new signings because I feel they wont change enough to get us to the level we need to be at.

If I had to choose two players situations that express how I feel about us next season it would be Martial and Fellaini. Fellaini is holding us to ransom over a contract. The same Fellaini who will be 31 next season. The same one who probably represents everything I hate about this current teams way of playing football. This is the guy we are trying to beg to stay? Why?

Martial will probably leave. For half a season he did everything in his power to win back Joses trust and his position in the team. He then goes and loses that position to a new signing who was probably unnecessary, and this happen at his best moment in the season. Martial is the most exciting player we have left at the club, and yet Jose simingly doesnt care.
Summary of the post, No Martial, no party.

TrueRed79

History tells us his tri-annual meltdown is coming. I would disagree with the op in terms of not looking forward to next season. I'm an optimistic person by nature, so won't dismiss next season out of hand before a transfer is made or ball is even kicked. It's a fairly pathetic point of view if you're even feeling disgruntled after a cup final defeat. I am not a Jose fanboy. I didn't want him here in the first place. I would be more happy if we restructured the football side of the club and had people with a vision on where we want to go in the next five years. Till that happens, i predict we will be in a vicious cycle of mediocrity where we will waste a lot of money/talent because we have literally no road map in where we want to be in the future.

steffyr2

I am, Becuase either we will win the league Or Mourinho will have had a meltdown and we can move on.
Yes, Manchester United, who used to be proud of supporting their manager now have a new strategy -- either win the league or you're fired. Jeez, do you all ever listen to yourselves? You do realize that there are other teams in world, right? That they spend money, and have players too?

Mercurial

Exactly. Our biggest problem this season, aside from looking clueless in Attack, is mentality. A lot of our players are not mentally mature enough. And it’s even worse that fans defend them over the manager. Players like Martial, Pogba, Lingard, Shaw, need to grow the feck up. It’s no surprise that it’s players like Lukaku and Matic, players that are mentally strong and José trusts, are among our best performers this season.
Lingard does seem very grounded to me and seem to be trusted a great deal.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Yes, Manchester United, who used to be proud of supporting their manager now have a new strategy -- either win the league or you're fired. Jeez, do you all ever listen to yourselves? You do realize that there are other teams in world, right? That they spend money, and have players too?
never said anything about him been fired! i don't think he will get fired if he doesn't win the league next season, nor am i saying he should be fired if he doesn't win the league next season, especially with the squad, manager and money city have.

what i said was he will have a meltdown. Mourinho is an incredibly volatite character, and i can't see him keeping him getting through another season without falling out with so many people it makes his position untenable if it becomes clear we arn't going to win the league.

Utd7

Also not looking forward to next season. Mourinho will bring in talent over the summer, maybe even the 5 or 6 quality players he wants but what’s the point when they WILL regress under his outdated, pre historic tactics?

Pep re-upping was a warning shot to us and the rest of the PL. City are going to continue dominating under this guy if we don’t bring in a progressive thinking manager (Enrique) who will get the most of out this squad.

Mourinho simply isn’t this same manager or personality that he was since Real Madrid.

Cerberus

To those who think Mourinho just needs another transfer window, why are you convinced he'll make the changes we need to the squad?

In hindsight, his transfer record has been a failure for us. Mkhitaryan was emblematic of that, to put it shortly. He wasn't always bad, and had moments of brilliance. But he was entirely inconsistent with us, and never cemented his place in the starting line up. Mourinho signed him because he had one good season with Tuchel's Dortmund. There's nothing wrong with that, per se. But the thing is, Tuchel's Dortmund played an entirely different system to Mourinho's. Mkhitaryan was also known to have mentality problems, as well. This sounds like poor scouting.

Zlatan was nearing his mid 30's when we signed him, it was obvious he was in his twilight years. Now, he was still world-class talent, and his one season with us was decent, but why choose him when we truly needed a WC striker for the future? If we bought a great striker, and got Zlatan as a bonus, that would have been understandable, but again this is poor planning for the future.

Bailly is a good defender with great potential, but his problems lie with injury issues. I'm not sure how aware Mourinho and his scouts were of Bailly's prior injury record, or if he had the same issues at Villareal. If he did, however, we should not have signed him. He's out of action half the time, and we simply have no alternative besides the utterly dreadful Jones and Smalling.

Lindelof is a bang average defender, no other way to put it. He's capable of the occasional good performance, but nothing more. I haven't seen anything to indicate greatness in him. Mourinho signed him when he knew that we needed a top-tier defender considering every one of our center backs consistently suffer from long-term injuries.

We missed out on Antoine Griezmann that summer, and it has hurt us. But I have no idea the behind-the-scenes reasons why we did so. The official reason was that Atletico Madrid had a transfer ban and Griezmann wanted to respect that, but that's not likely. Negotiations clearly broke down. But we settled on Lukaku. Lukaku is a long-ball striker with without much else on offer. He's young, so I'll give Mou brownie points for that, but strikers who are more technically skilled and possess the ability to take on defenders 1 v 1 are absolutely necessary in the modern game of football. Lukaku just can't make things happen on his own, like any top striker would. Poor future planning here from Mourinho. But I won't call it a poor signing since I don't know what happened with Griezmann, and we might not have had a choice.

Now, Alexis Sanchez. This is the most bewildering Mourinho transfer. This had the potential to be a great one, and I was excited at the prospect of finally having a talented player on the wing. However, instead of placing him in the right wing position (as we desperately needed and still do), he takes Anthony Martial, who up to that point had been having a promising season, and benches him only to put Sanchez on the left. This signing has done nothing but upset the balance of the team and possibly damaged the atmosphere in the dressing room. It has proved to me that Mourinho is truly out of his depth.

There is nothing to convince me that Mourinho will buy the players we need to balance our team. Of all his signings still here, only Matic has been a strategic one, and only Pogba has been a world-class one. Besides those two, we haven't signed a single player who I can look at and say "that's the future of Man United". Since the past is the greatest indicator of the future, there is no reason to believe Mourinho will suddenly have an incredible transfer window.

evil_geko

Neither am I, this season I missed more United matches than in my entire United following career all together.

Kindly feck off Jose, pls.

Rory 7

That's what it's come to unfortunately. Instant gratification. Had we won the cup yesterday half these reactions wouldn't exist. This thread wouldn't exist. I might be the minority but I actually expect us to mount a challenge next season.
Me too. The over reaction on here is nuts. Yesterday was disappointing, the season was disappointing but the reaction is so spoilt from most fans.

Freak

Me too. The over reaction on here is nuts. Yesterday was disappointing, the season was disappointing but the reaction is so spoilt from most fans.
There has been an influx of spoilt, entitled fans on this place recently. We are still in an important rebuilding process and Jose is the best out there for the job. Everyone wants the next big thing like a Pochettino but these 'upcoming managers' have done feck all. Then when they're hired, we have to go through the re-building process again because they'd want their own players in and that might take another 1 or 2 seasons during which the fans will get on the manager's back again after every few losses or if they do not win silverware.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I look forward to the day that we have a manager that I believe in and that excites me. I don't rule out the possibility that Jose might yet be that guy. It hasn't happened yet. End of next season is a fair time to decide?

Kostur

海尔的老板
I look forward to the day that we have a manager that I believe in and that excites me. I don't rule out the possibility that Jose might yet be that guy. It hasn't happened yet. End of next season is a fair time to decide?
Yeah I get what you're saying but I doubt that Natalie Portman would be the right fit.

Berba's_Flick

There has been an influx of spoilt, entitled fans on this place recently. We are still in an important rebuilding process and Jose is the best out there for the job. Everyone wants the next big thing like a Pochettino but these 'upcoming managers' have done feck all. Then when they're hired, we have to go through the re-building process again because they'd want their own players in and that might take another 1 or 2 seasons during which the fans will get on the manager's back again after every few losses or if they do not win silverware.
Anyone remember Andre Vilas-Boas on here? The hype, the media, the adoration, the colossal failure? Everyone wants a quick fix. None of these fans will want to remember that even Fergie struggled in his formative years here. I am not drawing parallels here at all and not saying that Mourinho is perfect, but as long as he is here I will support him. I see improvements and I see a plan. He is trying g to build something g and had a couple of his key signings worked out we'd definitely have a more attractive attack playing team. Mkhi didn't work out and Sanchez is struggling. Sort out our wings and creativity and we will be in a much better shape. We aren't far off

Kag

What vacuous, self-created scale do you use to assess mental strength, out of curiosity?

What evidence is there to suggest that the aforementioned players need to grow up? Snapchat? WhatsApp? A haircut?

Or do random fellas like Lindelof, McTominay, Mata, Herrera and Darmian need to grow up, too?

The suggestion that this is to do with fan entitlement is false. It's nothing to do with that. In many cases, all yesterday was is further confirmation that the quality of attacking football on display is dire. And the person accountable for that, after two years in the job, is the bloke in charge of managing said football team.

Winning yesterday wouldn't have changed opinions that have been formed over two years. It would merely serve to somewhat justify what Mourinho serves to offer. But when the trophies aren't there, what you're left with is very little in the way of satisfaction or enjoyment. That isn't spoiled rhetoric. It's the feelings of people with busy lives that watch football because they think it's fun - only to find it a relentless chore. For those that pay money for it every week, it's an even bigger kick in the balls. Entitlement isn't at the heart of the Mourinho debate at all. It's the lack of joy - all around.

Andersons Dietician

I mean in a way that is why you hire Jose. It’s not for the scintillating enjoyable football. You hire him to win and when he doesn’t then what are the benefits of him? If for example we had Poch and he had qualified top 4 playing like Spurs do. I’d wager he’d be given a lot more leeway and not have that demand of he has to win now. Most people would probably say cool he’s trying to get us up there he deserves another year no problem.
Obviously there is only so long he’d get that grace period but like I said. You hire Jose to win, when he doesn’t, well...

Pyro19

What vacuous, self-created scale do you use to assess mental strength, out of curiosity?

What evidence is there to suggest that the aforementioned players need to grow up? Snapchat? WhatsApp? A haircut?

Or do random fellas like Lindelof, McTominay, Mata, Herrera and Darmian need to grow up, too?

The suggestion that this is to do with fan entitlement is false. It's nothing to do with that. In many cases, all yesterday was is further confirmation that the quality of attacking football on display is dire. And the person accountable for that, after two years in the job, is the bloke in charge of managing said football team.

Winning yesterday wouldn't have changed opinions that have been formed over two years. It would merely serve to somewhat justify what Mourinho serves to offer. But when the trophies aren't there, what you're left with is very little in the way of satisfaction or enjoyment. That isn't spoiled rhetoric. It's the feelings of people with busy lives that watch football because they think it's fun - only to find it a relentless chore. For those that pay money for it every week, it's an even bigger kick in the balls. Entitlement isn't at the heart of the Mourinho debate at all. It's the lack of joy - all around.
This so much.

As someone posted above, it's become a chore to watch United for quite a few. If the trophies aren't there and the football is shit, the fans that pay good money to watch our side are going to feel frustrated and disappointed at one point or another.

evil_geko

You do realize there are many reasons people want Jose out and none of them has anything to do with us not winning the league? But you just want to simplify it to "League title".

No, people have reasons beyond not winning League title, beyond not buying most expensive players, beyond "only playing attractive for the heck of it", believe it or not.

And do not ask me to mention them as they were already mentioned thousand times over and over but some choose to ignore it and continue with their pro Jose agenda.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People are so impatient. Most of the time it takes many years for a club to create a great team.

How many years it took us to bulld the 2007/08 squad?

We signed Ferdinand in 2002/03
Ronaldo in 2003/04
Rooney in 2004/05
Vidic, Evra, Park and Van der Saar in 2005/06
Carrick in 2006/07
Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves and Tevez in 2007/08

Then, only then, we won the Champions League and became a force in Europe.

So we signed twelve important players in five years (plus some others I'm not going to mention).

How many important players do we have now? DDG, Bailly, Pogba, Matic, Lukaku and maybe Sanchez. And that's it. We're not even close to be the finished product. We are right in the middle of a rebuilding process.

Hopefully in the next two or three summer windows we'll sign the right 6-8 players that we need. If some of our young players step up (Martial, Rashford, Fosu-Menzah, Tuanzebe, Pereira, etc) that would help a lot.

Is Mourinho the right man for the job? I don't know. But who else is available? Maybe we'll have to repalce him too. But not now.

I don't expect United to be ready after this transfer window. And I don't expect United to play really well or to win things yet. "But we're United, we must play better and win things now!". Nope. Sorry, but no, it doesn't work like that. We'll have to wait.
That's a strange post.

Firstly, four of the supposed twelve were signed after we became champions of England.

Secondly, Sir Alex did not spend big. He built and developed a team including young talents. If Jose goes down that route he can have time. But he's not. He and LVG have gone total galactico spending absurd amounts of money. You can't keep hiding behind time in that scenario. Play Fosu Mensa, Martial and Rashford. Don't buy 90 million players and top earners like Sanchez and the expectations will be lower and patience will be higher. Spend huge sums including two CBs for 60/70 million who don't play? Then dont hide behind excused and demand patience.

Thirdly, Rio was signed in 02/03 and we won the league that year. That's like DDG or someone already part of the team and doesn' even count.

I love the last bit though. That takes the cake. It shows how well we're being managed when after our managers spending would have reached nearly 400 million pounds and he would have had three years to develop his team, you still don't expect us to play well or win things next season. As if Jose has been going down some frugal, let's develop from within while others spend path. Madness.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You really don't have to tell me that as posters can say what they want, but I also think when august is here many will be looking forward to the new season.
That's true for fans of any club and doesnt really mean much.

It's like saying there will people looking forward to the next DC movie.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Let's see who we sign this transfer window, however these players need to slot into the side straight away. We can no longer afford bedding in periods, otherwise we could still be miles behind City and wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool push on as well. He definitely has to get it right and also make the best of the players he has, stop moaning about them, try giving them some confidence for a change.

JK-27

This idea that Jose doesn't play attacking football is a farce.

Premier League
Played 38 games, scored 68 goals - average 1.7 goals a game

Champions League (group stage)
Played 6 games, scored 12 goals - average 2 goals a game

You don't get those kind of stats if you're parking the bus. The problem has been City have broken the Premier League record by scoring over 100 goals, so in comparison it looks like we don't score, but the fact remains we do. We put 3 past City for God's sake.

Yesterday we had the superior possession, over twice as many shots as Chelsea, more shots on target then Chelsea but it just didn't happen. But we attacked more then they did.

Furthermore, when he was managing Real Madrid, in the 2011/12 season his team scored 121 goals, setting a league record averaging 3.1 goals a game. The guy knows how to play attacking football.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Premier League

You don't get those kind of stats if you're parking the bus. The problem has been City have broken the Premier League record by scoring over 100 goals, so in comparison it looks like we don't score, but the fact remains we do. We put 3 past City for God's sake.

Yesterday we had the superior possession, over twice as many shots as Chelsea, more shots on target then Chelsea but it just didn't happen. But we attacked more then they did.

Furthermore, when he was managing Real Madrid, in the 2011/12 season his team scored 121 goals, setting a league record averaging 3.1 goals a game. The guy knows how to play attacking football.
We need to get that goal average to 2 a game or more. Under that and there is always a chance of dropped points. The fact that a number of our goals have actually come from Martial and Rashford who he has either marginalised or wrecked their confidence all to slot Sanchez into the side who has not exactly set the world alight.

manichester

I still cannot understand why we can put in a second half performance as yesterday but have this knock about attitude in the first half. Something is wrong with the preparation and mentality of the players and the way they are set up for a game. It happened many times this season and we did not learn from it.

FujiVice

He played Fellaini and Matic in the middle at home to Sevilla. A game we needed to at the very least score in. That's his legacy. When it's time to take risks and attack the opposition, he relies on old faithful. Can he play attacking football? Yes. Of course he can. With the players he's had over the last 15 years, he should be able to. Does he? Not as much as the talent he has at his disposal should suggest. It happens so many times under him. We plays shite, he's got his excuses in order, he blames the players, the fans, the pundits. He got Bailly, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, 30-odd million for a centre half who hasnt got it. It's not like he's lived on bread and water since he came here. How anyone can look at yesterday and tell me things look bright at United is beyond me. We're heading into major feck up zone with Mourinho. Next season could get really worrying.

Freak

The evidence is plain to see, unless of course you're either thick or ignorant. It's The treatment by their manager and what knowledgable pundits in the media have alluded to (i.e what Lampard recently said about Pogba, or what has been reported about Shaw's history). Maybe I shouldn't have included Lingard in the list, but the rest of them have been dropped at some point during the season because they refused to do the basics of their role, or refused to work for the team and instead decide to sulk. That's not strong mental strength. It's really as simple as that and it does not take a genius to see that.

Mercurial

Premier League

Nice post! Thanks.